PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy bawls out WSJ's Jason Wilde for Al Harris story

motife
05-23-2006, 05:25 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

McCARTHY GOES WILDE

In too many cities, the local beat writers keep their noses in the hind quarters of the teams they cover. In Green Bay, new Packers coach Mike McCarthy could be forcing it.

An industry source tells us that McCarthy recently -- and loudly -- dressed down Jason Wilde of the Wisconsin State Journal, in the presence of other writers. Per the source, McCarthy wasn't happy with Wilde's story suggesting that cornerback Al Harris isn't happy with his contract.

The thinking is that McCarthy was trying to send a message to the other beat writers by chewing on Wilde. Here's hoping that it backfires, and that it makes the local media in and around Green Bay less likely to nuzzle crotch and more likely to kick ass when it comes to getting at the truth, and exposing it for the consumption of the football-following public.

MJZiggy
05-23-2006, 05:34 PM
I'd love to hear what he actually said. If he's dressing him down because of the inaccuracy of the story, more power to him. It's about time someone drew the line regarding reporting facts as opposed to the rabid innuendo we've been fed lately.

Noodle
05-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Interesting. Tough to get in a pissing match with the guys who have all the ink.

But M3 has a right to be pissed if reporters are filing stories that are poorly sourced and inaccurate. I don't want the beat reporters to be a bunch of Chris Havel's, but they owe it to everyone to be accurate and to report more than just the gossip of the day.

I don't know enough about Wilde's rep to make a judgment here. If he's had a history of printing crap, then pop his chops.

MadtownPacker
05-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Since the story turned out to be BS M3 has every right to rip into this punk ass reporter. It shows he has his players's backs IMO.

HarveyWallbangers
05-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Why do people quote profootballtalk.com like it's a credible news source. It isn't much more credible than tank.

Rastak
05-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Why do people quote profootballtalk.com like it's a credible news source. It isn't much more credible than tank.

Sorry Harvey but that's a crock. They've broken several stories. Hutch poison pill being one.
They aren't always right but they get their fair share right.

retailguy
05-23-2006, 08:13 PM

Sorry Harvey but that's a crock. They've broken several stories. Hutch poison pill being one.
They aren't always right but they get their fair share right.

I agree Rastak, they must have some sources in high places. Too much of the stuff turns out correct.

It used to be that most of the stuff was crazy rumor, but it isn't that way any longer. Now the BS stuff is typically said tongue-in-cheek, so that it is obvious they are just kidding.

If I had a dollar for each time I read something and it appeared on espn or SI a week or two later, I'd have enough money to hunt SOV down and egg his lawn...

And for the critics here, even if I had to give a dollar back when they got it wrong, I'd still be ahead. :wink:

son of a vic
05-23-2006, 08:59 PM
I'll do you the pleasure, Retail Guru, of giving my name, address, and cerael box number, so I can watch you zig-zag around in my backyard, trying to avoid the lead coming from my 12 gauge.
Why are you upset with me now? Are you a Brett Favre apologist too?

Scott Campbell
05-23-2006, 09:39 PM

Because enquiring minds want to know.

:razz:

HarveyWallbangers
05-23-2006, 10:35 PM
Sorry Harvey but that's a crock. They've broken several stories. Hutch poison pill being one. They aren't always right but they get their fair share right.

They don't break shit. It's like PackerChatters. They have a bunch of people listening to every bit of news, and they post it. Throw enough shit on the wall, and some of it is bound to stick.

Rule #1 - if a site has to brag about how much "news" they break, they likely are full of shit.

pbmax
05-23-2006, 10:52 PM
Since the story turned out to be BS M3 has every right to rip into this punk ass reporter. It shows he has his players's backs IMO.
Mad, the story didn't turn out to be BS. Wilde said he had a team source that Harris was unhappy with the contract and the team knew it. Harris also, apparently, since they didn't announce these things in advance, had permission from M3 to be absent. These two things are not mutually exclusive, sort of a non-denial denial. And Harris and his agent haven't said they wouldn't like an upgrade, only that they aren't going McKenzie or anything.

M3 can chew out people all he wants, personally I think it'll cause him more difficulty than it prevents. And McCarthy may be trying to halt distractions, but he doesn't have Harris' back, since Harris benefits from a change. But I wouldn't be surprised if this played out to be true.

Missing At Minicamp
Harris Wants New Deal

Wisconsin State Journal :: SPORTS :: D1
Saturday, May 20, 2006
JASON WILDE jwilde@madison.com 608-252-6176

Although he's more likely to take an approach similar to Donald Driver's relatively polite request rather than the trade-demanding Javon Walker or Mike McKenzie tack, the Green Bay Packers have another player who'd like to talk about his contract situation: Al Harris.
According to a team source, the veteran cornerback is skipping the three-day, five-practice minicamp -- which technically is voluntary -- because he would like the team to upgrade his contract.

Harris signed a $18.635 million extension in September 2004 -- smack-dab in the middle of McKenzie's ugly return to the team and shortly before his trade to New Orleans. The extension added five years onto Harris' existing deal and contained $7 million in bonuses, though not all of them were guaranteed.

With that deal, Harris is under contract through 2009 and is scheduled to earn a base salary of $1.5 million this season, $2.2 million in 2007, $2.85 million in 2008 and $3 million in 2009. But Harris' deal has since been surpassed by a number of corners in the league, including new teammate Charles Woodson.

When reached on his cell phone Friday night and asked why he wasn't attending the minicamp, Harris said, "Just family matters." Asked whether his absence had anything to do with his contract situation, Harris refused to comment. Harris' San Diego-based agent, Jack Bechta, did not return a message.
Asked about Harris' situation on Thursday, general manager Ted Thompson reiterated that the team doesn't discuss contract matters publicly and pointed out that the camp is indeed voluntary. Coach Mike McCarthy would only say that Harris wasn't in attendance because of a "personal" matter when asked about his absence after practice Friday.

Harris was one of six healthy veteran players who were not at Friday's practices: Quarterback Brett Favre, Woodson, fullback William Henderson, wide receiver Rod Gardner, defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila. Again, McCarthy wouldn't say why the others were missing.

Three rookies -- linebacker A.J. Hawk, offensive tackle Tony Moll and linebacker Kevin Schimmelmann -- were also absent for academic reasons.

Presumably, Harris was less than thrilled with the contract the Packers gave Woodson.

Woodson received a seven-year deal that included a $4 million signing bonus, a $4 million roster bonus and incentives that could pay him $950,000 more this year on top of his $1.25 million base salary, meaning he'll make anywhere from $9 million to $10 million this year.

At the mandatory post-draft minicamp, Harris gave no indication that he was unhappy with his contract or with Woodson, talking excitedly about the prospect of the two playing together.

Harris signed his extension before becoming the Packers' designated shut-down corner, matching up in most games with the opponent's top wide receiver. He hasn't missed a start since coming to Green Bay in March 2003 in a trade with Philadelphia and has intercepted eight passes, three of which have been returned for touchdowns. He had a team-best three interceptions last season and was a Pro Bowl alternate.

Unlike McKenzie, who skipped all offseason workouts in 2004 to force his trade to New Orleans, and Walker, who boycotted all the 2005 offseason practices and vowed to do so again this year before he was traded on draft day to Denver, Harris has never missed a minicamp.

Driver, the team's leading receiver, also had been unhappy with his contract before signing a four-year, $17 million extension last week. Although he let the team know of his dissatisfaction with his deal, Driver never threatened to hold out of training camp or asked to be traded, and Harris seems unlikely to make such demands.

Scott Campbell
05-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Sorry Harvey but that's a crock. They've broken several stories. Hutch poison pill being one. They aren't always right but they get their fair share right.

They don't break shit. It's like PackerChatters. They have a bunch of people listening to every bit of news, and they post it. Throw enough shit on the wall, and some of it is bound to stick.

Rule #1 - if a site has to brag about how much "news" they break, they likely are full of shit.

They call it the Rumor Mill, which is enough of disclaimer for me. It's an entertaining read.

retailguy
05-23-2006, 11:43 PM
I'll do you the pleasure, Retail Guru, of giving my name, address, and cerael box number, so I can watch you zig-zag around in my backyard, trying to avoid the lead coming from my 12 gauge.
Why are you upset with me now? Are you a Brett Favre apologist too?

I'm not mad at you Vic, I just never "met" anyone so cynical. I'm NOT a Favre apologist. His glory days are now in the rear view, I'm afraid.

I think I'd just enjoy egging your yard.... :wink:

Harlan Huckleby
05-24-2006, 12:10 AM
McCarthy's anger indicates there is some truth to Wilde's story.

If the story was completely false, McCarthy would just be dismissive, maybe condesending.

Wilde hit a nerve.

gbpackfan
05-24-2006, 12:27 AM
Have we even confirmed that this actually happened! Also, what did MM say to Wilde? You guys are jumping to conclusions with out all the facts!!!

GrnBay007
05-24-2006, 12:35 AM

If the story was completely false, McCarthy would just be dismissive, maybe condesending.

Wilde hit a nerve.

He's a new HC. The media is going to get to him more so than the ripe old coaches.

Patler
05-24-2006, 12:39 AM

Wilde hit a nerve.

Maybe you would be dismissive or condescending, but how can you possibly know how MM would react? I know people who would react very strongly to a completely false article that would put their organization in a bad light. MM might be one of those.

GrnBay007
05-24-2006, 12:47 AM
Shamrock, do you ever NOT think so logically and kinda let your emotions run wild? :wink: :razz:

Harlan Huckleby
05-24-2006, 12:51 AM
Of course anything is possible.

The coach doth protest too much, methinks.

Patler
05-24-2006, 12:56 AM
Shamrock, do you ever NOT think so logically and kinda let your emotions run wild? :wink: :razz:

What's an emotion? How fast can they run? Should they be kept on a leash?

:D

GrnBay007
05-24-2006, 12:58 AM

What's an emotion? How fast can they run? Should they be kept on a leash?

:D

You do the stats and get back to me, ok? :razz:

MadtownPacker
05-24-2006, 01:57 AM
Mad, the story didn't turn out to be BS. Wilde said he had a team source that Harris was unhappy with the contract and the team knew it. Harris also, apparently, since they didn't announce these things in advance, had permission from M3 to be absent. These two things are not mutually exclusive, sort of a non-denial denial. And Harris and his agent haven't said they wouldn't like an upgrade, only that they aren't going McKenzie or anything.

M3 can chew out people all he wants, personally I think it'll cause him more difficulty than it prevents. And McCarthy may be trying to halt distractions, but he doesn't have Harris' back, since Harris benefits from a change. But I wouldn't be surprised if this played out to be true.
But the story said that is why Harrisment wasnt at the minicamp, so it is BS. Him wanting more money is something that can be said of most NFL players. Hell I want more money, dont you guys? Harris wasnt trying to start a mini-hold out like the chumps tried to suggest. M3 just roughed him of a little for talkin like that about his dread-locked DB.

You should watch out or M3 might ruff you up too! :mrgreen:

Rastak
05-24-2006, 03:24 AM

THEY broke the HUtch poison pill.

PERIOD.

The Leaper
05-24-2006, 08:27 AM
I think Wilde has every right to do that story. However, I think he was a little premature to assume Harris won't take a similar route to McKenzie or Walker. If the guy has never missed a minicamp before, and Wilde is CONVINCED based on the "team source" (as he appears to be based on his story) that Harris missed this camp primarily to show his displeasure with his contract...then I don't see how you can assume he wouldn't take the next logical step, which would be a holdout, if Green Bay refuses to negotiate.

The story was poorly written IMO...if anything, Wilde should have been ripped by his editor, not M3.

Deputy Nutz
05-24-2006, 09:17 AM
I have never visited PFT.com and I never will, PackerRats is more informative than that crap.

Wilde addressed it on the World's Greatest Talk Show, he said he had just finished interviewing M3 and that they did not discuss anything about the dress down M3 gave him. Wilde seemed to have taken it well. Wilde pretty much has access to McCarthy and Thompson whenever he wants it, so he really doesn't want to burn that bridge, same goes for McCarthy.

Wilde was the National Sports Writer of the Year. He is pretty tough on the organization, and usually pulls no punches.

pbmax
05-24-2006, 10:15 AM
But the story said that is why Harrisment wasnt at the minicamp, so it is BS. Him wanting more money is something that can be said of most NFL players. Hell I want more money, dont you guys? Harris wasnt trying to start a mini-hold out like the chumps tried to suggest. M3 just roughed him of a little for talkin like that about his dread-locked DB.

You should watch out or M3 might ruff you up too! :mrgreen:
I consider myself duly warned, thanks Mad. You are right, if the money wasn't the reason he skipped minicamp then the story is very run of the mill.

However, if money wasn't the ONLY reason he skipped, that doesn't mean it wasn't one of the reasons. By having two excuses for skipping minicamp, Harris can say sure I'd love to discuss my future but I'm just home checking up on the grandparents and M3 can say the story is balogna. And both sides would know he wants some green love.

No matter, its all pretty mild right now. And I don't think Harris is going to want to miss playing on what could be a much improved defense this year.

Rastak
05-24-2006, 11:03 AM
I have never visited PFT.com and I never will, PackerRats is more informative than that crap.

Wilde addressed it on the World's Greatest Talk Show, he said he had just finished interviewing M3 and that they did not discuss anything about the dress down M3 gave him. Wilde seemed to have taken it well. Wilde pretty much has access to McCarthy and Thompson whenever he wants it, so he really doesn't want to burn that bridge, same goes for McCarthy.

Wilde was the National Sports Writer of the Year. He is pretty tough on the organization, and usually pulls no punches.

Actually it's a great site. Florio is pretty funny and he has a bunch of contacts. Being a lawyer, he tends to talk about agents and such a little too often. AND he does float lots of rumors so I never take his word for anything however the truth is I've been reading his stuff for over a year now and he's NAILED a bunch of stories before the mainstream media picked up on them. It worth reading and it's not the national enquirer....but it isn't the NE Journal of Medicine either.

mngolf19
05-24-2006, 11:56 AM

I do 007. :twisted:

Harlan Huckleby
05-24-2006, 04:04 PM
sounds like a love connection

GrnBay007
05-24-2006, 04:10 PM

I do 007. :twisted:

I said emotions......not hormones! :razz: :wink:

Harlan Huckleby
05-24-2006, 04:11 PM
this is no time to be frigid, 007. That biological clock is ticking, you need a couple more kids.

GrnBay007
05-24-2006, 04:22 PM
That biological clock is ticking, you need a couple more kids.

:shock:

what are you smokin these days blue baby??

Harlan Huckleby
05-24-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm just thinking of your happiness. And the need for so many deserving men to get laid. What brings you greater joy than your son? If one's good, why not 6 or 7? Soon he'll be in highschool, you'll hardly see him. No need to end the happy patter of little feet in your home.

MJZiggy
05-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Please see the thread in the Romper Room on overpopulation.