PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins...

AtlPackFan
02-05-2008, 09:44 AM
http://nfldraft.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=763411

30. Green Bay (13-3)
The Pick: Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas*
The buzz: The Packers will look to address their backfield early in this deep class. Jones would give them an impact weapon in several roles.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You gotta love this stuff...2 days after the Super Bowl and the draft talk starts.

packinpatland
02-05-2008, 10:02 AM
I live 2 hours north of NY city, it is POURING out right now here.

..........and where does all the 'ticker tape' come from now days? :?:

packinpatland
02-05-2008, 10:10 AM
I live 2 hours north of NY city, it is POURING out right now here.

..........and where does all the 'ticker tape' come from now days? :?:

I'm sorry, I have no idea how this ended up here........ :oops:

Deputy Nutz
02-05-2008, 10:15 AM
I just don't see the Packers taking a running back here unless he is the best rated player on thompson's board.

Partial
02-05-2008, 10:19 AM
I don't see it happening period. I think he'll look at a pass rusher or a cornerback. It sure would be sweet to have a James Stewart, though!

Deputy Nutz
02-05-2008, 10:27 AM
I didn't think he was going to take Justin Harrell last year and I was wrong, so I just don't discount any player or position period for the 2008 draft. Sure it makes since to get a edge rusher, or cement a future at cornerback, but Thompson has his own way of handling the draft.

AtlPackFan
02-05-2008, 10:27 AM
It's Ted Thompson guys and gals. Never say never.

Really, its just funny. These boards will change about 100 times before the draft.

Deputy Nutz
02-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Mock drafts are an easy way to get people to check out the site, people love them. The combine has yet to be held, free agency is still around the corner, and personal workouts have yet to happen, so yeah a lot of things haven't fallen into place for these boards to hold true.

oregonpackfan
02-05-2008, 10:37 AM
I don't see it happening period. I think he'll look at a pass rusher or a cornerback. It sure would be sweet to have a James Stewart, though!

Is your "James" Stewart the "Jonathan Stewart from Oregon?

If not, which college does James Stewart represent? :?:

Partial
02-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Yeah. Jonathan Stewart my bad. He's an animal and is thick. He looks like he'll be a young jamal lewis.

red
02-05-2008, 11:38 AM
felix would be ok by me, it would be nice to have 2 rb's we can count on

but we need OL (everywhere), and cb more

harris and woodson are getting old, and we have almost nothing behind them. and as for the o-line. the tackles are getting older, it would be nice to have a good backup and someone who is ready to take over in a few years. and i still don't like the interior of the o-line at all

i think we have more then enough talent at d-line where we don't have to waste another high pick on one

lb seems alright, unless theres an all out stud that can replace pop, but not a priority

we DO NOT need a WR. we're probably ok at saftey. TE seems OK, wouldn't hurt to take someone there i guess

Tyrone Bigguns
02-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Tyrone can't wait to see what devious maneuvers TT comes up with. I'm sure this is the draft that will force brett out. C'mon TT, i know you can do it.

PackerBlues
02-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Thompson is going to have what??? The 30'th Pick?

There is not going to be an A.J Hawk at #30, but he might be able to find an Aaron Rogers or a Justin Harrell at #30. Will Thompson change the way he works the draft based on where he is picking? Will he try to trade up? Will he trade away picks for other teams proven talent?

We need a stud pass rusher that can consistently help put pressure on opposing QB's. All of this last season, our D-line just could not get it done against the better teams. All things considered, I think our corners did a great job, especially considering how long each pass play lasted due to the lack of a rush from our D-line.

Joemailman
02-05-2008, 01:30 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

30. GREEN BAY PACKERS
DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE
CB | Tennessee St. | Scouting Report
Al Harris and Charles Woodson are one of the better starting cornerback combos in the league but to say the Packers have little or no depth behind them would be an understatement. This would actually be the perfect situation for Rodgers-Cromartie because he wouldn't be forced into a starting job right away and could instead learn behind two of the best in the business. "DRC" put on a show at the Senior Bowl and even though he has to bulk up he is a rare athlete with terrific height, leaping ability and ball skills. In fact, the resemblance to his cousin, Antonio Cromartie, is uncanny.

This would be a risky but very interesting pick. He fact that he surprised people at the Senior Bowl may indicate that he just needs more individual coaching than he would have gotten at Tennessee St.

60. GREEN BAY PACKERS
Philip Wheeler ILB | Georgia Tech | Scouting Report
Athletic linebacker who can play either inside or outside to provide some much-needed depth.

Philip Wheeler
Height: 6-2 | Weight: 230 | 40-Time: 4.50

Official Bio

Strengths:
A great athlete...Excellent timed speed...Good quickness with a burst to close...A very good pass rusher and blitzer...Has sideline-to-sideline range...Big hitter and solid tackler...Terrific instincts...Extremely active...Does okay when dropping into a zone...Smart...Good leader...Versatile...Real productive...Durable and experienced.

Weaknesses:
Undersized and doesn't have the size or bulk that you look for...Too aggressive at times...Has some trouble getting off blocks...Not stout at the point...Questionable man coverage skills...Lacks fluid hips...Displays poor hand use...Must get stronger.

Notes:
A three-year starter in the ACC...Began his career as a defensive end...Played the middle in college but many are projecting him to the weakside at the next level...A talented playmaking linebacker with solid physical tools and a well-rounded game.
Career Statistics
Year GP TKL TFL SACK PBU INT
2003 12 6 0.0 0.0 0 0
2004 DNP - - - - -
2005 12 64 11.5 4.0 4 4
2006 14 89 14.5 9.0 5 0
2007 13 88 8.5 5.5 5 0
Totals 51 247 34.5 18.5 14 4

This would be a logical pick that would add depth at a position where the Pack really needs it.

Packers4Ever
02-05-2008, 02:47 PM
It's Ted Thompson guys and gals. Never say never.

Really, its just funny. These boards will change about 100 times before the draft.

You're right, APF
We haven't even seen the Pro Bowl yet :roll:
:lol:

woodbuck27
02-05-2008, 02:51 PM
I just don't see the Packers taking a running back here unless he is the best rated player on thompson's board.

Yup.

TT will go Defense maybe a CB or trade down.

That's my early prediction. In actual fact a prediction hardly fits TT's style as he could do anything. He's really. . . a surprize. :D

PACKERS FOREVER!

DannoMac21
02-05-2008, 03:17 PM
I would LOVE Felix Jones. I've been pushing for him since the beginning of the college season, and have told all my friends about him and whatnot.

The Leaper
02-05-2008, 03:54 PM

Please, everyone...

STOP WITH THE TRADE DOWNS!

I know you are locked into Thompson draft mode...but even he knows the facts regarding his position this year.

Few teams are going to trade up into the last few picks of the first round to select someone with equivalent talent that they will have to pay twice as much for.

As I've posted in another thread...the last first rounder last year (Gonzalez) signed a 5 yr/$10M deal...with almost $5M guaranteed. The second pick in the second round (Branch) signed a 4 yr/$5M deal...and probably most of it was not guaranteed.

With that kind of contract disparity for guys picked within 2 spots of each other, it makes it very unlikely that Thompson will trade down from the first round...teams won't pay that kind of premium for a guy very often at that point in the draft. I'm not saying it is impossible...but the likelihood of it happening is remote at best.

Also, the value of the pick when compared to one 10 spots behind it is only a 4th round value. It isn't like Thompson can load up on first day picks by trading down.

IMO, the chances that Thompson will TRADE UP with that first pick are greater than the chances that he will trade down.

ny10804
02-05-2008, 04:55 PM
I'd be perfectly fine with Cromartie's cousin. Antonio Cromartie is extremely outrageously extravagantly good. To get someone at all like him at CB is something that would be very valuable. I wish we could just have Cromartie...

packrulz
02-05-2008, 05:12 PM

Please, everyone...

I know you are locked into Thompson draft mode...but even he knows the facts regarding his position this year.

Few teams are going to trade up into the last few picks of the first round to select someone with equivalent talent that they will have to pay twice as much for.

As I've posted in another thread...the last first rounder last year (Gonzalez) signed a 5 yr/$10M deal...with almost $5M guaranteed. The second pick in the second round (Branch) signed a 4 yr/$5M deal...and probably most of it was not guaranteed.

With that kind of contract disparity for guys picked within 2 spots of each other, it makes it very unlikely that Thompson will trade down from the first round...teams won't pay that kind of premium for a guy very often at that point in the draft. I'm not saying it is impossible...but the likelihood of it happening is remote at best.

Also, the value of the pick when compared to one 10 spots behind it is only a 4th round value. It isn't like Thompson can load up on first day picks by trading down.

IMO, the chances that Thompson will TRADE UP with that first pick are greater than the chances that he will trade down.

I agree that TT won't be able to trade down but he will never trade up either. I think he will sit tight for the BPA and that may very well be for a RB with all the juniors coming out this year, Grant is good but Jackson/Wynn haven't shown much, the CB's are getting old but the young guys have been making plays, I've been known to bash the guards but they got us to the NFC Championship Game and it took Wahle/Rivera awhile to develop too. The running game has GOT to get better, and RB's have the biggest chance of immediate impact on a team, I've seen it happen time and time again. I remember when a lot of mock drafts had the Packers taking Laurence Maroney in the first round, they didn't, but he ended up being a hell of a RB. If the Packers want a Super Bowl win they need a stud RB or platoon. DE, CB, and WR can burn you in the first round, look at guys like Mario Williams, (who I admit I wanted), Terrell Buckley, or Troy Williamson. RB's are probably the most successful at having an impact in their rookie year than all other positions overall.

Fred's Slacks
02-05-2008, 05:38 PM

Please, everyone...

Do you have more details on these deals? I am not sure that round has anything to do with rookie contracts. I thought everyone just falls in line between the guy picked before and after.

Its going to cost alot more to sign someone to a 5 year deal than a 4. Not only does the base salary go up due to the minimum for years of experience, but the signing bonus has to go up alot to compensate for the extra year before the player can sign another contract and get his next bonus.

I am not saying your wrong, I would just like to see more details on their contracts like the bonuses involved and the base salaries. Like I said, I thought it was all sloted by pick number, not round.

vince
02-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Leap, the information I came up with is different than you cited.

Gonzalez signed a 5/$7.5 mil deal, not a 5/$10 mil. deal according to Rotoworld.

Also, except for the length of contract dropping from 5 to 4 years, there is no evidence that I can find to suggest an inordinate drop in salaries from the first to second rounds. Of course there's a drop, but it is far less than you indicated and not out of line with the differences in contracts only slightly above this area of the draft board.

In my opinion, it's certainly not enough of a drop to automatically conclude that no GM who sees someone on the board that they think could really help their team would would be interested in trading up, particularly if they fear losing the opportunity to get that player between #30 and whenever they may pick lower down the board.

Here are the relevant draft picks, contracts and the annual drop in pay from pick to pick surrounding the end of the first round and into the top of the second...

Pick.......Name.....................Years......Mil lions.......Difference from Previous Pick per Year

25.........John Beason.............5............12.51
26........Anthony Spencer.........5...........9.................$702 ,000 less
27........Robert Meachum.........5..........11.3..............$460, 000 MORE
28........Joe Staley..................5............8............ ....$660,000 less
29........Ben Grubbs................5............8.............. ...$ same
30........Craig Davis.................5..........7.83............$ 34,000 less
31........Greg Olson.................5..........7.769...........$ 12,200 less
32........Anthony Gonzalez.......5...........7.5..............$53,80 0 less
ROUND 2
33........Alan Branch................4.............5............. .$250,000 less
34........Paul Posluszny...........4.............4.75..........$6 2,500 less
35........Arron Sears
36........Kevin Kolb..................4............4.32..........$ 53,750 less
37........Eric Weddle.................4
38........Zach Miller..................4
39........Justin Blalock
40........John Beck...................4............4.5........... $11,250 MORE

Guiness
02-05-2008, 08:16 PM
we DO NOT need a WR. we're probably ok at saftey. TE seems OK, wouldn't hurt to take someone there i guess

Yes, but DT was probably our deepest pos'n last year. So I guess that means we can count on a 1st round WR!!!! :twisted:

MJZiggy
02-05-2008, 08:20 PM

Yes, but DT was probably our deepest pos'n last year. So I guess that means we can count on a 1st round WR!!!! :twisted:

What are we...the Lions?

Deputy Nutz
02-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Thompson is going to have what??? The 30'th Pick?

There is not going to be an A.J Hawk at #30, but he might be able to find an Aaron Rogers or a Justin Harrell at #30. Will Thompson change the way he works the draft based on where he is picking? Will he try to trade up? Will he trade away picks for other teams proven talent?

We need a stud pass rusher that can consistently help put pressure on opposing QB's. All of this last season, our D-line just could not get it done against the better teams. All things considered, I think our corners did a great job, especially considering how long each pass play lasted due to the lack of a rush from our D-line.

Really, the Packers have two good pass rushers in KGB and Kampman, but KGB sustained an injury to both his ankle and his leg, the defensive line as a hole suffered injuries across the board losing Jolly for the season, Cole for the season, and Pickett for two games. Kampman had back issues at the end of the year. The Packers counted on the front four to get pressure on the QB and at the beginning of the year they had very little problem getting after the QB, but injuries happened and players wore out. Jenkins was hurt on and off throughout the season, and more was expected out of him as a pass rusher, he is better than he was in 2007, but not leaps and bounds better.

All said the Packers need to have 4 defensive ends that can get to the passer, and they need one or two tackles to get pressure up the middle. Williams ability to work with in the system to get sacks helps, and unfortunately he will most likely land a big money deal that Thompson shouldn't really match if he wants to keep this team financially balanced.

The Packers don't have a lack of talent to get to the passer, but they might have a lack of depth, and a lack of creativity in their scheme. The point to having corners that can play man defense is to create pressure with blitzes and bringing guys from all over. The Packers hardly used twists or stunts on the defensive line, and they seldom used zone blitzes. The scheme really needs to become more sophisticated.

ny10804
02-06-2008, 05:06 PM
If the Packers want a Super Bowl win they need a stud RB or platoon. DE, CB, and WR can burn you in the first round, look at guys like Mario Williams, (who I admit I wanted), Terrell Buckley, or Troy Williamson.

Mario Williams made 2nd team All-Pro in this his second year.

I'm completely down for Cromartie. Anyone who honestly believes we two future starters at CB behind Woodson and Harris is kidding their selves.

PackerBlues
02-07-2008, 01:39 PM
The Packers don't have a lack of talent to get to the passer, but they might have a lack of depth, and a lack of creativity in their scheme. The point to having corners that can play man defense is to create pressure with blitzes and bringing guys from all over. The Packers hardly used twists or stunts on the defensive line, and they seldom used zone blitzes. The scheme really needs to become more sophisticated.

Good point. It really seemed to me, that the Packers front four just did not match up well against some of the better teams that they played against. Their inability to create pressure on the opposing QB was at times.........disgusting.

I do not know if it is necessarily a lack of playmakers on the D-line, a coaching problem, poor schemes, or what exactly the problem was, but it is something that needs to be addressed in the off season.

woodbuck27
02-07-2008, 01:46 PM
This is going to be a long off season unless MM and TT are prepared and Co - Ordinated in terms of Packers and the next Super Bowl.

I wish I knew what makes TT tick? Wondering if he will be out of the gates fast as FAcy begins, or just go into another one of his shadow boxing routines.

Scott Campbell
02-07-2008, 02:19 PM
This is going to be a long off season unless MM and TT are prepared and Co - Ordinated in terms of Packers and the next Super Bowl.

I wish I knew what makes TT tick? Wondering if he will be out of the gates fast as FAcy begins, or just go into another one of his shadow boxing routines.

Yeah, well that's the same defeatest quitter crap you spewed all last off season, and things turned out pretty good. So I guess we'll see.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-07-2008, 02:24 PM

I hate you Woodbuck. (said in best cartman voice)