02-09-2008, 03:12 PM
boom goes the dynamite.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-09-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm with leather.

'nuff said.

KYPack
02-09-2008, 07:18 PM
I've heard little anti-Berman snippets in the past, but this last couple weeks has brought a deluge.

Boomer has really pissed somebody off and they are releasing the floodgates on him.

Guiness
02-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Ya, what's up with that KY? Figure someone is trying to take him down?

KYPack
02-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Ya, what's up with that KY? Figure someone is trying to take him down?

I think Boomer's massive ego has tripped him up. He's pissed somebody off and they've released as much unflattering ammo on him as they can.

I dunno who, but it'll come out in time.

Google "Berman leather" for an example of his giant ego.

Partial
02-09-2008, 09:51 PM
I am seeing a leather company. I don't get jokes, evidently.

KYPack
02-09-2008, 10:06 PM
OK Partial.

Chris
Berman
Leather.

Jesus H Christ. Being on a forum with you is like raising another kid.

Hopefully, you didn't buy a pair of gloves from "Berman leather".

What, were you raised underneath high tension lines, er somethin'?

Partial
02-09-2008, 10:10 PM
He has a leather company?

BallHawk
02-09-2008, 10:22 PM
He has a leather company?

"You're with me, Leather" was a pick-up line he supposedly used in a bar while he was in Arizona for Spring Training.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27re_with_me%2C_leather

Jimx29
02-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Fuck it. he's human :eyes:

Partial
02-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Great Sig Numb.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-10-2008, 01:17 AM
I am seeing a leather company. I don't get jokes, evidently.

from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You're_with_me,_leather

"You're with me, leather" is a pick-up line reportedly used by ESPN anchor Chris Berman in Scottsdale, Arizona, in the mid-1990s, according to an anecdote submitted by a reader of the sports website Deadspin and made popular on the site after it was posted on Deadspin on April 11, 2006.[1]

According to the story, an anonymous contributor, whom Deadspin editor Will Leitch calls "a respected journalist," was flirting in a bar with an attractive woman wearing leather pants. However, his efforts proved unsuccessful when Berman, who was in Scottsdale to cover baseball spring training, walked by and told the woman "You're with me, leather." The woman immediately got up and left the bar with Berman.[2]

The relationship between Berman and the woman is unknown, although he was married with two children at the time of the story. While Berman has not publicly commented on the story, he allegedly responded angrily when he was asked whether he had ever visited Deadspin by a 15-year-old fan during the 2006 NFL Draft, where he hosted ESPN's coverage. Berman reportedly told the fan, "Why would I go and do that? That is such a stupid question. What are you, stupid? That is so stupid." [3]

According to a sports journalist at the San Jose Mercury News, when asked about the catch phrase Berman responded, "A lot of people are very mean-spirited, apparently... You’re talking about something that happened nine years ago, some people want to dump on a guy that’s been pretty nice to people for 27 years.” [4]

"You're with me, leather," or YWML as it is also known, quickly became popular with Deadspin readers and sports bloggers, and has grown into an Internet phenomenon. "You're with me, ____," with other words or phrases inserted in place of "leather," is often repeated in response to news stories involving Berman. The phrase is also often used without context as a non sequitur, snowclone or an inside joke.

Kiwon
02-10-2008, 03:58 AM
I've heard little anti-Berman snippets in the past, but this last couple weeks has brought a deluge.

Boomer has really pissed somebody off and they are releasing the floodgates on him.

I think it's a Hispanic studio hand named "Jesus" who is tired of his name being mispronounced.

KYPack
02-10-2008, 07:25 AM

I think it's a Hispanic studio hand named "Jesus" who is tired of his name being mispronounced.

I think it's a Korean studio hand named "Kiwon" who is tired of his name being mispronounced.

(Tried to think of a way to work "fuck" in there, but I failed)

PS. Way to help Partial, guys.

red
02-10-2008, 07:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyAGZ41btx8&NR=1

HAHAHA

i love that vid

thanks for posting it, i saw it years ago, but haven't been able to find it in forever

RashanGary
02-10-2008, 08:48 AM
That boom goes the dynamite thing was funny. At first I was thinking "what's so funny about this" but watching the 2nd half of it is pretty funny. At one point he just sighs "ahhh" right in the middle of his commentary and then when he's sitting with the other news casters at the very end, he looks so flustered and lost.

Wow, that was a nightmare for that kid.

BallHawk
02-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Funny, I never knew the story behind that video.

(CBS) A Mario cards tournament and a complete bust in an appearance as a TV sports anchor somehow combined to make a phrase that Brian Collins originated into a sensation on the Internet and beyond.

Collins, a freshman at Ball State University in Muncie, Ind., coined the catchphrase that's rocketed to fame: "Boom goes the dynamite."

He told The Early Show co-anchor Hannah Storm Monday it all started when he was preparing to take part in a Mario cards tournament: "We try to create things that will mess each other up, and we mostly try to make people laugh. And part of that is you create catchphrases. And, obviously, 'boom goes the dynamite' was one of mine."

But that was just the beginning.

Collins agreed to fill in as a sports anchor on a student-run TV newscast.

His performance was abysmal.

It got so bad, a frustrated Collins resorted to saying "Boom goes the dynamite" over video of someone making a basketball shot. "I decided at least I'm going to have a little fun with this," he says. "I figured not too many people would see it. And I just threw it out there," thinking that would be the end of it.

Little did Collins know, that would only be the beginning.

But someone put the embarrassing tape on the Web, "as a joke," Collins explains, "I think without really realizing what all would happen when he did that."

In an instant, Collins' catchphrase not only made its way around the Internet, it began showing up on newscasts across the country, mostly as anchor video voiceovers. It became part of pop culture, so much so that he appeared on the Late Show with David Letterman.

Collins says there's been some negative mixed in with the positive: "You do get hate mail from people who just come after you. …You get lots of phone calls. At one point, we had to unplug our phone at school just because of how many phone calls we were getting."

However, he adds, "It was something I was kind of glad I went through, because it taught me a lot about media and taught me a lot about how to lick your wounds and get through a mess."

Collins says he's been mulling becoming a TV weatherman.

So, The Early Show decided to give him some trial by fire, and asked him to help out substitute weatherperson Audrey Puente.

Collins did just fine, even managing to work in a, "Boom goes the dynamite."

He later told Puente, "I think it's a career I might wanna go into. It's a lot of fun."

KYPack
02-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Funny, I never knew the story behind that video.

(CBS) A Mario cards tournament and a complete bust in an appearance as a TV sports anchor somehow combined to make a phrase that Brian Collins originated into a sensation on the Internet and beyond.

Collins, a freshman at Ball State University in Muncie, Ind., coined the catchphrase that's rocketed to fame: "Boom goes the dynamite."

He told The Early Show co-anchor Hannah Storm Monday it all started when he was preparing to take part in a Mario cards tournament: "We try to create things that will mess each other up, and we mostly try to make people laugh. And part of that is you create catchphrases. And, obviously, 'boom goes the dynamite' was one of mine."

But that was just the beginning.

Collins agreed to fill in as a sports anchor on a student-run TV newscast.

His performance was abysmal.

It got so bad, a frustrated Collins resorted to saying "Boom goes the dynamite" over video of someone making a basketball shot. "I decided at least I'm going to have a little fun with this," he says. "I figured not too many people would see it. And I just threw it out there," thinking that would be the end of it.

Little did Collins know, that would only be the beginning.

But someone put the embarrassing tape on the Web, "as a joke," Collins explains, "I think without really realizing what all would happen when he did that."

In an instant, Collins' catchphrase not only made its way around the Internet, it began showing up on newscasts across the country, mostly as anchor video voiceovers. It became part of pop culture, so much so that he appeared on the Late Show with David Letterman.

Collins says there's been some negative mixed in with the positive: "You do get hate mail from people who just come after you. …You get lots of phone calls. At one point, we had to unplug our phone at school just because of how many phone calls we were getting."

However, he adds, "It was something I was kind of glad I went through, because it taught me a lot about media and taught me a lot about how to lick your wounds and get through a mess."

Collins says he's been mulling becoming a TV weatherman.

So, The Early Show decided to give him some trial by fire, and asked him to help out substitute weatherperson Audrey Puente.

Collins did just fine, even managing to work in a, "Boom goes the dynamite."

He later told Puente, "I think it's a career I might wanna go into. It's a lot of fun."

I thought the "boom goes the dynamite" was the LEAST funny part of the kid's broadcast.

vince
02-10-2008, 10:07 AM
:lol: The more you watch that clip, the funnier it gets!

RashanGary
02-10-2008, 11:10 AM
:lol: The more you watch that clip, the funnier it gets!

Exactly. The first time you just wonder what the hell is going on. The 2nd time you realize what is going on and it becomes funny. The third time you hear the sighs and absolute distress in his voice and body language, then the 4th time you remember to watch the whole thing and see the end where the news crew acctaully thanks him with a straight face and he looks a deer in the headlights, like he can't believe what just happened :)

That was pretty good.