PDA

View Full Version : Belichick facing 1 year suspension?

Brando19
02-03-2008, 12:38 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reports that, if it turns out that former Patriots employee Matt Walsh has in possession video of the Rams' final walk-through practice from Super Bowl XXXVI, New England head coach Bill Belichick will be suspended.

For a year.

Wow.

If Walsh has a such a tape, and if Belichick knows or suspects that he does, it could have a profound affect on Belichick as he prepares for the final act in a possible 19-0 season. We're not saying that it'll affect his coaching in any way; it might actually make him more focused and determined. But the knowledge that this game could be his last one for 19 months, and possibly his final time on the sidelines with the Patriots ever, is likely something that not even the modern-day Bud Grant would be able to conceal.

Indeed, if Belichick knows that he's toast, he might opt to retire before "Spygate II" hits the fan. And he'll be carrying those thoughts somewhere in his brain throughout the day and night in Phoenix.

And given that the Patriots have issued a statement calling Saturday's report from the Boston Herald "absolutely false," evidence to the contrary might compel owner Bob Kraft to fire his head coach on the heels of a fourth Super Bowl win in seven seasons.

Though plenty of folks are questioning the timing of these new disclosures, the fact is that if there's any truth to the report and that truth comes out, the guy who'll pay the biggest price is Belichick.

Either way, this is something that needs to be investigated quickly, so that if there's nothing to it the Pats and Belichick can have the cloud of suspicion removed.

b bulldog
02-03-2008, 12:43 PM
The timing is very interesting but if this is found to be true, BB will retire.

Brando19
02-03-2008, 12:48 PM
The timing is very interesting but if this is found to be true, BB will retire.

We can only hope. Belichick is the Satan of football.

packers11
02-03-2008, 12:49 PM
once a cheater; always a cheater

BallHawk
02-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Couldn't we wait until after the Super Bowl to go down this road again? :roll:

b bulldog
02-03-2008, 12:57 PM
aLL THIS IS GOING TO DO IS UPSET THE pATS AND HAVE THE gIANTS GET THEIR DOORS BLOWN OFF.

Carolina_Packer
02-03-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm not saying the timing is right, but if you have an axe to grind, now is the perfect time. Who is paying more attention to the issue than during the Super Bowl? It loses its affect a bit if you report it after. We'll see if it's any kind of distraction.

Brando19
02-03-2008, 01:01 PM

Why? The Super Bowl means nothing to Packer fans. That being said...on with the suspend Belichick posts!

BallHawk
02-03-2008, 01:13 PM

Why? The Super Bowl means nothing to Packer fans. That being said...on with the suspend Belichick posts!

I don't mean in regards to Packer fans, but in regards to the league. This is the biggest sporting events in America, one of the biggest in the world, and we bring up a story about corruption and cheating now? A few hours before the game. It takes attention off the actual game which is certainly not what the NFL wants.

oregonpackfan
02-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Belichick suspended for a year?! It is never going to happen even if he was found to be involved in this incident.

This almost sounds like the headlines of a tabloid by the grocery store checkout.

Cheesehead Craig
02-03-2008, 01:52 PM
once a cheater; always a cheater
He was on a break!

Rastak
02-03-2008, 02:00 PM

What? Packer fans don't care about the years biggest game? I highly doubt you speak for all of them.

b bulldog
02-03-2008, 03:14 PM
I care, I love football and just because my favorite team choked away their chance doesn't mean I won't be interested in the last real game of the year.

Packers4Ever
02-03-2008, 03:25 PM

What? Packer fans don't care about the years biggest game? I highly doubt you speak for all of them.

Brando 19, don't bet on it !!
See FavreChild's current post concerning fans :wink:

Packers4Ever
02-03-2008, 03:34 PM

Brando 19, don't bet on it !!
See FavreChild's current post concerning fans :wink:

Also see MJZiggy's intro Post RE Belichek Suspension

Brando19
02-03-2008, 03:58 PM

Yeah, you're right. But there's one thing we can all agree on. Vikings fans don't care about the season past week 10.

Cheesehead Craig
02-03-2008, 04:02 PM
I doubt much will come out of all this investigation.

Rastak
02-03-2008, 04:10 PM

Yeah, you're right. But there's one thing we can all agree on. Vikings fans don't care about the season past week 10.

Ah, but you lie. I never lost interest. It just sorta waned after the Vikings-Redskins game. You should cut the wide sweeping statement bullshit.

Brando19
02-03-2008, 04:16 PM

Ah, but you lie. I never lost interest. It just sorta waned after the Vikings-Redskins game. You should cut the wide sweeping statement bullshit.

Oh ok....you're right. I would visit the Packers forums if I were you as well....especially after the shutout this year.

Rastak
02-03-2008, 04:25 PM

Oh ok....you're right. I would visit the Packers forums if I were you as well....especially after the shutout this year.

Shutouts are never good I must admit.

Brando19
02-03-2008, 04:27 PM

Shutouts are never good I must admit.

Sunday, Nov 11, Green Bay 34 Minnesota 0

Brando19
02-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Shutouts suck. Imagine paying to fly from WV to Green Bay to watch the Packers get beat 27-0 by the BEARS! That's the only time I've ever been to Lambeau. :cry:

Rastak
02-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Shutouts suck. Imagine paying to fly from WV to Green Bay to watch the Packers get beat 27-0 by the BEARS! That's the only time I've ever been to Lambeau. :cry:

That would suck. I'm sure everything but the game was cool though.

Harlan Huckleby
02-03-2008, 04:59 PM
too good to be true.

MadtownPacker
02-03-2008, 05:01 PM
If this turns out to be true goddell will look like a total moron. He was quick to cover everything up and make this all go away and now it is knocking on his door on his leagues biggest day. He is such a piece of crap.

cpk1994
02-03-2008, 08:02 PM
aLL THIS IS GOING TO DO IS UPSET THE pATS AND HAVE THE gIANTS GET THEIR DOORS BLOWN OFF.

Good call, Carnac :D

NewsBruin
02-03-2008, 08:50 PM
I find it wildly hard to believe that the Patriots only started to cheat after they won 3 Super Bowls.

NewsBruin
02-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Remember when it was "classless" for Randy Moss to walk off the field before the game was over?

Yeah, just saying...

cpk1994
02-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Remember when it was "classless" for Randy Moss to walk off the field before the game was over?

Yeah, just saying...He tried to do it again. BB beat him to it.

packinpatland
02-03-2008, 09:16 PM
If this turns out to be true goddell will look like a total moron. He was quick to cover everything up and make this all go away and now it is knocking on his door on his leagues biggest day. He is such a piece of crap.

Well said.

esoxx
02-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Stick a fork in them.

Joemailman
02-03-2008, 11:23 PM

I wonder if the NFL owners are starting to wonder if they made a mistake picking this guy. I've not been impressed with him, and a scandal would not sit well with a lot of people. The NFL brings in a ton of money because of a great image that Tagliabue helped to nurture. So far, this guy is no Tagliabue.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-04-2008, 12:36 AM

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

BTW, the cap locks are not your friend.

Zool
02-04-2008, 08:03 AM

D'OH!

The Leaper
02-04-2008, 08:29 AM
I wonder if the NFL owners are starting to wonder if they made a mistake picking this guy. I've not been impressed with him, and a scandal would not sit well with a lot of people. The NFL brings in a ton of money because of a great image that Tagliabue helped to nurture. So far, this guy is no Tagliabue.

What makes you think Tags would've handled this situation any differently?

Truth be told, it was Goodell's own crackdown on videotaping in the first place (not Tags...who overlooked what the Pats had probably been doing for years) that caused the Spygate scandal to come up in the first place. Goodell did crack down pretty hard as well...loss of a first round pick and a $500k fine? When did Tags ever come down that hard on someone?

Claiming that the scandal would be blamed on Goodell is pretty dumb. The only people who should be blamed for a video taping scandal would be those who perpetrated it. It certainly isn't Goodell's fault.

Noodle
02-04-2008, 08:37 AM
What I can't understand is that Goodell destroyed all the tapes the Pats gave him. You never do that. Lock 'em up somewhere, bury them in a pit, but don't destroy stuff. it only makes people wonder what you're trying to hide. He should know better.

packinpatland
02-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Didn't he make some comment about one of them leaked to the media?
Lock the damn things up then. :roll:

twoseven
02-04-2008, 01:52 PM
The issue of what happend at the NYJ game is a totally seperate incident, the tapes he got from the Pats didn't go back any further than 2006. Anything else pertaining to these NEW allegations have yet to be provided to him, and they certainly weren't destroyed.

I agree that Goodell should not have trashed the 06-07 tapes, but he apparently did so because they completely matched up with other evidence he was presented, I guess he felt they weren't needed. Still VERY STUPID to burn them up.

But it's way too early to judge him for what has been alledged for 2002, he's been provided nothing at this point, other than the Pats getting nipped for the same kind of thing already. This kid Walsh holds the keys (or maybe he doesn't) to what Goodell can and will be able to do about 2002, we'll see what Walsh does.

MadtownPacker
02-04-2008, 02:17 PM
The issue of what happend at the NYJ game is a totally seperate incident, the tapes he got from the Pats didn't go back any further than 2006. Anything else pertaining to these NEW allegations have yet to be provided to him, and they certainly weren't destroyed..And exactly who the hell said the stuff on the destroyed tapes only went bakc to 2006? goddell??? Of course he will say that. After seeing the NBA and MLB ridiculed there is no way the commish would want to have shit like this hanging over the NFL's back.

twoseven
02-04-2008, 02:23 PM
The issue of what happend at the NYJ game is a totally seperate incident, the tapes he got from the Pats didn't go back any further than 2006. Anything else pertaining to these NEW allegations have yet to be provided to him, and they certainly weren't destroyed..And exactly who the hell said the stuff on the destroyed tapes only went bakc to 2006? goddell??? Of course he will say that. After seeing the NBA and MLB ridiculed there is no way the commish would want to have shit like this hanging over the NFL's back.
ESPN and their article on spygate says this, don't shoot the messenger.

woodbuck27
02-04-2008, 02:26 PM
I doubt much will come out of all this investigation.

Yup.

MadtownPacker
02-04-2008, 02:29 PM
ESPN and their article on spygate says this, don't shoot the messenger.ESPN?? :lol:

twoseven
02-04-2008, 02:30 PM
ESPN and their article on spygate says this, don't shoot the messenger.ESPN?? :lol:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/080202&sportCat=nfl&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos1

"Finally, Goodell declared that the materials the league destroyed contained no evidence of Super Bowl cheating. But the material went back only to 2006. The Patriots' Super Bowl wins came in 2002, 2004 and 2005."

Freak Out
02-05-2008, 07:00 PM
WTF is Arlen Specter doing wasting his time and our money worrying about "Spygate" or whatever the fuck the latest Patriots BS is being called? Why don't you go track down all the emails the White house lost and stop wasting time over the damn tapes the NFL commissioner trashed.

packinpatland
02-06-2008, 12:33 PM
This could have already posted...sorry if it has been.
I'm not a fan of Easterbrook. but gosh, he sure does raise some interesting questions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/080202&sportCat=nfl

Tyrone Bigguns
02-06-2008, 02:00 PM
WTF is Arlen Specter doing wasting his time and our money worrying about "Spygate" or whatever the fuck the latest Patriots BS is being called? Why don't you go track down all the emails the White house lost and stop wasting time over the damn tapes the NFL commissioner trashed.

Are you questioning our GOVERNMENT?

sotto voce: boys, trace that ip. I think we have a potential terrorist threat.

Carolina_Packer
02-06-2008, 02:22 PM
What I can't understand is that Goodell destroyed all the tapes the Pats gave him. You never do that. Lock 'em up somewhere, bury them in a pit, but don't destroy stuff. it only makes people wonder what you're trying to hide. He should know better.

My thoughts exactly when it happened. Greg Aiello was the spokeman at the time and the reasoning for doing it seemed flimsy. I think the NFL just wanted the situation to go away as quickly as possible, but I don't see how destroying evidence right away does that. It may prove to be a dumb move.

packinpatland
02-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Easterbrook makes a good point here:

"At the news conference, Goodell disclosed several things the NFL previously had refused to discuss. He said that only six tapes and some notes had been turned over to the league by the Patriots, not voluminous materials, as had been assumed; that the tapes all contained only in-game film of opponents' sidelines; and that the oldest tape was from the 2006 regular season, with nothing before that year. Goodell went on to say several times that attempting to steal sideline signals during games is common in football and, although not encouraged, is viewed as an occupational hazard in the sport. Goodell also asserted the Patriots' questionable activities did not alter the outcome of any game.

Goodell's remarks were puzzling in several respects. First, if the Patriots were guilty only of occasional sideline taping, this would seem to merit a letter of reprimand. So why were the Patriots hit with the harshest fine in NFL history? When the scandal first broke, Goodell used extremely strong language about New England's sins. Now, he was implying the whole thing was no big deal."

Jimx29
02-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Bottom line: If you have nothing to hide you surely would not destroy any evidence.

Lawyer speak 101