PDA

View Full Version : Saints to play Chargers in London

Brando19
01-26-2008, 08:06 PM
From http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

When Drew Brees left the Chargers and signed with the Saints, he likely never dreamed that his opportunity to prove the folks in San Diego that they kept the wrong guy would occur on the other side of an ocean.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the New Orleans Saints will "host" the San Diego Chargers on October 26 in London.

The game will be played at Wembley Stadium, the same venue where the Dolphins hosted the Giants in October 2007. There was some thought that the game wouldn't be played at Wembley again, because the slick soccer pitch coupled with a cold rain made the thing a sloppy mess last time around.

This time, the league wanted to provide England with a potentially high-scoring game, and the Chargers and Saints have two of the league's marquee offenses.

Brando19
01-26-2008, 08:08 PM
The date for this game has already been released. Have any dates for the Packers games been released? I noticed Green Bay will be traveling to Tennessee next season. That's not too far from where I live, so if I can find out the date, I'll start planning ahead for the time off work, etc.

packinpatland
01-26-2008, 08:45 PM
I thought the NFL 'shedgule' didn't get announced until April.

GrnBay007
01-26-2008, 08:46 PM
I don't think they release the schedule until sometime near the draft.

Brando19
01-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Ok...thanks! April's a busy month for NFL fans...the draft and the game dates revealed!

b bulldog
01-26-2008, 09:06 PM
If this is true, I'm real happy the Pack will be playing ALL OF THEIR GAMES in the good ol'USA

KYPack
01-26-2008, 10:00 PM
The NFL wants to hit 3 huge markets.

London
Tokyo
Mexico City.

You could add Berlin in there, too.

They've been trying to parse the whole deal out for years. NFL Europe was a stab at gittin' it done, but we've seen how that worked out. Holding Pre-Season contests in these markets has proved to be a mistake. Even these locals can tell the difference in exhibition games and the real deal.

Wonder what incentives are given to these teams to give up a home game?

I don't really see how this could be worked out.

The NFL is hot for this, tho. Goodell's office release a statement that we could see a Super Bowl in London in the future.

As Pete Rozelle turned over in his grave.

Jimx29
01-26-2008, 10:42 PM
don't like it
don't like it one bit

mmmdk
01-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Saints in the super bowl in 2009? Giants went to London on their road to the SB.

I'm happy that the NFL is visionary; I don't expect the misanthropic to jubilate. Ouch!! :jig:

TennesseePackerBacker
01-27-2008, 01:17 PM
The date for this game has already been released. Have any dates for the Packers games been released? I noticed Green Bay will be traveling to Tennessee next season. That's not too far from where I live, so if I can find out the date, I'll start planning ahead for the time off work, etc.

Can't wait, I'll be attending this one no matter what.