PDA

View Full Version : 24 inches to the right

Partial
02-01-2008, 10:38 PM
If one pass had sailed 24 inches to the right, would there be all this Favre is washed up and cannot win the big game talk? What about all the criticism of Bob Sanders?

Would you still be calling for their heads if they had won the game in overtime albeit in sloppy fashion?

Would Bob McGinn have still written that idiotic article?

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Favre is not washed up, but he hasn't come up big in a pressure situation in the playoffs in a long time (I know people are going to say Settle, but their was still 10:00 in the first quarter). Great QB, but needs a very good team to win the big one so that he’s never forced to win a game.

As for the pass, I'm trying to see what people who defend Favre on that play are seeing, but to me it was just a bad pass. Yes the team played bad, but when does a chance like that come along?? If you told Favre before the season started that it would come down to OT in the championship game, I bet he wouldn't even believe we would get that far. You have to make the most of opportunities.

Also, it's more like 48 inches to the right.

esoxx
02-01-2008, 11:46 PM
That's how I usually wear my junk in blue jeans, 24" to the right.

HarveyWallbangers
02-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Favre is not washed up, but he hasn't come up big in a pressure situation in the playoffs in a long time (I know people are going to say Settle, but their was still 10:00 in the first quarter). Great QB, but needs a very good team to win the big one so that he’s never forced to win a game.

As for the pass, I'm trying to see what people who defend Favre on that play are seeing, but to me it was just a bad pass. Yes the team played bad, but when does a chance like that come along?? If you told Favre before the season started that it would come down to OT in the championship game, I bet he wouldn't even believe we would get that far. You have to make the most of opportunities.

So we are writing off the Seattle game. He can't win then. If he has a good game and they win, then it wasn't a big game anymore. Just like the San Fran game before the Philly game, I guess. All playoff games are big. You lose, you go home.

Partial
02-02-2008, 12:40 AM
Peyton Manning couldn't win until he had an outstanding offensive line, a tight end in Dallas Clark growing into an excellent player, and Reggie Wayne finally developing into a 1b type receiver. Not to mention they had a defensive player of the year on the other side of the ball and one of the best pass rushers in the league as well.

Every team that gets to the conference championship is an outstanding team. They may not have the most talent, but they clearly have confidence and have held up well enough to get that far.

The Giants aren't getting enough credit. What they have done is very impressive. Same with the Steelers of '05 when they were road warriors. Both of those are phenomenal teams.

twoseven
02-02-2008, 06:19 AM
The sick feeling in my stomach that was a reaction to how poorly the whole team was playing started in the first half. By the fourth quarter I was numb and the overriding feeling was we did not deserve to win the game, period. A sloppy win, I certainly would have taken it. But it wasn't Favre's pass that ruined anything, for me it started much earlier. That pick just closed the door on an all-around shitty day. Much like 4th and 26, in the end Brett was left holding the bag, undeservedly bearing most of the wieght of the defeat.

My opinion, if we lose that OT coin toss and they drive for a winning FG, we're probably annointing a member of the defense on that hypothetical final drive OR Poppinga and Bush for not falling on the muffed punt at midfield as THE plays that cost us. Putting it all on Brett's pass tells me you tuned in only for the end of the game, or you just chose to ignore that we played terribly most of the evening. "But Brett shouldn't have..he's the leader..he still shouldn't have made that play..he should have known better"..oh save it. It's not hot potato, it's football for 60+ minutes, only about 10 of which did OUR TEAM play as if we deserved to win.

b bulldog
02-02-2008, 06:47 AM
Agree but we still had a chance in the 4th quarter and OT.

Patler
02-02-2008, 07:34 AM

So we are writing off the Seattle game. He can't win then. If he has a good game and they win, then it wasn't a big game anymore. Just like the San Fran game before the Philly game, I guess. All playoff games are big. You lose, you go home.

How much credit does Favre really deserve for the Seattle comeback? Grant alone had more yards rushing than Favre had passing. He had as many TDs as Favre had. The first Packer TD drive was mostly passing, but the second was mostly running by Grant. Others were nice mixes of runs and passes. That comeback struck me more as a collective team effort than a situation of the team riding Favre to the win.

Favre didn't lose the Giant game anymore than a number of other factors. BUT, with the game on the line and a chance to win, he again made a horrible throw resulting in a turnover. It is situations like that which make it impossible for me to jump on the "Favre is the best ever" bandwagon. As physically talented or more than any ever, has made more remarkable throws than anyone, maybe; but I can't call him the best ever. One of the best, but not the best. Too many bad playoff performances of recent.

Bretsky
02-02-2008, 08:06 AM
If one pass had sailed 24 inches to the right, would there be all this Favre is washed up and cannot win the big game talk? What about all the criticism of Bob Sanders?

Would you still be calling for their heads if they had won the game in overtime albeit in sloppy fashion?

I'd still dislike Sanders; we'd probably just be ripping him a weak later after NE embarrassed all those complicated aggressive blitz packages we don't see

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-02-2008, 08:11 AM
How much credit does Favre really deserve for the Seattle comeback? Grant alone had more yards rushing than Favre had passing. He had as many TDs as Favre had. The first Packer TD drive was mostly passing, but the second was mostly running by Grant. Others were nice mixes of runs and passes. That comeback struck me more as a collective team effort than a situation of the team riding Favre to the win.

Favre didn't lose the Giant game anymore than a number of other factors. BUT, with the game on the line and a chance to win, he again made a horrible throw resulting in a turnover. It is situations like that which make it impossible for me to jump on the "Favre is the best ever" bandwagon. As physically talented or more than any ever, has made more remarkable throws than anyone, maybe; but I can't call him the best ever. One of the best, but not the best. Too many bad playoff performances of recent.

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

pbmax
02-02-2008, 09:20 AM
If ifs and buts were candy, every day would be Christmas. :lol:

Winning usually creates the impression of power, wisdom and certainty. Losing does the reverse.

The Packer's (and Favre's) flaws were evident in most of the season, especially in the second half. The idea isn't to eliminate THE ONE flaw that lost the last game. There is no such single thing.

In close games, winners have close to the same number of missed opportunities, mistakes and flaws as the losers.

The question is can the Packers address multiple problems in one offseason and improve in enough of them?

I think they can. Favre's mistakes are not new. Some of that has been due to his teammates on offense. That would no longer seem to be the case with the passing game.

But if I were T2, I would still look to upgrade the defense first. Then the run game.

My concern this year is that the hardest part of improving your defense is finding a pass rush. And that is what they need. Same as last year.

Patler
02-02-2008, 10:57 AM
My concern this year is that the hardest part of improving your defense is finding a pass rush. And that is what they need. Same as last year.

Which is what makes Williams' FA value to GB an interesting question.

We debated at length last year whether KGB was worth his contract as a situational pass rusher. With fewer reps his pass rush improved (but I think is still too inconsistent). Williams value might change if Harrell takes a few more of his snaps. If Harrell, Pickett and Jolly at DT can put teams into 2nd and long and 3rd and long situations, bringing KGB and Williams in can have more of an impact.

Partial
02-02-2008, 11:55 AM

I'd still dislike Sanders; we'd probably just be ripping him a weak later after NE embarrassed all those complicated aggressive blitz packages we don't see

That one I agree with.

Partial
02-02-2008, 11:57 AM
After seeing the difference in our defense from week 1-8 to 8-NFCC, I think we need to add some young legs to our defensive line and our secondary.

I would not mind seeing KGB's replacement drafted, and maybe a quick, undersized DT to play 30% of Kampman's snaps.

twoseven
02-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Agree but we still had a chance in the 4th quarter and OT.
..because their kicker kept missing bunnies? The game should have ended at the end of regulation, and we didn't deserve OT. Our punter kicks only to midfield, we miss falling on a muff, then we're pushed backwards 25 yards or so with the game on the line and should have been beaten right then and there if their kicker isn't playing with 22 chromosomes. I half wish we would have gone down then, all OT got us was another chance to blame Brett for what was actually a total and complete team failure that night that was lost in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters before we even got to OT.

I respect the desire to break down specific plays that were key moments in any game decision. But I haven't seen any besides Brett's throw. I thought Brett looked off all night, just like the rest of the team, and I think there are about 1000 still shots we should be looking at as to why we got deservedly beaten by the NYG, not just the last one. Just my opinion.