PDA

View Full Version : Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

The_Dude
02-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Just wanted to say that it was great choice for half time. Finally someone I actually looked forward to watch/listen.

The Shadow
02-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Anything besides that awful Prince mess is a major improvement.
Petty was good.

FavreChild
02-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Petty is a great American songwriter.

Great choice; loved the show.

Can't wait to see him at Summerfest! 8-)

Bretsky
02-03-2008, 07:21 PM
My wife said it was nothing special and that they will probably go safe and boring for a while. She also said it was no Janet Jackson........lol

I put the kids to bed at halftime; I'm here to watch the football and could care less about the halftime show

Rastak
02-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Petty was great. He's coming to town this spring...not sure if I'll plunk down the major cash, I saw them last year.

Brando19
02-03-2008, 07:29 PM
My wife is a huge Tom Petty fan....the only song I really like is Free Fallin.

FavreChild
02-03-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm here to watch the football and could care less about the halftime show

Then why are you here on this thread cracking on Petty? You are posting to say you have no opinion? :wink:

Go tend to your unborn baby girl!

PETTY RULES! 8-)

NewsBruin
02-03-2008, 08:48 PM
I liked the show a lot, but it's an odd choice for a Super Bowl halftime show. Better than Jackson/Timberlake by a longshot.

I saw Petty with 8 Wisconsin cousins at Summerfest about 7 years ago. What was a great concert. Anyone who thinks he might have a decent time at a Tom Petty concert should go.

FavreChild
02-03-2008, 09:36 PM
If anyone wants a copy of the halftime show, I'm sure the Patriots can provide a bootleg copy. :lol:

Cheesehead Craig
02-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Prince was a better halftime show than Petty. No knock on Petty, I just thought that Prince's show was that good.

Scott Campbell
02-03-2008, 09:56 PM
You may not like Prince's music, but his band was tight as hell. Petty was good too.

packinpatland
02-03-2008, 10:12 PM
If anyone wants a copy of the halftime show, I'm sure the Patriots can provide a bootleg copy. :lol:

Tom and the Heartbreakers..............how appropriate. :wink:

Partial
02-03-2008, 10:42 PM

:lol:

BF4MVP
02-03-2008, 10:43 PM
They were awesome.

MJZiggy
02-03-2008, 10:44 PM
I thought it was a good solid performance, but I'm hoping that next year they get someone younger than my dad...and don't have a bunch of teenie boppers trashing the field dancing to the tunes that they had to be taught because they're too young to remember them.

Joemailman
02-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Alicia Keys performed around 3:30. Next year maybe she gets prime time.

MJZiggy
02-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Now that would be sweet.

oregonpackfan
02-03-2008, 11:13 PM
I thought Petty and his group did a great job.

I was watching the performance with my 13 year old. After about the second song, I could tell she was enjoying it as well. Finally, she asked, "Who is this guy?"

I told her that it was Tom Petty and that I had the CD of his greatest hits(all of his songs he played during halftime are on that CD).

I asked her, "Would you like to borrow it?" Naturally, to preserve her pride, she responded, "Naw, that's all right." She wouldn't want to admit she likes the same music her father likes! :)

LL2
02-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Alicia Keys performed around 3:30. Next year maybe she gets prime time.

Why not Jordin Sparks on the half time show. She should move up from the national anthem :roll: (actually I think she did a pretty good job singing the national anthem).

Tyrone Bigguns
02-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Petty was good.

Prince was awesome.

Petty is great. Prince is a musical genius.

Also looked like he was lip synching. Pretty common.

Btw, calling them the heartbreakers is a stretch. What, are there 3 members from the original lineup, but Blair isn't part of the "classic" petty team...don't forget wisco's own howie epstein. Who was that guitarist..that sure wasn't mike campbell unless he changed his hair and got a face lift.

denverYooper
02-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Petty was good.

Prince was awesome.

Petty is great. Prince is a musical genius.

I agree. Petty writes a satisfying pop song but Prince is a musical genius. He's a great composer in multiple styles and he can shred with the best of 'em.

Noodle
02-04-2008, 08:32 AM
To me, no comparison. Prince smoked the friggin' house, was inventive, and showed some flat out rebellion with that stroke-the-guitar-behind-the-scrim bit.

Petty was ok. Songs sounded just like the studio, even the solos were note-for-note duplicates, and he looked stiff and old as hell. I like Petty a lot, but his performance was nothing special. I'll forget it in a week.

But Prince? Man, I smile every time I think of him owning that stage.

red
02-04-2008, 08:45 AM
prince was awesome

petty was good

who else should they get to do that show?

maybe the boss? he'd be perfect

its gotta be something that hits a large range of people, so no boy bands or ac/dc types

FavreChild
02-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Who was that guitarist..that sure wasn't mike campbell unless he changed his hair and got a face lift.

Ha - yes, that was Campbell.

FYI, there will be a new album from Mudcrutch in April, I believe.

Prince is a great performer, no doubt.

Petty is a great American songwriter. That's why he was chosen, and the choice was very appropriate for the event.

RashanGary
02-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Prince was a better halftime show than Petty. No knock on Petty, I just thought that Prince's show was that good.

I've never seen Prince, but he really kicked ass the one time I watched him (at the SB)

As far as the Petty performance, that guitar thing looked like a giant penis. I know it's been mentioned, but you guys had to of seen that, right?

My wife said I think everything is a giant penis so maybe it was just me and a couple other pervs.

red
02-04-2008, 08:57 AM
your wife thinks everything looks like a big penis, or you do?

either way, you should be worried lol

RashanGary
02-04-2008, 09:04 AM
I liked Prince and I think everything is a giant penis.

Why do I feel ambiguously gay all of a sudden.

MJZiggy
02-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Seems pretty unambiguous to me...

Tyrone Bigguns
02-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Who was that guitarist..that sure wasn't mike campbell unless he changed his hair and got a face lift.

Petty is a great American songwriter. That's why he was chosen, and the choice was very appropriate for the event.

You are sure that the guy doing the solos was campbell. He looked 20 years younger than the rest of the band. I've seen petty numerous times...all the way back in the mid eighties...friends with the howie's younger brother...and that didn't even look like campbell.

I'm not saying you are wrong...but, i need some proof.

Harlan Huckleby
02-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Prince was fine last year.

I was really impressed with Tom Petty, the band was excellent.

I've never been a big Tom Petty fan, his music is not that distinctive to me. But maybe I missed something.

MJZiggy
02-04-2008, 02:32 PM

You are sure that the guy doing the solos was campbell. He looked 20 years younger than the rest of the band. I've seen petty numerous times...all the way back in the mid eighties...friends with the howie's younger brother...and that didn't even look like campbell.

I'm not saying you are wrong...but, i need some proof.

Maybe they wouldn't let him out of the nursing home for the event?

woodbuck27
02-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Tom Petty is PRIMO!

I'm a huge fan of his work.

John Mellancamp was just in Montreal (Saturday Night) and I couldn't get tickets. Double DAMN! Tom Cochrane abnd his band Red Rider fronted for John Mellancamp and his amazing band.

That's like way over the top too much to lose. Mellancamp is way too good not to see in my lifetime. It was so close to a reality but I heard of it too late. Hard to get tickets here as there are too many connected people (insiders).

I'm just a lowly Maritimes. Lost in this wrangshangled place, Haha. :D

The Shadow
02-04-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm amazed that anyone over teenybopper age would find Prince 'awesome'.
Just me, but I thought his show - and music - was both pompous and mediocre simultaneously.

woodbuck27
02-04-2008, 03:57 PM

I've never seen Prince, but he really kicked ass the one time I watched him (at the SB)

As far as the Petty performance, that guitar thing looked like a giant penis. I know it's been mentioned, but you guys had to of seen that, right?

My wife said I think everything is a giant penis so maybe it was just me and a couple other pervs.

Prince always kicks ass! An amazing performer. It's too obvious 'in your face' that man's talent.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Tom Petty is PRIMO!

I'm a huge fan of his work.

John Mellancamp was just in Montreal (Saturday Night) and I couldn't get tickets. Double DAMN! Tom Cochrane abnd his band Red Rider fronted for John Mellancamp and his amazing band.

That's like way over the top too much to lose. Mellancamp is way too good not to see in my lifetime. It was so close to a reality but I heard of it too late. Hard to get tickets here as there are too many connected people (insiders).

I'm just a lowly Maritimes. Lost in this wrangshangled place, Haha. :D

Yeah, those insiders must snapped up 10,000 tickets. :roll:

Ever hear of the internet. You go the website www.centrebell.com and you see what concerts are playing.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Just me, but I thought his show - and music - was both pompous and mediocre simultaneously.

It just shows that you really know very little about music or the people's taste.

What is amazing in you having the balls to actually question people liking prince.

Has 11 # 1's, 22 top ten hits, has 4 grammies, Inducted into the hall of fame in 2004.

Yeah, he must really suck to have released an album when he was 20 on a major label that he wrote and played all 27 instruments, BACK IN 1978.

Oh, and that little movie he did that won an academy award. Prince simultaneously held the spots #1 film, #1 single, and #1 album in the US..24 weeks for the album at #1. Some little album RS calls one of the top 100 of all time.

Or those groups/artists he formed that were huge like THE TIME (4 albums with Prince writing and performing all instruments and backing vocals), Vanity Six, Apollonia, Sheila E, etc.

Or the long list of artists that have recorded his work..Bangles (manic monday), Chaka Khan (i feel for you), Tom Jones (kiss), Sinead (nothing compares 2 u) or Mitch Ryder (when you were mine), or Kate bush.

Or 1999 which addressed nuclear proliferation.

Or Darling Nikki which spurred the whole PRMC.

Or the Musicology tour which grossed 87 million. Yep, 25 later and he still has the top grossing tour.

Or winning a webby for his innovative use of the internet. First artist to release and entire album on the net.

Or winning a grammy/golden globe for "Song of the heart" for Happy Feat the movie.

Or SOMEBODY WHO REALLY KNOWS MUSIC LIKE MILES DAVIS WHO proclaimed Prince to be "the most exciting artist of his time," and that "he could be another Duke Ellington."

b bulldog
02-04-2008, 05:36 PM
i'M A 34 YEAR OLD WHITE GUY FROM wi WHO LOVES pRINCE. he is an excellent musician who is also a very good song writer.

Noodle
02-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Chill Bigguns! Don't go crackin' on gramps like that. All dudes over 55 are entitled to make wild remarks about music. Just let 'em be.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Chill Bigguns! Don't go crackin' on gramps like that. All dudes over 55 are entitled to make wild remarks about music. Just let 'em be.

If they are over 55 then they should be smart enough not to say stupid shit like they are amazed that anyone but teenyboppers would like prince.

I go in reverse. I let things slide from children. Adults have to have some accountability.

Prince is certainly no Bobby Vinton. :roll:

The Shadow
02-04-2008, 08:52 PM

1. It just shows that you really know very little about music or the people's taste.

2. What is amazing in you having the balls to actually question people liking prince. "

1. Way wrong! After all, I write the songs that make the young girls cry.
2. Actually, that required little cahone effort. I question EVERYTHING : why the sky is blue, why fools fall in love, why Prince Albert is in a can, why that Kansas tornado didn't finish the job on Hillary when it dropped Dorothy's house, and lots more!

The Shadow
02-04-2008, 08:54 PM

If they are over 55 then they should be smart enough not to say stupid shit like they are amazed that anyone but teenyboppers would like prince.

I go in reverse. I let things slide from children. Adults have to have some accountability.

Ty : How good were your seats at the Hannah Montana concert? Did the body double thing bother you? How was her hair?

Harlan Huckleby
02-04-2008, 08:56 PM
i'M A 34 YEAR OLD WHITE GUY FROM wi WHO LOVES pRINCE. he is an excellent musician who is also a very good song writer.

my youngest brother is a 34 year old white guy from MN who loves Prince.

I remember my other brother used to say, "Jim's sweet on Prince." My youngest brother has a tight ass and a thin moustache.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-04-2008, 11:50 PM

Ty : How good were your seats at the Hannah Montana concert? Did the body double thing bother you? How was her hair?

ty couldn't afford Hannah montana tickets. Though she does make me feel tingly in my special place.

Iron Mike
02-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Iron Mike would like to see Clarence Carter do the SB halftime show.

Strokin' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGVnH39UzI8)

The Shadow
02-05-2008, 05:24 PM

ty couldn't afford Hannah montana tickets. Though she does make me feel tingly in my special place.

I like you, Ty (in a special manly way).
I was trying to get a rise out of you, and you responded with an admirable sense of humor.
Well done!