PDA

View Full Version : College Signing Day Scam

oregonpackfan
02-08-2008, 11:59 AM
High School football lineman Kevin Hart pulled off a major College Signing Day Scam from his small town in Nevada.

The 6 foot, 290 pound lineman duped his parents, his coach, his classmates, the mayor, and journalists covering a national signing day news conference in his high school gymnasium.

He stated he had chosen Cal over Oregon and put on a Cal baseball cap. He then posed for photographs and was interviewed by the media. Scores of well-wishers were in the background including his parents, coach, principal, and classmates.

The only problem was Cal had never offered him a scholarship and Oregon had never tried to recruit him!

This is just a page from the circus that has become the National College Signing Day.

pbmax
02-08-2008, 12:03 PM
That's just sad. Really sad. I wonder why no one caught on to how much pressure he put on himself. Can't be the first time he has been disappointed.

Deputy Nutz
02-08-2008, 12:33 PM
I think it was a joke. not a very good one, but a joke none the less.

twoseven
02-08-2008, 03:31 PM
The kid played his entire town, his entire school, his friends, and his own freaking parents for weeks. After it blew up he then perpetuated his story and blamed things on a made-up middle man, he finally came clean the day after, said he felt completely left out and wanted to be part of the process other kids were experiencing. He took a story to make himself feel better and elevated it to enormous proportions. This was sad and disturbing, the kid has issues and he needs counseling.

MJZiggy
02-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Yeah, the kid does need counseling of some sort, but on the flip side, he duped his friends, school, coach, and even his parents for weeks. Dudes got some sort of odd genius working and if can pull this off, he can accomplish a lot. Just needs a little redirection is all.

Scott Campbell
02-08-2008, 04:24 PM
I only hope that this won't reflect poorly on my own signing day press conference.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-08-2008, 04:59 PM
I only hope that this won't reflect poorly on my own signing day press conference.

Not a chance. Potrykus has called you the most interesting candidate to take over the water boy position.

Deputy Nutz
02-08-2008, 05:17 PM
The kid played his entire town, his entire school, his friends, and his own freaking parents for weeks. After it blew up he then perpetuated his story and blamed things on a made-up middle man, he finally came clean the day after, said he felt completely left out and wanted to be part of the process other kids were experiencing. He took a story to make himself feel better and elevated it to enormous proportions. This was sad and disturbing, the kid has issues and he needs counseling.

What was he planning on doing in August if this whole scam went through without someone bringing it to the attention of the University of California? Would he have packed his bags like he was going to go play college football at Cal? Thats what cracks me up about people doing this for attention, sooner or later it is going to break and everyone is going to be calling for the looney bin, or to seak counciling for you.

I bet OregonPackerFan was still disappointed.

twoseven
02-08-2008, 06:34 PM

What was he planning on doing in August if this whole scam went through without someone bringing it to the attention of the University of California? Would he have packed his bags like he was going to go play college football at Cal? Thats what cracks me up about people doing this for attention, sooner or later it is going to break and everyone is going to be calling for the looney bin, or to seak counciling for you.

I'm pretty sure THEY DID notice, that's what busted the kid to begin with, unless I missed something.

Now if someone had just told us that Mandarich was kidding...

KYPack
02-08-2008, 10:37 PM

He didn't have much of a plan, Nutz.

He was using that tried and true goofy high school kid strategy. When they catch you in a lie, make up a bigger tale to explain the lie you just got caught in.

When the whole thing finally spiraled out of control on him, he had the cops, his family, the coach and the whole town on his ass. It seems he was intiially trying to bullshit his way into other DI schools being interested in him. When that plan went South, his whole scam wound up down in Bolivia someplace.

The cops got into it when he tried his final bullshit story was that a ficticious agent had TOLD him he had the scholarship offers and had fooled him and stolen money from him. That's a crime, so the cops checked out the story.

The kid gave it up to the cops in minutes that he was fulla shit. THEY made him come clean. Now he sits there like a big 6'5" fool having to finish what will be a rough senior year.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-08-2008, 11:33 PM
I predict he rebounds stongly. I see him working with professional scammers like Punk'd, etc.

If he is smart or has a good agent, he can make some serious coin off this.

MJZiggy
02-08-2008, 11:39 PM
See, I was just thinking all he had to do was get accepted at Cal then he just has to work 3 jobs to pay for school and tell everyone that the coach just never plays him... :lol:

oregonpackfan
02-09-2008, 12:13 AM
I was listening to more of this incident on ESPN radio. Mike Turico interviewed the head of high school player rating agency.

A larger scam happened several years ago. It seemed a different national High School agency was contacted by a high school football player. The player provided the agency with inflated stats, 40 yard times, etc. Without seeing the kid on tape or even calling his high school coach, the agency rated him among the top 50 high school football prospects in the country!

When the agency finally called his coach about recommendations, etc. the surprised coach told them the kid not only was not a college prospect, he wasn't even a starter on the team! :)

KYPack
02-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Don't ya just love it when somebody totally screws the pooch like this kid?

What the hell, he got 15 - 20 years of life experience in 60 days.

By next year, nobody will remember him making a fool of himself, & he'll be having fun playing DII ball someplace.

pbmax
02-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Yes. Clearly he has a future in politics, car sales or real estate. Or movie producer.

Yeah, the kid does need counseling of some sort, but on the flip side, he duped his friends, school, coach, and even his parents for weeks. Dudes got some sort of odd genius working and if can pull this off, he can accomplish a lot. Just needs a little redirection is all.

pbmax
02-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Rivals has you taking a vow of celibacy, a second viginity and joining the Divinity School at Liberty. Any truth to that rumor?

MJZiggy
02-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Rivals has you taking a vow of celibacy, a second viginity and joining the Divinity School at Liberty. Any truth to that rumor?

I don't know if he has to do all that...even the Catholics allow you to change your mind, dump your wives and join up. Don't think he'll ever make pope though. :?