PDA

View Full Version : Oregon AD apologizes to Kevin Love, UCLA

oregonpackfan
02-01-2008, 12:33 AM
Last week the Oregon Ducks men's basketball team lost to UCLA in Eugene by a close game of 80-75.

A number of Ducks fans shouted obscenities and held up obscene posters at UCLA freshman sensation, Kevin Love. They even threw popcorn and soft drinks at Love's parents.

The reason for the displeasure was that Kevin Love was a blue-chip player who grew up and played high school basketball at Lake Oswego, Oregon. Furthermore, his father, Stan Love, was an outstanding basketball player at the U. of Oregon.

Some Oregon Ducks fans believe Love should have stayed in-state and played for the Ducks. Another blue-chip basketball player from Oregon is Kyle Singler, out of Medford. He left the state and is now starting for Duke.

With a population of just 3 and 1/2 million people, there is just not much of a population base to fill out the rosters of two Divison I-A schools, Oregon and Oregon State, as well as two Division I-AA schools, Portland State and the University of Portland.

The U. of Oregon Athletic Director Pat Kilkenny sent formal apologies to Kevin Love, UCLA, and Love's parents. The Ducks' coach, Ernie Kent, was also incensed.

The fans really gave Oregon a black eye. Here is the article:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/120166531584650.xml&coll=7

swede
02-01-2008, 10:01 PM
What'd the kid expect?

I don't condone what the fans did, but I would have spent 18 bucks for a ticket just for the privilege of booing the shit out of the turncoat if I were a Ducks fan.

And then 18 rebounds was the kid's revenge.

oregonpackfan
02-02-2008, 12:49 AM
What'd the kid expect?

I don't condone what the fans did, but I would have spent 18 bucks for a ticket just for the privilege of booing the shit out of the turncoat if I were a Ducks fan.

And then 18 rebounds was the kid's revenge.

Love also tossed in 24 points for good measure. Not bad for a freshman!