PDA

View Full Version : Cap Room

packinpatland
01-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Was listening to McCarthy being interviewed on NFL channel. I didn't realize the Packers are between 25-30 million below the cap? What is the league average?

b bulldog
01-30-2008, 04:10 PM
If BRETT retired, we would have 35-38mil in cap room but I do hope he is back next season.

Pacopete4
01-30-2008, 04:11 PM
i really hope we continue to spend the money wisely.. thats the key to keep having success in this league.. on that note i hope we can get..

-dominating DE
-up and coming CB
-another TE like Lee
-OG

The Leaper
01-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Was listening to McCarthy being interviewed on NFL channel. I didn't realize the Packers are between 25-30 million below the cap? What is the league average?

A lot of teams are well below the cap.

The cap went up a lot when the signed their new TV deals prior to the 2006 season. The season to season jumps are pretty big too...the difference in the cap from 2007 to 2008 will be $7M.

Even with all the cap space we have, there are still at least 5 teams with more space...maybe a couple more.

Also, remember that Favre has no more remaining bonus money to count against the cap. When Favre retires, his entire base salary at that time will instantly become cap space...so that is another $10M in space that will become available in the near future.

Thompson has plenty of room to make some moves and improve this team in free agency. He will have no excuses this year for not making strides to shore up clear weaknesses like the interior OL and secondary depth with something other than rookies.

Brando19
01-30-2008, 04:18 PM
I sure hope TT doesn't nap during FA like he did last year. It's time to go after someone like Feneca or Colts TE Clark!

Charles Woodson
01-30-2008, 04:28 PM
I sure hope TT doesn't nap during FA like he did last year. It's time to go after someone like Feneca or Colts TE Clark!

Clark will all but most likely resign with the colts..

Someone talked about feneca, but we decided that hes a starting to get old

The Leaper
01-30-2008, 04:33 PM
Someone talked about feneca, but we decided that hes a starting to get old

The Colts can't resign everyone...and they've got 2 very solid interior guards that are free agents and not 30 something. I will be disappointed if we don't make a run at one of them.

RIPackerFan
01-30-2008, 05:57 PM
While there may be a some teams with more cap room - there are very few teams that have the limited number of starters who are FAs that we have (basically only one - which we have planned - through Harrell - on replacing) - most teams have a decision to make on whether to spend some of that cap on their own FAs or outside.

So we have a luxury of looking outside first rather then internally first.

I don't think TT will spend any money on big-time FAs, but I do see him signing 3 - 4 good, but low profile FAs.

Scott Campbell
01-30-2008, 06:11 PM
I think Ted will react to the marketplace for players. If he can get a decent deal on a big name, he might surprise a few people. If crazy money starts getting tossed around, I expect and hope that he'll pass.

packinpatland
01-30-2008, 06:29 PM
If BRETT retired, we would have 35-38mil in cap room but I do hope he is back next season.

But that isn't what M3 said. He didn't say 'If Brett retired', he said they had that much room.

Brando19
01-30-2008, 06:41 PM

But that isn't what M3 said. He didn't say 'If Brett retired', he said they had that much room.

Packinpatland, you said the Packers have 25-30 mil under the cap. Bulldog said we'd have 35 or more million under IF Brett retired. That's about an additional 10 million for the year. You're both right.

Joemailman
01-30-2008, 08:27 PM
http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

This site has the Packers 18.37 mil under the cap which ranks them 21st. It is not official.

packinpatland
01-30-2008, 08:29 PM

Packinpatland, you said the Packers have 25-30 mil under the cap. Bulldog said we'd have 35 or more million under IF Brett retired. That's about an additional 10 million for the year. You're both right.

Joe, you're right. I didn't read that correctly :oops:

GBRulz
01-31-2008, 12:42 AM
I think it's going to be another 4-5 years before we start seeing teams having to let players go because of "cap casualties". So, of course FA is going to continue being pretty limited and those available will get obnoxious salaries.

Hell, even if Sherm was still the GM we'd still be under the cap!

KYPack
01-31-2008, 08:24 AM

This site has the Packers 18.37 mil under the cap which ranks them 21st. It is not official.

Ya gotta be careful with that "Commish" site. It's updated, like once or twice a year. There was a good league-wide one, but it's now defunct. If i find one, I'll post it on the "Rats".

ND72
02-01-2008, 10:53 AM
On Madden I traded Favre, Driver, Harris, KGB, Morency, Grant, Woodson, Franks, Clifton, and Tauscher I had 75 Million Dollars to play with. and we still went 10-6 :) With 7 1st round picks of course.

CaliforniaCheez
02-01-2008, 01:23 PM
The cap space changes frequently. The numbers at the end of the season are not the numbers at the begining of the next season on March 1st.

The Packers are doing well so people are not monitoring the cap #'s that closely.

Here is a cap page to bookmark. It is updated approximately quarterly.

http://cappage.timesfour.com/

It hasn't been updated since November but when it is it is a nice reference.

Cheesehead Craig
02-01-2008, 02:14 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071222/PKR01/712220372/1989/PackersPromo
This one has the pack at about 25M under for next year. This is as of 12/22/07

Tony Oday
02-01-2008, 03:52 PM
I dont think we need another top tier DE. I think that we need the following...

OG X 2
TE X 1
OLB X 1
CB X 1
S X 1

Ya that is a lot to get in the FA market and hope that it works with chemistry but it would be something to talk about :)

pbmax
02-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Any signing bonus or other guaranteed bonus is pro-rated over the length of the deal. So there will be some acceleration if he retires before the deal is up, but you are right, the amount by now is very small compared to the salary that most of it will be immediate cap room.

A lot of teams are well below the cap.

The cap went up a lot when the signed their new TV deals prior to the 2006 season. The season to season jumps are pretty big too...the difference in the cap from 2007 to 2008 will be $7M.

Even with all the cap space we have, there are still at least 5 teams with more space...maybe a couple more.

Also, remember that Favre has no more remaining bonus money to count against the cap. When Favre retires, his entire base salary at that time will instantly become cap space...so that is another $10M in space that will become available in the near future.

Thompson has plenty of room to make some moves and improve this team in free agency. He will have no excuses this year for not making strides to shore up clear weaknesses like the interior OL and secondary depth with something other than rookies.

Patler
02-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Any signing bonus or other guaranteed bonus is pro-rated over the length of the deal. So there will be some acceleration if he retires before the deal is up, but you are right, the amount by now is very small compared to the salary that most of it will be immediate cap room.

Not exactly. There is a maximum time over which a signing bonus can be prorated. Presently the maximum period is six years. If the contract is for longer than six years, the signing bonus is counted equally over the first six years only. Thereafter only salaries, roster bonuses and the like are counted against the cap.

What happened sometimes was that a large roster bonus in a subsequent year was "guaranteed" by the team before it was due. That allowed them to prorate that bonus amount over the remaining years of the contract (or the maximum allowable, whichever was less). Teams used that to gain cap space in the year the bonus was paid, but it got them into trouble if the player retired, accelerating the entire amount in a later year. That is part of what happened with the Broncos and Elway.

If a player had large roster bonuses each year on a very long contract, and the team guaranteed several before he retired, they got hit real hard the season after he retired. There have been some changes in how that is handled under the new CBA, but to be honest I have not studied it in great detail yet.

The Packers have intentionally avoided that with Favre, so his roster bonuses have mostly counted completely in the season in which it was paid. I think they may have quaranteed one or two early in his contract, but they said several times that they wanted to avoid a big cap hit when he retired, so have remained mostly on a "cash and carry'" basis with his bonuses. Favre's original signing bonus was completely used against the cap a couple seasons ago already.

pbmax
02-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Good one Patler, but wasn't the acceleration length different when Favre signed this deal? I remember this as one of the changes in the new CBA.

Not exactly. There is a maximum time over which a signing bonus can be prorated. Presently the maximum period is six years. If the contract is for longer than six years, the signing bonus is counted equally over the first six years only. Thereafter only salaries, roster bonuses and the like are counted against the cap.

What happened sometimes was that a large roster bonus in a subsequent year was "guaranteed" by the team before it was due. That allowed them to prorate that bonus amount over the remaining years of the contract (or the maximum allowable, whichever was less). Teams used that to gain cap space in the year the bonus was paid, but it got them into trouble if the player retired, accelerating the entire amount in a later year. That is part of what happened with the Broncos and Elway.

If a player had large roster bonuses each year on a very long contract, and the team guaranteed several before he retired, they got hit real hard the season after he retired. There have been some changes in how that is handled under the new CBA, but to be honest I have not studied it in great detail yet.

The Packers have intentionally avoided that with Favre, so his roster bonuses have mostly counted completely in the season in which it was paid. I think they may have quaranteed one or two early in his contract, but they said several times that they wanted to avoid a big cap hit when he retired, so have remained mostly on a "cash and carry'" basis with his bonuses. Favre's original signing bonus was completely used against the cap a couple seasons ago already.

pbmax
02-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Peter King had that number as well. But it doesn't account for two things. One, is the money they get back from Likely to Be Earned Incentives that weren't earned. That's a cap rebate for next year that the 18 mil figure doesn't have yet.

The other is number of signed players. The Packers face one big name FA and have over 40 players signed if memory serves. Many teams above us on that list have far fewer players signed OR have big money FAs coming due.

Ya gotta be careful with that "Commish" site. It's updated, like once or twice a year. There was a good league-wide one, but it's now defunct. If i find one, I'll post it on the "Rats".

Patler
02-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Good one Patler, but wasn't the acceleration length different when Favre signed this deal? I remember this as one of the changes in the new CBA.

I hope we are talking the same thing, its not length of acceleration, it's length of pro-ration for signing bonuses. I think, but am not certain that it was six years under the old CBA, too, for veterans. I believe the new CBA decreased the length of time for pro-rating rookie signing bonuses.

Patler
02-02-2008, 10:06 AM
The other is number of signed players. The Packers face one big name FA and have over 40 players signed if memory serves. Many teams above us on that list have far fewer players signed OR have big money FAs coming due.

That is something I have harped on for years. A couple seasons ago fans were excited about the Packers seemingly having considerable cap space in April, but they only had something like 32 players under contract. In reality their cap space was at least about $5 million less than it appeared, because they would spend that much just to complete their roster with minimum wage players.

When generating the list for fans, it would make more sense to take existing contracts, then add to that total the number of minimum first year contracts necessary to complete the roster. That would give you the amount available to spend on players costing more than the absolute minimum to fill your roster.