PDA

View Full Version : Daughter is safely home from Kenya/Tanzania

oregonpackfan
01-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Last night, my 19 year old daughter safely arrived at the Seattle/Tacoma airport along with 18 other Pacific Lutheran college students and 2 faculty members. My wife, my 13 year old, and myself drove up there to greet her and drive her home.

They had spent over 3 weeks mostly in Tanzania but had to land and take off from Nairobi, Kenya--a country racked with widespread violence as the result of an alleged, rigged, re-election of their President.

Their trip included a safari, and travels throughout the country. The most challenging aspect of the trip was a 5 day climb up and down 19,000' Mt. Kilamanjaro. My daughter was one of the 16 students who successfully made the climb.

She was tired and sunburned(from the beaches of Zanzibar) but in good spirits. Like most Americans who returned from foreign countries, she had a craving for American food. My wife made her peanut butter pancakes this morning(ugh!)

packinpatland
01-30-2008, 10:49 AM
So...........how'd YOU sleep last night?

Glad to hear that she's home safe and sound...... Sounds like it was one of those 'once in a lifetime' kind of trips, good for her.

HarveyWallbangers
01-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Glad to hear that, OPF. I have good friends from Kenya. It's really a shame what's going on. Normally, it's a relatively stable country for that part of the world. It has so much potential to be much more.

Kiwon
01-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Good news!

I knew that she would have a good time.

Every student should try to go and experience life outside the US. It will definitely open up your eyes to see the blessings of life in America.

Scott Campbell
01-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Ahhh, relief. Glad she had such a great time. Now she can enjoy the Kohler.

digitaldean
01-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Glad to hear she's back safe and sound.

Some of the senseless butchery going on there is bordering on the ethnic cleansing done in the Balkans in the 90s.

Who knew one of her best sounds from home was a flushing toilet??? :lol:

GBRulz
01-31-2008, 12:44 AM
Glad she's back home safely, OPF! Did you gift wrap a package of toilet paper for her?