PDA

View Full Version : Bush clouds up first overall pick

b bulldog
04-02-2006, 07:45 PM
At USC's proday, Reggie Bush ran a 4.4/40 on a fast track. Some think he will run a 4.48ish on grass. His numbers didn't relate to the tape where he looks to have 4.25-4.3 speed. This could muddy the first five picks in April's draft.

MJZiggy
04-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Only if you can convince Houston that Reggie's not their man.

Deputy Nutz
04-02-2006, 08:04 PM
The fact is, the tape shows that he is fast, and that is what is important. I didn't think that Bush would blaze the forty, but I also didn't put that much stock in his timed speed. In Cleats and in a uniform, he can run away from anyone.

He didn't cloud anything up. A 4.40 is still god damn fast.

Besides this is coming from the man, that despises pro day workouts.

billy_oliver880
04-02-2006, 08:12 PM
Wouldn't that surprise the HELL out of everyone if Houston took someone else with the first pick in the draft.

MJZiggy
04-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Especially since Kubiak said flat out last week that they were taking Bush and were not interested in offers to trade down.

billy_oliver880
04-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Especially since Kubiak said flat out last week that they were taking Bush and were not interested in offers to trade down.

We have all seen weirder things. :mrgreen:

Deputy Nutz
04-02-2006, 08:27 PM
From the gbnreport.com

6:00 PM): That's a lock... Any questions whether Southern California RB Reggie Bush was worthy of being the #1 player selected at the 2006 draft may have put to bed earlier today when the Trojans' star ran under 4.35 seconds for the 40 at the USC on-campus workout in front of an estimated 150 personnel people from around the NFL. Gil Brandt has the early results from the USC workout over at NFL.com however the positional drills are still on-going. While Bush was starring with his speed, LenDale White, USC's other back with firsdt-round potential, weighed in at 244 pounds but reportedly did not run which could hurt his draft status. QB Matt Leinart, who measured in at 6-6, 224, also reportedly chose not to run, but his fortunes were going to be determined by how well he threw the ball anyway.

Go to NFL.com for official times of all prospects from USC. Here is a little clip about he running surface.

The results …
SOUTHERN CAL: APRIL 2
They ran outdoors on AstroTurf, which was a fast surface. All 40-yard dash times were clocked electronically, which historically adds about .08 of a second to the actual time. For instance, if someone ran the 40 in 4.50 seconds, it really means he ran it in about 4.42 seconds.

Interesting to note, that Lendale White did not run.

Bossman641
04-02-2006, 08:36 PM
I'm really surprised White didn't run. Whatever his reason for not running, it doesn't bode well for him. There were already questions about his speed but now it looks as if he's just trying to hide something.

I know some mocks had us trading down and grabbing him but I'd stay as far away from him as possible. If we trade down and grab a RB it has to be DeAngelo.

billy_oliver880
04-02-2006, 08:44 PM
I'm really surprised White didn't run. Whatever his reason for not running, it doesn't bode well for him. There were already questions about his speed but now it looks as if he's just trying to hide something.

I know some mocks had us trading down and grabbing him but I'd stay as far away from him as possible. If we trade down and grab a RB it has to be DeAngelo.

What the heck is White scared of? He must be really slow if he doesn't line up and run.

Bossman641
04-02-2006, 08:54 PM
From NFL.com

"White (6-0¾, 244) had 15 lifts, but didn't do any vertical or long jumps. He did not run."

So he didn't run or vertical jump. The vertical is normally a pretty good measure of explosiveness. Unless he was injured it looks like he's hiding something.

Deputy Nutz
04-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Most likely he messed up a leg muscle or tendon training. Probably a hamy. But he is going to have to run before the draft if he wants to cash in on first round money. Nobody will go after him unless he has a time up on the board.

I think he will be safe if he runs anything under a 4.6.

billy_oliver880
04-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Most likely he messed up a leg muscle or tendon training. Probably a hamy. But he is going to have to run before the draft if he wants to cash in on first round money. Nobody will go after him unless he has a time up on the board.

I think he will be safe if he runs anything under a 4.6.

I think he is running out of opportunities...don't ya think?

HarveyWallbangers
04-02-2006, 09:35 PM
The fact is, the tape shows that he is fast, and that is what is important.

BINGO!

Deputy Nutz
04-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Also viable reports had Bush running under a 4.4 forty, so bulldog better look for a better reporting source next time around.

b bulldog
04-02-2006, 10:20 PM
pft.com WAS MY SOURCE

b bulldog
04-02-2006, 10:21 PM
yOU MUST HAVE MISSED WHERE I :evil: SAID HE LOOKED MUCH BETTER THAN THAT ON TAPE

RashanGary
04-02-2006, 11:37 PM
Reggie Bush would be an amazing CB.....

He's an amazing offensive weapon and I think he'll be great at what he does but if I had his body I would play CB. First of all CB's make the most money. For me though its because I love defense. I love the challenge of shutting the opponent down. It's too bad the most physically gifted CB liked running the ball and returning kicks more than what the football god designed him to do.

6'0"
200 LBS
4.43 *if he was on a regular surface*
Maybe the most fluid natural hips that football has ever seen

And he's going to waste that talent on running the damn ball. Terrell Davis, Samkon Gado, LenDale White, Nejeh Davenport, and a slew of other stiffs can do that. He has a special gift and IMO it's wasted by carrying the ball.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-03-2006, 12:07 AM
I was watching some highlight films of Reggie "Fucking" Bush yesturday on the Internet and it changed my perception on him. I think he will be good in the NFL and he will leave coaches shouting, "this aint flag football, tackle Reggie 'fucking' Bush already!"

Collins, Bush at CB? I think hes better suited for S if he plays defense.

A few nights ago, i had a dream in which Pack traded up to get Bush, which signaled the end of the Ahman Green era. I woke up and, although I now think Bush is the real deal, for the first time in my fucking life, I was glad thompson is the GM and and wont trade up to get Bush. Then I realized that thompson fucked up the Pack and I once more is not glad that that gay GM is making decisions.

RashanGary
04-03-2006, 01:07 AM
Speaking of playing guys out of position. I mentioned this a while ago on JS but I would love to see Dwayne Wade at WR......

Dwayne Wade
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 210
40: est 4.4
Vertical: 40"

According to draft reports Wade had unmatched speed and quickness for a player his height and weight. I think 6'4" is the perfect height for a WR. There has never been in the NFL a reciever with the explosion, quickness and body control that Dwayne Wade possesses. He would be the greatest football player ever. Too bad for us football fans he plays a sport that pays more and requires better athletes.

Partial
04-03-2006, 01:21 AM
thats why I have faith the tight end position is going to change to a legion of Vernon Davis' aka power/small forwards who are freakish athletes in college but cannot cut it in the nba

Homer Jay
04-03-2006, 02:23 AM
At USC's proday, Reggie Bush ran a 4.4/40 on a fast track. Some think he will run a 4.48ish on grass. His numbers didn't relate to the tape where he looks to have 4.25-4.3 speed. This could muddy the first five picks in April's draft.

I've looked at this and looked at this and I just have to ask. who looks at tapes and decides someone has 4.25-4.3 speed. I have never heard of someone looking like they ran a certain time.

HarveyWallbangers
04-03-2006, 08:36 AM
I've looked at this and looked at this and I just have to ask. who looks at tapes and decides someone has 4.25-4.3 speed. I have never heard of someone looking like they ran a certain time.

I suppose you could watch him on tape, and see him running away from guys who likely time in the 4.3s or 4.4s and get a pretty good idea. You can post all of the Vernon Davis, Mario, and Hawk video you want, but if you ever seen the video highlights of Bush (even in high school), you see a VERY special player.

Deputy Nutz
04-03-2006, 08:45 AM
pft.com WAS MY SOURCE

Then I am sorry that you relied on them. I personally don't trust that source farther than I can throw it, and the last time I checked you can't physically throw a site, its damn near impossible.

I will make a correction for NFL.com though, they said at the USC pro day all players ran on astroturf, but when I turned on ESPN I saw Bush running on a track like surface. There is a big difference between running on a rubber track, and on astroturf.