PDA

View Full Version : Important Year for the Draft

privatepacker
01-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Didn't see this anywhere else so I decided to take the swim.
I know every year is important as far as the draft but I believe that this year has TT under a lot of pressure.
Not many of us expected the Packers to do as well as we did. I would bet neither did the front office. Now much is expected and there are some areas where the Packers just don't have a lot of talent or depth. That is why I believe that TT recognizes that this year he must have a draft that brings in more talent and depth then say the last few. I think the pressure of building the Packers into a Super Bowl contenter vs. a Division champion will change his drafting methods. It might also free him to go after some FA to plug holes that he just can't get in the draft.
That being said; wouldn't be surprised to see him go after OG,DE in FA and concentrate on CB/TE/LB and others in draft.
Just my opinion, but curious how others think. Until now haven't given the draft much thought but now believe that TT is after prospects in a much more aggressive manner.

oregonpackfan
01-29-2008, 10:26 AM
I agree with the assessment of needs for those positions. There are a number of skilled running backs who are declaring early for the draft who might be taken in the first round with the "best player available" mindset that many GM's have.

MadtownPacker
01-29-2008, 11:16 AM
I think it is about 100% for sure that TT trades aways that #30 pick. Some team will want someone that fell down to that spot. Dont be surprised if he pimps it into a 2nd and 3rd.

The Leaper
01-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Teams usually don't like trading up into the last spots in the first round...the players aren't any better than 5-10 spots later, but cost considerably more because of the "first round" aura.

Thompson probably will try to dump the pick, but might not be able to. In fact, I think it is very likely the OPPOSITE scenario occurs. Thompson could potential trade up 10 spots more easily...and it would cost far less than it usually does because our pick is so low. Moving from 30 to 20 isn't anywhere near as costly as moving from 20 to 10 or 15 to 5.

If Thompson sees a guy sitting on the draft board at pick #20 who he feels represents a huge value (think Aaron Rodgers) I wouldn't be shocked to see him move up to get him.

Charles Woodson
01-29-2008, 12:45 PM
If Thompson sees a guy sitting on the draft board at pick #20 who he feels represents a huge value (think Aaron Rodgers) I wouldn't be shocked to see him move up to get him.

lets hope its a cb

Carolina_Packer
01-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Teams usually don't like trading up into the last spots in the first round...the players aren't any better than 5-10 spots later, but cost considerably more because of the "first round" aura.

Thompson probably will try to dump the pick, but might not be able to. In fact, I think it is very likely the OPPOSITE scenario occurs. Thompson could potential trade up 10 spots more easily...and it would cost far less than it usually does because our pick is so low. Moving from 30 to 20 isn't anywhere near as costly as moving from 20 to 10 or 15 to 5.

Interesting. I've read your posts for a while and you know your stuff, but there is no history of TT moving up to get anyone, so why now? What leads you to believe this is the year or time? If he believes strongly in his evaluation skills enough so that he thinks he can find talent in any round that is capable of coming in and contributing and being developed, then why would he move up to get anyone? I'm not asking what we hope he will do for a particular player or in a particular situation, but what he will do, which I would base in large part on his tendencies.

swede
01-29-2008, 01:45 PM

Interesting. I've read your posts for a while and you know your stuff, but there is no history of TT moving up to get anyone, so why now? What leads you to believe this is the year or time? If he believes strongly in his evaluation skills enough so that he thinks he can find talent in any round that is capable of coming in and contributing and being developed, then why would he move up to get anyone? I'm not asking what we hope he will do for a particular player or in a particular situation, but what he will do, which I would base in large part on his tendencies.

If I might take a stab at this...

The thing about TT is that he has strong predispositions toward certain things, caution in free agency and a willingness to trade down to get more picks as two examples. But I think he may buck such trends in unusual circumstances.

If the right player were there--and obviously that player would be someone coveted by a number of teams--TT may weigh it all up and decide to cash in a few picks to get the guy that he believes is worth the trouble.

With the roster already having undergone a pretty big turnover, TT may not want to keep bringing in 14 draft picks every year.

MJZiggy
01-29-2008, 01:47 PM
I would suggest that from what TT has said and done, Leaper could be right. Over the last few drafts, TT was tearing apart the roster and had to find depth, a feat that has been accomplished at most (not all) positions, meaning that he doesn't need the volume of picks he did in past seasons. He even said as much in interviews. It's quite possible that if he really wants a player, he might move up some, but I wouldn't bet on him doing it a whole lot as he already gave up the 6th round pick for Grant.

Lurker64
01-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Are there non-important years in the draft?

Honestly, you have to draft well and get a little lucky to either a) get on top or b)stay on top. Really, the only thing different about this draft from the past many is that this is the first time we're in the position to be worrying about b) instead of a).

billy_oliver880
01-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Not to be a naysayer or anything but take a look at how many draftees the Patriots kept from this years draft. One. Thats it. I find that interesting. Not that I am saying we have a complete roster but I think we are in a position to go for "difference makers" rather then depth.

privatepacker
01-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Not to be a naysayer or anything but take a look at how many draftees the Patriots kept from this years draft. One. Thats it. I find that interesting. Not that I am saying we have a complete roster but I think we are in a position to go for "difference makers" rather then depth.

I think that's the point. Lets say TT wants to go w/ a QB in the 5th. Rd. and you have Joe Flacco of Deleware and either Josh Johnson or Dennis Dixon. Until this year I think he would have gone w/ the safe Flacco pick. Now I think he's going to pick a player that could have a greater impact but a little more risk like Johnson or Dixon.
Like I said earlier, TT has been pretty good at picking up depth but believe he's looking for those potential playmakers that also carry some risk.

KYPack
01-29-2008, 03:53 PM
I think it is about 100% for sure that TT trades aways that #30 pick. Some team will want someone that fell down to that spot. Dont be surprised if he pimps it into a 2nd and 3rd.

Quite possibly on draft day.

Parcells will 99% trade the first pick. That kind of trade down can have a ripple effect. TT is a quanity over high pick kind of GM. if he can trade down and still get a guard or a safety he's got his eye on, he will do it

woodbuck27
01-29-2008, 04:16 PM

Yup. Good chance we're not using that #30 pick.

It's been awhile since I checked but did I see some potential CB's possibly available and positioned to go late in round one? If that's the case TT may leap at a CB rather than tradedown for more TC bodies.

First round picks and Packers don't suit up very well anyway as i view that.

I certainly see a need at CB. Al Harris has his limitations ( Plaxico Burress demonstrated that fact) and Al's aging.

Ahhh screw that. So am I inn terms of years and I'm awesome. Same for the better playmaker of the two in Charles Woodson but we need help in the Nickle and Dime.

As well we need help at offensive guard and DE. I'm sick to think that TT may allow DT Cory Williams to get away and my respect for him will rise, if in fact that's not the case.

TT sign C. Williams soon.

Cory Williams was arguably our best player on 'D' in the last game.He worked very hard and that stands up for his expressed desires to remain a Packer.

b bulldog
01-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Mad, I agree 100%. Some team will look at a specific player who has a first round grade, who is falling and who would fill a need and hence a trade will be made.

Guiness
01-29-2008, 07:00 PM

Quite possibly on draft day.

Parcells will 99% trade the first pick. That kind of trade down can have a ripple effect. TT is a quanity over high pick kind of GM. if he can trade down and still get a guard or a safety he's got his eye on, he will do it

Dunno about that - I think he'll have trouble divesting himself of it for a the insane amount he'll want. And there's no Reggie Bush/Eli Manning/Russell type player at the top of the board that everyone's drooling over. Dorsey and McFadden just aren't head and shoulder enough above everyone else. I wouldn't be surprised to see no QB in the top 5.

I've posted it before - I think having the #1 pick hurts a team more than it helps them, because of the financial cost if things go badly. See: Cleveland Browns.

b bulldog
01-30-2008, 07:43 AM
In today's NFL, every draft is very important.