PDA

View Full Version : Al Davis to Kiffin: Just Quit!!!

Brando19
01-25-2008, 04:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3214665
Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis has been pushing for coach Lane Kiffin to resign and is considering Dennis Green as a potential replacement, sources close to Kiffin and the team said.

Davis has gone so far as to draft a letter of resignation for Kiffin to sign, a source said. Kiffin has refused to do so but has dared Davis to fire him instead. The letter, the source said, was sent to Kiffin two weeks ago.

One season into the job and Lane Kiffin has quite a dilemma on his hands. Raiders owner Al Davis wants him out, but Kiffin's not budging.

Kiffin, who was 4-12 in his first season as coach, has two years remaining on his contract at an estimated $2 million per year.

In the letter sent to Kiffin's legal representatives, Davis stated that only he would have control over his staff and full personnel decisions, sources said. According to a source close to Kiffin, Davis had promised Kiffin when he hired him that he would have more control over staff and personnel matters than recent Raiders coaches. Kiffin was allowed five offensive assistants and to name his own staff when he took the job after the 2006 season.

"I'm not going to comment on anything that has transpired in the past three weeks," Kiffin said from Mobile, Ala., where he and the Raiders staff are coaching the North team in the Under Armour Senior Bowl college all-star game.

The Raiders had no immediate comment.

Kiffn and Davis clashed near the conclusion of their postseason evaluation meetings when Kiffin expressed his desire to fire defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, a source said. Ryan wanted out to join the New York Jets in a similar capacity, but the Raiders released a statement asking for speculation to cease about the defensive coordinator's future.

Just this week at the Senior Bowl, Kiffin and Ryan said their relationship was fine and expected to be coaching the team in 2008. But Davis has not rescinded his request for Kiffin to step down, a source said.

As for Green's candidacy, while team sources said Davis has reached out to the veteran coach, Green said Friday, "I haven't really talked to Al about any coaching job but, really, how many times has my name been mentioned every time something goes on with the Raiders?"

The Raiders will interview James Lofton on Monday for a job, a source said. Oakland is looking for a wide receivers coach and Lofton, who has interviewed in the past to be head coach of the Raiders, was recently fired as San Diego's receivers coach.

Deputy Nutz
01-25-2008, 04:35 PM
One more point of proof that Al Davis is off his rocker.

packers11
01-25-2008, 05:15 PM
That franchise is not going to get better as long as Al Davis is at the helm...

twoseven
01-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Having to coach that miserable team for that crazy old man, Kiffin deserves every penny coming to him. I would stay as long as I could, collect that bank.

]{ilr]3
01-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Davis is the worst by far, but I view Jerry Jones and William Clay Ford in the same light. :crazy: Just Crazy! :crazy:

Bretsky
01-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Having to coach that miserable team for that crazy old man, Kiffin deserves every penny coming to him. I would stay as long as I could, collect that bank.

Completely agree; if you resign you probably don't get da money. If Al fires you the money is probably guaranteed

Bossman641
01-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Wow

I thought Kiffin was actually doing a decent job as well. That franchise is a mess, but they were certainly better in 07 than 06.

mission
01-25-2008, 06:24 PM
im sure denny green is gonna make them better...

Kiwon
01-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Al Davis :roll:

Without any make-up, he looks like a character out of the "Kill Bill" series.

Lurker64
01-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Would Denny actually take the job? Would anybody want to work for Al Davis?

MJZiggy
01-25-2008, 07:17 PM
I'd do it. (but I better have a helluv an offensive coordinator cause I don't know what I'm doing...)

Joemailman
01-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Al Davis :roll:

Without any make-up, he looks like a character out of the "Kill Bill" series.

Come on. Who wouldn't want to work for this guy?
http://partmule.com/blog16/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/al_davis.jpg

esoxx
01-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Just win Baby!!

GoPackGo
01-25-2008, 07:38 PM
The Raiders are Denying this story. FYI

digitaldean
01-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Reason #258 why Al Davis needs to get out of the NFL.....

KYPack
01-25-2008, 09:06 PM
That's one bitchin' comb-over Al's workin' there.

I bet Donnie Trump is way jealous

oregonpackfan
01-25-2008, 09:09 PM
{ilr]3]Davis is the worst by far, but I view Jerry Jones and William Clay Ford in the same light. :crazy: Just Crazy! :crazy:

Other than the money, why would any coach want to work under these owners mentioned above?

Partial
01-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Jerry Jones is a good owner. He will do whatever it takes to win.

esoxx
01-25-2008, 10:49 PM
So will Daniel Snyder.

The problem is they're in over their heads and often times let their mammoth ego get in the way.

Jones especially thinks he's some type of personnel guy and game strategist. I don't see them winning a Super Bowl again while he's there. He caught lightning in a bottle with the Jimmy Johnson hiring. Johnson was the reason for the success but Jones' ego tells him otherwise. Works for me.

Joemailman
01-25-2008, 11:32 PM
The Raiders are Denying this story. FYI

Last year, they denied reports that Art Shell was about to be fired right up until it happened. So, we'll see.

oregonpackfan
01-26-2008, 12:02 AM

If I were a coach, I would not want Jerry Jones as the owner. He micromanages too much. That includes making player personnel decisions which no owner should do.

cheesner
01-26-2008, 12:07 AM
Would Denny actually take the job? Would anybody want to work for Al Davis?crazy bastard working for a crazy bastard. Sounds like a great match.

cheesner
01-26-2008, 12:10 AM

If I were a coach, I would not want Jerry Jones as the owner. He micromanages too much. That includes making player personnel decisions which no owner should do.Yeah, with him walking the sidelines while you are trying to direct your team, that can't be good.

pbmax
01-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Every time I read that an owner or GM is trying to control who the assistants are, it makes me cringe. Usually this is a sign of turmoil and uphappiness with the way the team is going. And it is usually the first step to a divorce. Even happened with Holmgren in Seattle I think.

But then something like the Rooney's happen: They hired Mike Tomlin, a defensive coordinator who ran the Tampa 2 to be their head coach. As a condition of their offer, he must keep Dick LaBeau as his D coordinator to run the 3-4, zone-blitzing, 11 angry men defense. And it seems to work out for them.

In football terms, keeping LaBeau might be like a movie producer telling you to keep Jessica Alba as your girlfriend if you want the part, but I still think its the exception that proves the rule.

Guiness
01-26-2008, 12:19 PM
I think winning the 4 games was quite an accomplishment - I had them in the running with Miami for an 0-16 season before the year began, especially after burning the #1 pick on a guy who decided not to contribute this year.

I wonder why he wanted to get rid of Ryan though? By all accounts a very good co-ord. I guess that's why Davis stepped in, but what a mess!