PDA

View Full Version : Was this a big upset?

Harlan Huckleby
02-04-2008, 12:38 PM
I don't really think so. The earlier 34-31 Pats-Giants game was no fluke.

I would call this game a mild upset. The Giants have been underrated because they don't have flashy offensive players.

packers11
02-04-2008, 12:40 PM
HUGGEEE UPSET down here in NE...

Everyone I talked to said the Giants had no chance and the pats were going to beat them by double digits...

DO I LOVE walking around today; talking to those same fans that gave the giants no chance!!!

Charles Woodson
02-04-2008, 01:09 PM
I don't really think so. The earlier 34-31 Pats-Giants game was no fluke.

I would call this game a mild upset. The Giants have been underrated because they don't have flashy offensive players.

For a number 5 team to run through the playoffs and win the superbowl against the undeafeated patriots is pretty damn impressive, thats a big upset.

LL2
02-04-2008, 01:16 PM
I think it's a huge upset. The game was an awesome game. One of the best SB in a long time.

Scott Campbell
02-04-2008, 01:28 PM
When any team comes in at 18-0 to a Superbowl and gets knocked off by a wildcard team I think you have to call it a major upset.

Charles Woodson
02-04-2008, 01:32 PM
I think it's a huge upset. The game was an awesome game. One of the best SB in a long time.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

i like your avatar

fan4life
02-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Only to those who hadn't paid attention to the way the Giants had beaten TB, DAL and then GB on their way to the big game. That happens when you focus more on placing blame and finding reasons why you think one team "lost" a game, rather than recognizing and admitting the strengths of the winner.

Harlan Huckleby
02-04-2008, 01:48 PM
I wasn't that surprised that game went as it did. I thought the most likely scenario was that the Pats would win convincingly. But I also thought the Giants had decent chance to force the Pats into a slugfest.

There. I predicted both a Pats and Giants win!

twoseven
02-04-2008, 02:10 PM
If anyone actually thought the Giants would win 17 to 14 over 18-0 NE I'd say you were insane. Assuming a NYG upset, the Giants were going to win 38-35 or something like that, if at all. NOBODY could have predicted 17-14 OR the gigantic ass whipping the Giants DL put on Brady and his line all night. Congrats to Coughlin and Co., but many aspects of this game were nowhere near what was expected, huge upset on many levels.

Zool
02-04-2008, 02:39 PM
If anyone actually thought the Giants would win 17 to 14 over 18-0 NE I'd say you were insane. Assuming a NYG upset, the Giants were going to win 38-35 or something like that, if at all. NOBODY could have predicted 17-14 OR the gigantic ass whipping the Giants DL put on Brady and his line all night. Congrats to Coughlin and Co., but many aspects of this game were nowhere near what was expected, huge upset on many levels.

Well Plexiglass thought it would be.

twoseven
02-04-2008, 02:47 PM

Well Plexiglass thought it would be.
He said 23-17 and, yes, I thought he was nuts. What was the over in Vegas, 55-65 points?

FavreChild
02-04-2008, 02:53 PM
For a number 5 team to run through the playoffs and win the superbowl against the undeafeated patriots is pretty damn impressive, thats a big upset.

But the Giants were not really the 5th best team. They were clearly better than the NFC West and South winners. Even though the Giants were a Wild Card team, their status as a playoff team was never really in doubt.

Also, by that criteria, the Steelers (a #6 seed) would have to be viewed as the greatest SB upset possible.

I do not view this as a big upset.

Scott Campbell
02-04-2008, 02:55 PM
The Steelers didn't have to beat an undefeated team.

Carolina_Packer
02-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Considering where the Giants came from as a #5 seed, playing 3 games to get there, and facing the 18-0 Patriots as a 14 point dog, I'd say this is right up there with the Jets upset of the Colts in SB III. People may have been betting the Giants against the spread, but not likely if it was a straight, head to head pick. Again, with their playoff run and shutting down the Packers O after their superb win against Seattle, I think we all saw what they were capable of, but still you saw what the Patriots did and how they morphed into whatever they had to become in order to win and thought, yeah, but their still gonna win. The Giants dictated much the same way they did against their other playoff opponents, and that dry, fast field was just what the front 4 wanted and needed to execute their game plan on defense. You gotta be impressed.

BF4MVP
02-04-2008, 03:12 PM
I called the upset..The Patriots blew out everyone they played the first half of the season, but other than the Steelers game every game in the second half of the season was close..Plus the Giants had built a lot of confidence from the three-point game in week 17 and then winning three road games..I'm surprised that it actually happened, but not shocked in the least. I knew the Pats were beatable after the Philly and Baltimore games, but I still questioned whether or not anyone would actually beat them.

DannoMac21
02-04-2008, 03:18 PM
It goes down as one of the biggest upsets in not only NFL history, but sports history.

Who cares if they had close games, they still managed to pull them out, and that's what not good, but great teams do. Fact is, they were 18-0, having one of the greatest, if not the greatest season all time. No matter what people say about it, the Patriots still had a ridiculous regular season. And coming from a 5th seeded NFC team with a Quarterback that's scrutinized more than Dick Cheney's gunshot, yeah, it's a great upset.

FavreChild
02-04-2008, 03:19 PM
The Steelers didn't have to beat an undefeated team.

The Steelers did have to beat the #1 seeded Colts - the clear Super Bowl favorite. It just happened before the Super Bowl, or else that game would have been considered a greater feat than it is. It's really not a lot different. I'm just saying that it's overly dramatic to portray the G-men as a lowly five seed with no chance to advance to the Super Bowl. They were much better than a typical 5 seed, and we knew it. Many Packer fans did not want to play them in the divisional round, me included.

What the Giants did was impressive, and it certainly qualifies as a big upset. Not a huge one. Definitely not the greatest of all time.

RashanGary
02-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Hindsight, we'll all sit here and say it wasn't a big upset and we all saw it coming. That's how these things go.

b bulldog
02-04-2008, 05:04 PM
I didn't and this was a huge upset. This game clearly shows that the team that gets hot at the right time is the team to be reckoned with. The Pats were at their best in midseason, I doubt the Giants were the only team that could have beaten them yesterday.

Harlan Huckleby
02-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Hindsight, we'll all sit here and say it wasn't a big upset and we all saw it coming. That's how these things go.

Sure, there is a hindsight factor.

But a "big upset" typically involves one team playing over their heads, and another team stinking it up. Or the underdog getting a lot of breaks. That's not what happened yesterday, the Giants physically beat them.

The Giants proved they can play with the Pats TWICE, and they beat good teams on way to Super Bowl. It was a big upset only in the sense that most people were wrong about the Giants.

If Michigan has a rematch with Appalachian State, its gonna be a slaughter because Michigan is just way better. Now that was an upset. If Pats and Giants laced it up again next weekend, hard to say who would win.

b bulldog
02-04-2008, 08:51 PM
UM better, i wouldn't go that far :oops:

MadtownPacker
02-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Hell yes this was a big upset!

How the hell is it not? Biggest ever no but one of the biggest.

Might as well already start the discussion of where it ranks as one of the biggest choke jobs.

the_idle_threat
02-05-2008, 10:02 AM
SIX Martys!

Harlan Huckleby
02-05-2008, 12:11 PM
SIX Martys!

are you speaking in tongues?

Tyrone Bigguns
02-05-2008, 12:20 PM
[quote=JustinHarrell]

If Michigan has a rematch with Appalachian State, its gonna be a slaughter because Michigan is just way better. Now that was an upset. If Pats and Giants laced it up again next weekend, hard to say who would win.

Just thinking about UM losing to App state makes me smile.

Hail to the victors my ass!!!

Zool
02-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Hail to the victors my ass!!!

What did your ass win?

vince
02-05-2008, 06:13 PM

Sure, there is a hindsight factor.

But a "big upset" typically involves one team playing over their heads, and another team stinking it up. Or the underdog getting a lot of breaks. That's not what happened yesterday, the Giants physically beat them.

The Giants proved they can play with the Pats TWICE, and they beat good teams on way to Super Bowl. It was a big upset only in the sense that most people were wrong about the Giants.

Nice post HH. I think you've hit the nail on the head here. You sure are a cerebral bastard. I'm just one guy, but I enjoy your contributions here - even when you're on one of your zany kicks. :wink: