PDA

View Full Version : The spygate plot thickens

RashanGary
02-01-2008, 11:39 PM
LAHAINA, Hawaii -- Matt Walsh worked seven years with the New England Patriots before being let go on Martin Luther King Day in 2003. He was on the New Orleans Superdome sidelines when the Pats kicked off their dominant run, upsetting the St. Louis Rams in the 2002 Super Bowl. He wasn't a chiseled athlete, but a go-getter who climbed his way up the team's support staff ladder -- first as a public relations intern, then as a video assistant and later, in his last year, a college scout.

Mostly, though, his years with New England were spent shooting football video.

He was the third, and last, employee on the video staff. In his words, he was Matt Estrella before Matt Estrella, a reference to the Patriots video assistant caught filming the Jets' defensive signals by league officials last September at halftime of a game against New York -- the violation that birthed "Spygate" and led, in part, to some of the heftiest penalties in league history. New England coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000 -- the biggest fine ever for a coach  and the team was docked its first-round draft choice this year.

And now, Walsh, 31, an assistant golf pro on Maui, might be positioned to further pull back the curtain on the Patriots' taping history, expose where and how they gained advantages and, perhaps even, turn over video proof.

If Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., the top Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, is serious about calling a hearing to delve into the issue -- particularly the questions of why the NFL hastily destroyed all evidence, including tapes handed over by the Patriots, and what other as-yet-undisclosed material might be out there -- perhaps one of his first calls should be to Walsh, who in conversations with ESPN.com suggested he has information that could be damaging to both the league and the Patriots.

In a New York Times story on Friday and again at a news conference later in the day, Specter expressed frustration with a lack of response from the NFL to his Nov. 15 letter inquiring about the league's investigation. He said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell would eventually be called before the committee to address, among other things, the destruction of the tapes. NFL officials and Patriots employees possibly could be brought before the committee to testify.

Walsh told ESPN.com that, in the wake of the cheating scandal that broke early in the season, he has never been contacted by NFL officials to inquire about his insight into the Patriots' illegal taping practices, which he says date back to his time with the franchise. Nor, he said, has there been any communication with the Patriots.

[+] EnlargeMike Fish, ESPN.com

Matt Walsh might hold the key to 'Spygate,' but isn't unlocking any doors.
"If they're doing a thorough investigation -- they didn't contact me," Walsh told ESPN.com. "So draw your own conclusions. Maybe they felt they didn't need to. Maybe the league feels they got satisfactory answers from everything the Patriots sent them."

Goodell said at his annual address to the media at the Super Bowl on Friday that the tapes turned over by the Patriots date back only to 2006, well after Walsh had left the organization. Does Walsh know anything that might be of interest to that inquiry? He won't say, but he hasn't dodged the suggestion that he does. On a number of occasions in interviews with ESPN and ESPN.com in recent weeks, he has hinted about evidence and information he might be able to provide.

"No, the league has never called me," he said. "Neither have the Patriots. And really, I would be surprised if they did. Then all of a sudden -- I don't know how much the league or Patriots know about my stance or how I feel about things -- for them to put in a call to me, what are they going to say? Are they going to try and threaten me? Or say, don't talk about it? Then, they are putting themselves out there and looking bad as far as if I turn around and say, 'Hey, guess what, the league called me and said [we're] gonna take away your pension if you say anything about this.'"

Later, Walsh said his reference to a pension meant his 401k retirement plan.

Walsh suggested he could have blown the whistle long ago, if he'd been so inclined.

"If I had a reason to want to go public or tell a story, I could have done it before this even broke," he said. "I could have said everything rather than having [Eric] Mangini be the one to bring it out."

It is widely assumed that Mangini, the Jets head coach and former Patriots assistant under Belichick, was responsible for exposing the Patriots' spying tactics earlier this season. Several members of New England's staff came to the Jets with Mangini when he took the head job in New York, including assistant coaches Brian Daboll and Jay Mandoleso and video director Steve Scarnecchia, a former Patriot video assistant.

The Jets' staff, under orders from team management, refused comment for this story.

"Obviously, Mangini knew what was going on and it had been going on for a while," Walsh said. "They tried to catch them doing it last year and weren't able to. So they were just waiting for them to throw the camera up this year on the sideline. But afterwards, I get the impression the league said to them, 'Hey, kind of back down from this; let us take care of it,' because Mangini probably could have come out and said more, made more of a deal out of it if he wanted to."

Walsh said that when he worked with the Patriots, a very limited number of people within the organization were privy to details about the team's video practices, notably video director Jimmy Dee and Ernie Adams, Belichick's prep school friend and right-hand man.

Walsh said that during his tenure in New England, no taping was done without Dee's knowledge.

As for the prospect of Adams sharing insight into the suspicious practices, Walsh said: "You've got a better chance of him telling you who killed JFK than anything about New England. There are lots of stories there. He told me stories of things they used to do in Cleveland [where Adams assisted Belichick with the Browns]."

[+] EnlargeMike Fish, ESPN.com

Walsh says he could have broken a story about spying by the Patriots before the Jets' Eric Mangini did.
Asked Friday at his Super Bowl news conference about the New York Times story that indicated Specter's interest and identified Walsh as a person who might have inside knowledge about the Patriots' operations, Belichick said, "It's a league matter. I don't know anything about it."

Despite suggestions that he could be a player in expanding the Spygate probe, Walsh repeatedly has refused to provide ESPN.com with any evidence of wrongdoing by the Patriots. He also has refused to confirm that he has tapes in his possession.

Walsh said he is fearful of possible legal action against him by either the league or Patriots if he details what he knows. He refused to provide evidence of potential wrongdoing unless ESPN agreed to pay his legal fees related to his involvement in the story, as well as an indemnification agreement that would cover any damages found against him in court. ESPN denied his requests.

On Friday, Walsh told ESPN he is uncertain whether he would voluntarily meet with a Senate committee, if asked. Previously, however, he expressed a willingness to tell league officials what he knows if they should call.

"I wouldn't lie to them about anything, and especially because I don't know what they have," Walsh said. "I don't know what evidence they have. So there is no reason for me to lie to anybody, anyways. It is one thing for me to say, 'Hey, look, just not gonna talk about it.' It is not like a felony or crime or something where I got to go on a stand in court and swear on a Bible or something. It is the kind of thing where for me, personally, it could potentially do more harm to talk about it than not talk about it.

"But if the league contacted me and said, 'Did you do this? Did you do that? …' Maybe they have evidence I did, so I am not going to say, 'No, I didn't.'"

Like others trying to break into the NFL, Walsh came to the Patriots fresh out of college with little experience and a world of ambition. He graduated from Springfield College, class of 1998, with a degree in sports management. He didn't play college football; and though he claims to have spent parts of two seasons on the golf team, the college's sports information office has no record of him in its files.

He began his time with the NFL by working on the Patriots' game-day press box staff during his college years. Those connections led Walsh to an internship in the franchise's public relations department during the first semester of his senior year at Springfield. In an effort to get ahead with the team, Walsh told ESPN.com, he offered to help out in the scouting department, which was then headed by Bobby Grier, after his day shift in PR ended.

Walsh found himself without a full-time job after graduation. He was working as a lifeguard on Cape Cod when the Patriots called just days before the start of camp and offered him a job as a video assistant, even though he had no expertise or training in that area.

In the winter of 2002-03, Walsh said he was fired by Patriots vice president for player personnel Scott Pioli, and then spent a year on the video staff of the Cologne Centurions in now-defunct NFL Europe. Walsh says he was frustrated with the monotony of the scouting job in New England -- he focused on the few football-playing colleges in western New York -- and that may have been a factor in his dismissal. He suggested it likely got back to the Patriots that he had made overtures about video jobs with other teams. He eventually landed a series of assistant golf pro jobs at private clubs in New England and Arizona.

He can be found these days on the staff at the Ka'anapali Golf Resort in Lahaina, Hawaii, a 36-hole layout that caters to tourists visiting the high-end hotels and resort condos that line the long stretch of beach overlooking the Pacific Ocean. As he spoke with ESPN.com on a recent morning, he strode around the course confidently, talking up guests between an occasional golf lesson.

Walsh described himself as a guy who makes friends easily, and who is adroit at working deals. When he worked video for the Patriots, he said, he often finagled a round of golf at top course in exchange for game tickets. After he left the Patriots, he hooked up with a high school friend who worked security for his favorite group, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and followed the band on tour over 27 stops, sharing drink and food backstage with band members by night, and playing golf by day.

His air of confidence, though, came and went as he chatted about whether he wants to involve himself in Spygate. He has a young wife who is a physical therapist, and an 8-month-old son. He has family back in New England who, he said, could be in harm's way if he damages the Patriots with any information he might disclose. Even in Hawaii, he remains a New England season-ticket holder. And he said he worries about how he might be perceived by future employers if he blows the whistle on the Patriots.

And he wondered aloud what might be in it for him if he does.

He said he fears the potential wrath of the Patriots, and their ability to tie him in up in court for an extended period of time. Although he stopped short of saying he has actual video evidence, he suggested he does; and so raised the possibility that it might be viewed as stolen property.

He mentioned a confidentiality agreement he signed with the club, though he's not sure how that might factor into what he has to say.

"So whether that still covers me talking about things that we did when I was there or not, I'm not completely sure," Walsh said. "But if it doesn't -- if the worst they do is get pissed off that I am coming out talking to national media about all these things that I know that they have done and what not, and they just decide to pull my season tickets -- well, OK. At the end of the day, what did I get out of it? I lost my season tickets."

At one point, when the discussion turned to potential evidence, he said, "I'd use it if they came after me. The last thing I need is for people to make a case against me."

During an afternoon tour of the golf course where he works, Walsh stopped and pointed out Black Rock, a cliff where a nightly ritual features a lone figure lifting a torch to salute the sky before plunging into the dark waters, home to the occasional small shark. He used that scene as an analogy to the risk he'd face coming forward with his story.

"That guy is taking a chance jumping into shark-infested waters," Walsh said, motioning toward the cliff. "There'd be nothing to come out of it for me. Be a helluva risk."

He said he does not feel an ethical urge to do what some might perceive as the right thing, to help set the record straight -- either by exposing the Patriots or by depicting them as simply doing what every other team does.

"I'll be honest with you: I can't really be guilted into anything," he said. "Maybe after this whole thing, you don't think I have a conscience because of the people I was exposed to and what they had me doing.

"Really, I just [have] no incentive to really talk to anybody, no reason to do it. For me, personally, I haven't really been able to see the gain in doing it."

But now the Senate Judiciary Committee knows about him. And perhaps the incentive will come in the form of a subpoena from Specter's committee.

esoxx
02-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Dispersal draft would solve it all.

twoseven
02-02-2008, 05:58 AM
This senator is a joke, plain and simple. This should have been brought up FIVE months ago, not a week before the big game. It's arguable that the government getting involved in the steroid problem in baseball is a waste of time and resources, and outside the boundaries of what is acceptable. THIS, however, is the biggest bunch of crap I have heard in a long while. Much like that lowlife attorney in the Duke Lax case, I'd like to see this clown Specter removed from his position for this ridiculous witchhunt he's stirring up. All the while completely disrespecting and undermining Roger Goodell's authority, his decisions, and his ensuing actions that are nearly half a year old.

b bulldog
02-02-2008, 06:55 AM
:beat:

KYPack
02-02-2008, 08:02 AM
I've actually got some insight into Matt Walsh's little story.

1. Arlen Specter is a cheap political hack who loves to grandstand so he can reclaim his Senate seat every six years.

2. Roger Goodell thinks he is following in the footsteps of Rozelle and Tagliabue. He is actually an inept boob who is gonna steer the NFL into trouble if the league doesn't get somebody competent in that position real pronto.

3. Matt Walsh is a cheap ass golf hustler and drama queen on the make trying to see what he can get out of his little story. Any time I see something like this I try to find some little detail that I know about and compare it with the guy's story so I can judge the tale's truthfulness.

Remember this little tidbit?

'Black Rock, a cliff where a nightly ritual features a lone figure lifting a torch to salute the sky before plunging into the dark waters, home to the occasional small shark. He used that scene as an analogy to the risk he'd face coming forward with his story.

"That guy is taking a chance jumping into shark-infested waters," Walsh said, motioning toward the cliff.'

That guy is performing a task that is about as dangerous as your local mailman dropping a letter into the slot (No offense, Joe).

That leap is SO dangerous it is replicated every nite by dozens of drunken kids from the local hotels.I've scuba dived and snorkled that exact area many times. it's one of the easiest and safest dive areas in the world.
The leap is a show for tourists slurping their drinks around the patios of the hotels in the area.
That show is very similar to Sen Specter's bullshit investigation. Just a show, but nothing to it.

Bretsky
02-02-2008, 08:05 AM
This senator is a joke, plain and simple. This should have been brought up FIVE months ago, not a week before the big game. It's arguable that the government getting involved in the steroid problem in baseball is a waste of time and resources, and outside the boundaries of what is acceptable. THIS, however, is the biggest bunch of crap I have heard in a long while. Much like that lowlife attorney in the Duke Lax case, I'd like to see this clown Specter removed from his position for this ridiculous witchhunt he's stirring up. All the while completely disrespecting and undermining Roger Goodell's authority, his decisions, and his ensuing actions that are nearly half a year old.

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

MJZiggy
02-02-2008, 09:58 AM

Much as I hate Belichick and would love to see his actions brought to light, I gotta believe the US Senate has better things to do, so with that I agree with Bretsky.

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

Patler
02-02-2008, 10:17 AM
1. I think involving Congress at this stage is ridiculous.
2. I also think the NFL could have handled it better than they did.

However, the mere existence of #2 above does not diminish #1 above. It is still ridiculous for Congress to get involved.

I'm not sure why Congress is involved in the baseball investigations. If anything it should be the FBI and other law enforcement agencies to investigate criminal activity. If crimes were committed, charge them. If not, forget it.

Bringing charges against people for perjury in Congressional testimony for hearings Congress had no purpose holding in the first place is a bit ridiculous.

packinpatland
02-02-2008, 10:42 AM
I think that Congress involved with any of these sports issues, boils down to money.

Altho we'd like to say 'it's just a game', it is big.....huge buisiness.

arcilite
02-02-2008, 11:09 AM
The reason why congress is involved is because leagues such as the NFL and MLB have anti-trust exemptions granted to them by congress. Congress has the power to take these exemptions away, so they like to make sure things are done right.

Patler
02-02-2008, 11:24 AM
The reason why congress is involved is because leagues such as the NFL and MLB have anti-trust exemptions granted to them by congress. Congress has the power to take these exemptions away, so they like to make sure things are done right.

The real reason they are involved is because pro sports are front page news, and the politicians can make political hay from "protecting their voters" from unscrupulous sports owners. If the voters don't care, the politicians won't care, exemptions or not.

The anti-trust "exemptions" will remain as long as:
1. Voters want them to remain.
2. The appropriate campaign contributions are made to political campaigns.

packinpatland
02-02-2008, 11:59 AM

The real reason they are involved is because pro sports are front page news, and the politicians can make political hay from "protecting their voters" from unscrupulous sports owners. If the voters don't care, the politicians won't care, exemptions or not.

The anti-trust "exemptions" will remain as long as:
1. Voters want them to remain.
2. The appropriate campaign contributions are made to political campaigns.

This voter is ready to call in the exemptions.

packers11
02-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Report: Source claimed Patriots taped Rams before Super Bowl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

An unnamed source has claimed a New England Patriots employee secretly videotaped the St. Louis Rams' pre-game walkthrough the day before Super Bowl XXXVI, the Boston Herald reported Saturday.

According to the report, an unnamed source close to the team during the 2001 season said that following the Patriots' walkthrough at the Louisiana Superdome, a member of the team's video staff stayed behind and taped the Rams' walkthrough -- a non-contact, no-pads practice at reduced speed in which a team goes through its plays.

The cameraman was not asked to identify himself or produce a press pass and rode the media shuttle back to the Patriots' hotel after it was over, a source told the Herald. It is not known what became of the tape afterwards, or whether the cameraman made the tape on his own initiative or at someone else's instruction, according to the report.

Asked about the report, Patriots media relations Stacey James said "The coaches have no knowledge of it," according to the Herald.

The next day, the Patriots upset the favored Rams 20-17 for their first Super Bowl championship. New England will play the New York Giants in Super Bowl XLII on Sunday, in a bid to become the first NFL team to finish a season 19-0.

Former St. Louis Rams quarterback Kurt Warner, currently with the Arizona Cardinals, told ESPN.com investigative reporter Mike Fish that if the league has heard those claims, he's surprised the NFL has not spoken to former Patriots video department employee Matt Walsh. He said if Walsh or any other source has information, it should be investigated.

Walsh, a former Patriots video assistant, has suggested to ESPN.com that he has information that could have exposed the Patriots prior to the NFL catching New England taping the New York Jets' defensive signals during the 2007 season opener. The Patriots were fined $750,000 and lost a first-round draft pick as punishment.

"If I had a reason to want to go public, or tell a story, I could have done it before it even broke," Walsh told ESPN.com. "I could have said everything rather than having [Jets head coach Eric] Mangini be the one to bring it out."

"If they're doing a thorough investigation -- they didn't contact me," Walsh told ESPN.com. "So draw your own conclusions. Maybe they felt they didn't need to. Maybe the league feels they got satisfactory answers from everything the Patriots sent them."

Walsh, 31, now an assistant golf pro at the Ka'anapli Golf Resort in Lahaina, Hawaii, worked for the Patriots from 1996 until the winter of 2002-03 when he was fired. He has hinted to ESPN.com that he has information that could be damaging to both the league and the Patriots, but declined to make it available, saying that it could possibly be seen as stolen property.

Walsh said he is fearful of potential legal action against him by either the league or Patriots if he details what he knows. He has refused to provide evidence of potential wrongdoing unless ESPN agreed to pay his legal fees related to his involvement in the story, as well as an indemnification agreement that would cover any damages found against him in court. ESPN denied his requests.

Friday, Senator Arlen Specter, R-Pa., said he had written NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, seeking an explanation as to why evidence in the NFL's investigation of the Patriots videotaping was destroyed.

"I am very concerned about the underlying facts on the taping, the reasons for the judgment on the limited penalties and, most of all, on the inexplicable destruction of the tapes," Specter said in the letter to Goodell.

Specter, the ranking Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, said the matter could put the league's antitrust exemption at risk. In a phone interview with The New York Times, which first reported Specter's interest in Spygate, he said the committee at some point will call on Goodell to address the antitrust exemption as well as the destruction of the tapes.

Goodell, in his previously scheduled news conference Friday from Phoenix, said, "I am more than willing to speak with the senator. There are very good explanations why the tapes were destroyed by our staff -- there was no purpose for them."

There were six tapes, according to Goodell -- some from the 2007 preseason, and the rest from 2006. He said he had them destroyed because he was confident that the Patriots had turned over all of the tapes and notes the NFL had requested in its investigation. He also said they were destroyed in order to prevent leaks to the media -- as some footage from one of the tapes was shortly after the story broke.

"We wanted to take and destroy that information," Goodell said. "They may have collected it within the rules, but we couldn't determine that. So we felt that it should be destroyed."

Patriots coach Bill Belichick had little to add on the subject.

"It's a league matter," he said Friday during his news conference. "I don't know anything about it."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

twoseven
02-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Earlier in the week, as response to spygate revisited, Howie Long mentioned that Jimmy Johnson might be able to share some personal Miami Dolphins information regarding the cheating issue in the NFL. Howie seemed to imply it goes on more often and to a deeper extent than some realize. We'll see if JJ has anything to say about it tomorrow.

Being very good at your NFL coaching job as it pertains to the letter of the law and the rules of the league versus what might be considered cheating? Talk about opening a Pandora's box o' road apples. Just play, please.

packinpatland
02-02-2008, 01:34 PM
The tapes were disposed of because:

"information that could be damaging to both the league and the Patriots. "

I just believe there was more to this. But hey, chances are we'll never know.