PDA

View Full Version : Time for Favre to move on?

motife
01-27-2008, 02:13 PM
more speculation from a WI news organization.

woodbuck27
01-27-2008, 02:15 PM

Why am I not surprized you placed this poll up on our board. :)

Tony Oday
01-27-2008, 02:21 PM
He is the best QB in the NFC so Ill take him...

Deputy Nutz
01-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Again, pointing the finger at Brett Favre for losing the game in the cold is ridiculous. How about a running game that completely fell apart and left Favre who is 38 years old, and isn't going to give you the same performance in minus 25 degree weather as he did when he was 27.

John Elway who is arguably the best QB of all time went out with two NFL Titles because he had the leagues best running game, not because he threw the offense and team on his shoulders and marched them to glory.

motife
01-27-2008, 02:28 PM

I think it might be time to see what they have in Aaron Rodgers, if they have confidence in him. If not then go with Favre.

I like Aaron's guts, his feet, and that he plays within the system.

Favre wins games and played brilliantly, almost all year. However, in both the Dallas game and Giants game, before it even started, I questioned how Favre would play, because both teams were on such a hot streak.

I wasn't as worried in the Seahawks game. I didn't fear them at all.

I'm not exactly sure what conditions make me nervous with Favre. Texas Stadium does, and going against a hot streak pressure defense in below zero weather became a concern after the Chicago game.

motife
01-27-2008, 02:38 PM
p.s. according to the WI news organization, there are already "advocates within" the organization saying it's time to move on.

MJZiggy
01-27-2008, 02:41 PM
The importance of that statement depends on whether said "advocates" are the locker room attendants or the coaching staff. McGinn could have found ANYONE employed by the Packers organization to say they think he should retire and that statement becomes true...

oregonpackfan
01-27-2008, 02:49 PM

Enough said!

BallHawk
01-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Much ado about nothing.

woodbuck27
01-27-2008, 03:13 PM

I think it might be time to see what they have in Aaron Rodgers, if they have confidence in him. If not then go with Favre.

I like Aaron's guts, his feet, and that he plays within the system.

Favre wins games and played brilliantly, almost all year. However, in both the Dallas game and Giants game, before it even started, I questioned how Favre would play, because both teams were on such a hot streak.

I wasn't as worried in the Seahawks game. I didn't fear them at all.

I'm not exactly sure what conditions make me nervous with Favre. Texas Stadium does, and going against a hot streak pressure defense in below zero weather became a concern after the Chicago game.

I love Favre 'Big time' Motife, and to be fair here (or to your poll) I have questions myself on how he appeared in the Giants game. I was shocked to see him so layed off or way too relaxed. Maybe it was just the cold combined with his age but this was a dream game opportunity come true for Brett and he just didn't seem to have it. He looked like he was almost going through the motions to me.

To be fair to myself I didn't look at that game again. I used to tape every game and spend the next week in analysis concentrating on various aspects of our team play. The take the Canadian press and media analysts are taking it, that it was two major things against us.

1. Favre and his age and the cold Vs Eli Manning and his youth and ability to concentrate and deliver in his pocket remarkably despite the frigid temperature. The cold has different effects on different people on different occasions. If any of you read books on mountaineering (one of my most favourite subjects to read and try to understand) you'll harvest
that fact.

2. Our OL didn't provide the run support we would have expected folllowing a great game Vs Seattle. We only saw the run called a mere 14 times ( I understand watching Sports 90 - a local TV Sports show that's on every Saturday evening and discuss,s the hot topics in sports.

MM saw that the run wasn't there as the OL didn't open up lanes for Ryan Grant to slip through. So he placed the load on Favre and the passing game. I felt that was an error to just give up on the run and MM should have gone back to a balanced playbook in the second half when we were despite questions still very much in the game.

Well we saw it. In the second half we were dominated by the Giants. We we're dominated in the battle of the clock throughout the game. MM was badly outcoached by a man that had no reason doing that in Lambeau.

I hope that as a forum we may use this thread to investigate all of this to arrive at some general consensus as to what went down all week with our team. Why we collapsed! I believe I saw another thread at PackerRats where this chance was offered to us. To see orm offer what any here might have done differently fr. a coaching perspective. We have enough solid football people on this forum to arrive at the whys and the way it might haqve been made different.

I don't know personally when I have felt so 'what was that?' in any major Packer game since I became a Packer fan. I'm totally mesmerized by our poor performance. At a loss for the answer. I hate it when we lay blame here. I like it when we get it right using our good sense.To me! It's not about blame but to arrive at some semblance of direction for our beloved Packers.

What must be the focus of our off season to get back to the NFC Championship game next season and win it. Get to the Super Bowl.

Other questions I have are:

a.) Did any of you here feel that Favre wasn't himself? Did any of you here feel that he wasn't rolling out as he often does in this game? As I see Favre that's when he's most dangerous.

b.) Where was the imaginative play calling? It started to look good right off the get go with a nice call using our rookie fullback, then gone!

c.) Where was our bread and butter play? Te quick slant catch and run.

d.)Where was Greg Jennings and James Jones in the play calling by MM?

e.) Did MM just freeze up? Favre freeze up? MM and Favre freeze up?

On Defense.

No pass rush. Eli Manning had all the time he needed to pass to be really comfortable. I mean nothing fr. Kampman or the right side as well. NOTHING!?

f.) Was our DL fatigued? The player we might lose.Coey Williams played very well but the rest except for pickett on occasion looked dragged out - lethargic.

Despite Bigby in our secondary we looked terrible. We gave Eli Manning way too much room as we did in earlier games this season. We gave Eli the middle of the field and the sideline throws all day without jumping the ball.

It reminded me of our play in the secondary in the first half of 2007.

g.) Why?

PACKERS FOREVER!

Partial
01-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Favre and Al Harris have completely become the scapegoats for a team that wasn't prepared enough.

The whole team played shitty. The coaching staff did even worse. Christ.

MJZiggy
01-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Favre and Al Harris have completely become the scapegoats for a team that wasn't prepared enough.

That's true, but I don't think you can blame it on Jesus either unless you think He affects the outcome of football games. :wink:

Partial
01-27-2008, 03:23 PM
People can blame Favre but I don't think the Giants gave him very much. They played a pretty damn good game. I don't know why no one is giving them any credit, they're all saying we blew it.

I think the better team that day won. I mean lets face it, the team is for real. In 4 weeks, they gave NE all they could handle, beat a good Tampa team on the road and in the heat, beat a #1 seed Dallas team, then came up here and knocked off the #2 seed. They almost beat a #1 and possible best team ever, they beat a #4 seed, another #1, and then a #2. They certainly deserve a ton of credit.

woodbuck27
01-27-2008, 03:24 PM

We needed to see a little more of Al Harris last Sunday in Brett Favre and more of what Favre had that day (too calm) in Al Harris. :)

I certainly don't blame that loss on any player. It looked to me like we didn't want to be there as a team. SHOCKING!! :(

PACKERS FOREVER!

woodbuck27
01-27-2008, 03:25 PM
People can blame Favre but I don't think the Giants gave him very much. They played a pretty damn good game. I don't know why no one is giving them any credit, they're all saying we blew it.

I think the better team that day won.

For sure.

I'll be pulling all the way for the NY Giants. NFC!! :)

Rastak
01-27-2008, 04:11 PM

I think the better team that day won. I mean lets face it, the team is for real. In 4 weeks, they gave NE all they could handle, beat a good Tampa team on the road and in the heat, beat a #1 seed Dallas team, then came up here and knocked off the #2 seed. They almost beat a #1 and possible best team ever, they beat a #4 seed, another #1, and then a #2. They certainly deserve a ton of credit.

True, but Green Bay beat them earlier in the year and the Vikings pounded the snot out of them IN New York.

I was on the Favre should retire bandwagon the last couple of years, but when the weather was warm this year, he did look pretty damn good. Not kind of good, really good. I was quite impressed. Thing is with old guys, you never know when age overtakes you. It didn't last year, that's for sure.

Brohm
01-27-2008, 04:58 PM
I could go either way. If farve is still capable and has his heart in it, he should continue. However, if Farve comes out with the same look on his face that he did against Chicago and NY, they need to go with Rodgers.

Pacopete4
01-27-2008, 06:50 PM
i honestly cant believe this is ever a topic on whether he should come back or not... i really thought the year he had would put this talk to rest a bit. Favres a top 3 QB in this league at 38, we should be talking about how we can make our team better and help him out because he still has a ton of game left..

there are 25 other teams in this league that would drop their QB for Favre.. how do we get on this aaron rodgers bandwagon? After Favre, we might go in a cold spell like the bears or vikings where they cant find ONE qb, let alone arguably the best ever

packinpatland
01-27-2008, 06:59 PM
What could we possibly talk about, if not Favre?? :roll:

He'll be back...........

Partial
01-27-2008, 07:15 PM

True, but Green Bay beat them earlier in the year and the Vikings pounded the snot out of them IN New York.

I was on the Favre should retire bandwagon the last couple of years, but when the weather was warm this year, he did look pretty damn good. Not kind of good, really good. I was quite impressed. Thing is with old guys, you never know when age overtakes you. It didn't last year, that's for sure.

I think the Giants were a much better team at the end of the season. Just like the Pack were at the end of last year. Plaxico was getting healthier. A second very good back emerged. Ross had more experience. Strahan was in game shape after missing training camp, etc etc. They have been nothing short of dominating the past month and that is impossible to deny.

GBRulz
01-27-2008, 07:31 PM
What was wrong with 007's Favre poll ?

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=11001

b bulldog
01-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Favre didn't play that great but he was not the only one having a subpar game by far. Brett should come back, he had a terriffic year but he needs to do better as does the rest of the team. I may be wrong but it is by far not a given that he can duplicate this season's success next season based strictly on his age. Father time always wins in the end, no matter who the person fighting him is.

Jimx29
01-27-2008, 08:15 PM
what kind of shit do ya suppose they will create after Brett commits in about 7-10 days??

motife
01-28-2008, 02:19 PM
The importance of that statement depends on whether said "advocates" are the locker room attendants...

The locker room attendants might think Favre is too messy.

I'll bet the secret source is... (Aaron Rodgers).

woodbuck27
01-28-2008, 02:25 PM
I could go either way. If Favre is still capable and has his heart in it, he should continue. However, if Favre comes out with the same look on his face that he did against Chicago and NY, they need to go with Rodgers.

I am getting right there after that loss to the Giants.

Favre's look shocked me. It was like he was in some strange place or an out of body and mind experience. Not all there.

That wasn't as I've seen him so often Brett Favre. Totall Gung Ho!

I wish we could get some explanation for what we saw. Maybe we all didn't see what I saw but the camera doesn't lie.

I'm still and always will shake my head till Favre explains it to us. Maybe he has already but I'm certainly at a loss. The Packer fans certainly deserve to know these things as we matter most.

woodbuck27
01-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Favre didn't play that great but he was not the only one having a subpar game by far. Brett should come back, he had a terriffic year but he needs to do better as does the rest of the team. I may be wrong but it is by far not a given that he can duplicate this season's success next season based strictly on his age. Father time always wins in the end, no matter who the person fighting him is.

Hey b bulldog! Your da MAN! :)

MJZiggy
01-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Looks like Favre may have other plans in '08...From his website

http://shopping.officialbrettfavre.com/i/56845df68055/pl/favre4pres_shirt_med.jpg

GrnBay007
01-28-2008, 05:03 PM
I'd buy one of those. :D

MJZiggy
01-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Ya better hurry! Evidently supplies are limited. :wink:

Kiwon
01-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Farve 4 President - scary thought but I'll buy a t-shirt.

I hope Farve stays around 4ever. No finger pointing here.

Nobody throws a better INT than Farve and no QB celebrates a TD better than #4. He's got more wins, more INTs, more TDs, more passing yards, started more games, on and on.

He's the face of GB and the NFL. His legend WILL grow after he's gone and school kids will be talking more about Farve than they will Lombardi due to all the video he has.

I say retire his jersey at a ceremony on the field at the conclusion of his last home game.

He wouldn't make a good president but he does make for an inspiring hero for generation of fans.

Packers4Ever
01-28-2008, 06:12 PM

Wow ! How could they dare to tell Favre to move on after what
he's done for the Green Bay Packers over the past 17-18 years and
what he's meant to so many, many people ??
Pretty tacky if you ask me - :x

gbgary
01-29-2008, 12:02 PM

i'll partially agree with everything except the inclusion of the D. they were on the field for 40 minutes (because everything with the O sucked) and only gave up 20 stinking points in regulation. that's more than adequate.

Carolina_Packer
01-29-2008, 01:40 PM
I would never make my determination on whether Brett should stay or go based on one sub-par game, unless it was preceded by a sub-par season with signs that he has "lost it". Look, it's disappointing as hell to find yourselves in a position to be in the Super Bowl on home field and lose the game, but that should have no bearing on whether a guy decides to hang it up or stay.

As some others have astutely pointed out...he is the reason we were playing in that NFC Championship in the first place. I think he has earned the right through his play in 2007, not just the body of his work over time, or his reputation to come back in 2008 if he so chooses.

There are plenty of things that can be tweaked or improved before next season, some of which will come from the experience of existing players, some of which will come by adding new talent. There's no reason to think this team can't compete at a high level again, as long as they take the same approach as they did in 2007, and they stay relatively healthy.

woodbuck27
01-29-2008, 02:24 PM
I just glanced back at the POLL as it presently is today:

29 - 4 weighed to Favre remaining and starting next season. Well of course YES!!!!!!!!

I think it's certainly OK to argue his time is now over but why? What is the alternative that,s as good or even close to FAVRE behind center.

Nothing as good is the correct response. To even argue otherwise is certain hollow rhetoric except in **maybe this sense** that is moot in regards to our best chance in 2008.

** That sense:

Does Aaron Rodgers have it really. How long will we have to endure finding out then?

Based on that I hope that Favre signs on early for 2008 and at least convinces us of his serious hope to get to the NFC Champioship again and to the Super Bowl with the HELP that Ted Thompson must give us and more hard work and a better senjse of how to game plan and win the HUGE game on behalf of our HC Mike McCarthy.

Then the fact that Aaron Rodgers is a FA and may have some value for us in the form of a good draft pick I want AR to leave Green Bay ASAP.

I want Favre. I want the draft pick. I want Favre I still want him to enlighten us on what was going on Vs the Giants. :)

That wasn't Brett Favre.

PACKERS FOREVER!!