PDA

View Full Version : Harry Sydney on minicamps

motife
05-23-2006, 05:56 PM
With two mini-camps under his belt, Mike McCarthy and the rest of the staff can now sit down and review the film and actually make an assessment on what the Green Bay Packers have accomplished up to this point.
This camp was a little different because the coaches took the gloves off a little more. In the first camp the coaches were introducing ideas and concepts and were slowly allowing all the players to grasp it. They were allowing for mistakes. They understood even the veterans would have some problems making the adjustments, especially when it came to the implement of the new version of the West Coast offense, the zone blocking scheme as well as the new flexibility the quarterbacks will have in the offense.

So, in the first mini-camp missed reads by the quarterbacks were allowed or at least tolerated. McCarthy or Tom Clements, the quarterbacks coach, didn't expect Ingle Martin to understand the offense and not make bad reads or throws. Also some penalties again were tolerated such as jumping offsides by the defense, or illegal motion by the offense, but not the recent camp. The coaching staff threw more at the players, even though it was a voluntary camp, and it was nice to see guys there that didn't have to be there, like William Henderson, Donald Driver, Bubba Franks and Nick Barnett. I believe it was important for them to be there because they are the leaders and can help implement McCarthy's message. It was good for guys like Abdul Hodge to learn how to practice like a professional from a proven professional like Ben Taylor. Just as it was important for Mark Tauscher and Chad Clifton to be able to get a feel of what Mike McCarthy expects from his offensive line. Aaron Rodgers seems to have a good grasp on the offense which means all of the time he has spent here this off-season so far has paid off.

Like I said, this mini-camp had a different tone. To a fan watching practice it would look the same as before, but things were certainly different. I say it with guarded optimism because I do know that everyone looks good in shorts, but I saw some guys that just might help the team. Trust me, that word "IF" is a scary word. As an ex-coach you never want to put too much pressure on any player, especially ones that are so young and unproven at the big boy level. This isn't college anymore. In every game they will be going up against the best players in the world and we will then see if they can pass the test of training camp, but for right now some people have caught my eye for different reasons:

-- Aaron Rodgers has because of his work effort and his eagerness to take control of this offense and this team. He conducts himself as if this is his team and he is the leader. He is preparing as if Brett Favre is gone. The way he is educating the receivers and running backs as they communicated about routes and audibles is awesome.

-- Another player that I found myself watching with interest was wide receiver Leo Bookman from Kansas. He has size, weight and speed. He ran bye defenders with ease. It was reported he ran a 40 clocked at 4.2 seconds which is flying. He stands 6-foot-2 and weighs 212 pounds. He looks like he can play, but again time will tell if he can play with the big boys when the bullets are real.

-- As I say this, someone else got my attention and that was Will Blackmon. Did he do anything that was super outstanding, no, but he just looks like he can be a player.

-- Roy Manning I believe will be a player for the Packers this year he was a rookie free agent last year and for some reason disappeared, but he might be really ready to be in the mix this year.

-- Hodge he might just be the steal of the draft. His aggressiveness and willingness to hit might just be what we have been waiting for.

-- A.J. Hawk of course wasn't at camp due to how Ohio State is set up with academics, but throw him into the mix with all the young linebackers and this unit might have gone from the weak link of the defense to perhaps the strongest.

-- Then there is Scott Wells he has taken the job of center and grabbed it by the throat.

As much as Mike McCarthy might have wanted some of the other veterans to show up, such as Al Harris or Charles Woodson, and he might have even wanted Kabeer to be there, but he can live with them not showing up because he knows what they can do. They are proven players in the NFL. He knows what they can do. If this team is going to turn things around it's not going to be because of how the proven players play, it's going to be determined by all of the "IF" players and how they do at MAKING STRIDES!!!!!!!!

Noodle
05-23-2006, 06:51 PM
I like this guy's insights, and he sounds like he knows what he's talking about. It's also pretty clear he's approving of the M3 style, and that's a good thing.

He sounds like the kind of guy not to get excited about the latest hero in shorts, so I'm pretty encouraged by what I'm reading.

And this Leo Bookman kid sounds like he could be the vertical answer. Sydney's a former KU guy, so he might be biased, but man, it'd be sweet to have a guy who can stretch the field a little, giving more space for Driver to work.

Rastak
05-23-2006, 08:04 PM
I like this guy's insights, and he sounds like he knows what he's talking about. It's also pretty clear he's approving of the M3 style, and that's a good thing.

He sounds like the kind of guy not to get excited about the latest hero in shorts, so I'm pretty encouraged by what I'm reading.

And this Leo Bookman kid sounds like he could be the vertical answer. Sydney's a former KU guy, so he might be biased, but man, it'd be sweet to have a guy who can stretch the field a little, giving more space for Driver to work.

Earlier in the year everyone was calling him a moron when his comments were negative.

retailguy
05-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Earlier in the year everyone was calling him a moron when his comments were negative.

But, Rastak, don't you understand, it's DIFFERENT now! :mrgreen:

Glad I could help you out.... :D

Rastak
05-23-2006, 08:15 PM
:mrgreen:

Scott Campbell
05-23-2006, 09:52 PM

Everyone is entitled to enjoy the honeymoon.

HarveyWallbangers
05-23-2006, 10:40 PM

What's your point? Motife posted the article (he posts every article), and one person responded to it. Hardly "everybody."

retailguy
05-23-2006, 11:45 PM
What's your point? Motife posted the article (he posts every article), and one person responded to it. Hardly "everybody."

But.... Noodle IS somebody....

Rastak
05-24-2006, 03:31 AM

No, it seemed like at one time or another everyone called Sidney an idiot or a moron.
Damn near all.....just thought it was funny that now anyone might say he's a real smart guy.....LOL....you people are fucking touchy....geez.

Noodle
05-24-2006, 08:27 AM
Thanks Retail, I am thumbody!

I wasn't on the board when the offical, Packer Rats position was decided upon for Sydney (I was still fighting the good fight at JSO), and I didn't say the guy sounds like a rocket scientist.

But he's been around a little bit, and I think he has some interesting insights based on some experience in the league as a player and a coach. I think he was on Holmgren's staff for a cup of coffee, and he was out in SF during some of their salad days, so the dude has seen what works.

Sure his writing makes him sound like a lunkhead, but you'll find the guys who know horseflesh at the track, not the library.

Bretsky
05-24-2006, 08:31 AM

No, it seemed like at one time or another everyone called Sidney an idiot or a moron.
Damn near all.....just thought it was funny that now anyone might say he's a real smart guy.....LOL....you people are fucking touchy....geez.

You have good memory Rastak; Sydney was quite critical of the Packers inability to improve their team at all with the $$ before Woodson and many were ripping him to shreds.

Personally I'm still not on the Sydney train.

Rastak
05-24-2006, 08:32 AM
Thanks Retail, I am thumbody!

I wasn't on the board when the offical, Packer Rats position was decided upon for Sydney (I was still fighting the good fight at JSO), and I didn't say the guy sounds like a rocket scientist.

But he's been around a little bit, and I think he has some interesting insights based on some experience in the league as a player and a coach. I think he was on Holmgren's staff for a cup of coffee, and he was out in SF during some of their salad days, so the dude has seen what works.

Sure his writing makes him sound like a lunkhead, but you'll find the guys who know horseflesh at the track, not the library.

I wasn't pickin on ya Noodle. He's okay, and his last article was pretty well written. He's a former player and probably has some contacts, plus he's outspoken so I don't have anything against the guy.

MJZiggy
05-24-2006, 08:36 AM
Me either. I think I have a little whiplash from watching him switch positions so quickly. Didn't he intimate before that draft that there was no possible way that the Packers were going to be competitive this season and now all of a sudden we're looking good? If a dozen rookies can make that much of a difference, the quit all the "there's no way" talk before the draft because evidently there is a way.

Noodle
05-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Ras,
It's all good. I'd be rolling my eyes too if this guy had been universally denigrated due to his negativity, then he writes a positive article and some noob hits the board saying Sydney's the smartest guy around. Clean hit.

The Leaper
05-24-2006, 08:39 AM
I thought Sydney was an IDIOT for ripping Thompson earlier this year. He was the guy who was harping all last year about the fact that this team was rebuilding...so why was he suddenly upset that Green Bay wasn't throwing money at guys who were only available because they really weren't wanted somewhere else? Of all people, he should know that free agency isn't as great a resource as it sometimes seems.

We all say dumb things from time to time...generally, I think Sydney shoots from the hip and has good insights.

Guiness
05-24-2006, 09:47 AM

Sluuurrp. I don't know what you're talking about. Here, try some of this kool-aid. It's really good.

I think Sydney is like a bad soap opera. No continuity - he calls him as he sees them that day, with no regard for what happened yesterday. I think he'd be the kind of coach that starts the 2nd string QB because he's been throwing bullets in practice, and bench the starter who just had a rough outing.

Patler
05-24-2006, 10:00 AM
I don't read his articles very often, but I don't recall reading a single one in which he did not bring up the fact he is a former player/coach. I've never cared much for his articles, whther he has a positive or negative slant.

When considering his comments on Mike Sherman, bear in mind that Sherman declined to retain him on the coaching staff when Sherman came in 2000. Sydney was runningbacks coach for four years under Holmgren and had been retained by Rhodes in 1999. Sherman canned him in favor of Kippy Brown in 2000.

Homer Jay
05-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Maybe it proves he makes a better coach than GM.

The part of the article I most hope he is right about is, " Then there is Scott Wells he has taken the job of center and grabbed it by the throat." That would be a big plus for the offense.

Harlan Huckleby
05-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Harry Syndney is one of my favorite writers. Yes, he shoots from the hip, but he ends up being right more often than most.

Very encouraging words about Bookman and Wells, especially since those areas need help.