PDA

View Full Version : Jim Mora to succeed Holmgren!!!

Patler
02-06-2008, 11:10 AM
To be announced today, to follow Holmgren in 2009:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8068a654&template=without-video&confirm=true

MJZiggy
02-06-2008, 12:03 PM
How often does it happen that the new coach is named when the old one still has a year left with the team?

Tyrone Bigguns
02-06-2008, 12:21 PM
How often does it happen that the new coach is named when the old one still has a year left with the team?

Not that common, but locking up potential coaches earlier and earlier seems to be the case. Caldwell in Indy, Garrett in Dallas, etc.

Holmgren is leaving after 08, no big deal naming his successor..plus it keeps other teams from sniffing around Mora.

Patler
02-06-2008, 12:22 PM

Not too often, but as the article mentioned, the Colts recently announced that Caldwell will succeed Dungy, but did not specify when.

Bringing the heir-apparent in to work in the organization makes sense with businesses, NFL front-offices, etc. I wonder about with the head coach, however. Does it make it difficult for the successor to bring in his own assistants? Does he feel obligated to retain guys he has worked with over the past few seasons? Does the front office expect him not to? Does he feel obligated to retain the former coach's philosophies?

MJZiggy
02-06-2008, 12:25 PM
I also wonder if this doesn't usurp the standing coach's authority just a little because players know that it's Mora they're going to have to deal with in the future and not Holmgren.

Tarlam!
02-06-2008, 12:41 PM
I also wonder if this doesn't usurp the standing coach's authority

Now that is a cool word. I love that word!

MadtownPacker
02-06-2008, 12:54 PM
I also wonder if this doesn't usurp the standing coach's authority just a little because players know that it's Mora they're going to have to deal with in the future and not Holmgren.Yeah, Im sure the players are gonna side with the loser ex-atlanta coach vs the SB winning one who has gotten them to the playoffs the last few year. :roll:

Patler
02-06-2008, 01:03 PM
I also wonder if this doesn't usurp the standing coach's authority just a little because players know that it's Mora they're going to have to deal with in the future and not Holmgren.Yeah, Im sure the players are gonna side with the loser ex-atlanta coach vs the SB winning one who has gotten them to the playoffs the last few year. :roll:

On the other hand, their long term interests are best served by not getting on the bad side of the coach-in-waiting.

Patler
02-06-2008, 01:04 PM
I also wonder if this doesn't usurp the standing coach's authority just a little because players know that it's Mora they're going to have to deal with in the future and not Holmgren.

Also makes you wonder who ultimately will make certain decisions, the guy who has one year left, or the guy who will have to live with the results of the decisions for the next 5 years.

MJZiggy
02-06-2008, 01:11 PM
It's gonna be interesting to keep an eye on.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Tempest in a teapot.

Mora was the assistant HC already. EVERYONE already knew it was coming.

This was done to make sure Mora didn't start interviewing elsewhere and other teams didn't call to ask to interview him.

Patler
02-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Tempest in a teapot.

This was done to make sure Mora didn't start interviewing elsewhere and other teams didn't call to ask to interview him.

Well, obviously. But until it is announced officially it has no real import. People may have assumed Mora would take over, but now it is a certainty.

Sort of like Jones taking over as President of the Packers....well, maybe not! :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
02-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Tempest in a teapot.

Well, obviously. But until it is announced officially it has no real import. People may have assumed Mora would take over, but now it is a certainty.

Sort of like Jones taking over as President of the Packers....well, maybe not! :lol:

I just was referring to the Seattle org.

packinpatland
02-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Why would Seattle let Holmgren say he was coming back for one more year....and then, I would think, embarass him like this?

Tyrone Bigguns
02-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Why would Seattle let Holmgren say he was coming back for one more year....and then, I would think, embarass him like this?

What are you talking about?

AtlPackFan
02-06-2008, 02:55 PM

Not that common, but locking up potential coaches earlier and earlier seems to be the case. Caldwell in Indy, Garrett in Dallas, etc.

Holmgren is leaving after 08, no big deal naming his successor..plus it keeps other teams from sniffing around Mora.

People in Atlanta are going to be wondering why the hell anyone would want Mora.

AtlPackFan
02-06-2008, 02:59 PM

Yeah, I would look at what he did here in Atlanta and - as a player - be concerned. Of course Belichek bombed in Cleveland before finding Nirvana in New England. Ya think players in Seattle think Mora will be the second coming of Belichek? Don't think so.

KYPack
02-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Between his taking over and now, Mora COULD say something stupid and talk himself out of a job. He's done that shit before, ya know.

packinpatland
02-06-2008, 04:09 PM

From the article:

"Holmgren, a veteran of 16 seasons as an NFL head coach, announced on Jan. 22 that he would be returning for a 10th and final season at the helm of the Seahawks next season to fullfil the final season of his contract."

I don't know, from the 22nd until now, did he think he was still the coach?

MJZiggy
02-06-2008, 04:15 PM
He's returning next season and Mora's taking over in '09.

packinpatland
02-06-2008, 04:16 PM
I've been looking all day for my glasses............that's my excuse and I'm trying to stick with it. :oops:

Tyrone Bigguns
02-06-2008, 04:31 PM

From the article:

"Holmgren, a veteran of 16 seasons as an NFL head coach, announced on Jan. 22 that he would be returning for a 10th and final season at the helm of the Seahawks next season to fullfil the final season of his contract."

That was my kind way of letting you know to go back and READ.

Not to repost and continue looking dumb. :roll:

packinpatland
02-06-2008, 04:34 PM

From the article:

That was my kind way of letting you know to go back and READ.

Not to repost and continue looking dumb. :roll:

Go ahead rub it in, I deserve it. Think I could throw in, besides the glasses, that I am old?..........I almost got my AARP card. :wink:

Patler
02-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Think I could throw in, besides the glasses, that I am old?..........I almost got my AARP card. :wink:

AT least your kids aren't looking to soon have theirs!

packinpatland
02-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Think I could throw in, besides the glasses, that I am old?..........I almost got my AARP card. :wink:

AT least your kids aren't looking to soon have theirs!

..........I feel so much better, errr, I mean , younger. :lol: