PDA

View Full Version : Redskins fire Gregg Williams

TravisWilliams23
01-27-2008, 06:33 AM
I hope TT at least brings this guy in for an interview.
Like his aggressive style of defense. He waited his turn during Gibb's stint
and for some reason Dan Snyder didn't give him the job. After watching this years
Packers defense play "vanilla', I'd sure like to see the D open a can of whoop ass!

KYPack
01-27-2008, 07:27 AM
They also fired Al Saunders, the OC.

Snyder interviews Williams for the HC job 4 times then fires him?

That guy is goofy.

The speculation is that Spagnolo, the DC of the Giants, gets the HC job week after next. He wants to name a whole new staff of his own choosing.

MJZiggy
01-27-2008, 08:01 AM
I don't know that it's TT's call to bring him in, I believe that falls with McCarthy. I know M3 is loyal to his guys, but I'd love to see someone a bit more aggressive brought in. That said, I'd love to know what went on in those 4 interviews to have this as the outcome.

Rastak
01-27-2008, 08:47 AM
and for some reason Dan Snyder didn't give him the job. After watching this years
Packers defense play "vanilla', I'd sure like to see the D open a can of whoop ass!

1) I doubt he'd have the slightest interest in anything below a coordinator position.

2) Are you suggesting firing the DC after a 13-3 season and a top 5 defensive ranking?

If #2 is true, what kind of message does that send to every coach on the staff?

KYPack
01-27-2008, 09:01 AM
Also,

Snyder has already hired a new OC.

Jim Zorn (An ex-Packer for a minute) is now the Skins OC.

Like I said, Snyder is goofy.

MJZiggy
01-27-2008, 09:03 AM
It depends. Is Zorn any good?

TravisWilliams23
01-27-2008, 09:36 AM

1) I doubt he'd have the slightest interest in anything below a coordinator position.

2) Are you suggesting firing the DC after a 13-3 season and a top 5 defensive ranking?

As to #1: I was thinking of defensive coordinator.
As to #2: Where are you getting you # 5 ranking from?
On NFL.com they list Green Bay as #11 overall. Where did you come up with a top 5?
The message it sends is that there's always room for improvement.

Rastak
01-27-2008, 09:48 AM

On NFL.com they list Green Bay as #11 overall. Where did you come up with a top 5?

Yea, my bad. They did slip a bit. Still, they were in the top third, #11 is not bad. Of course there is room for improvment. However, the message would be pretty damn negative to existing coaches I would think. If I recall correctly, this defense was praised most of the year. Unless there is some negative dynamic with the players and Sanders, I would think you'd want to show a little loyalty to the guys you fought through the season with and got you to the NFC title game.

cpk1994
01-27-2008, 09:51 AM

Yea, my bad. They did slip a bit. Still, they were in the top third, #11 is not bad. Of course there is room for improvment. However, the message would be pretty damn negative to existing coaches I would think. If I recall correctly, this defense was praised most of the year. Unless there is some negative dynamic with the players and Sanders, I would think you'd want to show a little loyalty to the guys you fought through the season with and got you to the NFC title game.NOt to mention stability at the DC position. Firing Sanders would make it 5 DC's in 6 years. For some of the players thats a 5th scheme change. Lets keep some continuity.

denverYooper
01-27-2008, 10:24 AM

Yea, my bad. They did slip a bit. Still, they were in the top third, #11 is not bad. Of course there is room for improvment. However, the message would be pretty damn negative to existing coaches I would think. If I recall correctly, this defense was praised most of the year. Unless there is some negative dynamic with the players and Sanders, I would think you'd want to show a little loyalty to the guys you fought through the season with and got you to the NFC title game.NOt to mention stability at the DC position. Firing Sanders would make it 5 DC's in 6 years. For some of the players thats a 5th scheme change. Lets keep some continuity.

Yea, it's not easy on a unit to keep changing schemes. Denver's D has suffered b/c Shanahan has a revolving door on his DC position. He fired their DC mid-season last year (at about the same time he benched Plummer) when the Broncs were 7-4 and had an above average, but not great D and they've been pretty spotty since. It's too bad, b/c they have decent talent.

pbmax
01-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Zorn is almost beside the point. Having worked with Holmgren, he at least has seen good. Plus he was a decent QB for the Seahawks.

But the best part if you are a Redskins opponent is that just like before, Danny is making football decisions without having any real football knowledge. And Vinny Cerrato doesn't count.

It depends. Is Zorn any good?

motife
01-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Bob McGinn is calling for the hiring of Greg Williams and the firing of Bob Sanders. Bob says Williams game plans are like Bellichicks.

Other McGinn recommendations :

Dump Favre. He will never win another cold weather game.

Dump the zone running game and go to a power run attack with huge, massive linemen and power running backs.

MJZiggy
01-27-2008, 01:04 PM
He can say all that and any more that he wants but the bottom line is that running the team is not his responsibility and if the team took every bit of his advice and it turned out disastrous, McGinn would not be the one held accountable, so it's easy for him to say "they should..."

Deputy Nutz
01-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Greg Williams is one of the top 3 defensive coordinators in the business. It is not about 5 different coordinators in 6 years, or loyalty. It is about getting the best player or coach available to improve the organization.

MacCool606
01-27-2008, 01:23 PM
I read McGinn's article and he doesn't come out and call for anything. But he does bring up some points that the team should consider. I'm afraid that the 07 Packers could be the 06 Saints. And their record covers up some flaws that are left flaws to maintain continuity. The rosy picture is that the Pack is young and they are only going to get better. The bleak picture is that some of these players may be as good as they are going to get.

Unless Sanders has some answers for some of the points McGinn brings up, a change should a possibility. It's nothing more than "due dilligence? as M3 used to say all the time.

The point about the ZBS that I don't get - the "guru" of the system - the coach that was with the Broncos and Falcons - I think this name is Gibbs? was out of football last year. I saw he signed with Houston. If he was interested in getting back in, why wasn't he at lease interviewed? It wasn't like we couldn't have used the help.

Badgerinmaine
01-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Jim Zorn's been coaching a long time. I remember years ago when he was a well-thought of QB coach at the University of Minnesota before the started coaching in the NFL.

Bretsky
01-27-2008, 03:05 PM
pipe dream

ND72
01-27-2008, 03:18 PM

I donno if this has been said, but NFL rule states a team must have an opening at a coaching position in order to interview anyone for a position. Which is why a lot is being made of the Raiders thing with Kiffin, if it is true, the Raiders could face penalities for talking about a position that isn't there, much like trade talk about a player, can't talk about them unless he's on your team.

b bulldog
01-28-2008, 07:31 AM
I agree with the above post that stated our Packers could be the Saints of this season, next season. We played well as a team, had some breaks and stayed injury free by NFL standards and next season I could see Brett looking old, a rash of injuries that we are due to get real soon and balls not bouncing our way. This is what makes the Giants game so disappointing. Playoff football= running game and not committing turnovers.

cpk1994
01-30-2008, 04:17 AM
Greg Williams is one of the top 3 defensive coordinators in the business. It is not about 5 different coordinators in 6 years, or loyalty. It is about getting the best player or coach available to improve the organization.But how can players get better if they are learing new schemes every year. Snaders does have the ability to improve the defense on his own you know, just as McCarthy has improved the team as a whole. Or are you saying that if Bill Bellicheck were to be fired tomorrow, the Packers should fire McCarthy and hire BB becuase it would improve the team also?

TravisWilliams23
01-30-2008, 05:46 AM
I think we all agree that Mike McCarthy is doing a great job so "NO" to replacing him. This past week the Pack signed Ryan Dougherty who is a punter they had in the pre-season and released just at the end of camp. Jon Ryan had the best net average for a Packer punter since 1969 but TT felt the TEAM should could have gotten even better production out of the punter. Let's not even bring up the last Chicago game!. Where's the good 'ole loyalty to Jonny boy here?
I just felt there was something lacking on defense from the Pack this year.It's a combination of things - players, coaches or schemes, but they weren't top 5. If bringing in Williams would improve the defense, then let's do it.

denverYooper
01-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Greg Williams is one of the top 3 defensive coordinators in the business. It is not about 5 different coordinators in 6 years, or loyalty. It is about getting the best player or coach available to improve the organization.But how can players get better if they are learing new schemes every year. Snaders does have the ability to improve the defense on his own you know, just as McCarthy has improved the team as a whole. Or are you saying that if Bill Bellicheck were to be fired tomorrow, the Packers should fire McCarthy and hire BB becuase it would improve the team also?

This analogy doesn't work because McCarthy's a better HC than 'ol scowly bill :wink: