PDA

View Full Version : Packers Don't Need Major Overhaul

BF4MVP
02-02-2008, 03:48 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080202/PKR07/802020510/1989

I agree with him..

Thought I better post a link instead so I'm not violating any rules haha

packinpatland
02-02-2008, 04:15 PM
I agree. Folks tend to forget.......we were one game away.

LL2
02-02-2008, 04:15 PM
I do not think anyone is calling for an overhaul. The team needs a tweak here and there. Add a playmaker or two, and this young a developing team can be right there in the SB next year.

MJZiggy
02-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Mike's been reading us again... 8-)

Jimx29
02-02-2008, 05:44 PM
There's nothing wrong with progress, unless common sense is trampled in the process. Decisions can't be based on the emotional frustration of a bitter playoff setback. Cooler heads must prevail.

QFT

b bulldog
02-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Good article but generating a passrush will be key. It is kind of funny, I was ripping the Pack about a lack of a passrush since the Carolina game and many in here thought I was crazy. :lol:

BF4MVP
02-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Good article but generating a passrush will be key. It is kind of funny, I was ripping the Pack about a lack of a passrush since the Carolina game and many in here thought I was crazy. :lol:
Yeah there hadn't been much of a pass rusn since mid-season..Kampman and Kabeer each only had 2 games with a sack in the final seven, and Jenkins was a nonfactor all season..

Harlan Huckleby
02-02-2008, 06:47 PM
They are ok for next year, probably they can squeeze another season out of the corners. I'd like to see a really good O lineman from free agency.

twoseven
02-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Yeah there hadn't been much of a pass rusn since mid-season..Kampman and Kabeer each only had 2 games with a sack in the final seven, and Jenkins was a nonfactor all season..
Anybody else think our bookends could be more efective if we had a DT that could regularily get pressure upfield?

HarveyWallbangers
02-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Thought I better post a link instead so I'm not violating any rules haha

I still don't get. Every forum you go to has people posting articles from other sites (the KFAN forum that I visit occasionally, for instance). Bee'otches. Them and whomever made them aware of this site.

Joemailman
02-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Anybody else think our bookends could be more efective if we had a DT that could regularily get pressure upfield?

That was Jolly. The pass rush suffered noticeably when he went out.

b bulldog
02-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Jolly was a decent run stuffer and seemed to hjave a knock for batting down passes. He is also a good rotation guy imo, if all of you are putting all of your passrush hopes on Jolly next year, your crazy imo.

Patler
02-02-2008, 10:05 PM
The pass rush from the DTs is not going to improve if Williams leaves.
The biggest improvement might come from a healthy Jenkins.

Patler
02-02-2008, 10:19 PM
The biggest need on this team right now is finding replacements for Harris and Woodson.

Woodson is more likely to miss games than to not miss games. It is likely that he will miss games next year. GB was fortunate in 2006 with his health. It was not a typical Woodson season. In fact it was the only time in the last six seasons that he has no missed games due to injuries.

Even ignoring the Giants game, I think Harris has started to slip. He is at an age where he could lose a lot from one season to the next. He has managed to play every game, but seems to have lingering injuries the last few seasons. At his age, playing hurt will further deteriorate his performance.

I am more concerned with the CBs than any other position. They are key to the defense. We can play with the guards, because we have and they are young so will stay the same or improve. But cornerbacks who are 32 and 33 going in to the season are a real concern, in my opinion.

BF4MVP
02-02-2008, 10:51 PM
I would like to sign Asante Samuel because we have cap room and he's a 27-year-old Pro Bowler who would be a perfect replacement for either Woodson or Harris in a couple years..Problem is, until Woodson or Harris needs to be replaced, there's no room for him here. Woodson wouldn't want to play safety and Harris wouldn't want to be benched, and one of those two scenarios would have to take place in order to make room for Samuel..

RashanGary
02-02-2008, 10:57 PM

It was ever since Jolly went down and I wasn't calling you crazy. I was just attributing it to a combination of Jolly and KGB being down. I still do attribute it to that, and that is all the more reason why I want to keep Williams around for one more year. The depth wears teams out. This year Jolly should be better and Harrell should be a lot better. That's all the more reason to add the cherry with Williams. One year, 6 mil. I'll take it.

Bretsky
02-03-2008, 12:53 AM

It was ever since Jolly went down and I wasn't calling you crazy. I was just attributing it to a combination of Jolly and KGB being down. I still do attribute it to that, and that is all the more reason why I want to keep Williams around for one more year. The depth wears teams out. This year Jolly should be better and Harrell should be a lot better. That's all the more reason to add the cherry with Williams. One year, 6 mil. I'll take it.

If Favre stays around I'm all for keeping CW around......because we can. Our cap is healthy and a franchise for a year while we take a shot is worth it.

If Favre retires I can see the logic behind not doing the franchise tag

b bulldog
02-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Nick, you weren't the one I was refering to, I don't remember who it was but it wasn't you. 99 is NOT WORTH 6.5MIL, plain and simple. I'd rather give that to a player that is worth that. I'd bet that if CW leaves, his numbers next year will be average at best on his new team. I would also say that if brett leaves or stays, 99 should be allowed to leave. My logic behind this is simple, if he stays, that is a good chunk of cap space that could be given to a starter, not a backup or to a new player to start in the DL and if Brett decides to leave, that along with Bretts 10mil could be used to get some real playmakers here on D. What did 99 do when given the chance to make you think he is worth 6.5 this season???????????? My gut tells me that TT will side with me but we'll see.

Patler
02-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Nick, you weren't the one I was refering to, I don't remember who it was but it wasn't you. 99 is NOT WORTH 6.5MIL, plain and simple. I'd rather give that to a player that is worth that. I'd bet that if CW leaves, his numbers next year will be average at best on his new team. I would also say that if brett leaves or stays, 99 should be allowed to leave. My logic behind this is simple, if he stays, that is a good chunk of cap space that could be given to a starter, not a backup or to a new player to start in the DL and if Brett decides to leave, that along with Bretts 10mil could be used to get some real playmakers here on D. What did 99 do when given the chance to make you think he is worth 6.5 this season???????????? My gut tells me that TT will side with me but we'll see.

I would be shocked if the Packers franchise Williams.

I will be surprised (not shocked) if someone else gives him a contract worth more than $5million/year; unless it is a very long contract with most of the value in the back end.

I will not be surprised if Williams gets a 4 or 5 year contract worth up to $20 million. I also will not be surprised if the best he can do is around $2 million/year. I find him a little hard to predict relative to his market potential. DEs with 10+ sacks per year seem to be highly prized. Even though Williams is the leader among DTs in sacks the last two seasons, I'm not completely convinced that will be highly prized in the market. Maybe, but I'm not convinced of it yet. I have a feeling that a pass rushing DT vs. a pass rushing DE might be valued on the open market like OGs vs OTs. Someone might step up with a huge contract, but not many will be in the bidding if it gets high.

HarveyWallbangers
02-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Williams will get a good chunk of change. I'd be surprised if he didn't get close to $5M/year. Or more.

Scott Campbell
02-03-2008, 02:43 PM
The biggest improvement might come from a healthy Jenkins.

Press coverage of the Packers has completely missed the boat on this issue. The guy was a monster in pre-season, and then dissappeared for most of the year. It's a no brainer topic for an in depth article, but I've read almost nothing on it.

What the heck happened to Jenkins?

b bulldog
02-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Not saying this is totally it but many times, once a player gets paid,well.....you know the rest of the story. I know he was dinged up also but I think he had a bad year no matter how you slice it.

Patler
02-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Not saying this is totally it but many times, once a player gets paid,well.....you know the rest of the story. I know he was dinged up also but I think he had a bad year no matter how you slice it.

He was hurt a lot early, and one article implied he didn't know how to play through it. He was letting the injuries affect him too much. Some comments from d-coaches that he needed to just forget about it and play, because chances are he would not fully recover until the off season anyway.

I found it to be a bit disconcerting, because as they get older pro athletes are always dinged up. If he can't handle it now, he never will.