PDA

View Full Version : Future First Round Draft Offensive Tackle Michael Oher

woodbuck27
02-05-2008, 02:46 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Oher

Michael Oher (prounounced as in the boat oar)

Position OT , Jersey # 74
Class Junior Career 2005 – present Height 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)
Weight 325 pounds (147.4 kg) Nationality United States
Born May 28, 1986 (1986-05-28) (age 21) Memphis, TN
High school Briarcrest Christian School, Memphis, TN

Michael Jerome Oher (born Michael Jerome Williams Jr. on May 28, 1986) is an American college football player at the University of Mississippi. An offensive lineman, he is commonly regarded as a top prospect for left tackle in the National Football League.

Contents

1 Personal life
2 Football career
3 The Blind Side
4 External links
5 References

Personal life

Oher's father was not involved in his upbringing (and was murdered when he was a junior in high school), and his mother was addicted to crack cocaine. As a result, he received little constructive attention during his formative years. He repeated both first grade and second grade, and attended eleven different schools during his first nine years as a student. He also alternated between time spent in various foster homes and periods with no fixed address until he was sixteen years old.[1]

That year, Oher applied for admission to a private school, Briarcrest Christian School, at the instigation of acquaintance Tony Henderson, with whom he was staying temporarily. Henderson was sending his son to the school in order to fulfill the dying wish of the boy's grandmother, and he decided that Oher might as well come along. Although the school's football coach was interested in Oher, school administrators did not feel that he was capable of handling the school's academic workload due to his scant educational background; however, he was admitted after he attempted to qualify for admission through a home-study program that removed him from the public education system.[1]

A white couple with a daughter at the school, Leigh Anne and Sean Tuohy, allowed Oher to move in with them and began taking care of his needs after becoming familiar with his difficult personal circumstances. They also connected him with a tutor, who worked with him for twenty hours a week, eventually bringing his low-D performance up to a 2.05 grade point average. A series of internet-based courses from Brigham Young University served as replacements for poor marks earned earlier in his academic career, enabling him to become eligible to play football in college.[1]

Football career

Oher didn't play organized football of any kind until his junior year at Briarcrest Christian School, and he did not play left tackle until his senior year. Despite this, he was extremely well regarded as a prospect once he came to the attention of scouts, due to his size and athleticism. ESPN football analyst Tom Lemming ranked him as the #1 offensive line prospect in high school in 2004, and also said, "Michael Oher’s athletic ability and his body — the only thing you could compare it to was Orlando Pace."[1]

After receiving scholarship offers from the University of Tennessee, Louisiana State University, the University of Alabama, and North Carolina State University, among others, Oher ultimately decided to attend the University of Mississippi, the Tuohys' alma mater.[2] His decision was not without controversy. The National Collegiate Athletic Association suspected that the Tuohys had taken Oher in and added him to their wills in order to secure his services as a player for their school, but an investigation did not affect his eligibility. Oher's high school coach Hugh Freeze also created the appearance of possible impropriety by taking a job as UM's assistant athletic director for external affairs twenty days after Oher signed a letter of intent with the school. Freeze claimed that the offer was not an example of quid pro quo for encouraging Oher to attend Mississippi, but rather the result of a pre-existing relationship with Mississippi offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone. [3] The NCAA later ruled that Freeze had committed secondary violations by contacting Memphis-area prospects on behalf of the school before he had officially become an employee.[4]

Oher started in 10 games as a guard during his first season with Mississippi, becoming a first-team freshman All American. He shifted to his natural position of left tackle for the 2006 season, and was named to a variety of preseason All-Conference and All-American teams.[5][6] He currently has a listed height of 6'6" and a listed weight of 322 pounds.[7] He was named a second-team SEC offensive lineman after his sophomore season and a first-team SEC offensive lineman after his junior season.

On January 14, 2008, Oher declared that he would be entering the 2008 NFL Draft.[8]

** On January 16, 2008, Oher announced his withdrawal from the 2008 NFL Draft to return to Ole Miss for his senior season.

The Blind Side

comment woodbuck27 (** this fella may change his mind :D ):

I highly recommend this very fine book.

I especially enjoyed all the parts of discussion on the origin of the West Coast Offense, the reason for the pass as a strategy over the running game and the whys.

The comparison of the styles of Bill Walsh Vs Bill Parcells, and the influence the disciples of these great NFL football minds are having currently on the game we love, in terms of the number of Coach's that have worked under been influenced by their mentorship and methods.

Oher is the subject of Michael Lewis's 2006 book, The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game.

A portion of the book was excerpted before publication in the New York Times Magazine as "The Ballad of Big Mike." The book has been adapted for film and will be directed by John Lee Hancock [10]

woodbuck27
02-05-2008, 02:58 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/magazine/24football.html?ex=1316750400&en=e3741d62a638bb81&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all

The Ballad of BIG MIKE.

woodbuck27
02-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Pic's of Michael Oher.

He's huge - He's athletic- He's aggressive (can be realy mean) - He's very fast - considering his great size HE's actually VV Fast! (approx. a 4.8 - 4.9 40 yards)!

He has huge hands and an awesome smash and pancake in the realist sense. He hurts DLman - dominates!

http://scout.scout.com/PictureGallery.aspx?PlayerId=48559&Title=Michael+Oher

swede
02-05-2008, 04:07 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/magazine/24football.html?ex=1316750400&en=e3741d62a638bb81&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all

The Ballad of BIG MIKE.

That is a fascinating story. It's worthy of a book deal and a movie.

Deputy Nutz
02-05-2008, 07:30 PM
I read the book and it was really nicely done. Micheal Lewis was the same fella that wrote Money Ball. He can really find good stories and make a really compassionate read out of it.

I have been following this kids career since I read the book, unfortunate that he choose such a lowly school, but with family connections I understand. If he was playing at LSU or Florida he would be as big of a house hold name as an offensive linemen could be.

Charles Woodson
02-05-2008, 08:45 PM
just read the story in the NY times, really was a great one, happy for the kid,

woodbuck27
02-07-2008, 12:40 PM
I read the book and it was really nicely done. Micheal Lewis was the same fella that wrote Money Ball. He can really find good stories and make a really compassionate read out of it.

I have been following this kids career since I read the book, unfortunate that he choose such a lowly school, but with family connections I understand. If he was playing at LSU or Florida he would be as big of a house hold name as an offensive linemen could be.

Hi Nutz:

Your a real big OL fella and I'm happy that you discovered this fine read. Yes the author has a fine style and brings the reader close to the subject (slash) people involved in the story. The reader gets to really feel for Michael Oher and other's that make up the story.

I picked the book up on a mere hunch. Once I began to read it, I was hooked and plunged straight through.

I really enjoyed the technical details he got into Re: the reason why the passing game predominates today and grew from it's evolution.

2. How the NFL people with the money and control of the CAP were forced to recognize the top LT's in the NFL with a better payday compared to what it was before FAcy.

3. Also the Bill Parcels Defensive approach to strategy Vs The Bill Walsh West Coast Offense approach.

4. The author placed emphasis on how the average fan miss's it, by concentrating on the exciting play or watching the ball Vs the battle bet. the lines. He also emphasized that before we as fans lay blame on a particular player we have to back up and analyze the play even as it's been called forward, to whatever the muff was. Too often the average fan just doesn't know as they havn't trained themselves to watch the game fr. a full perspective.

Nutz. I did note that although Ole Miss. isn't considered a top college to draft from. It has produced some decent OLman for the NFL. I'm sorry that I can't pass on the names. I should have made note of them but neglected that.

There was also some mention of a current Packer Chad Clifton and a fella that let us down Cletidus Hunt. Wonder what he's up to these days? Higher places possibly? Haha.

Swede:

I beleve that a film (slash) movie is in the works. See the original post this thread or try the link for a verification of that as a fact.