PDA

View Full Version : Chris Havel : Bubba Franks likes offense, TE's more involved

motife
05-24-2006, 02:02 AM
Chris Havel
Seeing is believing for Franks
The past has taught Bubba Franks to be skeptical. The present is encouraging him to stay open-minded.

Mike McCarthy has made it clear to everyone who is listening that he intends to utilize the tight ends in this offense. The Green Bay Packers’ coach has stressed the importance of the tight ends since his initial news conference here.

He has done everything but change his name to Mike “Bubbaâà ¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚ McCarthy to get that message across. Two practices into his second offseason minicamp, Daniel “Bubbaâà ¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚ Franks is starting to believe it. That is because he is beginning to see it.

“You hear that every year, over and over, that we’re going to throw to the tight ends, and I’m getting pretty (wise) to this stuff,” Franks said. “I believe it, though, because it’s been emphasized.”

Big part of plan

Offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski coached the tight ends under former Packers coaches Ray Rhodes in 1999 and Mike Sherman from 2000-2003.

“Iââ⠀šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ve always had to battle for (using the tight ends),” he said. “Itââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s huge. We’ve got to get the tight ends involved, especially with the ones we’ve got. Those guys should catch five, six balls a game. They should have 60, 70 catches before it’s over. When that deal with the tight ends is effective, it forces teams to defend the middle of the field.”

Franks, 28, is a consummate pro. He felt neglected at times but seldom expressed his dissatisfaction. He would grit his teeth, play hard and hope for the best. Now, he likes what he is hearing in the meetings and seeing on the practice field.

“We have a lot bigger role in the offense,” he said. “Youâ⠂¬â„¢re going to see more than one tight end in the game a lot more often. Our role is expanded. He (Jagodzinski) isn’t the type of coach that’s going to lie, so I trust him.”

David Martin, a sixth-year pro, has talent but lacks consistency. Fourth-year pro Donald Lee, like Martin, can stretch defenses. Neither is the run blocker Franks is, but they seem anxious to learn the zone-blocking scheme.

The tight ends have the potential to be among the Packers’ best position groups.

‘Trying to get better’

It is why Franks, Martin and Lee are at this voluntary minicamp, and it is why they have been regulars in the offseason workout program.

“This is the type of (weight) training I do in the offseason in Miami,” Franks said. “When you’ve got a lot of guys here training together, you can’t help but get closer.”

Franks’ work ethic and experience with free weights has had a curious effect on several of the younger players. They are gravitating toward him, relying on him and emulating him. That doesn’t happen if he isn’t here in the offseason.

“Trying to get better,” he said Friday. “This is a new offense. You don’t want to come in here to training camp not really having things down pat. I want to go in knowing this offense like the back of my hand.”

When Franks and Co. get their chance, they don’t intend to drop the ball.

Joemailman
05-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Packer Tight Ends under Holmgren caught about the same number of passes per year as they did under Sherman. The difference was in the yards per catch. Whereas under Holmgren the Tight Ends were used to stretch the middle of the field, under Sherman they were used primarily as a safety valve, and on the goal line. Some will argue that Holmgren's Tight Ends had more talent. However, even in Holmgren's first year, Ed West had more YPC than any of Sherman's Tight Ends. It sounds like McCarthy wants to utilize the Tight End as Holmgren did.

The Leaper
05-24-2006, 09:04 AM
1995: Chmura/Jackson - 67-821-8
1996: Chmura/Jackson - 68-875-10
1997: Chmura/Thomason - 47-532-7
1998: Chmura/Davis - 65-804-11
1999: Davis/Thomason - 34-344-4
2000: Franks/Davis - 53-540-3
2001: Franks/Martin - 49-466-10
2002: Franks/Davis - 63-549-8
2003: Franks/Walls - 50-463-5
2004: Franks/Martin - 39-449-7
2005: Lee/Martin/Franks - 85-725-6

Honestly, it seems that the TE receiving numbers took a rather noticeable drop during the Sherman era...both in receptions and yardage. In Holmgren's last 4 years, the top 2 TEs topped 800 yards combined 3 times. It hasn't been done since. Receptions are down noticeably too, outside of last year which featured more TE catches because of the number of injuries to WRs. The typical year for Holmgren's unit was in the upper 60s. The typical year for Sherman's unit was around 50.

Lee seems to me to be a potential breakout player if M3 truly utilizes the TE the way Holmgren did.

wist43
05-24-2006, 10:22 AM
I agree that Lee could be the big winner in any expanded role for the TE's. Hopefully, M3 will recognize his ability to get down the field and will construct some plays where Lee will be the #1 option.

I have always advocated using the TE's more... if you have a TE that can split the seam and put pressure on both the LB and SS, you've gone a long way toward opening up other opportunities on the outside, and short over the middle.

Sherman, wanted a power running game (which I agree with), and a more vertical passing game - but, he really didn't have the WR's to pull it off. Walker fit that mold, but he was about the only one.

Beyond that, Favre would get frustrated with the lack of consistent production in the passing game; and ultimately, he would start chucking it up for grabs... Involving the TE's more, should cut down on his tendency to do that.

Guiness
05-24-2006, 10:30 AM
Chris Havel

Franks’ work ethic and experience with free weights has had a curious effect on several of the younger players. They are gravitating toward him, relying on him and emulating him. That doesn’t happen if he isn’t here in the offseason.

'doesn't happen if he isn't here'? Is this a vieled shot at Farve? Geez, that's getting old.

Regardless, I hope the younger players are emulating Franks. I think he is a very high character, hard working guy. Following his lead can only be a good thing?

Green Bud Packer
05-24-2006, 10:31 AM
i agree wist. i think the way mac plans to utilize the t.e. was one of the factors to sway brett to stay. it'll be nice to see some ball control and time of po battles won. sounds to me bubba is glad to have rossley's run and poop offense outta town and so am i.

Tony Oday
05-24-2006, 11:47 AM
Lee is my guy I like him almost more than Gado as a come from behind type player.

He showed speed and good routes last year just not the 'best' hands in the world but he can improve there.

On a secondary note GREAT signing in Franks. He has gone up in my book just reading this knowing that people are starting a 'group' of people lifting weights and getting to be more of a TEAM. These guys this year I think will all outperform their talents.

SD GB fan
05-24-2006, 08:20 PM
i loved how lee did in the car-gb game. on his TD catch, he was smacked hard but still came up with the ball. hope he continues to improve and do well this year

Murphy37
05-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Good thread. Is it just me, or does Lee seem faster than most TE's. Hell, he's probably not but he plays like it. For some reason I see big play potential with the guy. We caught a couple glimpse's of it last year, let's hope to see a lot more.

GBRulz
05-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Other than catching 2 yard passes on the goal line, it seems like our TE's have pretty much become extinct since Chewie left. I blame that on Sherman because it's not like we haven't had any talent. I think Bubba can do so much more...it's not his fault he's not been utilized to his potential in the past. let's hope M3 changes this

GBRulz
05-25-2006, 10:46 PM
Agreed Murph...looking for us to use double tight end formations this year with Bubba and Lee.

Tarlam!
05-26-2006, 03:19 AM
This thread is music to my ears! I have been yearning for twin TE sets for 2 seasons.

Although this article did not mention it, I applaud the decision to retire the U71 package I know it worked early, but the last two seasons it was abysmal. Sherm should have seen the writing on the wall and buried it last season.

mraynrand
05-26-2006, 08:51 AM
i loved how lee did in the car-gb game. on his TD catch, he was smacked hard but still came up with the ball. hope he continues to improve and do well this year

And then in Cincy, he let a TD get by his hands and bounce off his chest. Guy has questionable hands. And Bubba? Bubba catch ball, Bubba fall down. No YAC, not ever. I saw Bubba break a tackle once, and I almost had an MI.

Too much sunshine lollipops and rainbows for this slightly better than marginal group of TEs.

Tarlam!
05-26-2006, 09:00 AM
....I saw Bubba break a tackle once, and I almost had an MI.

Too much sunshine lollipops and rainbows for this slightly better than marginal group of TEs.

That was hysterical!

But, practice makes perfect. Bubba was the feature blocker when U71 was off the field and we weren't in the red zone.

Despite every team knowing Bubba was the #1 target in red zone situations, he always manged to take the other team to town. Credit the guy for that, Ray.

Badgepack
05-26-2006, 09:14 AM
As long as he can get the first down or TD, it's OK if he falls.
Hopefully Lee will stretch the field and continue to improve.