02-04-2008, 10:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjXyqcx-mYY&3

Very well done little campaign ad.

SkinBasket
02-04-2008, 11:12 AM
You're almost as racist as Harlan.

SkinBasket
02-04-2008, 11:16 AM
It's like fascist propaganda with smiling celebrities instead of saluting military leaders. I like it.

Zool
02-04-2008, 12:21 PM
I thought it was a smart ploy for votes from the Obama camp. Hell I might vote for him if Scarlett says I should.

Harlan Huckleby
02-04-2008, 12:27 PM
The change coming is that a democratic administration is replacing the republicans. That's it, just like every other time that the parties have swapped control. Obama is going to be the next president because he looks and sounds fresh, unlike far more qualified and capable people like Joe Biden or Hillary Clinton.

"Hope" and "unity" and "justice" are empty advertising words like "minty fresh" and "super charged with flavor."

Unity is in direct conflict with change. To the extent that Obama actually tries to change anything, there will be a partisian backlash.

Its good that a woman or black is elected president, but not very important. Plenty of countries have elected female leaders, like say India, and it hasn't changed their societies much. I like that a non-white male is going to be president, but it should not be a priority.

Obama rarely mentions specifics because he has no specifics. He is going to do nothing at all about special interest control of government, even though he implies he will shake things up. He says that no lobbyists will be hired in his government, but this is a gimmick. Former lobbyists being hired into the executive branch is a negligible part of the problem.

Here's what specifically w;; change:
1) The Dems will push to expand health care. It will be an uphill battle, I hope they succeed.
2) Obama will try and get troops out of Iraq without the region imploding. His hands are going to be tied a lot more than people think, there will still be significant troops there after his first term. This is better than McCain's 100 year war.
3) Our relations with other countries are going to improve. Obama will be a very good spokesman for our nation.

Oprah said that she is angry that people say that she is just supporting Obama because he is black. Well, true enough, I don't doubt she thinks he is special. But how about a reality check: Obama is getting 85% support among African Americans. Oprah didn't campaign for other democrats. There's racial solidarity, better to just face it.

Deputy Nutz
02-04-2008, 12:54 PM
When it is black and white, you can't even tell he is african.

LL2
02-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Just my two cents...if Obama is the democratic nominee I think he will win over the republican choice. If it's Hilary, I do not think she will win. I do not think she will get enough support to win. I would think the republicans would want Clinton to be on the democratic ticket, which gives them the best chance to winin the fall.

hoosier
02-04-2008, 02:01 PM
The change coming is that a democratic administration is replacing the republicans. That's it, just like every other time that the parties have swapped control. Obama is going to be the next president because he looks and sounds fresh, unlike far more qualified and capable people like Joe Biden or Hillary Clinton.

"Hope" and "unity" and "justice" are empty advertising words like "minty fresh" and "super charged with flavor."

Unity is in direct conflict with change. To the extent that Obama actually tries to change anything, there will be a partisian backlash.

Its good that a woman or black is elected president, but not very important. Plenty of countries have elected female leaders, like say India, and it hasn't changed their societies much. I like that a non-white male is going to be president, but it should not be a priority.

Obama rarely mentions specifics because he has no specifics. He is going to do nothing at all about special interest control of government, even though he implies he will shake things up. He says that no lobbyists will be hired in his government, but this is a gimmick. Former lobbyists being hired into the executive branch is a negligible part of the problem.

Here's what specifically w;; change:
1) The Dems will push to expand health care. It will be an uphill battle, I hope they succeed.
2) Obama will try and get troops out of Iraq without the region imploding. His hands are going to be tied a lot more than people think, there will still be significant troops there after his first term. This is better than McCain's 100 year war.
3) Our relations with other countries are going to improve. Obama will be a very good spokesman for our nation.

Oprah said that she is angry that people say that she is just supporting Obama because he is black. Well, true enough, I don't doubt she thinks he is special. But how about a reality check: Obama is getting 85% support among African Americans. Oprah didn't campaign for other democrats. There's racial solidarity, better to just face it.

All of this may be true. I agree that there are few or no real differences in the policy positions of Hillary and Obama. The problem is, you totally discount anything that doesn't show up as experience and position, and therefore you reduce politics to a theory of politics, or to knowledge. But what about charisma or whatever name you want to give to those qualities that make people want to do something, make people want change or at least make them accept it? I certainly don't want to say that politics is just charisma, or that charisma always leads to good politics, but I don't think you can leave charisma or whatever you call it out of the picture. Or if you do leave it out of the picture, you end up nominating John Kerry and you lose the general election to W.

Harlan Huckleby
02-04-2008, 02:50 PM
The problem is, you totally discount anything that doesn't show up as experience and position, and therefore you reduce politics to a theory of politics, or to knowledge.

I would use words judgement and politcal skills. Biden knows WHAT to do in foreign policy. From watching Obama on Foreign Affairs Committe, he is really a lightweight. And Obama has made some foolish statements about Iraq. I don't think much of Obama as a Senator, he's very green and a bit arrogant.

I haven't discounted charisma. I'm skeptical he is going to unify our country, but I think his charisma will serve him well in repairing relations overseas.

Or if you do leave it out of the picture, you end up nominating John Kerry and you lose the general election to W.

BTW, Kerry was 15 points ahead of Bush in the polls this time of year in 2004. So I wouldn't make much of polls about the November elections.

My opinion is that Clinton is just as electable as Obama. I think either will win in the fall because of the unpopularity of the Republican Party.

I expect Obama will be front runner after tomorrow. He is going to win California, and that will be huge psychological victory.

hoosier
02-04-2008, 03:13 PM
I expect Obama will be front runner after tomorrow. He is going to win California, and that will be huge psychological victory.

Is that a gut feeling or have you seen something recent that suggests he's pulling ahead? All I've seen is a bunch of conflicting polls from late January and early February, none of which gives either one more than a 6% lead.

hoosier
02-04-2008, 03:16 PM
BTW, Kerry was 15 points ahead of Bush in the polls this time of year in 2004. So I wouldn't make much of polls about the November elections.

But it didn't take a Nostradamus to foresee that that wasn't going to hold up.

Harlan Huckleby
02-04-2008, 08:31 PM

Is that a gut feeling or have you seen something recent that suggests he's pulling ahead? All I've seen is a bunch of conflicting polls from late January and early February, none of which gives either one more than a 6% lead.

Check out the graph on this page:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/ca/california_democratic_primary-259.html

They factor-in all the polling data they can get their hands on, and weight things in a way that seems to produce a very reliable predictor of trends.

I have a strong gut feeling that Obama will win nomination. Hope I'm wrong because I think so highly of Clinton, but I will adjust to him just fine. He's gonna have some growing pains.

Harlan Huckleby
02-05-2008, 01:17 AM
Shit, the latest Zogby poll has Obama stretching out to a 13 point lead in California.

Looks grim, but I'm not making my concession speech until I hear how Madtown is voting. Lunatic Mexicans are a large, unknown group of swing voters in California, they usually answer telephone polsters with "vote? I vote I kill you!" They hate negros and stare at blond white women, Hillary could get a bump.

LL2
02-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Today is the day! Can one vote in the primaries if they are a registered voter? We always vote in the elections that count in the fall. I always thought to vote in the primaries you have to register separately for that. Is that true. If anyone know how the process works I'm intersted to know.

the_idle_threat
02-05-2008, 09:06 AM
This is a great, moving ad. It plays directly to Obama's strength---style---while conveniently leaving out his weakness---a complete lack of substance.

Very moving, and could very well swing some young and stupid voters out of places like the Ron Paul camp and into Obama's camp.

I wonder if ol' Harry Belafonte and some friends made a vid like this for his buddy Hugo Chavez. Chavez probably wishes he had before the most recent big election down there.

MadScientist
02-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Today is the day! Can one vote in the primaries if they are a registered voter? We always vote in the elections that count in the fall. I always thought to vote in the primaries you have to register separately for that. Is that true. If anyone know how the process works I'm intersted to know.
There is no separate registration, however there are a few differences in primaries from the general:
1) You must actually be in the state having the primary :D (Wisconsin's is on the 19th)
2) Some states have what is called a closed primaries, meaning you can only vote for candidates in the party you are registered for. If you are an independent you can only vote for non-partisan races. In open primaries you can vote for party candidates, but there may be some other rules, like in Wisconsin you can only vote for candidates in one party, but you don't have to be registered for that party.
3) If you live in a caucus state, you half to show up at a certain time and stay there for an hour or so. The specifics will differ from state to state, but expect them to be about as complicated as the tax code crossed with statistical thermodynamics.

BallHawk
02-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Obama will either win close in California or he will lose to Hillary. Once again, these polls are probably going to be off. No way he goes from 10 points down to 13 points up in a matter of weeks. There's no way I see him winning by more than 6 or 7.

But, if Obama wins big in Cali, it's going to be a long night for the Clinton campaign.

MadScientist
02-05-2008, 11:52 AM

Come on HH. This is what Obama has proposed for ethics reform. How much more specific do you want.

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/ethics/

The basic idea is to make everything as open as possible so the corrupt won't have the cover of secrecy they need to act, but read the details for yourself.

Harlan Huckleby
02-05-2008, 12:06 PM

The basic idea is to make everything as open as possible so the corrupt won't have the cover of secrecy they need to act, but read the details for yourself.

I don't think what he is talking about there is terribly important. Lobbyists are not a bad thing - in fact they are democracy in action! Businesses SHOULD have access to politicians to express their point of view. People organize themselves into trade groups and associations precisely so they can have a voice - excellent! This is civics. We don't want to have an isolated government that makes decisions from on high.

I really don't think secrecy is a big issue. If Cheney wants to meet privately with members of the oil industry to get their take on a proposed regulation, I am cool with that. Perhaps Obama has some good ideas, maybe I could be persuaded somewhat on this point.

The giant problem is money. We have businesses and associations owning politicians. that's the 600 pound gorrilla.

MadScientist
02-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Perhaps Obama has some good ideas, maybe I could be persuaded somewhat on this point.

The giant problem is money. We have businesses and associations owning politicians. that's the 600 pound gorrilla.
I agree 100% on the money issue.

Support Campaign Finance Reform: Obama supports public financing of campaigns combined with free television and radio time as a way to reduce the influence of moneyed special interests. Obama introduced public financing legislation in the Illinois State Senate, and is the only 2008 candidate to have sponsored Senator Russ Feingold's (D-WI) tough bill to reform the presidential public financing system.

Create a Public “Contracts and Influence” Database: As president, Obama will create a "contracts and influence" database that will disclose how much federal contractors spend on lobbying, and what contracts they are getting and how well they complete them.

Shine Light on Earmarks and Pork Barrel Spending: Obama's Transparency and Integrity in Earmarks Act will shed light on all earmarks by disclosing the name of the legislator who asked for each earmark, along with a written justification, 72 hours before they can be approved by the full Senate.

Freak Out
02-05-2008, 12:25 PM

I don't think what he is talking about there is terribly important. Lobbyists are not a bad thing - in fact they are democracy in action! Businesses SHOULD have access to politicians to express their point of view. People organize themselves into trade groups and associations precisely so they can have a voice - excellent! This is civics. We don't want to have an isolated government that makes decisions from on high.

I really don't think secrecy is a big issue. If Cheney wants to meet privately with members of the oil industry to get their take on a proposed regulation, I am cool with that. Perhaps Obama has some good ideas, maybe I could be persuaded somewhat on this point.

Bullshit, we demand and are due a transparent Government. Our elected officials work for us..all of us....not just some of us. There is a way to comment on proposed regulation and it's not through the fucking VP's office. They weren't "talking about proposed regulation" in that fucking crooks office. If Congress was doing the job we put them in office to do he would be behind bars right now.

Badgepack
02-05-2008, 12:27 PM
I don't mean to sound like a sick bastard here, but I think if Obama wins the nomination he will end up getting shot.

Harlan Huckleby
02-05-2008, 12:29 PM
They weren't "talking about proposed regulation" in that fucking crooks office.

I don't know what happened in this case. But in general I don't have a problem with lobbyists talking to politicians off the record. Lobbyists are not boogey men.

Zool
02-05-2008, 12:31 PM
I don't mean to sound like a sick bastard here, but I think if Obama wins the nomination he will end up getting shot.

You're not the only one thinking this. There's too many people that dislike him just because he's black. If that happens, its going to make the Rodney King incident look like a j-walking.

Harlan Huckleby
02-05-2008, 12:31 PM

that is a damn good point. I think this campaign season is particularly dangerous.

honestly, I think a bullet is the only thing that will stop him from becoming president.

Harlan Huckleby
02-05-2008, 12:32 PM
You're not the only one thinking this. There's too many people that dislike him just because he's black.

I dislike him because he is half white.

Zool
02-05-2008, 12:35 PM
You're not the only one thinking this. There's too many people that dislike him just because he's black.

semi-racist!

Joemailman
02-05-2008, 01:14 PM

that is a damn good point. I think this campaign season is particularly dangerous.

honestly, I think a bullet is the only thing that will stop him from becoming president.

I don't see it this way. Obama is not a polarizing figure who increases racial tensions like a Sharpton sometimes does. I suppose it only takes one nutcase with a gun, but as a country we've come a long way in terms of race relations since we've had a political assassination.

oregonpackfan
02-05-2008, 01:36 PM

Unfortunately, I think your concern has some validity. There are still plenty of rascists out there who would consider it their "moral duty" to shoot Barama.

In addition, there are plenty of sick individuals out there who would shoot him just because he is a presidential candidate and/or President. Take for example these pathological individuals.

Squeaky Fromme and Sara Jane Moore--who tried to shoot Jerry Ford.

Arthur Bremer who shot George Wallace

The guy who shot Ronald Reagan

Lee Harvey Oswald who shot John F. Kennedy(the controversy ensues that he acted alone)

John Wilkes Boothe shooting Abraham Lincoln.

With the availability of guns and sick individuals in this country, the candidates and/or Presidents have to be vigilant.

MadScientist
02-05-2008, 01:44 PM

You're not the only one thinking this. There's too many people that dislike him just because he's black. If that happens, its going to make the Rodney King incident look like a j-walking.
If W is still alive, Obama will be fine. He's had secret service protection for some time now. The security last October for his Madison rally/fund raiser was quite evident. I'm confident he will be safe.

hoosier
02-05-2008, 01:56 PM

semi-racist!

Actually it's probably the height of racism. What racists (of all colors) despise most is mixture. Racism is about maintaining the fiction of purity. Harlan Huckleby=George Lincoln Rockwell :shock:

Harlan Huckleby
02-05-2008, 07:20 PM
My Grandmother lived to be 99, and voted straight Democratic in every election her whole life. In 1992, at the age of 94, she voted for Ross Perot over Bill Clinton because she sensed he was shady. :oops:

I think her antenna were tuned into something real. Yet I admire what Bill accomplished, he governed successfully, made smart decisions and had a good heart. And his corruption as a politician was relatively petty.

Harlan Huckleby
02-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Support Campaign Finance Reform: Obama supports public financing of campaigns combined with free television and radio time as a way to reduce the influence of moneyed special interests. Obama introduced public financing legislation in the Illinois State Senate, and is the only 2008 candidate to have sponsored Senator Russ Feingold's (D-WI) tough bill to reform the presidential public financing system.

Is that the McCain-FeinGold Bill? I think McCain ought to get some points too. :) Actually, McCain is The Man when it comes to this issue, he has paid a SERIOUS political price for his efforts. The fact that Obama was a sponsor for that bill is rather a fine point, you tricky devil.

I'll give Obama his props on this issue. Of course if you check the web site of any Democratic Candidate, they are for Campaign Finance Reform. I mentioned the lobbying because this it is the issue that Obama is hawking on the stump. My point is that it sounds impressive, but is rather inconsequentional on closer inspection. Much like Obama. :lol: Only kidding, that was too tempting.

Hillary was on Letterman and was asked about Campaign Finance, and she gave a typically wise response: A satisfying solution is not available right now because of recent Supreme Court decisions. It will take some creative efforts to contain the problem.

Damn, don't you just love that women!? So smart.

MadScientist
02-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Hillary was on Letterman and was asked about Campaign Finance, and she gave a typically wise response: A satisfying solution is not available right now because of recent Supreme Court decisions. It will take some creative efforts to contain the problem.

B.S. They could easily go to a public financing model similar to what some states have (AZ or NM, I forget which, and possibly others). Where if you accept public financing and the other guy raises a ton of money, your public financing increases to match (at about 70% level to account for the amount spend raising the money). Plus you get to claim that you money is clean and you don't owe anyone.

The 527's would still be an issue, but there are possible solutions there as well - put in individual spending limits, or simply tax them to death.

HC is smart in the political weasel kind of way - spin everything, do nothing.

Harlan Huckleby
02-07-2008, 12:16 PM

B.S. They could easily go to a public financing model similar to what some states have (AZ or NM, I forget which, and possibly others). Where if you accept public financing and the other guy raises a ton of money, your public financing increases to match (at about 70% level to account for the amount spend raising the money). Plus you get to claim that you money is clean and you don't owe anyone.

Sounds like an interesting idea. I can't comment on the "easy" part, I suspect there may be barriers to doing this on the federal level, or it would be widely promoted - this is the first I heard of the idea. I will look into it a little.

(It might be a little odd to see Mike Gravel & Tommy Thompson getting to spend the same $100M as Obama on advertising. Why would anybody ever drop out of the primary? Or is your idea just for the general election? The general election is not such a problem.)

Its wonderful to see the Obama Tribe are ushering out the old politics - name calling and demonizing - and ringing in a New Age of civility & unity. :lol: :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
02-08-2008, 10:19 AM
MadScientist, the Obama Machine has amassed a war chest that dwarfs Clinton's. They may have $50M more to spend now, and the gap is widening.

Been thinking about your man's passion for finance reform, and your idea of leveling the money field. What would you think about Obama donating $25M to Clinton? Seems like the right thing to do.

The Leaper
02-08-2008, 11:24 AM

I agree. She's a career politician...and there isn't a one of them that I admire.