PDA

View Full Version : Meth Users Stealing Statues in Your Part of the Country?

oregonpackfan
01-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Are meth users( called "tweakers" out here) stealing bronze statues in your part of the country?

Oregon has had two major instances of meth users stealing bronze statues, cutting them up, and turning them into scrap dealers so they can get money for meth.

In Portland, a bronze statue of a woman holding hands with a toddler was stolen from a high end home. A scrap dealer called the police when he found a statue's hand in the pile of scrap. The original statue was valued at $40,000. The scrap dealer paid the thieves $100.

Good police work discovered was a female private security guard and her boyfriend were the two thieves.

At the Fort Clapsop State Park, which honors the Oregon winter encampment of the Lewis and Clark expedition, a life-sized bronze statue of the Indian guide Sacagaweya was stolen from its foundation. The statue was valued at $30,000. Those thieves had received $150 for the metal.

So, is this kind of bronze statue crime involving tweakers happening in your neck of the woods?

MJZiggy
01-25-2008, 09:43 PM
So much for that Fonzie statue...

Joemailman
01-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Is the Lombardi statue in front of Lambeau bronze? :shock:

CyclonePackFan
01-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Is the Lombardi statue in front of Lambeau bronze? :shock:

That's a crime that wouldn't get due process. The bastard who tries to pull that shit will be lynched.

Jimx29
01-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Scrap theft has been a big problem for awhile up here is Barron County area.
For the past couple years i've hauled scrap whenever I can (payed for a $2000.00 trailer in 8 months), and the prices of all kinds of scrap have been going insane over the past 2 years or so.
As long as China continues to grow, they will be the main factor in the prices set for scrap and I don't see it stopping (growth) any time soon.
Stealing cooper from building sites, copper wire from LIVE sites, catalytic converters off your truck during the daytime when you're at work, aluminum rims off your car (also during daylight), scrap right out of MY OWN BACKYARD, are all related to a quick buck for the drug addicts. (one can only suspect)
Thankfully the scrapyards are making it a lot harder to turn in certain scrap such as copper, brass, etc...... If I happen to have a load of mixed scrap that's currently fetching 220 net ton, I don't mind having to fill out a little bit of personal info to get the 4-5 hundred bucks I get for most loads. At least it's a step in the right direction.

packinpatland
01-26-2008, 10:07 AM
There was a time, not that long ago, that thieves were taking the copper gutters off homes around here.

They even gotten so bold (and they have to have money) to use helicopters to steal weather vanes off the tops of homes, barns or carriage houses. An antique weather vane can be in the six figures!!!!