PDA

View Full Version : The 'Skins hire a HC and it's.....Zorn?

BallHawk
02-09-2008, 06:26 PM
WASHINGTON -- The Washington Redskins hired Jim Zorn as their coach Saturday night, a surprise ending to a month-long search for a replacement for Joe Gibbs.

Zorn's hiring was confirmed to ESPN.com's John Clayton on Saturday night by sources familiar with the situation.

Zorn will be introduced at a news conference at 3 p.m. Sunday, according to a person who was informed of the Redskins' decision. The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because a formal announcement had not been made.

Zorn, a former Seattle quarterback, has been the Seahawks' quarterbacks coach for the last seven years. The Redskins hired him to be their offensive coordinator on Jan. 26 while continuing their search for a head coach.

RashanGary
02-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Seems like a good signing. Maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't but at least they're giving a new guy a shot.

I think that Washington team is going to come crashing down. They're 20 mil over the cap last time I saw something on it.

Jimx29
02-09-2008, 10:55 PM
MIII was a surprise signing too

Harlan Huckleby
02-10-2008, 12:38 AM
I remember watching him on the Packers. He was definitely at the end of his career when he stumbled into Green Bay. I just remember people yelling "Jimbo!" in mock enthusiasm when he got into the game.

KYPack
02-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Somebody needs to take that franchise away from little Danny Snyder before he hurts himself.

Bagging top assistants, then interviewing a bunch of guys for the job before hiring Zorn? He's out of his mind.

Carolina_Packer
02-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Somebody needs to take that franchise away from little Danny Snyder before he hurts himself.

Bagging top assistants, then interviewing a bunch of guys for the job before hiring Zorn? He's out of his mind.

I was thinking the same thing. Why not have a director of football operations? None of Snyder's moves have produced a consistent winner. Why will this one work? And with their cap issues, that's a big ouch.

Badgerinmaine
02-10-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm not so sure it isn't a good change for Washington. Dan Snyder has mostly been interested in hiring big name and/or flashy people to run the Redskins--Steve Spurrier, Marty Schottenheimer, and bringing Joe Gibbs out of retirement. Maybe this time they'll get less sizzle and more performance.

Iron Mike
02-10-2008, 12:02 PM
http://bp1.blogger.com/_3ZJuj_RcIcI/R648ZWrw5uI/AAAAAAAAA4w/qeBW4o-Z6xQ/s320/jim_zorn_topps_1977.jpg

Freak Out
02-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Zorn is a good coach and should be a good head coach. I think Danny made a good hire.

KYPack
02-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Zorn is a good coach and should be a good head coach. I think Danny made a good hire.

"Danny" has made a bunch of hires and fires.

He got rid of a solid OC and DC. Then hired replacements. So the new HC comes in with a ready made staff, not of his choosing. Jim Zorn is a good guy & all, but he's really never been a coordinator.

Snyder's whole rationale in getting Gibbs was to get out of the football side. He needs to do just that. He's a superfan, but not a football guy.

LL2
02-11-2008, 08:22 AM
All he's ever been is a QB coach. Isn't it a big jump from QB coach to HC? Seems like it will be a tough challenge for Zorn. I bet a lot of the Redskin players are saying "Who?"

pbmax
02-11-2008, 09:57 AM
The rumors at PFT have Vinny Cerrato throwing his weight around, trying to get a coach who won't threaten his new position and authority.

I would be more willing to take this at face value except that this was the exact same line of thinking PFT published last year when T2 hired M3. Only last year it was wild-keister speculation and this year it has upgraded to league sourced rumor.

Regardless of that comparison, Atlanta went through this same thing with Blank and Rich McKay. The owner won't invest total authority with a GM (this is what separates T2 and the Packers from them) and so the quasi-GM hires a less well regarded coach.

Packers method seems to have met with better success.

"Danny" has made a bunch of hires and fires.

He got rid of a solid OC and DC. Then hired replacements. So the new HC comes in with a ready made staff, not of his choosing. Jim Zorn is a good guy & all, but he's really never been a coordinator.

Snyder's whole rationale in getting Gibbs was to get out of the football side. He needs to do just that. He's a superfan, but not a football guy.

GoPackGo
02-11-2008, 10:04 AM
A rumor I heard is that Snyder really wants to hire Bill Cowher and Zorn would be discarded or reassigned if that happened.

Harlan Huckleby
02-11-2008, 12:02 PM
A rumor I heard is that Snyder really wants to hire Bill Cowher and Zorn would be discarded or reassigned if that happened.

:roll: sounds a little fishy. I assume Zorn has a contract.

GoPackGo
02-11-2008, 12:37 PM

:roll: sounds a little fishy. I assume Zorn has a contract.

I think the rumor pertains to next year.

SudsMcBucky
02-11-2008, 01:24 PM
All he's ever been is a QB coach. Isn't it a big jump from QB coach to HC? Seems like it will be a tough challenge for Zorn. I bet a lot of the Redskin players are saying "Who?"

You mean kind of like how the Eagles hired Andy Reid? From QB coach to HC. Worked out good for them. We'll see about Zorn.