PDA

View Full Version : Referee: I almost sacked Eli Manning

packers11
02-07-2008, 01:34 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2008/02/07/2008-02-07_referee_i_almost_sacked_eli_manning-1.html?page=0

BY RALPH VACCHIANO
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, February 7th 2008, 4:00 AM

Antonelli/News
Eli Manning barely avoids getting sacked on Sunday before completing his game-turning 32-yard pass to David Tyree. For more pictures of the play, click above pic.

The referee stood just few feet from Eli Manning when he pulled off The Great Escape and ignited the play that changed Super Bowl XLII still can't believe that the Giants quarterback got out of the Patriots' grasp.

Mike Carey, the Super Bowl referee, told the Daily News on Wednesday that his "radar was definitely up" when Manning was clutched by two Patriots defenders with just over a minute left on Sunday night "because I knew a sack, or at least grasp and control, was imminent," he said.

But the sack never came. And when Patriots linemen Richard Seymour and Jarvis Green failed to stop Manning's forward momentum, Carey said "grasp and control" was never achieved either. That allowed the ref to patiently watch Manning throw the 32-yard pass that ended with David Tyree's miraculous catch - the signature play of the Giants' 17-14 win.

Carey said he was never close to whistling the play dead. But if either Patriot had pulled Manning backwards, he might have had no choice.

"It didn't quite happen," Carey said. "But boy it was close."

"I anticipated a sack," said Carey, a veteran of 18 NFL seasons who became the first black Super Bowl referee. "I didn't assume that was going to happen, but rarely do you see a quarterback escape when he's got that much weight on his back and being dragged by two or three guys who had a hold of him. I could see his head was just straight ahead. He was trying to break free with desperation. Then all of a sudden he spun out and then he started to come right back at me."

Carey actually was partially blocked out on the play. He started out standing to Manning's right on the third-and-5 play from the Giants' 44, about 17 yards behind the line of scrimmage and 12 yards behind Manning, who was lined up in the shotgun. Almost immediately, as linebacker Adalius Thomas got the first hand on Manning, the pocket began to collapse.

Carey could see Manning "somehow squirted up to the front a little bit," but when Seymour and Green got close enough to grab Manning's jersey, they were positioned directly in Carey's line of sight. So he came sprinting in to get a better look at the play, and just as he got there, Manning stumbled out towards Carey, who now was just a couple of yards before him, still running straight ahead.

Carey saw enough to be convinced that Manning's forward momentum never stopped. If it had, he would've had to blow the whistle and declare Manning "in the grasp and control" of the Patriots defense, which would've ended the play and resulted in a drive-crippling sack.

"Luckily for him, he was driving forward instead of them pulling him backwards," Carey said. "And I was just waiting for that little pendulum swing where, right as they grab him the quarterback usually gets a little bit forward and then they yank him back. Once he starts to be yanked back, that's when it's really imminent that it's grasp and control, or just a sack."

Actually, replays show that Seymour and Green were able to pull Manning backwards about a step and a half. But that was a brief redirection before Manning regained control and broke away.

"It was like a scene out of 'The Planet Earth' or National Geographic, where it's a lion jumping on the back of a wild horse," Carey said. "You could see him just desperately trying to pull out and somehow he did. Usually a quarterback goes straight ahead when that happens and just tries to get yardage. For some reason he turned around and ran back deeper in the pocket. Lucky for him that he did. He had a little safe haven."

That was important because safety is what the "grasp and control" rule is all about.

"Player safety in that situation is really the ultimate, but there's nobody closing down from in front of him so I didn't feel that" Manning was in jeopardy, Carey said. "For some reason everybody was behind him, so it gave me a little more latitude. And because he was going forward it gave me a little more latitude. So I could wait it out."

packinpatland
02-07-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm sure there are Pat fans that are fully satisfied with this. :wink:

swede
02-07-2008, 03:29 PM

What is the Patriot fans' company line, Pat?

Are they saying hat the Patriots had sacked Manning and the referee didn't blow the play dead?

Now I know that many Packer Rats are ready to let the Super Bowl thing go, but I still delight in Patriot fan agony. If you have been listening in on the lamentations of Patriot fans, Pat, then start a thread and tell us the four or five most common excuses in Bean Town, or at least list them here.

MJZiggy
02-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Why does the headline read that the ref "almost sacked Eli Manning" when he's quoted in the article as saying it wasn't even close?

Jimx29
02-07-2008, 06:01 PM
He obviously failed at the Quirk school of tackling 101 :?

packinpatland
02-07-2008, 06:57 PM

What is the Patriot fans' company line, Pat?

Are they saying hat the Patriots had sacked Manning and the referee didn't blow the play dead?

Now I know that many Packer Rats are ready to let the Super Bowl thing go, but I still delight in Patriot fan agony. If you have been listening in on the lamentations of Patriot fans, Pat, then start a thread and tell us the four or five most common excuses in Bean Town, or at least list them here.

Nothing in the 'written' form, ie. no newspapers to quote from, BUT....my neighbors, co-workers, and most important, the man behind the seafood counter at the grocery store...all are saying the same thing....the Pats got cheated. It was a bad call. They like to cite that particular play.........don't like to talk about the 5 sacks and the upteen 'on your back, Brady!' plays.

This is the same seafood guy that I said 'Nobody likes a bully' to, when the Pats where running up the scores......with their 4th down conversions, 50+ points, etc......................Needless to say, given the nature of food poisening and seafood..........I'll shop somewhere else for a little while. :wink:

BallHawk
02-07-2008, 07:35 PM
The headline lead me to believe that Carey almost sacked Manning physically.

But then again, the only ref that would do that is ol' Quirk. :D