PDA

View Full Version : Top Packer Offseason Questions

LL2
02-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Here they go, and the first is (of course)...

Will Favre be back?
I think he's having a tougher time this year to decide. It's just a hunch, but I think he'll retire.

Will TT be active in FA?
To make Bretsky happy...no. I think he will sign two mid level players. It would be nice to see the Pack sign Dallas Clark, Briggs, or Allen.

What position should be addressed in the first few rds of the draft?
OL, RB, CB and in that order.

Feel free to add your own.

The Leaper
02-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Favre will be back.

Thompson will be active in free agency. I expect him to make a run at one of Indy's OGs and consider any other FAs that would improve the team.

I'm thinking that defense will once again dominate the draft...DE, LB and CB all could use some help with depth.

Zool
02-08-2008, 01:46 PM
CB, LB, OL. We'll pick up 2 of each in the draft and FA.

Iron Mike
02-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Who's Nick Barnett gonna beat up this year??

http://images.todaystmj4.com/images/Booking600.jpg

run pMc
02-11-2008, 12:55 PM
I think Favre will be back for one more year, which will piss off Rodgers.

IMO the teams has needs at OL, CB, RB, LB, TE, and maybe S. Whether TT addresses them via the draft or FA doesn't matter much to me...as long as they get addressed. I think everyone agrees TT is more likely to use the draft...Frank Walker wasn't a major acquisition.

TT might look at ATL's OL...they're getting a new coach and Petrino junked the ZBS and made the linemen bulk up. Obviously that worked well. ATL did pretty well with the ZBS the year before.

Barnett will hopefully keep his scuffles to the field. Players can get suspended for things like barfights, and he's an important player for the defense. (Love the picture -- I like that he's smiling for his mugshot.)

chain_gang
02-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Another one could be the Tight End situation, Donald Lee is locked up for a while, but Bubba Franks is slowing down big time. Lee seems to disappear too much at times also, may need an upgrade, would definitely like to see some better depth at the position.

woodbuck27
02-11-2008, 02:07 PM
If I had to make a bet on Favre returning Vs retiring. Given all we know about Favre and his need to compete and the success he enjoyed this past season (minus any politics).

I weigh it in favor of his returning.

If there are politics to consider, and I believe there usually are. The picture becomes not quite so clear. I believe he has the full support of his Wife and Family to do as he wishes.

Also, I believe we saw a very tired Brett Favre at the end of this season. I believe he has to be more low profile or in a zone away fr. the media as much as possible. To focus on just winning football games.

Favre Vs Aaron Rodgers has to be considered as well as Aaron is our future. He's the man that Ted chose. He wants his chance this season. What will be the consecuence of Favre returning and his (AR's) plans will be interesting to observe.

Players we need:

CB (age of Harris and Woodson), OL Depth at guard and LT, RB (I only see one of those in Ryan Grant. If it was me, the remainder would be buying burgers elsewhere.) and TE (Bubba's done).

PACKERS FOREVER!

Chubbyhubby
02-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Don't want to sound negative but I have my dioubts on Favre returning. He has accoplished all of the records. He reached the NFC championship game. I know he is not a record guy. He couldn't care less. Why did he opt out the Pro Bowl? They need to address CB. Both Harris and Woodson are both getting older. Harris got schooled against the Giants.

b bulldog
02-11-2008, 03:08 PM
No offense to Briggs but ai'D HATE TO SEE HIM SIGNED. We need a passrusher and a G.

Green Bud Packer
02-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Q. Who is Ron Paul ?

Q. Will Harris rebound from the spanking he took or is he becoming just another corner?
I think the cold fudged up Al as much as Manning and Burris.

BallHawk
02-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Why did he opt out the Pro Bowl?

He's probably opted out of more Pro Bowls than he has played in. He's always banged up at the end of the year and he's past the point in his career where he needs to play a game "just for fun." Been there, done that.

The Leaper
02-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Why did he opt out the Pro Bowl?

Because he always does.

As I stated before, the fact he SKIPPED the Pro Bowl is probably a greater sign that he is coming back. If this was a last hurrah, why not go to the Pro Bowl and hang out one last time with the boys?

He's still hungry. He still wants another title. The team was 3 points from the Super Bowl.

Favre will be back.

MJZiggy
02-11-2008, 05:15 PM
That gaffe he made with Mariucci when he said Mooch better hope the Redskins don't play GB this season was what was pretty telling to me.

packinpatland
02-11-2008, 05:37 PM
I'd feel just alittle bit better about Favre coming back, if McCarthy hadn't mentioned change........

"It would be a different team because you're talking about a guy that's led the football team for 17 years," said McCarthy, who's in Hawaii coaching the NFC team in the Pro Bowl. "But it's a change that's inevitable. His career will go down as one of the greatest in the history of the National Football League. It's going to change and we're prepared for that with the progress of Aaron Rodgers."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8069483c&template=with-video&confirm=true

MJZiggy
02-11-2008, 05:39 PM
If it makes you feel any better, he's been saying that exact same thing since he got here.

pbmax
02-11-2008, 06:48 PM
LL2, you've got to talk louder, I can't hear you over your breasts.

Here they go, and the first is (of course)...

Will Favre be back?
I think he's having a tougher time this year to decide. It's just a hunch, but I think he'll retire.

Will TT be active in FA?
To make Bretsky happy...no. I think he will sign two mid level players. It would be nice to see the Pack sign Dallas Clark, Briggs, or Allen.

Feel free to add your own.

gbgary
02-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Top Packer Offseason Questions...

Will Favre be back?

Will TT be active in FA?

yes!

no!

OL!

http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/Yawn.gif

CaliforniaCheez
02-12-2008, 06:59 AM
The big thing in my opinion is depth at these positions listed in priority.

Depth at CB

Depth at LB

Depth at TE

Depth at Center

Depth at QB (especially if the unexpected occurs)

Upgrade at KR/PR

Depth at RB

Is there a starting position that can be upgraded?? Unlikely in free agency.
Maybe with a 1st round pick. Most vulnerable starters are Colledge and Poppinga.

Frankly, a couple of young free agents to compete is all the Packers need in free agency. Again the big focus will be on the draft for depth with potential to move with experience.

For those who want cap money spent (and screamed about it last year) consider extending contracts of some players before they get expensive.

Jennings
Spitz
Jolly

SkinBasket
02-12-2008, 07:34 AM
For those who want cap money spent (and screamed about it last year) consider extending contracts of some players before they get expensive.

Jennings
Spitz
Jolly

No one's going to spend money on Spitz or Jolly, especially given their restricted status when their first contracts run out.

vince
02-12-2008, 08:26 AM

Jennings
Spitz
Jolly

No one's going to spend money on Spitz or Jolly, especially given their restricted status when their first contracts run out.
Jennings, Spitz and Jolly signed four-year deals (thru '09), giving each of them unrestricted status when their first contracts run out.

woodbuck27
02-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Don't want to sound negative but I have my dioubts on Favre returning. He has accoplished all of the records. He reached the NFC championship game. I know he is not a record guy. He couldn't care less. Why did he opt out the Pro Bowl? They need to address CB. Both Harris and Woodson are both getting older. Harris got schooled against the Giants.

I love Favre more than I have any PRO athlete but after this past season I'm ready to let him go.

I almost really relish seeing just what Aaron Rodgers really has. I'm on record as one who absolutely hated the Aaron Rodgers pick when we had so much need on the OL coupled with believing that Brett Favre had a lot more in his tank with proper support.

That pick blew me away and has always left a bad taste in my mouth.

All the same. When and if Aaron Rodgers takes the #1 QB spot I will be fully behind him. Maybe he'll be just fine but there hasn't been a lot to recommend that to me as yet.

Aaron deserves his shot soon and maybe Favre will allow that in 2008. There is no sense in Favre staying around if he doesn't get mutual support for a real Super Bowl push next season.

I really feel that. The time for Brett Favre to retire in now. I have a gut feeling he will inside of the next month. NO!

We've seen the last of Brett Favre behind center.

MJZiggy
02-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Woodbuck, what team were you watching last season? A REAL Super Bowl push? We were 3 points away!! One interception away!! Did they play crappy in that game? Sure but they almost pulled it off anyway. You can't GET any closer to the Super Bowl than that. It was a real push and more than just possible that Favre will come back to finish where he left off. He only needs to be 3 points better this season. Why would he quit?

CaliforniaCheez
02-12-2008, 05:28 PM

Jennings
Spitz
Jolly

Jennings, Spitz and Jolly signed four-year deals (thru '09), giving each of them unrestricted status when their first contracts run out.

I'm saying late in the year eat up some cap space on guys you want to keep. If you do it early it can be cheaper in the long run than waiting until contracts run out at the same time and the prices are higher. The year plus of higher pay is offset by a lower cost in the outer year(s) and the team is not signing so many players in one offseason.

In an inflationary market with extra cash available why not buy today cheaper than waiting until prices are much higher? Expanding inventory in such conditions makes good business sense. Part of cap management is think ahead.

vince
02-12-2008, 06:11 PM

Jennings
Spitz
Jolly

I'm saying late in the year eat up some cap space on guys you want to keep. If you do it early it can be cheaper in the long run than waiting until contracts run out at the same time and the prices are higher. The year plus of higher pay is offset by a lower cost in the outer year(s) and the team is not signing so many players in one offseason.

In an inflationary market with extra cash available why not buy today cheaper than waiting until prices are much higher? Expanding inventory in such conditions makes good business sense. Part of cap management is think ahead.
Couldn't agree more.

cheesner
02-13-2008, 09:42 AM
I really feel that. The time for Brett Favre to retire in now. I have a gut feeling he will inside of the next month. NO!

We've seen the last of Brett Favre behind center.
I have thought the chances were 50-50 the last 2 years that Brett will retire. This year I would be surprised if he did. He seemed to be having fun playing again. He has always stated that as long as he has fun and can play at a high level, he will continue. Next season the Packers will be a better team. They were an OT loss away from the SB. There is always luck along the way, but even if the Packers didn't make a single FA acquisition, trade, or even a draft pick, they have a legitimate SB shot next season. Not sure what the vegas line is, but I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't the NFC favorite.

Fritz
02-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Will TT placate fans and finally run out and sign a few big-name-past-their-prime free agents to huge contracts so the Packers finally get picked to win by the all-important pre-season prognosticators?

Zool
02-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Woodbuck, what team were you watching last season? A REAL Super Bowl push? We were 3 points away!! One interception away!! Did they play crappy in that game? Sure but they almost pulled it off anyway. You can't GET any closer to the Super Bowl than that. It was a real push and more than just possible that Favre will come back to finish where he left off. He only needs to be 3 points better this season. Why would he quit?

This is 20 wasted seconds of your life that you can never have back Zig.

LL2
02-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Will TT placate fans and finally run out and sign a few big-name-past-their-prime free agents to huge contracts so the Packers finally get picked to win by the all-important pre-season prognosticators?

Has hell frzoen over?

MJZiggy
02-14-2008, 03:07 PM

Has hell frzoen over?

Well it is a little chilly in here..

Tyrone Bigguns
02-14-2008, 03:42 PM

Wow. You are calling woody and merlin all important. Nice. :roll:

pbmax
02-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Forget it, the Packers will never win the pre-season prognosticators respect with T2 running the show. I will be writing this same post in 2013 without a change.

It will be Wahle to Wahle Vikings, Redskins, Cardinals and Seahawks this year. And Cowboys, always the Cowboys. Combined, those teams will be picked to go 80-0. The Packers will be lucky to be picked to go 7-9.

We should replace T2 with Rich McKay or Vinny Cerrato. Someone with very few credentials, little success and great media relations and contacts.

Iron Mike
02-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Who's the black private dick that's a sex machine to all the chicks?

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/73/039_24133~Richard-Roundtree-Posters.jpg

Scott Campbell
02-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Shaft!!!

Iron Mike
02-17-2008, 02:23 PM
Shaft!!!

Damn right!!!!!

http://mog.com/pictures/wikipedia/165932/Isaac_hayes_1973.jpg

Iron Mike
02-17-2008, 02:23 PM
Who's the cat that won't cop out, when there's danger all about?

http://industrycentral.net/content/actors/images/roundtree1.jpg

twoseven
02-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Who's the cat that won't cop out, when there's danger all about?

http://industrycentral.net/content/actors/images/roundtree1.jpg
Shut yo mouth!

Lurker64
02-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Shut yo mouth!

Psst... he's just talking about Shaft.