PDA

View Full Version : 'BOYS TO MAKE A DEAL WITH THE FINS?

packers11
01-27-2008, 12:59 PM
pft.com

POSTED 12:52 p.m. EST, January 27, 2008

'BOYS TO MAKE A DEAL WITH THE FINS?

ESPN's Chris Mortensen suggested during a special edition of Sunday NFL Countdown that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is eyeing the possibility of swinging a trade with the Dolphins for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 draft.

Such a deal would allow the 'Boys to bag running back Darren McFadden, who played college football at Jones' alma mater of Arkansas.

Per Mort, any such deal would have to include the rights to Cowboys running back Marion Barber, who is slated to be a restricted free agent. To make it happen, the Cowboys would have to work out a sign-and-trade deal before Barber gets a chance to ink an offer sheet that would force the Cowboys to match the terms or let him go in exchange for compensation. Thus, the safest bet for the 'Boys would be to tender Barber at the highest possible level, which would force any team that signs him to give up a first-round pick and a third-round pick. Those extra picks then could be used to sweeten the pot for the top spot in the draft.

And it's clear that the Cowboys are going to have to find a way to enhance the two first-rounders that they can offer up for the No. 1 pick. Under the revised draft order, the Cowboys pick at No. 22 (from Cleveland) and at No. 28. Under the trade chart, the No. 22 overall pick is worth 780 points and the No. 28 selection is worth 660 points. The No. 1 selection has a value of 3,000 points; thus, the Cowboys would be a whopping 1,560 points short.

Though the trade chart arguably needs to be adjusted to reflect the fact that the enormous financial investment that is now required when using the top pick makes the prospects of a move up even more fraught with risk, the Fins could justify the 1,560-point gap by placing that value on Barber, who coupled with Ronnie Brown could give Miami a deadly one-two punch in the backfield.

Some readers think that the framework for a deal is already in place, and was part of the unspoken understanding that allowed the Dolphins to have their way with the Dallas front office and coaching staff. If that's true it wouldn't surprise us. Jones surely covets McFadden, and our guess is that he is willing to do whatever is necessary to get him.

packers11
01-27-2008, 01:04 PM
If Jerry Jones is stupid enough to trade a good RB, and half of his draft for a Rb that isn't proven in the NFL I would laugh my ass off...

Even if he turns out to be like AP, this trade is still not worth it... With those two first round picks, he should be fixing that secondary, not looking to fix a position that was already doing good...

MacCool606
01-27-2008, 01:13 PM
Wouldn't you think he would rremember the Hershal (sp?) trade? That didn't work so well for the Vikes.

Patler
01-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Maybe for some reason he doesn't think he can or wants to hang on to Barber when free agency rolls around for him. The thing we are not privy to is the relationship between the team and Barber.

Harlan Huckleby
01-27-2008, 01:26 PM
McFadden reminds me a little bit of Adrian Peterson in his running style.

But I am not so impressed with McFadden, no way do you bet the farm on him.

twoseven
01-27-2008, 04:22 PM
.and you all thought I was kidding when somebody posted that shocked look of Jones on the sidlines and I quipped that he was heavy in thought trying to figure out how he could trade for the first pick in the draft..I also mentioned he was pondering how to sign five of the top FAs..what an old sack of balls that guys is. :x

Lurker64
01-27-2008, 05:47 PM
I'd be happy to see the Cowboys do it, I'm not convinced that McFadden is a better pro-prospect than Barber; so it would be good to see Jones wager the Franchise on his imminent superstardom.

Also, it would be nice to see the Dolphins a little less hapless. You generally don't want to see any team (that doesn't play in the NFC North) flirt so closely with utter incompetence. If not out of sympathy for their fans, then at least because 1-15 teams make for pretty boring football games. Glen Dorsey or Darren McFadden is not going to make the Fins suddenly good, but about 4 first day draft picks in the next draft plus Barber would go a long way.

MJZiggy
01-27-2008, 05:50 PM
But it makes pick-em so much easier. :D

I don't know, in my book any team that wants to come in and make a fool of Jerry Jones is fine by me...(unless it's the Bears and they get some benefit out of it).

b bulldog
01-27-2008, 07:38 PM
The Tuna will want to stick Jones and the boys, never gonna happen.

Partial
01-27-2008, 07:56 PM
I'd be happy to see the Cowboys do it, I'm not convinced that McFadden is a better pro-prospect than Barber; so it would be good to see Jones wager the Franchise on his imminent superstardom.

Also, it would be nice to see the Dolphins a little less hapless. You generally don't want to see any team (that doesn't play in the NFC North) flirt so closely with utter incompetence. If not out of sympathy for their fans, then at least because 1-15 teams make for pretty boring football games. Glen Dorsey or Darren McFadden is not going to make the Fins suddenly good, but about 4 first day draft picks in the next draft plus Barber would go a long way.

I don't get why they would trade a bonafide start for a rookie? Seems really stupid to me. Barber is one of the best in the biz.

gbgary
01-27-2008, 07:59 PM
if they trade up for a running back instead of replacing their aging receivers or weak-ass secondary that'll be great. jerry in charge again will ruin them. the only reason they're where they're at is parcells insistance on running the draft. granted jones shoved owens down his throat but other than that it's all parcells.

SkinBasket
01-27-2008, 09:15 PM
Jerry's creepy, but he's not retarded. This isn't happening as reported.

The Leaper
01-28-2008, 08:17 AM
When was the last time Mort was right about anything?

Don't bother wasting your time with the morons at ESPN.

twoseven
01-28-2008, 02:33 PM

I don't get why they would trade a bonafide start for a rookie? Seems really stupid to me. Barber is one of the best in the biz.
You can thank Adrian Peterson for that.

twoseven
01-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Jerry's creepy, but he's not retarded.
Yeah, the creepy retarded guy runs the Raiders.

woodbuck27
01-28-2008, 02:41 PM
If Jerry Jones is stupid enough to trade a good RB, and half of his draft for a Rb that isn't proven in the NFL I would laugh my ass off...

Even if he turns out to be like AP, this trade is still not worth it... With those two first round picks, he should be fixing that secondary, not looking to fix a position that was already doing good...

Anyone remember Herschel Walker?

Bring it on JJ. :) Aaaaauuuuhhhhh!!

Charles Woodson
01-28-2008, 05:34 PM
i think were all missing the point of, why would the fins want another rb? brown did well before he was injured and chapman did well in his place also.

BallHawk
01-28-2008, 09:45 PM
i think were all missing the point of, why would the fins want another rb? brown did well before he was injured and chapman did well in his place also.

Two-headed RB attacks go a long way now. Chatman is hardly proven.

twoseven
01-29-2008, 04:36 AM
There's no guarantee Brown comes back and everything's as it was.