PDA

View Full Version : Should The League Fine BB For Leaving Early

Scott Campbell
02-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Bill's early departure last night had the potential to cause problems. I think the league can't afford to condone behavior like that because it's potentially disruptive and chaotic. Apparently the official said the last play had to be run before the game could end.

denverYooper
02-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Fine 'em. Hell, I hope Bellicheat gets fired for being such a classless POS.

They played the Evil role to a T, right down to the last second.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-04-2008, 12:41 PM
But, that short sleeved sweatshirt was awesome. How can you get mad at a stylin guy like Bellicheat. :roll:

Harlan Huckleby
02-04-2008, 12:41 PM
I think his offense was equivalent to farting in a fancy restaurant. Trying to read a big character flaw into this is ridiculous. People are talking about it because they don't like the guy.

I like that Bellichek doesn't care what people think.

Cheesehead Craig
02-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Silly. If a player can leave early, why can't a coach?

MacCool606
02-04-2008, 12:51 PM
He ran across the field and congratulated Caughlin. Then he ran off the field. At that point they should have considered the game conceded. There was no point in clearing the field so Eli could snap the ball to kneel. (Unless that would have given Fox time for another commercial.)

I agree that Belicheck is an Ass, but in this case people are looking for things to hate him for. He got off the field quickly so the Giants could have the stage - they earned it.

Scott Campbell
02-04-2008, 12:55 PM
He ran across the field and congratulated Caughlin. Then he ran off the field. At that point they should have considered the game conceded. There was no point in clearing the field so Eli could snap the ball to kneel. (Unless that would have given Fox time for another commercial.)

I agree that Belicheck is an Ass, but in this case people are looking for things to hate him for. He got off the field quickly so the Giants could have the stage - they earned it.

I don't hate him for it. I just don't think you can allow it to keep happening. The officials weren't going to allow the game to end until they snapped the ball one more time, and his actions disrupted the game. I think they should fine him primarily to keep other coaches from doing the same thing.

SkinBasket
02-04-2008, 12:55 PM

My thoughts exactly.

SkinBasket
02-04-2008, 12:57 PM
his actions disrupted the game.

Come on. He wasn't the only guy on the field with 1 second left and I'm sure the team doesn't need the head coach to find 11 guys to line up on D for a kneel down.

twoseven
02-04-2008, 01:11 PM
I can't stand BB, but these sometimes idiots that run the game clock could use a kick in the ass too. Plenty of times at the end of a game they keep running the clock and squeeze those last seconds out when they shouldn't beause everyone seems to have conceded the game at that point.

Just watched the ending again. 4th down, Brady's incomplete pass falls with 2 seconds left, clock stops, Coughlin gets a gatorade bath and NYG players start on to the field, the clock is then run to zero, the coaches run to midfield to shake hands, players from both teams start onto the field, then one second is put back onto the clock (?), coaches are already shaking hands and bellichek heads for the lockerroom as the field fills, then the refs start telling people to get back for the one second. BB may be an asshole, but if you want to get pissy about who had their head up their ass, fine the guy that runs the clock.

packinpatland
02-04-2008, 01:20 PM
"I agree that Belicheck is an Ass, but in this case people are looking for things to hate him for. He got off the field quickly so the Giants could have the stage - they earned it."

Yes, that's exactly what Belicheck was thinking.............please :roll:

packinpatland
02-04-2008, 01:22 PM
"I think his offense was equivalent to farting in a fancy restaurant"

HH..........you invite him over for dinner then. :roll:

KYPack
02-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Fine him.

Not because of any rules, just because it would really piss him off.

They guy is a great coach, but an insufferable asshole to boot.

woodbuck27
02-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Bill's early departure last night had the potential to cause problems. I think the league can't afford to condone behavior like that because it's potentially disruptive and chaotic. Apparently the official said the last play had to be run before the game could end.

Anal! Anal!! Anal!!! :D

Deputy Nutz
02-04-2008, 02:28 PM

God I might agree with you on that one.

packinpatland
02-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Had the ball been the Pats, think BB would have still left with 1 sec on the clock? Mr. Play by the Rules should play by the rules.

BF4MVP
02-04-2008, 03:16 PM
I don't care, I'm just glad they lost.

MJZiggy
02-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Fine him.

Not because of any rules, just because it would really piss him off.

They guy is a great coach, but an insufferable asshole to boot.

I agree. Besides, if it comes to light that there is still game to be played, shouldn't the coach have been one of the ones helping to restore order so they could have got the thing over with?

FritzDontBlitz
02-04-2008, 03:18 PM

I didn't have a problem with it. They ran all the time off the clock, then put 1 second back on. For what? Besides, if the opposing coach concedes like Bellicheck did, isn't the game over anyway? I thought it was pretty damn anal to demand they take a pointless kneeldown to finish a game everyone knew had already been decided. It looked stupid to me. Now, if the Pats would have walked off the field and refused to run off the final second it would have been different, but what is Bellicheck supposed to do? Go back to the sideline, let them run run off the final second and then stage the whole congratulatory handshake all over again?

packinpatland
02-04-2008, 03:29 PM

I didn't have a problem with it. They ran all the time off the clock, then put 1 second back on. For what? Besides, if the opposing coach concedes like Bellicheck did, isn't the game over anyway? I thought it was pretty damn anal to demand they take a pointless kneeldown to finish a game everyone knew had already been decided. It looked stupid to me. Now, if the Pats would have walked off the field and refused to run off the final second it would have been different, but what is Bellicheck supposed to do? Go back to the sideline, let them run run off the final second and then stage the whole congratulatory handshake all over again?

Hmmmmm.....hadn't thought of that word.. 'concedes'. You'd think that a guy who appeared to relish pounding the heck out of other teams this season, going for it on 4th downs when he's ahead by multiple td's.......you wouldn't think the word 'concede' would be in his 'repetoire'.

And as for the handshake.....he was probably throwing up in his mouth the first time, he couldn't possibly have handled it twice. :wink:

swede
02-04-2008, 03:37 PM
... but if you want to get pissy about who had their head up their ass, fine the guy that runs the clock.

Games were being played with that clock all through the last part of the game.

After the kickoff when the Giants had taken the lead the clock rolled down to 28 seconds, and then suddenly it was back up to 29.

After the first play, when the ball was heaved 60 yards down the field, exactly four seconds were ticked off the clock. Gimme a break.

As much as I despise and loathe the Patriots and Bellicheck, however, it was the Giants and the media that started the rush to the field.

I was disappointed Bill didn't flatten a camera guy on his way to grumble a "good game," to Coughlin, though. I thought that was getting as automatic as Zsa Zsa Gabor slapping a traffic cop. That certainly would have added to the perfection of the evening.

Patler
02-04-2008, 03:47 PM
After the kickoff when the Giants had taken the lead the clock rolled down to 28 seconds, and then suddenly it was back up to 29.

After the first play, when the ball was heaved 60 yards down the field, exactly four seconds were ticked off the clock. Gimme a break.

That one made me chuckle. No way that play could have been run in under 5 seconds.

twoseven
02-04-2008, 03:47 PM
... but if you want to get pissy about who had their head up their ass, fine the guy that runs the clock.

Games were being played with that clock all through the last part of the game.

As much as I despise and loathe the Patriots and Bellicheck, the Giants and the media started the rush to the field.

I was disappointed Bill didn't flatten a camera guy. That would have added to the perfection of the evening.
Couldn't agree more. Several times it was screwy, the circus act at the end of the game was just the capper on the crapper.

woodbuck27
02-04-2008, 03:54 PM

Hmmmmm.....hadn't thought of that word.. 'concedes'. You'd think that a guy who appeared to relish pounding the heck out of other teams this season, going for it on 4th downs when he's ahead by multiple td's.......you wouldn't think the word 'concede' would be in his 'repetoire'.

And as for the handshake.....he was probably throwing up in his mouth the first time, he couldn't possibly have handled it twice. :wink:

Really! :D

Life's often hard.

Harlan Huckleby
02-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Couldn't agree more. Several times it was screwy, the circus act at the end of the game was just the capper on the crapper.

I swear there were a couple plays where zero seconds came off clock. And I saw one play that was a run where they stopped the clock.

I think answer must be that the clock they were showing on the screen didn't count for shit. They must have been keeping the real time down on the field the whole game.

packinpatland
02-04-2008, 09:11 PM
I kinda doubt that they were trying to pull a fast one on 95+ million viewers.

I agree HH, different clocks.

MadtownPacker
02-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Why fine him? He is going to retire anyways.

oregonpackfan
02-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Much ado about nothing, IMO.

vince
02-05-2008, 05:55 AM
IMO, leaving the field early was completely immaterial after he shook the hand of Coughlin, but the way Bellicheck completely disrespected and ignored the referee, undermining his authority as the game controller is a disgrace to the game. I agree with PIP. Bill Bellicheck has no respect or regard for anyone but himself. I used to admire him. Now he's demonstrated in numerous ways how pathetic he is as a human being.