PDA

View Full Version : Packers Draft

PackerPro42
01-30-2008, 09:29 AM
I guess I wouldn't mind seeing them go OLB in the first and address corner in a later round. I doubt he'll be around but if he's available I would love to see them get Keith Rivers the OLB from USC in the first.

pack4to84
01-30-2008, 09:36 AM
Espn magazine had a little article on what the Packers need to do in FA. It said the Packers should go after Briggs from the bears. I think he would be a great fit for the Packers. He plays over the TE in the bears system, so that would be 51's position on the Packers. I would like the Packers to draft CB first round, because there will be a first round grade CB there when they draft.

Deputy Nutz
01-30-2008, 09:43 AM
I thought Briggs was a weakside linebacker, with Hillenmeyer on the Strongside. Usually the SLB is over the tight end.

I guess if we ran any scheme but, I would want the three best linebacker possible on the field, but that is not the case, I think we are already wasting Hawk's potential by protecting Barnett. What good would Briggs do?

In the draft I think the Packers should really take the best player available, but one that can actually contribute in 2008. I don't really want them to take an offensive tackle that is going to be a back up for the next year or two.

denverYooper
01-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Espn magazine had a little article on what the Packers need to do in FA. It said the Packers should go after Briggs from the bears. I think he would be a great fit for the Packers. He plays over the TE in the bears system, so that would be 51's position on the Packers. I would like the Packers to draft CB first round, because there will be a first round grade CB there when they draft.

I said OL originally, and started having nightmares with Tony Mandarich in them. :lol:

CB is my new vote.

Harlan Huckleby
01-30-2008, 10:00 AM
OL 2008!

wist43
01-30-2008, 10:01 AM
They're going to need a DT in all likelihood...

Williams is likely to walk, Pickett is on the wrong side of 30 and his contract is up next year, I think...

Jolly is solid, Harrell showed very little... hopefully a year in the weight room and in an NFL conditioning program will bring him around.

I'd still lean toward taking a corner early, but DT needs to be looked at closely.

Deputy Nutz
01-30-2008, 10:06 AM
They're going to need a DT in all likelihood...

Williams is likely to walk, Pickett is on the wrong side of 30 and his contract is up next year, I think...

Jolly is solid, Harrell showed very little... hopefully a year in the weight room and in an NFL conditioning program will bring him around.

I'd still lean toward taking a corner early, but DT needs to be looked at closely.

I thought Pickett signed a 4 year deal, and I don't think he is quite 30. NFL.com says that he is 28, will turn 29 in October.

Carolina_Packer
01-30-2008, 10:13 AM
As for DT, they could either re-sign Williams (he has already indicated he might give a home town discount because he likes Green Bay), or they could go after a Shaun Rodgers, or even Albert Haynesworth. They drafted Harrell to be in the mix last year. I think if you lose a Corey Williams, you need a guy who is ready to be in the rotation and contributing. Haynesworth would be the most consistently disruptive.

I said OL for drafting, but would be happy with a CB, or even BPA. If they addressed the D-line and made them that much better next year, then our corners could still play their agressive style for one more year at least. Haynesworth might be worth a look.

CB or cover safety would be great as our safeties are lacking in coverage skills, which surprises me that they are there (especially Collins), since the D only rushes 4 typically and relies on the CB to be agressive, so you would think they'd have safeties with corner-type cover skills. I think you've gotta give Bigby props for his agressive play, but I hope his cover skills get better, and why wouldn't they with time? Collins...hmm, has he maxed out?

Get the guard situation worked out, make the D-line even better, add depth to LB and CB positions.

BallHawk
01-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Definitely CB. It's pointless talking about specfic players in January. There's still the combine, individual workouts, FA, etc. Stocks will rise and fall, like always. However, Harris is all downhill from here and Chuck can only go on for so much longer. CB is a must.

BallHawk
01-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Who voted other?

Perhaps Tank voted to go the Mike Sherman method and pick a punter early.

They'll never expect it! :shock:

MadtownPacker
01-30-2008, 12:23 PM
I would be cool with TT just drafting a bunch of DBs and OL in the first few rounds. Harris is never going to be able to keep up with speed guys. Sick of seeing him getting toasted.

Deputy Nutz
01-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Who voted other?

I voted other, I can't say which way I would want them to go, I think this team is in a position to select the best player available that can contribute in 2008. It might be an offensive guard, but how realistic of need is that? Sure Colledge and Spitz struggled at times, and Colledge should either turn the light on, or get replaced. Simply there are not a lot of guards that deserve a 1st round grade at this point.

Cornerback, the Packers have old corners, but they also have three guys that are in there first or second year that have shown potential. Do I think Williams, Bush, or Blackmon could be considered a starter, not yet, but bringing in a rookie might have to fight these guys for playing time on based on skill.

Linebacker, Poppinga again struggled against the pass, and doesn't read the cutback good enough, but he was overall an average starting linebacker on the strongside. I think he will be a player that will always make strides in the off season and during camp to become a better player. Depth is an issue, but spending a first round pick for depth isn't too smart.

The Packers have spots on their roster that could be helped out, but they also have a solid, solid core across the board. Just because a Player is picked with the 30th selection doesn't automatically mean there is going to be a starting position open for them.

The Leaper
01-30-2008, 12:49 PM
CB

The position is a deep one this year, so there should be a pretty good player available...even late in the 1st.

PackerPro42
01-30-2008, 01:40 PM

If we could pick up Briggs in FA then I would change my vote to Corner or Safety. I would love to see Briggs in a Packer uniform, although the likely hood of TT spending big money on a player like Briggs (injury prone) is extremely low.

RashanGary
01-30-2008, 02:27 PM
I voted other, I want BPA

Partial
01-30-2008, 02:30 PM

Even if it is the most talented long snapper in the history of the league?

RashanGary
01-30-2008, 02:37 PM

I don't think we have the same understanding of what BPA is.

I consider BPA to be the player that Thompson and the scouting staff believe will have the greatest impact on the field. Since a long snapper or punter have very little impact (esspecially in relation to what you can find as a street free agent), they are mostly undraftable. QB would probably have the most value but my goal is to have the best football players (as it relates to winning games, not relative to who plays their position).

Lurker64
01-30-2008, 03:03 PM

I don't think Rob Davis is eligible for the draft.

b bulldog
01-30-2008, 04:09 PM
I vote to trade down and hopefully have two 2's and two 3's.

Brando19
01-30-2008, 04:16 PM
CB. We seen what happens when Chuck or Al goes down (Dallas game.) It'd be nice to have a solid young CB sitting behind Woodson and Harris for a year or two ready to replace one or the other.

The Leaper
01-30-2008, 04:31 PM
I vote to trade down and hopefully have two 2's and two 3's.

We probably aren't going to get that kind of deal for a late first round pick.

The point value of our pick is 620. If a team 10 spots behind us wants to move up, they only have to make up 120 points of value to square the deal...which is equivalent to a mid-4th round pick.

Besides, teams do not like to move up into the last few picks of the 1st round because of the contract value of the last picks in the first round is considerably larger than the contract value of the first picks in the second round.

For instance...last year's final pick in the 1st round (Anthony Gonzalez) got a 5/10M deal with $5.3 guaranteed while the second pick in the 2nd round (Paul Posluszny) got a 4/$5M deal. So, a guy taken just 2 picks later has a deal worth roughly half as much money.

Thompson is morely likely to trade up this year than he is to trade down...at least in the first round.

twoseven
01-30-2008, 05:06 PM
If I were GM, forget Corey Williams, spend a little extra on Haynesworth. If not, grab Sean Rogers and save some bucks. After Haynes/Rogers signing, draft a CB in first rd. no matter what, second rd. BPA.

b bulldog
01-30-2008, 05:08 PM
One thing I've learned from the NFL draft is expect the unexpected. Nothing surprises me in regards to the draft and I've seen much crazier stuff happen. If a team wants a player bad enough, they'll give a lot to get him, that might not be their 2 and 3 but you never know.

Tarlam!
01-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Long Snapper.

Oh, 1st round?

OK, lemme try again.

I think we need a QB.

Scott Campbell
01-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Who voted other?

I wouldn't mind a DE at all. But I voted for CB.

Joemailman
01-30-2008, 10:27 PM
OL. Tony Palmer may not play again and Moll is a big question mark. If Colledge is to be the LG, then we have no one to back up Clifton. If the Packers decide that Colledge isn't the LG, then that position needs to be addressed. Barbre has ability, but may yet be too raw to step in.

woodbuck27
01-30-2008, 11:33 PM

I'm seeing that also. A CB.

packrulz
01-31-2008, 07:10 AM
I vote CB but I read an article that said with all the juniors entering the draft RB might be the deepest position. Grant is good but Wynn doesn't have breakaway speed and Jackson/Morency didn't show much. QB should be addressed, Favre is almost done and Arod might try free agency.