PDA

View Full Version : Winslow Wants New Deal

Scott Campbell
02-08-2008, 09:51 AM
He hired Rosenhaus in the middle of the season, and now he wants a new deal. Imagine that.

From PFT:

POSTED 8:59 a.m. EST, February 8, 2008

WINSLOW WANTS A NEW DEAL

Browns tight end Kellen Winslow squandered much of the potential millions to be paid under his rookie contract when he flew wrecked his motorcycle in May 2005. The team could have taken back even more of his money, but they cut him a break.

Now, after two solid seasons during which Winslow played through injury and pain, the "f--king solider" is asking for an increase in his C-rations.

"When I got hurt [in 2005], the contract got renegotiated, so some things changed, but I think I've proven these past two years that I'm one of the elite tight ends," Winslow told Sirius NFL Radio on Thursday.

"My value on the field, they put in an extra DB in the game, and that really changes the whole game. They have to guard me kind of like a wide receiver so, you know, yeah, gotta to get that new money."

We saw this one coming last year, when Winslow dumped the Postons and hired Drew Rosenhaus. When a player changes agents in the middle of a contract, the new agent doesn't get paid until a new deal gets done.

Winslow currently is signed through 2010. But any decision to extend the contract of a player with three years left on his contract could cause problems elsewhere on the team, especially since receiver Braylon Edwards is signed only through 2009.

The other reality is that, even though Winslow has performed admirably over the past two years, the knee he injured in that motorcycle crash continues to bother him. After undergoing microfracture surgery in a year ago, Winslow recently said that he needs more knee surgery in the 2008 offseason.

So why would the Browns want to break the bank on a guy who might not be able to bring it over the long term? With the player under contract for three more years, the Browns have no reason to rip up the deal -- and that ultimately could cause another Ocho Stinko-style controversy to unfold in Ohio's other NFL city.

But the Browns only have themselves to blame or this one. By giving coach Romeo Crennel an extension with two years left on his contract and not even one playoff appearance to show for his three years on the job, the Browns have already created an environment that will invite more folks to ask for more money -- even though the team has yet to accomplish squat.

BallHawk
02-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Once a dumbass, always a dumbass.

oregonpackfan
02-08-2008, 11:48 AM
One would think that Kellen Winslow Sr. would be advising his son to stay away from amoral agents like Drew Rosenhaus. Kellen Sr. was not only a fine player but a fine man off the field.

SkinBasket
02-08-2008, 12:38 PM
One would think that Kellen Winslow Sr. would be advising his son to stay away from amoral agents like Drew Rosenhaus. Kellen Sr. was not only a fine player but a fine man off the field.

Apparently he should have tried being a better father figure. It's never too late to spank your child though.

I think Winslow is just more aware of the transience of his career than maybe even the Browns are and is trying to get some money now before his legs start falling off and shit.