PDA

View Full Version : Run game : Dump ZBS?

motife
01-27-2008, 02:05 PM
these are some points brought up in a year end review by a certain WI news organizantion.

Tony Oday
01-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Keep it otherwise get ready for 2 more years of a changing line...

Deputy Nutz
01-27-2008, 02:24 PM
you need both, but to consistently use only the zone blocking scheme is foolish. Defenses need to game plan for both. Every team in the NFL using the ZBS in some capacity or another.

Brohm
01-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Use both.

vince
01-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Yup. Both.

The Leaper
01-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Both schemes are successful to an extent across the NFL. What it comes down to is talent on your OL. If you have the talent, you'll be OK no matter what you do. Right now, we lack experience and high end talent in the middle of the line...and it shows.

Against a smaller aggressive defense (Seattle) a ZBS attack can be gashing. Against a bigger consistent defense (Giants) you need a power attack that hits them in the mouth.

I think you need both to be truly successful in the NFL today.

Partial
01-28-2008, 10:24 AM
What they need to do is get some better players at Guard. I don't think the scheme matters too much as our men simply don't match up well with the competition.

I say stick with some backside cut based runs and implement more pulling of Wells and Colledge. Draft Owen Schmitt and have him be a lead blocker on some of the power runs.

Patler
01-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Get a fullback who has the size and power to move linebackers out of the hole. Kuhn might be that guy, although I am looking forward to seeing more of Ryan Powdrell next training camp.

Partial
01-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Who is Ryan Powdrell?

The Leaper
01-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Get a fullback who has the size and power to move linebackers out of the hole. Kuhn might be that guy, although I am looking forward to seeing more of Ryan Powdrell next training camp.

I dunno...the FBs this year did a pretty good job IMO. Their drawbacks were that they often did not recognize what they needed to do right away, and suffered because of it by being a split second late. I didn't see many times that Kuhn or Hall got demolished in the hole. Those guys seem to love hitting people...so the key will be to get them locked onto the right guy from the snap.

A bigger FB isn't always a better FB. They need to have the speed to get into the hole, or they are worthless. If they are too slow, they can push out 4 guys at once, but their own fat ass will still be in the way.

Patler
01-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Who is Ryan Powdrell?

Fullback out of Southern Cal signed as a free agent by the Packers right after the draft last Spring. Got hurt in training camp and spent the year on IR. Former linebacker. Short, but big and supposedly quite powerful. They list him at 5'11", 254 lbs.

Lurker64
01-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Who is Ryan Powdrell?

How soon we forget training camp...

He was an undrafted free agent this year, linebacker out of Southern Cal being converted to fullback. Looked big, powerful, and punishing in Training Camp, but he blew out his knee before the season and spent the year on IR.

Patler
01-28-2008, 11:44 AM

I dunno...the FBs this year did a pretty good job IMO. Their drawbacks were that they often did not recognize what they needed to do right away, and suffered because of it by being a split second late. I didn't see many times that Kuhn or Hall got demolished in the hole. Those guys seem to love hitting people...so the key will be to get them locked onto the right guy from the snap.

A bigger FB isn't always a better FB. They need to have the speed to get into the hole, or they are worthless. If they are too slow, they can push out 4 guys at once, but their own fat ass will still be in the way.

I was referring more to the 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 situations where you need a powerful guy to lead through the hole. Hall tended to shield guys more than move them. That is OK, especially with many of their zone runs. Later in the year they began using Kuhn more in those situations, and he didn't get "blown up", but he didn't really win those battles either. Short yardage requires a full back who can clean out the hole for the runner, not reach a stalemate in the hole.

MacCool606
01-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Could coaching be a concern here? When Jagz was the OC, he was supposedly well versed in the ZBS. Since he left I haven't heard much about it.

I saw a week or so ago that Houston hired the OL coach that used to be on the Denver staff. He was also a consultant with Atl for a few years. If the decision was made to keep the ZBS and improve the performance, I would think that that coach would have been brought in - as a coach or consultant.

I'm not sure knowing the X's and O's translates into teaching it, or getting the players to buy into it. (Just as Kurt Schottenheimer.)

woodbuck27
01-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Who is Ryan Powdrell?

Fullback out of Southern Cal signed as a free agent by the Packers right after the draft last Spring. Got hurt in training camp and spent the year on IR. Former linebacker. Short, but big and supposedly quite powerful. They list him at 5'11", 254 lbs.

A bowling ball of a man. Clear the track. . . :)

PACKERS FOREVER!

woodbuck27
01-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Let's upgrade at the GUARD position BIG TIME!!

We need men with some snap in their ass.

twoseven
01-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Both.