PDA

View Full Version : Favre to take a few more weeks to decide

Brando19
01-30-2008, 06:48 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

As he picked up an award honoring him as the fans' choice as the NFL's best quarterback, Brett Favre today fielded questions about whether he'll return to the Green Bay Packers for the 2008 season.

"I'm going to take a few more weeks," he said at a press conference in Phoenix, according to the Jackson (Miss.) Clarion-Ledger.

"Our coaching staff is coaching in the Pro Bowl. When they're done, (coach) Mike (McCarthy) and I will sit down and discuss it. We've already talked about it some, but we'll talk about it more in a couple of weeks."

Favre said he won't base his decision on the Packers' overtime loss to the New York Giants in the NFC championship game.

"I've always said I won't base it on one game," he said.

Favre was honored as the FedEx Air Player of the Year. The company will donate $25,000 to Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin Foundation. He was selected over New England's Tom Brady and Dallas' Tony Romo.

Jacksonville's Fred Taylor won the Ground Player of the Year award as the top running back. He was chosen over Minnesota's Adrian Peterson and San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson.

Fans voted online earlier this month, and a panel of NFL experts chose the six finalists.

woodbuck27
01-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Boys what a GREAT time for him to retire. Has he won the Good Housekeeping Award for America yet? He's won just about everything else.

Set all the records but that longest streak of starts ALL Positions ALL TIME is only this and next season away (2 games in?). He would love that one.

He might even imagine that TT learned a lot from all his mistakes in the past and will grow into the job of really being a solid GM for us?

Haha. :)

Green Bud Packer
01-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Boys what a GREAT time for him to retire. Has he won the Good Housekeeping Award for America yet? He's won just about everything else.

Set all the records but that longest streak of starts ALL Positions ALL TIME is only this and next season away (2 games in?). He would love that one.

He might even imagine that TT learned a lot from all his mistakes in the past and will grow into the job of really being a solid GM for us?

Haha. :)

He still needs a Super Bowl MVP.

Patler
01-30-2008, 07:55 PM
When a player struggles as much as Favre seems to in deciding whether or not he still wants to play, it is time to retire. Personally, I think he should have retired several years ago, but not because he isn't capable of playing.

I think he continues to play because he doesn't know what else to do. If he had a desire to coach, broadcast, or do something other than mow his lawn I think he would have retired already. I think he is afraid to not play, because he always has played. It is how he identifies himself.

packinpatland
01-30-2008, 08:33 PM
He kiddingly said 'I'm pretty good at this' (doing the Dion, Mooch, Eisen thing) and then he said something about not having to do the 'suit'.

I wouldn't mind listening/watching Brett. Someone who would know what he was talking about and nice on the eyes. :wink:

LL2
01-30-2008, 10:26 PM
When a player struggles as much as Favre seems to in deciding whether or not he still wants to play, it is time to retire. Personally, I think he should have retired several years ago, but not because he isn't capable of playing.

I think he continues to play because he doesn't know what else to do. If he had a desire to coach, broadcast, or do something other than mow his lawn I think he would have retired already. I think he is afraid to not play, because he always has played. It is how he identifies himself.

He probably hates the "what if" thoughts that will eat at him during retirement.

GrnBay007
01-30-2008, 10:30 PM

He probably hates the "what if" thoughts that will eat at him during retirement.

...which happens to the majority that retire......but I can see it being 10X for him having lived football pretty much his entire life.

I wouldn't want to be in his shoes with that decision..........but if I were....I'd say ONE MORE YEAR BRETT!!!! :D

woodbuck27
01-30-2008, 11:28 PM

...which happens to the majority that retire......but I can see it being 10X for him having lived football pretty much his entire life.

I wouldn't want to be in his shoes with that decision..........but if I were....I'd say ONE MORE YEAR BRETT!!!! :D

Ohhhh Yeaaa!

GBRulz
01-30-2008, 11:49 PM
I think he continues to play because he doesn't know what else to do.

Well, he's made several comments that after he's done playing he and Deanna will have more time to contribute to their organizations. He also mentioned possibly coaching HS football. Gosh, imagine how lucky those kids would be!

The guy loves to play, anyone can see how much fun he had this year. It's the Brett of old that we haven't seen for a few years. It's not a guy that is only playing because he doesn't have anything else to do.

Patler
01-31-2008, 01:02 AM
[quote=Patler]

The guy loves to play, anyone can see how much fun he had this year. It's the Brett of old that we haven't seen for a few years. It's not a guy that is only playing because he doesn't have anything else to do.

No, its not the Favre of old. We saw snippets of it, but its not the same. The excitement after touchdowns, etc. was still there. But on the sidelines Favre has become more isolated with each year. He is often shown sitting alone, almost looking transfixed. He does not interact as much on the sidelines as he did when young.

Pacopete4
01-31-2008, 02:35 AM
thats going to happen when ur comparing anyone at age 25 to 38... people change, its life

the one thing i know is, hes one guys i know of that hasn't changed that much, only the media and people like you Patler try to say hes changed but every guy in that locker room, or any guy thats played with him tells you that he hasn't changed since the day he started playing with them...

we get fixated on what we want to see, and how we want to explain it, but the guys as genuine as he's ever been and he wants to win, no matter what... he'l be back because he wants it, he wants whatever every athlete plays for and thats the satisfactory of how fuckin amazing a win feels at the end of a tough week of battle

come on back brett... if any year showed how damn talented you really are, this was it.. we're only gettin better

Patler
01-31-2008, 05:57 AM
thats going to happen when ur comparing anyone at age 25 to 38... people change, its life

That was my point, exactly. Favre is no different than anyone else. It is only some fans who think he is immune from age. To suggest he is no different at 38 than he was at 26 is wrong.

His team mates have acknowledged the inevitable differences that come with age. He and his wife have, too.

Pacopete4
01-31-2008, 11:06 AM
but i think you're making it out to be bad that he's changed.. i really dont see it that way

Patler
01-31-2008, 11:52 AM
but i think you're making it out to be bad that he's changed.. i really dont see it that way

No, I'm not. Not at all. Just recognizing it.

It just really seems odd to me that year after year it takes him weeks or months to decide if he still wants to play. As some of you know, I have had dealings with a number of professional athletes in various sports (mostly hockey and football); business matters, charitable functions, community things, etc. I have never known one who had to analyze whether or not he wanted to continue playing, except for the marginal ones who were basically in it for the money but realized they would never hit it big, salary-wise and needed other careers. The others knew with absolute certainty that they wanted to continue, until one year they didn't. Then they knew it was done.

For some it is easy, because injuries require it, or their skills erode to the point that they know it is time. But some have skills that could carry them on much longer, but suddenly realize it is time to move into another phase of their lives. But most of those had post-career plans. Many express the feeling of isolation that pushes then into retirement. They no longer fit in with their much younger team mates.

Favre has the ability to continue playing. It amazes me that year after year it is such a big decision for him whether he wants to or not. It should be a relatively easy decision, after all it only matters what he wants to do. No one is forcing him either way.

For several years he had the "excuse" of not knowing whether he wanted to stay through a rebuilding phase. That is not there this year. This was a playoff team, and not one that snuck in to the playoffs. Does he want a couple more shots in the playoffs or not????

woodbuck27
01-31-2008, 02:11 PM

Man Patler!

I'm some glad you don't hang a shingle as a personal advsior, so that YOU could never have been the one to cause Favre to have made the terrible error of retiring years ago.

I write that only fr. the standpoint of a Packer fan that realizes, like a lot of other Packer fans, that a Favre will only come around maybe once in a lifetime.

I would have expected that post fr. YOU Patler. I'm always encouraged by YOU to a certain level of shock.

Pacopete4
01-31-2008, 03:02 PM
Patler, I totally agree with you and just misunderstood what you were trying to get at. I really think its a mistake that a guy with his talent, and heart doesn't know whether he wants to be apart of this team because it is on the rise and fast. It SHOULD be an easy decision, but I guess none of us really know the whole story, but to me it should be a yes, I'll be back, and we're gonna win the whole damn thing..

woodbuck27
01-31-2008, 03:18 PM
Patler, I totally agree with you and just misunderstood what you were trying to get at. I really think its a mistake that a guy with his talent, and heart doesn't know whether he wants to be apart of this team because it is on the rise and fast. It SHOULD be an easy decision, but I guess none of us really know the whole story, but to me it should be a yes, I'll be back, and we're gonna win the whole damn thing..

Yes! 100% Bang on. Exactly as Favre should be thinking.

But there's this: As it is now why is Favre waiting?

Because maybe he see's that TT is into his own Barley Soup and that won't spell Super Bowl next season without anything short of a miracle on the proportions of the Greatest in PRO Sports history given our collapse Vs the GIANTS. FOR FAVRE to come back from that at what (age 39 year's).

That loss had to put FAVRE on his psychlogical ASS.

SO DAM close and a fizzle. All over again for just another chance at that or far worse. WHY come back likely to that?

Because he's a competitor and tuff as nails.

The Shadow
01-31-2008, 06:39 PM
Whatever.
If he wants to come back, fine.
If he wants to retire, fine.
I like Favre, but if he can no longer get it done, he should retire.
I am intrigued by Rodger's potential, and wouldn't mind seeing him grow with this young team.
I only hope there's no soap opera agin.