PDA

View Full Version : If Brett comes back, should TT go for Moss (again)?

Fosco33
02-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Randy Moss only had a one year contract at NE.

He stated how he would've played with the Pack if they'd 'treated him better'. I think adding him could really expand the passing offense and give a shot in the arm needed for a deep playoff run. So I say, sure - see what happens!

If you think so, what's your offer?

Jimx29
02-06-2008, 12:12 AM
fuck no :|

Merlin
02-06-2008, 01:11 AM
There is zero chance of that happening. 3T won't pay the 7-8M that the franchise tag will carry. And if a player is franchised, I don't think they can go anywhere. Watch for the Pats to do that and for Moss to want to stay anyway.

twoseven
02-06-2008, 05:22 AM
There is absolutely no way that the Patriots let Moss get away, unless somebody offers him a deal that even they can't match. He caught too many TDs, Brady needs him, same for Moss as I doubt he could get a better deal in any other offense. He stays, but at the cost of others leaving. This should stamp Samuel's walking papers.

b bulldog
02-06-2008, 07:31 AM
they might franchise Moss and Brady will be getting a contract extension this offseason. They also might extend Stallworth and a few younger guys so they can creates cap space and really put them into cap hell in a few years.

MJZiggy
02-06-2008, 07:33 AM
There is zero chance of that happening. 3T won't pay the 7-8M that the franchise tag will carry. And if a player is franchised, I don't think they can go anywhere. Watch for the Pats to do that and for Moss to want to stay anyway.

If Moss wants to stay, they work out a contract, they don't franchise him--there's no need.

b bulldog
02-06-2008, 07:42 AM
They will franchise him cause they and many football people think he may only have a few good years left so give him his money now so you don't kill yourself later.

vince
02-06-2008, 07:47 AM
They will franchise him cause they and many football people think he may only have a few good years left so give him his money now so you don't kill yourself later.
A disgruntled Randy Moss can do a lot of damage.

The Leaper
02-06-2008, 07:51 AM
Our team's primary needs going into next season do not include the WR position...and our money would be better spent on the interior OL and secondary.

Deputy Nutz
02-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Our team's primary needs going into next season do not include the WR position...and our money would be better spent on the interior OL and secondary.

Our wide receiver position isn't in need of a number one or two receiver, but the bottom two receivers on this team are at best average receivers in this league. Martin is extremely slow, and you can't even call him quick. He gets lost in zone coverage, or gets a good bump on a defensive back he can get seperation, but in reality he could be gone tomorrow and this team wouldn't miss him. Robinson makes a nice story if you can find sympathy for a habitual drunk driver, but his best days on the field might be history. He was slow, really slow returning kicks, and outside of the fact that Favre looked for him when he was in the game, he isn't a polished receiver by any means. This team can do better.

I truly expect Thompson to take another receiver in the top three rounds of the draft to either replace Martin or Robinson. The Packers are going to see Donald Driver get up there in years, and sure Jennings and hopefully Jones will be ready to step in for Driver when he departs, but what is truly behind those two guys? The Packers would have no legit #3 receiver, and it take time to build a receiver to contribute to a team, so why not start now.

Zool
02-06-2008, 08:27 AM

Our wide receiver position isn't in need of a number one or two receiver, but the bottom two receivers on this team are at best average receivers in this league. Martin is extremely slow, and you can't even call him quick. He gets lost in zone coverage, or gets a good bump on a defensive back he can get seperation, but in reality he could be gone tomorrow and this team wouldn't miss him. Robinson makes a nice story if you can find sympathy for a habitual drunk driver, but his best days on the field might be history. He was slow, really slow returning kicks, and outside of the fact that Favre looked for him when he was in the game, he isn't a polished receiver by any means. This team can do better.

I truly expect Thompson to take another receiver in the top three rounds of the draft to either replace Martin or Robinson. The Packers are going to see Donald Driver get up there in years, and sure Jennings and hopefully Jones will be ready to step in for Driver when he departs, but what is truly behind those two guys? The Packers would have no legit #3 receiver, and it take time to build a receiver to contribute to a team, so why not start now.

Agreed. You're not going to hit a Jennings every time. Need a WR who is quick more so than fast like Driver or Welker. Someone who can get over the middle and make a guy or 2 miss then hit the big gain.

Partial
02-06-2008, 08:31 AM
WWWoodbuckD

RashanGary
02-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Brett doesn't need Randy Moss to have a great year.

Pacopete4
02-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Even though I really think Favre could have a 50 TD season like Brady with Moss.. now that its been done I think the next QB to get Moss will fail due to the enormous pressure to get him 20+ TDs in a season

denverYooper
02-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Ruck
Mandy
Foss.

MJZiggy
02-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Ruck
Mandy
Foss.

Well stated...If he wasn't going to work within the confines of being part of a team the first time, what makes you guys think that he's going to be any more willing to be a cooperative team player in M3's system now?

packinpatland
02-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Won't he be in jail by next year anyway? :wink:

Patler
02-06-2008, 10:29 AM
From what little I saw of him in 2006, I liked Carlyle Holiday better than Martin. He has good size, and is faster and quicker than Martin, but by no means compared to top receivers. However, he did a decent job returning punts his last year at Notre Dame, and as a sometimes running QB his earlier years. Holiday was on IR all season.

the_idle_threat
02-06-2008, 10:39 AM
I agree on Carlyle Holiday, although a year off on IR is a concern. I'll be interested to see what he brings in Minicamps and TC. I think TT will draft at least one receiver also. No need for Moss.

And in any case, I don't think Moss will appreciate McCarthy's tough attitude any more this year than he did last year. Not gonna happen.

It's just as well, too. I'd rather they spend that money on pass rush or the interior O line. As we saw in the Super Bowl, superior line play beats even a record-breaking deep passing game.

I'm even changing my mind a little bit on re-signing Corey Williams. If they can get him back---even overpaying a little bit---then it may be worth it if he can be used as a designated interior pass rusher like Justin Tuck. I still don't think they should pay him like a Pro-Bowler, though, so if the bidding gets that high I still think they need to bow out.

Patler
02-06-2008, 11:06 AM
I agree on Carlyle Holiday, although a year off on IR is a concern. I'll be interested to see what he brings in Minicamps and TC. I think TT will draft at least one receiver also. No need for Moss.
I'm even changing my mind a little bit on re-signing Corey Williams. If they can get him back---even overpaying a little bit---then it may be worth it if he can be used as a designated interior pass rusher like Justin Tuck. I still don't think they should pay him like a Pro-Bowler, though, so if the bidding gets that high I still think they need to bow out.

I don't think Holiday's injury was a real serious one, but with Holiday banged up after the first game or two, and Jennings hurt, etc. they were down to just Driver, Jones and Martin who were healthy. They re-signed Bodiford or Francies, I don't remember which, and moved Holiday to IR. I don't recall Holiday having surgery, or anything. May have just been an MCL or something, but they couldn't wait for him to heal.

I also would like to see Williams stick around, but I'm not sure it is likely. Good for him if someone overpays. He has worked hard in GB and has not complained. I will not complain about his success if he leaves.

the_idle_threat
02-06-2008, 12:37 PM
I don't think Holiday's injury was a real serious one, but with Holiday banged up after the first game or two, and Jennings hurt, etc. they were down to just Driver, Jones and Martin who were healthy. They re-signed Bodiford or Francies, I don't remember which, and moved Holiday to IR. I don't recall Holiday having surgery, or anything. May have just been an MCL or something, but they couldn't wait for him to heal.

I hope the injury wasn't serious, because I like Holiday. But I also recall it was an injury to his wheels (sources I can find now just say "knee injury" without elaboration), and you have to be at least a little concerned about that kind of injury to a guy who was already a marginal roster guy. If he's lost any speed or particularly his explosiveness, he moves down a notch to arena-league talent. It's enough to be a minor concern, but I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude. As I say, I'll be really interested to see how he looks in the camps.

I also would like to see Williams stick around, but I'm not sure it is likely. Good for him if someone overpays. He has worked hard in GB and has not complained. I will not complain about his success if he leaves.

I'll feel the same about him as I did about Ahman Green---I'll be happy for him that he got a big time deal, but I'll be glad the Packers didn't pay it.

woodbuck27
02-07-2008, 02:04 PM
I have a hunch that as it played out in NE that Randy Moss is on his way elswewhere, but maybe I read too much into then fact he was almost ignored in the playoff's.

As in Belichick thinking screw Randy Moss (and all that hype for Randy Moss) as it's really me (as it should be by the way as the Headcoach) I'm so DAM good I can win without him.

The Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre and Randy Moss and Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy all on the same page?

That's just too logical again as I see it. Now that or LOGICAL and what's sitting in as OUR GM have little in common. Now that's again just me and how I see it. I really hate to offend anyone here.

I (WE) may get a wonderful surprize?

Ted Thompson may come off the glue ( just a matter of speech - not serious TT lover's) this off season and give us a real chance.

Then I look at this Forum and see the Packer fan response to any possibility of Randy Moss in Green bay and I'm again as always shocked. A lot of people here don't appreciate Randy Moss,even despise Randy Moss.

So Good Grief why should we hope to win a Super Bowl?

PACKERS FOREVER!

Scott Campbell
02-07-2008, 02:26 PM
That's just too logical again as I see it. Now that or LOGICAL and what's sitting in as OUR GM have little in common.

I'm comforted that our GM has little in common with your twisted definition of logical. It's not at all logical that we make a run at Randy Moss given the current roster. Not at all logical. At all. Not even geriatric Canadian logic.

What is important is that our GM has quite a bit in common with the 13-3 record this team just accomplished. I hope he does it again by whatever means necessary, and despite your petty hatred of the guy.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Maybe I missed it, but did Randy Moss win the super bowl.

What guarantee do we have that we win the SB with him? Will Randy be playing CB?

Patler
02-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Who becomes the third receiver if Moss is signed?
Driver?
Jennings?
MOSS?

Sure Moss might make the receivers better, but does he make an $8 million dollar difference, or $9, $10, $11 million or whatever it costs per year to sign him?

Does he make a Super Bowl difference???

Scott Campbell
02-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Who becomes the third receiver if Moss is signed?
Driver?
Jennings?
MOSS?

Sure Moss might make the receivers better, but does he make an $8 million dollar difference, or $9, $10, $11 million or whatever it costs per year to sign him?

Does he make a Super Bowl difference???

I think the point is moot - it ain't a gonna happen. It's too illogical.

Fosco33
02-07-2008, 03:42 PM
I love getting people's panties in a bunch in here. Just classic.

Moss just broke the TD record and if he wanted to play here for the right price and Favre could use him - people would shy away from it...

We went 5 wide almost ALL year. SO who cares who's #3???

I say if (A HUGE IF) Moss looked at GB (5% chance):
Driver
Moss
Jennings