PDA

View Full Version : PFT : "Packer Fans Still Riled Up Over Favre Throw"

motife
01-29-2008, 05:07 PM
PACKERS FANS STILL RILED UP OVER FAVRE THROW

We've received several e-mails over the past eight days from Packers fans who are complaining openly about the performance of quarterback Brett Favre in the NFC Championship.

Some are even taking the position that he should walk away now so that a young and improving team can continue to do so with a young and improving quarterback.

And their argument is driven by a photo that has been making the rounds over the past few days. It's an image of the interception thrown by Favre in overtime against the Giants. You know, the interception that set the table for the game-winning field goal by New York.

Here it is.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/FavreThrow.jpg

With no real pressure and plenty of time to deliver the ball, Favre opted to throw the out route to the player who was covered more closely than any of the four receivers.

Look, we're not saying that the Packers would have won the game if Favre had thrown the ball to another guy. But a time when some Packers are beginning to look for reasons to argue against another season for Favre, it's providing plenty of them with all the ammo they need.

And, despite the fact that we've needled Favre plenty over the years, we think it would be a mistake for him to walk away. He's still got another year in him, and it would be great to see him ride off into the sunset with another Super Bowl trophy tucked under his arm.

BallHawk
01-29-2008, 05:10 PM
Typical stirring of the pot by PFT.

HarveyWallbangers
01-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Looks like Driver was open to me--if Favre gets it to the outside. A QB has progressions on a play. If progression #1 is open, he goes to him. I bet that most of the time Favre makes that throw. Most of the time he doesn't play in the third coldest game in playoff history.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Favre deserves blame for that game and I don't care what anyone else says. Does he deserve all the blame? no, but he sure as hell deserves a lot. When you have four open Wr in the championship game, some 20 yards down field, in overtime, and you throw a pick, that is inexcusable.

That being said I still want him back, and hopefully next years the year.

gbpackfan
01-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Grant was wide open and Donald Lee had some room crossing the middle. BUT, it does look like Favre was about to get pressured up the middle. And it's easy for us to sit back and pick Favre's decision apart. But the man has 2-4 seconds to make a decision. If we could do it, we'd be the ones out there. We can't, so let's give Favre a break.

Pacopete4
01-29-2008, 07:30 PM
watch the actual footage.. that pic doesn't show the real story

at the time of the decision to who to throw to, Jennings and Driver were just making their breaks, nether open and Lee wasn't even making his break... Grant was just breaking out from the line to become and option as well..

by the time favre threw it, jennings finally got his seperation and that is why that picture looks so bad..

please dont be dumb fans, it was a horrid throw, not a bad decision

pbmax
01-29-2008, 07:35 PM
The pic is taken after the ball had been thrown. But if #4 was locking into receivers it would explain some of the Jennings mystery. In trouble, Favre has always been willing to trust Driver.

We'll never know, but it does seem that he had more time. I read somewhere that this was a rare seven-step drop. Does anyone remember?

MJZiggy
01-29-2008, 07:44 PM
watch the actual footage.. that pic doesn't show the real story

at the time of the decision to who to throw to, Jennings and Driver were just making their breaks, nether open and Lee wasn't even making his break... Grant was just breaking out from the line to become and option as well..

by the time favre threw it, jennings finally got his seperation and that is why that picture looks so bad..

please dont be dumb fans, it was a horrid throw, not a bad decision

Even looking at this image, if he puts the ball on Driver's right shoulder, it's at worst and incompletion...

b bulldog
01-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Actually, all the WR's were open. A good throw to any of them would most likely move the chains but I think Grant would have gotten the first down if given the chance. As psoted above, Brett was not the only reason why we lost but he definitely had a hand in it and to say otherwise is foolish.

b bulldog
01-29-2008, 07:52 PM
I was actually more upset when he threw into triple coverage a few times. On the int that was thrown that Tauscher recovered the fumble, I was pulling my hair out.

Deputy Nutz
01-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Actually, all the WR's were open. A good throw to any of them would most likely move the chains but I think Grant would have gotten the first down if given the chance. As psoted above, Brett was not the only reason why we lost but he definitely had a hand in it and to say otherwise is foolish.

If Grant could catch the ball.

The throw to Driver had to be made as close to the sideline as possible. Driver had to stop his route because the ball just hung up there. Bad throw, decent read.

Deputy Nutz
01-29-2008, 08:03 PM
I was actually more upset when he threw into triple coverage a few times. On the int that was thrown that Tauscher recovered the fumble, I was pulling my hair out.

I was pissed at Favre as well, and it was still his choice to launch the ball, but if you watch that play, Favre was scrambling to his left and in the replay there is Robinson sitting between two defenders waving his hands like he was on a life boat. Favre saw the receiver signaling that he was open when he surely wasn't. That is the type of stuff with Robinson that makes me want to pull my hair out.

b bulldog
01-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Granted if Grant could catch the ball but a Grant supporter would probably say, if Brett could have hit him in stride for once, cause he didn't all day long.

b bulldog
01-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Your blaming that on KRob?? You said yourself that he was waiving his arm in between two defenders, if you saw that, why didn't the QB? Let's not make excuses for Brett like we are not making excuses for anyone else in that game.

b bulldog
01-29-2008, 08:12 PM
bRETT IS MY SECOND favorite QB but I pull my hair out when he makes decisions like that. As I stated the day after, both my favorite QB's had bad games on Championship Sunday.

Deputy Nutz
01-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Your blaming that on KRob?? You said yourself that he was waiving his arm in between two defenders, if you saw that, why didn't the QB? Let's not make excuses for Brett like we are not making excuses for anyone else in that game.

When you are on the move as QB it is tough to see everybody and sometimes you trust the receiver that is jumping around like he is on a burning balcony to actually be open. I am not one to usually sit around and find excuses for Favre, I find it pointless and the end all is that Favre is the one that threw the football, and the ultimate responsibility is on him, Robinson doesn't get tagged with an INT in the stat column.

b bulldog
01-29-2008, 08:19 PM
:bclap:

b bulldog
01-29-2008, 08:19 PM
In all honesty, the Oline did a nice job in pass protection

MadtownPacker
01-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Jennings' defender had safety help coming, Lee wasnt any more open than Driver. Only Grant appears open.

Considering DD was the only one catching the damn ball all night I cant blame Favre for going to him when he was 1-on-1. He just made a bad throw.

b bulldog
01-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Good point, a properly thrown ball definitely doesn't get picked. As inconsistent the wr's were that night, Brett was just as inconsistent with his throws. It wasw a team L :x

mission
01-29-2008, 08:33 PM
1. how many legit drops did grant have on the year?

2. bulldog if you're implying that tom brady is your favorite quarterback, then, well, I'm going to assume you're 17... and everything you say from here on out is severely discredited IMO ;)

Patler
01-29-2008, 09:04 PM
There is another thing the photo fails to show - throwing lanes. Just because a receiver is open doesn't mean there is a path for the ball to get to him, or that the QB can even see him with the linemen in the way. The elevation of the photo doesn't do this justice. A higher view would actually show lanes better.

Even so, if you crank everything back to BEFORE the throw, it looks like left was pretty well obscured by Colledge, Wells and whoever it is between them. Center and right is more visible.

Not a bad decision at all, Driver is breaking open too. Just a bad, bad throw.

Bretsky
01-29-2008, 09:12 PM
In all honesty, the Oline did a nice job in pass protection

Seemed to do a nice job backing up into pass protection on running plays as well :lol:

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-29-2008, 09:21 PM

The throw to Driver had to be made as close to the sideline as possible. Driver had to stop his route because the ball just hung up there. Bad throw, decent read.

If Grant could catch the ball?? So now we don't throw to wide open players because his hands are that shitty. Why is he even in the game then? Hell, if he can't catch, then why even re-sign him? Face it, Favre f-ed up in the playoffs like he has been doing regularly now. And to be honest it's getting hard to defend him anymore.

packers11
01-29-2008, 09:25 PM
1. how many legit drops did grant have on the year?

2. bulldog if you're implying that tom brady is your favorite quarterback, then, well, I'm going to assume you're 17... and everything you say from here on out is severely discredited IMO ;)

bulldog is a closet patriots fan, I have said it all along... I cannot wait, because if they lose, bulldog will be crying for weeks... He'll be more upset over the patriots loss then when the packers lost...

Hey bulldog... What happened to your little tommy in the championship game??? He did throw 3 interceptions right??? No... Never mind, the receivers ran the wrong routes... :roll:

b bulldog
01-29-2008, 09:39 PM
sHOW ME where I'm making excuses for him like everyone in here is doing for Brett :lol: When you find my excuses, please post them :lol:

b bulldog
01-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Not a Pats fan, just a Brady fan :lol: and damn proud of it.

b bulldog
01-29-2008, 09:43 PM
WR's running the wrong routes were only the excuses Brett gets, now the excuse is the WR's dropped the balls so this forces Brett into triple coverage or quadruple coverage?

Partial
01-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Looks like Driver was open to me--if Favre gets it to the outside. A QB has progressions on a play. If progression #1 is open, he goes to him. I bet that most of the time Favre makes that throw. Most of the time he doesn't play in the third coldest game in playoff history.

Ladies and Gentleman, Harvey Wallbangers, the voice of reason.

This photo is ridiculous too imo. How many times does something like this happen in a game? I am guessing on at least 10 passing plays a game. If #1 is open, you go to him.

If people want to pin the entire game on one play, they're out of their minds. Favre wasn't rushing the passer. Favre wasn't running (or attempting to run) the rock.

The reality is Favre made a bad throw on what appeared to be a fine decision. It happens.

As for PFT, Bob McGinn and all the other publications, Favre made a career year proving everyone wrong. I see no reason he won't silence the critics again next year.

As for anyone saying he is terrible in the cold, I would like to point you to the Seahawks game where he led 6 straight touchdown drives and he was the NFL's golden boy destined for a showdown against the Evil Pats.

Gimme a break. They want to criticize a guy for throwing a couple of inaccurate passes in what feels like -40. I am very, very surprised by what Bobby McGinn had to say. It contradicts the stance he took all year.

Pacopete4
01-29-2008, 10:10 PM
it was a bad throw, plain and simple.. it happens in the game, yes bad timing but oh well.. no one played well for the pack and we didnt deserve to win

cpk1994
01-30-2008, 03:59 AM

Ladies and Gentleman, Harvey Wallbangers, the voice of reason.

This photo is ridiculous too imo. How many times does something like this happen in a game? I am guessing on at least 10 passing plays a game. If #1 is open, you go to him.

If people want to pin the entire game on one play, they're out of their minds. Favre wasn't rushing the passer. Favre wasn't running (or attempting to run) the rock.

The reality is Favre made a bad throw on what appeared to be a fine decision. It happens.

As for PFT, Bob McGinn and all the other publications, Favre made a career year proving everyone wrong. I see no reason he won't silence the critics again next year.

As for anyone saying he is terrible in the cold, I would like to point you to the Seahawks game where he led 6 straight touchdown drives and he was the NFL's golden boy destined for a showdown against the Evil Pats.

Gimme a break. They want to criticize a guy for throwing a couple of inaccurate passes in what feels like -40. I am very, very surprised by what Bobby McGinn had to say. It contradicts the stance he took all year.

I agree with you. You can also point out the Raiders and Lions drubbings in cold weather as well. He won 3 out of 5 games in the cold this year, how is that terrible?

b bulldog
01-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Who is pinning the L on Brett??? i THOUGHT ALL IN HERE WERE IN LINE WITH THE GAME BEING A TEAM LOSS.

GBRulz
01-30-2008, 07:48 AM
Not a Pats fan, just a Brady fan :lol: and damn proud of it.

Me, too....but for different reasons than bulldog :wink:

KYPack
01-30-2008, 07:55 AM
Trick photography!

Seriously, single frames like this can be a distorted view of game action. I thought it was a shit toss at the time & still do. But many times, you could take one still shot and critique the hell out of the QB. He's making that throw real time, not analyzing a photo of it like we are.

Zool
01-30-2008, 08:22 AM
ref comes out

"Holding, #73 offense"

denverYooper
01-30-2008, 09:03 AM
ref comes out
"Holding, #73 offense"

:lol: I was thinking the same about the fullback.

Deputy Nutz
01-30-2008, 09:38 AM

If Grant could catch the ball?? So now we don't throw to wide open players because his hands are that shitty. Why is he even in the game then? Hell, if he can't catch, then why even re-sign him? Face it, Favre f-ed up in the playoffs like he has been doing regularly now. And to be honest it's getting hard to defend him anymore.

Yep Favre fucked up, just like Grant fucked up the week before and luckily for him the team had Favre to pull it from the ashes down 14-0. All I kept hearing when the Pack was down 14 was, "I hope Favre doesn't do this, and doesn't do that." The Pressure wasn't put on Grant because of his mistakes, it was put on Favre. Grant couldn't possibly do any worse, he had a clean slate, people were just worried about Favre losing control.

How good would Grant be if the coaches went to him and said, "Favre isn't playing well, it is time for you to carry the load and lead us into victory." The kid would shit his pants.

We continually expect Favre to win games for us, but when he doesn't when he falls, we make comments about him messing up, and that we are sick of it. Well I guess I get sick of it over the last 17 years as well but I realize I will be cheering my ass off the next time Favre has the ball in his hands in overtime with the expectation that Packers will win, because I trust in Favre, unlike you.

b bulldog
01-30-2008, 10:12 AM
I must admit, although I want Brett to come back next year, my trust in Brett isn't real high and personally, I don't see how anyones could be high. I may be wrong with here but this is just my humble opinion.

MadtownPacker
01-30-2008, 12:22 PM
I must admit, although I want Brett to come back next year, my trust in Brett isn't real high and personally, I don't see how anyones could be high. I may be wrong with here but this is just my humble opinion.So is you trust in brady low too? Cuz he has been throwing a shitload of INT in his last few playoff games as well and I aint just talking about last weekend.

gbgary
01-30-2008, 12:34 PM
that photo is a tough one to swallow. just as the whole night for the offense was. geesh!! we all know this...you live by the Favre, you can also die by the Favre.

Deputy Nutz
01-30-2008, 12:39 PM
I must admit, although I want Brett to come back next year, my trust in Brett isn't real high and personally, I don't see how anyones could be high. I may be wrong with here but this is just my humble opinion.

He played his best football in 2007 in this decade at 38. He had 4th quarter comebacks against San Deigo, Kansas City, Denver, and Philly.

He and his team lost in the NFC Championship game at home. He had a horrible throw in overtime, did it cost the Packer a Super Bowl trip, no, it was one play in a game that was badly executed by a young Packers team, coaching staff included.

Cheesehead Craig
01-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Driver was the least open of all the options. Safety help on Jennings? The Safety is running deep, look at the pic.

It was a bad decision and a bad throw. But that's life.

packinpatland
01-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Aren't we lucky that in life, our most 'bonehead' plays aren't filmed, photographed, dissected, analyzed,scrutinized,..............but then I guess that's why these guys get paid the big bucks. :roll:

b bulldog
01-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Exactly, that is why they make millions to play a kids game

woodbuck27
01-30-2008, 05:43 PM

All points well taken Harvey.

The overriding factor was 'in fact' though, a porly thrown off target pass, too far inside the route.

The go to guy was obviously DD, and sure the other three receivers certainly look like better options in this still. Favre didn't do a check down he was thinking DD outside all the way and DAM that pass.

The NAY Favre Packer fans sure have a legitimate argument Packer fans.

Personally. I want Favre back and him and another chance. He deserves just that after all is weighed. An awesome season.

That's just my vote.

PACKERS FOREVER!

Scott Campbell
01-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Aren't we lucky that in life, our most 'bonehead' plays aren't filmed, photographed, dissected, analyzed,scrutinized,..............

Our most boneheaded posts are dissected pretty well.

:lol: