PDA

View Full Version : From FoxSports Inside Slant - Charles Woodson

K-town
05-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Team Report: Inside Slant

The Packers signed Pro Bowl cornerback Charles Woodson to a hefty free-agent contract last month primarily for his defensive prowess.

Yet, head coach Mike McCarthy already is in the midst of exploring ways of getting the ultra-talented veteran involved in other areas.
"I think anytime you put the ball in Charles' hands, good things are going to happen," McCarthy said.

Woodson warranted a seven-year contract worth more than $39 million and stands to earn a quarter of it this year. He will start opposite Al Harris on the left side, giving the Packers one of the more formidable shutdown duos.

Woodson also is in the mix with a host of rookies to fill the vacancy at punt returner. He was used sparingly in that role with Oakland his first eight years in the league, running back just 12 punts, but has game-breaking potential even at age 29 and coming off a string of injuries the last few years.

"The biggest thing for Charles is, obviously, to get acclimated with our defense. (But) I'm excited about him as a punt returner. He's very natural back there," McCarthy said. "You never have enough good returners. So, that's obviously an opportunity to get him the football because he is an exciting player with the ball in his hands."

The former do-everything Heisman Trophy winner from Michigan also will get perhaps more than a look-see at receiver during the Packers' organized team activities in June. The Raiders backed off on deploying Woodson as a two-way player after they gave him cameo time on offense early in his career, when he caught two passes.

Other than Donald Driver, the Packers are unsettled at the receiver spot after trading Javon Walker to Denver on the first day of the draft. The 6-foot-1, 208-pound Woodson could be summoned when Green Bay spreads the field with four- and five-receiver sets.

"We will address his participation on offense as we go down the line," McCarthy said.

The Packers, however, first want Woodson to make plays with his hands and be a difference maker on defense. He has only 17 interceptions in his career, five of which came his rookie season in 1998. He's had just seven picks since 2000.

Still, the never-shy Woodson arrived in Green Bay full of braggadocio that he's the best cornerback in the league. He wore his college number, 2, in the post-draft minicamp earlier this month and has petitioned the league to allow him to wear it during the season.

"The confidence comes from a long history of success. I've been good at this game for a long time," Woodson declared. "The last couple of years, with the (losing) seasons we've had (in Oakland) and with the injuries, I've definitely been overlooked. I see a lot of the guys that they rank up there ahead of me, they're not even close. I tell you that now.
"But, I have a new opportunity, a fresh start here in Green Bay. I look forward to it."

Woodson said he's fully recovered from the broken right leg that sidelined him the final 10 games last season.

Glad to see he's still got his confidence. I want to see it on the field, especially on September 10th.

swede
05-23-2006, 08:11 PM
He's one of my five impact players for 2006.

I'm predicting five touchdowns out of Charles this year. Why?

Because he seems to have something to prove. He has very few years left to show the world he is an elite NFL player.

Scott Campbell
05-23-2006, 09:54 PM
You know, maybe they will only keep 5 receivers. It's a luxury to have versatile players.

MadtownPacker
05-23-2006, 10:32 PM
If he can stay healthy he will be tearing it up on both sides of the ball. Let's just hope the change of air strengthens his bones.

chain_gang
05-23-2006, 11:41 PM
I like his attitude, it's down right confident and cocky. He has a point to prove and this is the year to do it. As long as he can stay healthy, I don't really like the idea of him returning punts though. You need to make sure your stars are healthy, but if he can pick up some of the offense he'd be a great addition. Knowing what the CB is going to do before the snap and how to mislead DB, or fool them. He'd be great for that, could have someone as versatile as Troy Brown, but with a lot more talent.

Harlan Huckleby
05-24-2006, 12:07 AM
I was lukewarm towards Woodson when he was signed. But after reading minicamp reports of how well he runs and moves, I'm thinking there's hope his career will bounce back to high level with a little luck on the injury front.