PDA

View Full Version : Skiing/Snowboarding

Partial
02-06-2008, 12:29 AM
I have never done this. I feel this is a shame.

Are there any good places to go snowboarding in Wisconsin?

GoPackGo
02-06-2008, 09:00 AM
http://www.skireport.com/wisconsin/

go to Devil's Head, Cascade, or Granite Peak

Scott Campbell
02-06-2008, 09:05 AM
If there were "good" places to go, I'd still live there.

Deputy Nutz
02-06-2008, 09:08 AM
If there were "good" places to go, I'd still live there.

I was about to say the same thing. It is quite depressing to pay 45.00 dollars to go when I spend more time in the lift than I do the slopes.

GoPackGo
02-06-2008, 09:33 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
All of the above is true, but you have to start somewhere. I started skiing in Wisconsin at Tyrol Basin and Devil's head. Now I can ski and snowboard and I was snowboarding 10,000 feet above sea level on Superbowl Sunday!

http://www.arizonasnowbowl.com/

GoPackGo
02-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Has anybody ever Skiied in Pennsylvania?

Partial
02-06-2008, 10:04 AM
My friend has a cabin near big powderhorn in Michigan. Have any of you ever been there? It's kind of expensive to make a weekend of it when you factor in gas, but it might be fun to go check it out.

hurleyfan
02-06-2008, 10:09 AM
I love to ski! Trouble is here in the Northeast, we'll go for long stretches of time with out natural snow, so we get mostly man made.. Then add in the sometimes warmer temps, and we get lots of ice!

p.s. Newbie "shredders" are a pain in the butt! Sliding down the hill with board perpendicular to trail, acting like a snowplow!

Suppose same could be said for newbie skiers!!

Badgepack
02-06-2008, 10:14 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
All of the above is true, but you have to start somewhere. I started skiing in Wisconsin at Tyrol Basin and Devil's head. Now I can ski and snowboard and I was snowboarding 12,000 feet above sea level on Superbowl Sunday!

http://www.arizonasnowbowl.com/

Man, we used to get trashed and try to ski at Tyrol many years ago, had a blast.

Scott Campbell
02-06-2008, 10:59 AM
I guess I sound like a ski snob. I'd suggest that anywhere will do when you are a beginner. You won't be ready for 3000 vertical feet for a while anyway. It is nice to have softer snow rather than ice. It makes the sport much more learnable and enjoyable. So that is why its nice if you can pick and choose when you go, right up until the last minute.

It can be a very expensive sport, or it can be pretty reasonable if you can do it the way I do it, with a season pass. And its a lifetime sport that you can easily participate in well into your 70's and sometimes 80's. My family regularly gets all 3 generations out on the hill.

Its still as much fun today as when I was a kid. But god I hurt afterwards.

MadtownPacker
02-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Youre too fat to ski Partial. I suggest monster trucking instead.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Since i partake in both, i would suggest that you start with skiing if you are gonna do it where there is no powder.

If you board for the first time, you are gonna be on your ass quite a bit. Not so fun on packed snow.

hurleyfan
02-06-2008, 12:59 PM
If you board for the first time, you are gonna be on your ass quite a bit. Not so fun on packed snow.

I can attest to that :oops:

Never got the hang of boarding, so I'm sticking to the skis

Tyrone Bigguns
02-06-2008, 01:15 PM

I can attest to that :oops:

Never got the hang of boarding, so I'm sticking to the skis

My first time i bruised a rib when i wiped out and fell on my walky talky. Couldn't do anything for a month.

On midwestern snow..two edges are better than one.

Freak Out
02-06-2008, 01:37 PM
I live to ski....both Alpine and Nordic. I have bought a seasons pass at
http://www.alyeskaresort.com/ for going on 35 years or so now. The long winter up here can get to you but the skiing is always pretty good. There is so much backcountry it's nuts.

Scott Campbell
02-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Freak Out,

What kind of light is there up in Alaska? Daylight, or lightbulbs?

Scott Campbell
02-06-2008, 09:47 PM
With some of the ridiculously wide skiis out there now I don't see the point in snowboarding.

packinpatland
02-06-2008, 09:59 PM
My friend has a cabin near big powderhorn in Michigan. Have any of you ever been there? It's kind of expensive to make a weekend of it when you factor in gas, but it might be fun to go check it out.

I skied there in high school............it's still there? The mountain hasn't like....worn away after all this time? :wink:

Freak Out
02-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Freak Out,

What kind of light is there up in Alaska? Daylight, or lightbulbs?

Anything but full on south face is still pretty flat this time of year...the lights make it better. You try and adapt...lens have come a long way but it's still hard to avoid some nasty whiteout conditions...and when tree-line is only 4000 feet...well, you know what I mean. White on white is white. That is one of the drawbacks to that area...the ridges to the south block some good light. I love the backcountry so you have limited time to get in and out...I winter camp sometimes.

Partial
02-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Youre too fat to ski Partial. I suggest monster trucking instead.

:lol:

Partial
02-06-2008, 11:53 PM

I skied there in high school............it's still there? The mountain hasn't like....worn away after all this time? :wink:

Is it any good?

packinpatland
02-07-2008, 06:06 AM

Is it any good?

It was then.

Scott Campbell
02-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Hope this doesn't discourage you.

KEYSTONE, Colorado (AP) -- John McWethy, a retired ABC News correspondent who had to flee the Pentagon after the 2001 attacks but continued reporting live, died Wednesday after a skiing accident. He was 61.

John McWethy, right, shares a laugh in 2002 with former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld in Washington.
1 of 2

Witnesses said McWethy was skiing fast on an intermediate trail when he missed a turn and slid chest-first into a tree, Summit County Coroner Joanne L. Richardson said. McWethy died of blunt force injuries, she said.

Keystone Ski Resort spokeswoman Kate Lessman told The Denver Post that McWethy was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.

McWethy and his wife, Laurie Duncan, moved to Boulder after he retired to be closer to ski slopes and golf courses, ABC News President David Westin said in a statement. Before then, McWethy had been ABC News' chief national security correspondent.

Len Ackland of the University of Colorado's Center for Environmental Journalism told The Denver Post that his longtime friend "was a very humble guy."

Ackland told the paper that McWethy "didn't talk about himself much. He was the kind of journalist who didn't want to be out front. It was always about the story, not about him. He was the kind of guy you enjoyed sitting down to have a beer with."

McWethy left behind two sons, Adam, 28, and Ian, 24, according to the Post.

His wife, who was with McWethy at the time of the accident, told the Post her husband was a good skier who enjoyed living in Colorado.

"He loved it here," Duncan told the paper. "I think he loved the beauty of its nature, the open spaces, the wildlife, everything."

On September 11, 2001, McWethy fled the Pentagon after a hijacked airliner crashed into the building, but he kept reporting from a nearby lawn, Westin recalled.

"He was one of those very rare reporters who knew his beat better than anyone, and had developed more sources than anyone, and yet, kept his objectivity," Westin said.

After working as a reporter for U.S. News & World Report, McWethy joined ABC News in 1979 and went on to cover conflicts in Bosnia, Kosovo and Liberia, according to the ABC News Web site.

McWethy was the network's primary reporter assigned to secretaries of state James Baker, George Shultz, Warren Christopher and Lawrence Eagleburger, ABC said, and he had traveled to more than 50 nations, including the Soviet Union and Afghanistan.

McWethy was honored with at least five national Emmy Awards during his time at ABC and also received an Alfred I. duPont-Columbia Award and an Overseas Press Club Award, according to ABC News' Web site.

He was awarded an honorary doctorate by his alma mater, DePauw University, and had a master's degree from Columbia University's journalism school.

McWethy was raised in LaGrange, Illinois, according to The Denver Post, and he graduated from Lyons Township High School in 1965. E-mail to a friend

MJZiggy
02-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Geez between him and Sonny, the whole sport's gonna go right down the tubes! RIP John.

Partial
02-07-2008, 12:01 PM
I think I will try this sport out Saturday at Crystal Ridge. I hear it sucks but I have never done it before so it'll be fun. What do I all need to go snowboarding?

red
02-07-2008, 12:08 PM
i think i've skied powderhorn before. its not bad. its no colorado hill, but its nice for the midwest

i just went skiing for the first time in about 9 or 10 years this last weekend. it hurt like hell, but i forgot how much fun it is. we went to brule which is a couple hours east of powderhorn.

it was a little icy though

Zool
02-07-2008, 12:12 PM
I think I will try this sport out Saturday at Crystal Ridge. I hear it sucks but I have never done it before so it'll be fun. What do I all need to go snowboarding?

Tailbone protector, health insurance and prayer.

Scott Campbell
02-07-2008, 12:59 PM

1st time? I'd suggest wrist guards. And if its icy and your renting equipment at the hill, I'd get skiis instead.

Freak Out
02-07-2008, 01:04 PM

If you are going with the snowboard get a helmet and some padded gear if you can find it......and as SC pointed out wrist guards. Start out small dude...no big hills right off the bat or you could get hurt and discouraged.

GoPackGo
02-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Pic I took from the upperbowl yesterday right before I went down through many feet of deep powder.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/jpopp79/Snowbowl-upperbowl-2-23-08-.jpg

Freak Out
02-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Pic I took from the upperbowl yesterday right before I went down through many feet of deep powder.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/jpopp79/Snowbowl-upperbowl-2-23-08-.jpg

Very nice. Wonderful light as well.

b bulldog
02-24-2008, 08:26 PM
The keeweena? peninsula in the UP of Michigan has a few good hills but you need to be experienced to do them. They are back country hills and usually the snow is at least at waist level. They average around 300+ inches of snow there.

GrnBay007
02-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Wow, great pic GoPack!

GoPackGo
02-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks.

Partial
02-27-2008, 10:24 AM
http://www.whiskeymilitia.com/
and
http://www.steepandcheap.com

are doing woot-off style ski and snowboard sales exclusively today. All ski is sandc, snowboards are at whiskeymilitia.

Partial
02-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Well, I messed up my ankle something fierce in the first ten minutes of snowboarding this weekend after a 6 hour drive. Lame.