PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans back to normal - 21 murders in 2008

Kiwon
02-07-2008, 06:31 PM
It's February 7 and there's been 21 murders in New Orleans so far.

Yep, it's back to normal after Katrina.

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/02/man_fatally_shot_in_lower_gard.html

MJZiggy
02-07-2008, 06:55 PM
See? Resiliency of the American spirit!!

Kiwon
02-07-2008, 07:07 PM
See? Resiliency of the American spirit!!

:(

MJZiggy
02-07-2008, 07:29 PM
I know. I haven't been there for a long time, but it was really cool last time I was there. They would recover much better without this crap.

hoosier
02-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah, you can find something ugly just about anywhere you go if you know where to look. But hey, why continually look in the same places and at the same demographic groups???

http://www.time.com/time/interactive/entertainment/gangs_np.html

TIME MAGAZINE, JUNE 4, 2001, VOL.157 NO.22

Where Does Fantasy End?
Why all of South Korea is obsessed with an online game where ordinary folks can be arms dealers, murderers ... and elves
By MICHELLE LEVANDER Seoul

Stuart Isett for TIME.
Korean gamers spend most of the day and night playing Lineage or hanging out in a PC cafe waiting for the chance to play. The teenagers come together through their obsession with the online game.

Five rough-looking men stepped out of a black sedan and burst into the Seoul PC café where Paek Jung Yul hangs out with Strong People Blood Pledge, his clan of online gamers. "Is the wizard here?" demanded one of the toughs, asking for the player who killed his character in an online game called Lineage. The "wizard" was there, alright, and he was feeling bold. He boasted that he had offed the gangman's virtual character just for the fun of it. Bad idea. The roughnecks dragged the 21-year-old into the urinal and pummeled him until he was covered with real-world bruises.

Kiwon
02-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Hmm....real-world bruises....June 4, 2001.......28 murders.......February 7, 2008.....

Only a fertile (liberal) mind would get the equivocation. :roll:

oregonpackfan
02-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Maybe the characters from "Lost" need to set down Ben in downtown New Orleans in the middle of the night. They guy would probably not make it out alive!

Harlan Huckleby
02-08-2008, 10:06 AM
I know this is not the topic, exactly, but hope the Dems don't get into power and do a massive funding to rebuild New Orleans. The economy needs to be rebuilt, and the environment (wetlands) need to be rebuilt, but not the low income housing. The violence there is largely due to a huge concentration of poverty.

Freak Out
02-08-2008, 10:24 PM
I saw an interview with the new NOLA School super....bleak shit. 85 percent of high school students there are testing at least 2 grades below their age and most are even farther behind. It's going to take a long time and a serious commitment to work through what the storms exposed.