PDA

View Full Version : patriots bailing out of the pro-bowl...

gbgary
02-04-2008, 09:02 PM
brady, moss bailing out.

Rastak
02-04-2008, 09:02 PM
brady, moss bailing out...according to espn.

Lame when players bail.......

b bulldog
02-04-2008, 09:03 PM
No big deal there, lots of vets do it on a regular basis. I think the game is a joke and shouldn't be played.

Harlan Huckleby
02-04-2008, 09:04 PM
they should get together in a Hawaii hotel and play Madden football.

b bulldog
02-04-2008, 09:05 PM
I'd like to see the NFL players play the college allstars like they used to. :lol:

packinpatland
02-04-2008, 09:09 PM
I'd like to see the NFL players play the college allstars like they used to. :lol:

i remember that..........when did that stop?

Harlan Huckleby
02-04-2008, 09:16 PM
well, if the Pro athletes are really so worried about getting hurt, let them play the highschool all-stars.

b bulldog
02-04-2008, 09:17 PM
I think that stopped in the mid sixties if I remember correctly. I think I read that in my Paul Hornung book but I may be wrong.

KYPack
02-04-2008, 09:35 PM

i remember that..........when did that stop?

The Chicago Charities College All-Star Game was a preseason American football game played annually (except in 1974) from 1934 to 1976 between the National Football League champions and a team of star college seniors from the previous year. After the Super Bowl began, including the two seasons prior to the NFL/AFL merger, the Super Bowl winner was the professional team involved, regardless of which league the team represented. Thus, the New York Jets played in the 1969 event, although still an AFL team.

The game was the idea of Arch Ward, the sports editor of the Chicago Tribune and the driving force behind the Major League Baseball All-Star Game. The game originally was a benefit for Chicago-area charities and was always played at Soldier Field in Chicago or at Northwestern University's Dyche Stadium in Evanston, Illinois.

The first game, played before a crowd of 79,432 on August 31, 1934, was a scoreless tie between the all-stars and the Chicago Bears. The following year, a game that included University of Michigan graduate and future president Gerald Ford, the Bears won, 5-0. The first all-star team to win was the 1937 squad, coached by Gus Dorais, which won on a 47-yard touchdown pass from future Hall of Famer Sammy Baugh to Gaynell Tinsley.

In the 1940s, the games were competitive affairs that attracted large crowds to Soldier Field. But as the talent level of pro football improved, the all-stars had diminishing success. The last all-star win came in 1963, when a team coached by legendary quarterback Otto Graham beat Vince Lombardi's Green Bay Packers, 20-17.

By the 1970s, crowds for the event were dwindling. In addition, NFL coaches were reluctant to part with their new draftees (who would miss part of training camp) for a meaningless exhibition at which the players might be injured.

A player's strike forced the cancellation of the 1974 game. The last game took place during a downpour at Soldier Field on July 23, 1976. Despite featuring stars such as Chuck Muncie, Mike Pruitt, Lee Roy Selmon and Jackie Slater, the rookies were hopelessly outmatched by the Pittsburgh Steelers, winners of Super Bowl X. Pittsburgh was leading 24-0 late in the third quarter when weather conditions made play impossible and the officials called for a delay. The players left the field and were replaced by unruly fans who tore down the goal posts. NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle decided the game would not be restarted. Chicago Tribune Charities Inc., the sponsor of the game, elected not to bring it back for 1977.

The Steelers' win was the 31st for NFL champions in the 43 College All-Star Games. The all-stars won nine, and two ended in ties.

Lurker64
02-04-2008, 09:37 PM
I think they should play the pro-bowl for home team advantage in the next year's superbowl.

MadtownPacker
02-04-2008, 09:46 PM
brady is still gonna be sore in 2 weeks. :lol:

4and12to12and4
02-04-2008, 10:11 PM

You say that until AP goes and gets a career ending injury. Which is possible, I can't see him slowing down in that game, he only has one gear - full throttle. I just watched a bunch of video of him on youtube, my god, he is the most fun player to watch in the sport right now, you're lucky to have him.

packinpatland
02-05-2008, 06:55 AM
brady is still gonna be sore in 2 weeks. :lol:

What is Moss' excuse? He only had, what, a handful of catches. :roll:

KYPack
02-05-2008, 08:14 AM

They call 'em veterans

cpk1994
02-05-2008, 12:19 PM
I don't believe Packer fans have a right to call out other players when Favre has bailed the Pro Bowl AGAIN. Its like the 11th time now.

packinpatland
02-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Favre never gave an indication that he was going and then back out like a sore loser.

b bulldog
02-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Antonio Gates and Jamaal Williams have also withdrawn today.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Favre never gave an indication that he was going and then back out like a sore loser.

You are making inferences you can't substantiate.

packinpatland
02-05-2008, 05:52 PM

I am not. Favre never said he was going this year, and in years past he never waited until 6 days before the game to say he wasn't going. Until yesterday, Moss and Brady were going.

b bulldog
02-06-2008, 07:38 AM
Why did Gates and Williams withdraw?? They lost two weeks ago.

Patler
02-06-2008, 07:56 AM

I am not. Favre never said he was going this year, and in years past he never waited until 6 days before the game to say he wasn't going. Until yesterday, Moss and Brady were going.

Typically, the announcements come shortly after the players' seasons' end, not before they play their last game, unless it is a player who is injured badly and not playing. Favre backed out again right after the loss to the Giants, didn't he? I suspect if GB had beaten the Giants, and gone to the Super Bowl, Favre would not have backed out until this week too.

You could just as well say that Favre was going until he "backed out like a sore loser" too, couldn't you?

packinpatland
02-06-2008, 09:13 AM
"You could just as well say that Favre was going until he "backed out like a sore loser" too, couldn't you?"

Nope, I couldn't, wouldn't, will never say that.

...........................sounds 'Suese-like' doesn't it? :wink:

Tyrone Bigguns
02-06-2008, 12:18 PM

Sore loser.

You have no proof that they are backing out because of the loss. Both Brady and Moss have injuriies.

BTW, in the past, Favre never was in the SP and had the opportunity to back out last minute..cept for 2 years.