PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy is the shiz nit...

Pacopete4
02-05-2008, 11:22 PM
I've been thinking a lot lately about the pack and I just really forgot how good of a coach we really have, now I didn't say great and thats for a reason. I really think this guy is on his way to becoming a great coach, hes got everything you want in a head coach so far.

Patler
02-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Next season is an important one for him.
It is one thing to be successful when no one expects you to be.
It is a whole different thing to be successful when your are expected to be good and everyone is gunning for you. MM has not yet experienced that type of pre-season pressure and expectations.

BallHawk
02-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Next season is an important one for him.
It is one thing to be successful when no one expects you to be.
It is a whole different thing to be successful when your are expected to be good and everyone is gunning for you. MM has not yet experienced that type of pre-season pressure and expectations.

Well said, Patler. It'll be interesting to see how he deals with the pressure while still maturing as a coach,

vince
02-06-2008, 05:53 AM
Patler, how is it different when teams are "gunning" for the Packers? This is the NFL. Every team is "gunning" for every other team every week. If they're not, they're going to get beat that week.

I've seen enough of McCarthy to know that he does not concern himself with any external "pressure." He is absolutely committed to his his vision and what he's learned about how to achieve it. He will not change his commitment to winning, nor his general approach to achieving it. Sure he'll continue to learn about and adjust game tactics as the team experiences success and failure, but the "pressure" he applies to his own daily life far exceeds that which he'll ever feel from external sources, regardless of how much success or failure the team experiences.

Patler
02-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Sherman changed. Some may have had to do with becoming GM. Some may have had to do with becoming successful after many thought the Packers were dieing after Rhodes. Some may have come from the added pressure of playoff meltdowns season after season. The first couple years the players, writers, everyone thought Sherman was a great guy, a players coach, etc., etc. As the pressures mounted, he became more and more of a control freak. His interviews became more abrupt. He became much less calm than he was the first year or two.

Pressure comes not just from other teams or from yourself, but also from fans, writers, broadcasters, and in Green Bay your neighbors, the store clerk, etc. These past two seasons none of those groups expected much out of the Packers. MM was not asked about the Super Bowl possibilities, a disappointing home field loss in the Championship game, etc. Those will come this year.

So far, he has delivered more than the fans and analysts have expected. Next season, unless he wins the Super Bowl, he will deliver less than what many will expect. It will be different

I'm not saying he won't succeed. Personally I think he will. But next season will be different than what he has experienced in his first two. The Packers will be expected to do well. If they don't, he will be criticized, critiqued and analyzed. His decisions will be second-guessed to e level he has not yet experienced.

That is why I said next year is important for him.

vince
02-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Sherman changed. Some may have had to do with becoming GM. Some may have had to do with becoming successful after many thought the Packers were dieing after Rhodes. Some may have come from the added pressure of playoff meltdowns season after season. The first couple years the players, writers, everyone thought Sherman was a great guy, a players coach, etc., etc. As the pressures mounted, he became more and more of a control freak. His interviews became more abrupt. He became much less calm than he was the first year or two.

Pressure comes not just from other teams or from yourself, but also from fans, writers, broadcasters, and in Green Bay your neighbors, the store clerk, etc. These past two seasons none of those groups expected much out of the Packers. MM was not asked about the Super Bowl possibilities, a disappointing home field loss in the Championship game, etc. Those will come this year.

So far, he has delivered more than the fans and analysts have expected. Next season, unless he wins the Super Bowl, he will deliver less than what many will expect. It will be different

I'm not saying he won't succeed. Personally I think he will. But next season will be different than what he has experienced in his first two. The Packers will be expected to do well. If they don't, he will be criticized, critiqued and analyzed. His decisions will be second-guessed to e level he has not yet experienced.

You da man Patler. I agree with you when you say that you think McCarthy will be unfazed by these pressures. He is a strong-willed individual who doesn't get flustered by media questioning and pressure.

Slightly off subject, but I do agree with those who say that McCarthy erred by keeping the players in the heat 100% of the time in the weeks preceding cold games. IMO, his team was negatively impacted by the cold, and while I agree with his decision to not discuss this publicly, I personally hope he saw that as well and makes some adjustment as the team goes into next winter.

The Leaper
02-06-2008, 08:08 AM
I don't think it is so much the other teams as the players on your team that you are coaching. It is easier to motivate a team when they are underdogs...when they can motivate themselves by negativity in the media and from fans.

When you are the top dog, it is harder to motivate yourself. That is why most Super Bowl losers bomb out the next year...the team has high expectations, but the players find it hard to motivate themselves after getting that close but not getting the job done...and they might not buy into the coach's philosophy as easily. That is where the coach is going to face a new challenge.

cpk1994
02-06-2008, 08:11 AM

You da man Patler. I agree with you when you say that you think McCarthy will be unfazed by these pressures. He is a strong-willed individual who doesn't get flustered by media questioning and pressure.

Slightly off subject, but I do agree with those who say that McCarthy erred by keeping the players in the heat 100% of the time in the weeks preceding cold games. IMO, his team was negatively impacted by the cold, and while I agree with his decision to not discuss this publicly, I personally hope he saw that as well and makes some adjustment as the team goes into next winter.That whole argument about not practicing in the cold is an absloute crock!. THey never went outside before beating Oakland. THey never went outside before beating Detroit. They weren't outside before beatnig Seattle. All it is is a convnient excuse for people to explain the loss.
A past example. Mike Holmgren didn't hold practice outside before the NFC title game against Carolina did he?

Patler
02-06-2008, 08:39 AM
Slightly off subject, but I do agree with those who say that McCarthy erred by keeping the players in the heat 100% of the time in the weeks preceding cold games. IMO, his team was negatively impacted by the cold, and while I agree with his decision to not discuss this publicly, I personally hope he saw that as well and makes some adjustment as the team goes into next winter.

One article said the practice field heat was off, and the doors were left open during the day, so the temperature during practices was not that much different than out doors at the time.

Patler
02-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Not to kill the discussion, but what is a "shiz nit" ????

MJZiggy
02-06-2008, 08:47 AM

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shiz-nit

Definition #2 made me laugh...

Zool
02-06-2008, 08:52 AM

And while you're there look up Superman.

MJZiggy
02-06-2008, 08:53 AM
I don't need to look that up, thanks. And by the way...EWWW!!

Pacopete4
02-06-2008, 09:23 AM

Are you calling me a retard MJZiggy? haha, I'm just a white boy from up north and was having a little fun is all

MJZiggy
02-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Laughing at the definition, not it's application... :P

Pacopete4
02-06-2008, 09:31 AM
it got me a good laugh too.. i couldn't agree more with the definition

Patler
02-06-2008, 10:22 AM

I thought it sounded a bit Yiddish to me, so I accessed a Yiddish dictionary:

"Shiz" - non-Jewish girl; maiden
"nit" - not, or none

Cheesehead Craig
02-06-2008, 12:34 PM

I thought it sounded a bit Yiddish to me, so I accessed a Yiddish dictionary:

"Shiz" - non-Jewish girl; maiden
"nit" - not, or none
So that would be a non-non-Jewish girl, so a Gentile.

MJZiggy
02-06-2008, 12:40 PM
No, it's a non-gentile (double negative) so it must be a Muslim or girl of another religion?

HarveyWallbangers
02-06-2008, 12:43 PM
I'm not sure this season is that important. It's not like he'll get canned if they have a bad season. He'll get time to prove his worth. I've liked him since his first training camp--after watching it on the the NFL Network. A lot of good coaches have not been successful though. Some times things just don't work out (e.g. what if Aaron Rodgers is that solution at QB?). I think Coach Mac has what it takes to be successful.

vince
02-06-2008, 07:49 PM
That whole argument about not practicing in the cold is an absloute crock!. THey never went outside before beating Oakland. THey never went outside before beating Detroit. They weren't outside before beatnig Seattle. All it is is a convnient excuse for people to explain the loss.
A past example. Mike Holmgren didn't hold practice outside before the NFC title game against Carolina did he?
The "cold" games that the Packers played well weren't very cold. 20-30 degrees with little or no wind is good football weather.

The Packers didn't move the ball well offensively or play particularly well on D both times the windchill dipped down into negative digits. That's the kind of cold that impacted them more than it impacted the Bears and Giants.

Perhaps it was the kind of offensive and defensive game the Packers like to play relative to the Bears and Giants, but I don't think so. I know for a fact that the Giants practiced outside and got acclimated to working in that kind of brutal weather before the NFC Championship game.

The footballs in the freezer gag isn't quite the same as -25 windchill slapping you in the face...

Cheesehead Craig
02-07-2008, 09:31 AM
That whole argument about not practicing in the cold is an absloute crock!. THey never went outside before beating Oakland. THey never went outside before beating Detroit. They weren't outside before beatnig Seattle. All it is is a convnient excuse for people to explain the loss.
The "cold" games that the Packers played well weren't very cold. 20-30 degrees with little or no wind is good football weather.

The Packers didn't move the ball well offensively or play particularly well on D both times the windchill dipped down into negative digits. That's the kind of cold that impacted them more than it impacted the Bears and Giants.

Perhaps it was the kind of offensive and defensive game the Packers like to play relative to the Bears and Giants, but I don't think so. I know for a fact that the Giants practiced outside and got acclimated to working in that kind of brutal weather before the NFC Championship game.

The footballs in the freezer gag isn't quite the same as -25 windchill slapping you in the face...
The Giants game we were outcoached. Given we lost by 3 in OT after being dominated how we were, it was more of a testament to the players that we stayed that close with the bad game plan.

Chicago was fluke game where our special teams were absolutely horrible and the primary reason we lost that game. Add in that MM really didn't prep well either.

woodbuck27
02-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Patler, how is it different when teams are "gunning" for the Packers? This is the NFL. Every team is "gunning" for every other team every week. If they're not, they're going to get beat that week.

I've seen enough of McCarthy to know that he does not concern himself with any external "pressure." He is absolutely committed to his his vision and what he's learned about how to achieve it. He will not change his commitment to winning, nor his general approach to achieving it. Sure he'll continue to learn about and adjust game tactics as the team experiences success and failure, but the "pressure" he applies to his own daily life far exceeds that which he'll ever feel from external sources, regardless of how much success or failure the team experiences.

Vince YOUR MM's motivational and lifestyles coach arn't you? :D

Get your ass into Ted Thompson's office and slam the door.