PDA

View Full Version : Want to be BREAK THE BANK or be RELEVANT

Bretsky
02-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Here is the great question many players in the NFL face.

Edgerrin James is the best example as of late
Asante Samuel and Randy Moss may be making he decision soon.

If you were a NFL player, which route would you go ??

The Indianapolis Colts seemed to want Edgerrin James to come back and reportedly had offered him a decent deal....but not too near what he would garner on the open market.

The Edge could have stayed there playing for a proven winner and become very rich. Or he could choose to leave to be incredibly rich and barely relevant to the NFL. He Chose B. While his wallet is huge, he's hardly noticeable anymore. He could have stayed with Indy, and had fame and fortune. But he chose the bigger fortune. And now we seems invisible.

Guys like Asante Samuel, Randy Moss, and maybe to a much smaller extent C Williams will soon face that same decision.

Most of the better teams as of late have managed their cap effectively. And there WILL be teams desperate enough to win that they will grossly grossly overpay for services.

Both Samuel and Moss can stay in New England, win more titles, and have both fame and a lesser fortune. New England rarely overpays players, and when they leave many players will go there at a lesser price to win and win big

Or Moss and Samuel can go for the bigger fortune and very possibly fade back to obscurity.

WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE ??????[/list]

twoseven
02-02-2008, 01:39 PM
All I know is every one of them point to the ring as the one defining moment they all strive for. I cannot see how they turn that down for a bigger paycheck when they are already well compensated. But then again like most of us working for a living, I am very good with what money I make and can make that statement. Most of these guys probably have the financial fiscals of a 6 year old with $5.25 in their pocket on their way to an arcade, so a massive pay raise is very important to them, more cushion under them as they aren't the best at holding on to it. Knowing what I need to be happy and being able to manage my income, I would stick around for the ring.

Tony Oday
02-02-2008, 01:42 PM
If it was myself its all about the money. This is a job and if a company asked me to work for them for double I would.

MTPackerfan
02-02-2008, 01:53 PM
I think with both Moss and Samual, if the Pats win the SB, then they both go for the $$ for sure.

KYPack
02-02-2008, 02:27 PM
None of us can say.

Many times the decision is between playing for a healthy paycheck or having enough money to retire and never worry about money for the rest of your life. That's a tough one and nobody can say what they'd do ubtil they face that choice (for real) themselves.

BF4MVP
02-02-2008, 03:28 PM
No way to know for sure unless we're put in that situation..But my line of thinking right now is the ultimate goal is to win..When you're already making more than you could ever spend, a few million more dollars doesn't really make a difference..I'd rather be on a winning team.

LL2
02-02-2008, 04:26 PM
I agree we can't speak as if we will ever be in that situation. Comparing Moss and Samuel to James isn't a good comparison. If NE wins tomorrow, then Moss and Samuel will have a ring. If I had a ring I would go for the biggest contract I could get. In James case it's different. He never won a SB, but could've had a pretty good deal and got the ring. There are no promises though, so James can't have regrets for going to AZ for more money. Heck, AZ has a pretty decent team with some talent. They could be a surprise team next year and go to the SB.

For me the decision would depend on multiple factors, such as do I have a ring, what stage am I at in my career, what direction is the team (that is offering mega bucks) going, and so on. The decision is going to be different for everyone.

Scott Campbell
02-02-2008, 06:12 PM
WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE ??????[/list]

B, do you know how many beautiful lesbians there are in Phoenix?

b bulldog
02-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Moss has already made plenty so I think he may stay but Samuel will be gone.