PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Stat

Partial
01-25-2008, 12:40 PM
The linebackers allowed 13 plays of 20 yards or more, well below their total of 20 1/2 a year ago. The most improvement was shown by A.J. Hawk, who reduced his total from 7 1/2 to 1 1/2.

Al Harris led the team with 13, followed by Charles Woodson with 8; Atari Bigby, 7 1/2; Nick Barnett, 7; Nick Collins, 5 1/2; Tramon Williams, 5; Brady Poppinga, 4 1/2; Aaron Rouse, 2; and Jarrett Bush and Hawk, 1 1/2.

Harris more than doubled his total of 5 1/2 in '06. Woodson also had eight last year.

The secondary allowed 43, compared to 33 1/2 in 2006, 32 1/2 in '05 and 56 1/2 in '04 under coordinator Bob Slowik.

The most touchdown passes were allowed by Bigby with five, a notch less than Marquand Manuel's 5 1/2 last year. Bigby was followed by Harris and Bush with 4; Barnett, 3 1/2; Collins, 3; Woodson, Tramon Williams, Frank Walker and Jenkins, 1; and Hawk, one-half.

Looks to me like the stats back up Harris slipping quite a bit this year.

packinpatland
01-25-2008, 12:52 PM
The stats on Bigby......those allowed TD's, they from the beginning of the year?

The Leaper
01-25-2008, 12:53 PM
IMO, Harris should be considered someone who needs a replacement ASAP. I'm expecting a considerable dropoff in 2008. I would be shocked if Thompson doesn't utilize one of his first two draft picks on a CB.

Joemailman
01-25-2008, 01:16 PM
I suspect Bigby will always give up a few. Coverage isn't his strong suit, and if teams can isolate a good receiver on him, they will have some success. You just have to weigh the positive, his physical play, with his negative, his coverage ability.

The Leaper
01-25-2008, 01:29 PM
I suspect Bigby will always give up a few. Coverage isn't his strong suit, and if teams can isolate a good receiver on him, they will have some success. You just have to weigh the positive, his physical play, with his negative, his coverage ability.

That is why you need to pair him with a strong coverage safety...not Collins.

CaliforniaCheez
01-25-2008, 01:58 PM
I believe Rouse will be starting next year. He could replace either Bigby or Collins.

Harris' worst games came against good QB's or good performances by QB's.

Top corners are not grown overnight. If the Packers draft a couple of CB's they will likely replace Bush and the departing Walker.

That will leave Woodson and Harris as starters, Tramon Williams(nickel), 2 rookies, and then camp bodie(s) on the practice squad.

There could be growing pains problem if there is an injury next season.

Woodson's contract numbers increase significantly in 2009.

The Leaper
01-25-2008, 02:44 PM
One of the more interesting stats from McGinn's analysis:

"Although Kampman led the defensive line in tackles for the fourth straight season, he finished no higher than fifth in tackles per snap.

The leader in the category was Harrell, who played 196 snaps and had 31 tackles for an average of one tackle every 6.3 snaps."

The fact Harrell is around the ball that much is a good sign IMO. When he gets his feet under him, he has the chance to be a very good DT.

SkinBasket
01-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Al Harris would make a perfect nickel back for a few more seasons. An improved D line probably has a lot to do with the LBs giving up fewer big plays, since they had fewer "opportunities" do screw up and had fewer backs running full speed through the line.

b bulldog
01-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Kampy had a very quiet end of the seaon and as posted, 31 and 36 may need to be replaced next season.

jramsey495
01-26-2008, 12:18 PM
don't you have to consider that harris is always playing against the other team's #1 receiver? whichever corner gets that assignment, their numbers are always going to be higher