PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl I--The Most Important One of all

oregonpackfan
01-31-2008, 03:22 PM
Perhaps Super Bowl I may have been the most important Super Bowl of all. It matched for the first time the established National Football League against the upstart American Football League.

It also matched Lombardi's Green Bay Packers against Hank Stram's Kansas City Chiefs. Lombardi was under tremendous pressure to win this game not only for Packer fans but for fans of the NFL teams.

Yep, I am old enough to remember watching this game. It was close in the first half with the Packers leading just 14-10 at halftime. The Packers pulled away in the second half.

This article is by Bud Lea, who not only covered that game but is still covering the Packers. I trust you will enjoy it.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=712330

REMOVED DUE TO COPYRIGHT

packinpatland
01-31-2008, 05:18 PM
"I know it's a cliche to say someone is a real man," the commissioner said, "but this game must have been invented for Vince Lombardi. He was so strong, so powerful, so intelligent."

And that is why it's called the Lombardi Trophy today.

Thanks for finding and sharing OPF. Great article...........got alittle misty eyed there for a minute. :wink:

gbgary
01-31-2008, 07:22 PM
it was important but what i hate is most everyone thinking pro football didn't exsist before that game. it's like the championship the Pack won the year before didn't happen. the ONLY team to ever 3-peat and nobody ever mentions it. :?

packinpatland
01-31-2008, 07:32 PM
Ohhhhh....................but WE know.

KYPack
01-31-2008, 07:56 PM
it was important but what i hate is most everyone thinking pro football didn't exsist before that game. it's like the championship the Pack won the year before didn't happen. the ONLY team to ever 3-peat and nobody ever mentions it. :?

GB Gary for leader!

The Green Bay Packers 3 NFL Championships in a row.

Twice.

Only team to do so.

1929, 1930, 1931.
1965, 1966, 1967.

Deputy Nutz
01-31-2008, 08:09 PM
I am sick of living in the past.

packinpatland
01-31-2008, 08:15 PM

You're young...........live with it. :wink:

KYPack
01-31-2008, 09:37 PM

You can leave off the "of living in the past" part, Nutz

oregonpackfan
02-02-2008, 12:45 AM

Nutz,

Sometimes in order to appreciate the present, we have to be knowledgeable about the past.

In applying that thought to the Packers, in order to full appreciate being a Packer fan you need to know the history of the Packers, especially about Vince Lombardi.

If you haven't read Lombardi's biography When Pride Still Mattered, I recommend you read it. The author points out Lombardi's flaws as well as his many assets. You also learn about the incredible success of the Packers during the 60's.