PDA

View Full Version : The Right Draft Attitude

CaliforniaCheez
01-24-2008, 09:39 PM
The draft is much like opening Christmas presents.

Every team gains on draft day even if they didn't know what was in the package before it is opened.

Staring at the packages (on draft websites), rattling and shaking them (at the combine), and talking about who has the biggest boxes doesn't change what will occur.

Even the team that drafts the worst group of players can feel good in their gain. Every team is a winner on draft day.

Sometimes the belittled small package when opened becomes the best of the day years later.

What no draft guru ever tells you is that there is a process between April and July that changes all the "great prospects" to dumb rookies.

the_idle_threat
01-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Very sagacious post.

But you really should quit making excuses for your small package. :P

packinpatland
01-25-2008, 11:16 AM
The draft is much like opening Christmas presents.

Every team gains on draft day even if they didn't know what was in the package before it is opened.

Staring at the packages (on draft websites), rattling and shaking them (at the combine), and talking about who has the biggest boxes doesn't change what will occur.

Even the team that drafts the worst group of players can feel good in their gain. Every team is a winner on draft day.

Sometimes the belittled small package when opened becomes the best of the day years later.

What no draft guru ever tells you is that there is a process between April and July that changes all the "great prospects" to dumb rookies.

Did you major in Philosophy? :lol:

Seriously................nice way to look at things.

Joemailman
01-25-2008, 12:07 PM
And of course, before you even get to Christmas, you have those pre-Christmas sales. (Free-Agency) And of course, you have to ask yourself if you should spend money on something you feel you could use in case you don't get what you want for Christmas.

CaliforniaCheez
01-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Ted does well on rumage sales and tressure hunts.

Ted now has to learn to sell.

I wish he could learn more con man routines and get some more trades done. Getting a conditional pick for Morely was good as well as Thomas for Johnson.

As the talent level increases Ted has to sell cast offs and get something instead of just cutting them.

Fritz
01-26-2008, 09:11 AM
A friend of mine and I decided that it might be wise to not even bother looking at draft charts and player profiles and all that, because in the end TT picks some guy you barely heard of, you bitch and scream about how Ted could have possible passed on that wide receiver from LSU or that tight end of Maryland, and then, a few months later, there's Greg Jennings and James Jones and Ryan Grant and so on and so forth.

Might as well just so what Ted picks and smile.

MJZiggy
01-26-2008, 09:18 AM
A friend of mine and I decided that it might be wise to not even bother looking at draft charts and player profiles and all that, because in the end TT picks some guy you barely heard of, you bitch and scream about how Ted could have possible passed on that wide receiver from LSU or that tight end of Maryland, and then, a few months later, there's Greg Jennings and James Jones and Ryan Grant and so on and so forth.

Man, you hit my draft strategy dead on.

LL2
01-26-2008, 10:56 AM

Yes, very true, but we love to analyze the draft and the players to death and it gives us something to do until training camp.

Joemailman
01-26-2008, 11:04 AM
If only I knew whether TT is going to trade up or trade down, I would have this thing down. It's the not knowing that is killing me. :bang:

Bretsky
01-26-2008, 11:15 AM

:bclap:

swede
01-26-2008, 04:12 PM
I believe someone suggested, last year perhaps, that flinging monkey poo at the draft board would be as accurate as many mock drafts.

There are some ideas that are simply worthy of repeating.