PDA

View Full Version : Tag Candidates

KYPack
02-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Feb 21 is the last day teams can tag players.

The following are players that their teams may choose to use the tag on:

NE WR Randy Moss
AZ LB Karlos Danby
Car OT Jordan Goss
KC DE Jared Allen
TN DT Alber Haynesworth
SEA CB Marcus Trufant
CIN DE Justin Smith (2nd time)

As noted elsewhere Philly tagged TE LJ Smith (for unknown reasons).

NE also has large roster bonuses due a couple players that they may choose to release rather than cough up the bucks. Donte Stallworth will get 9 mil if still on the roster Feb 29. WR Kelly Washington is due 4 million. Most observers feel both will be released.

b bulldog
02-10-2008, 09:28 AM
I've heard that the Pats will be trying to renogotiate with Stallworth and Brady.

b bulldog
02-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Is Allen oficially tagged yet?

KYPack
02-10-2008, 09:31 AM

No Doggie. These are players that MAY be tagged. Ya know, might, like Tom Brady MIGHT be a good QB.

It's a possibility. The teams are trying to decide if they want to use the tag on these guys.

Like that, ya know.

swede
02-10-2008, 09:39 AM
The tag is something that doesn't work very well even when used to retain the services of rational, business-like players. The tag imposes the will of the team on the player without negotiation, which causes hard feelings even if the money does happen to be good.

I can't imagine that Randy Moss would continue to be a non-disruptive presence in the locker room under that circumstance.

b bulldog
02-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Well we all know who could be, ya know like Brett could ever be a top 5 QB KFC man :lol:

b bulldog
02-10-2008, 09:45 AM
With Moss' age, he will have a hard time getting a big contract from the Pats

KYPack
02-10-2008, 09:46 AM
You can tease me, Doggie, but don't make fun of my chicken.

Only the rooster gets a better piece!

b bulldog
02-10-2008, 11:05 AM
:lol:

twoseven
02-10-2008, 11:52 AM

Chiefs Cunningham insists Allen must stay

By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

http://www.chiefshuddle.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=74286

'Team president and general manager Carl Peterson said last month that the team probably would make Allen its franchise player. The move would increase Allen's salary, but the deal would be a short-term fix that would leave the Chiefs in the same position after next season.'

Bretsky
02-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Moss IMO will get tagged

twoseven
02-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Like Giants, Titans see value of dominant defensive line

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080209/SPORTS01/80209027/1027

'Vanden Bosch remains under contract through the 2009 season, and the Titans are expected to hang on to Haynesworth for at least one more season by placing the franchise tag on him.'

Lurker64
02-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Moss IMO will get tagged

Will Moss make trouble if you tag him? As I understand it, a large part of his motivation this season was that he wanted both to become a relevant player deal so that he can sign a very big and become courted by a number of teams.

If you just string him along tagging him every year, nobody has the chance to offer him a deal that would make him feel appreciated, and it seems that the Patriots would just continue to do so until he can't play anymore.

Considering that being tagged tends to piss off players and we're talking about Randy Moss here, I don't think it's a great idea for New England.

4and12to12and4
02-10-2008, 02:21 PM

Chiefs Cunningham insists Allen must stay

By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

http://www.chiefshuddle.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=74286

'Team president and general manager Carl Peterson said last month that the team probably would make Allen its franchise player. The move would increase Allen's salary, but the deal would be a short-term fix that would leave the Chiefs in the same position after next season.'

Of all the FA this year, this is the one I thought could take us to the next step, the Superbowl. If we can get a DOMINANT pass rusher on the other side of Aaron, we would have an unreal defense. It is the piece we need, just like when we got Reggie. I hope TT realizes that. Even with Al and Chuck another year older, they will be a force, and if they only have to mug receivers for a few seconds, we will become one of the most dominant defenses EVER, IMHO.

woodbuck27
02-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Moss IMO will get tagged

Will Moss make trouble if you tag him? As I understand it, a large part of his motivation this season was that he wanted both to become a relevant player deal so that he can sign a very big and become courted by a number of teams.

If you just string him along tagging him every year, nobody has the chance to offer him a deal that would make him feel appreciated, and it seems that the Patriots would just continue to do so until he can't play anymore.

Considering that being tagged tends to piss off players and we're talking about Randy Moss here, I don't think it's a great idea for New England.

Unless I understand it wrong?

Randy Moss can only be tagged by the Pats this next season and then they have to shit or get off the pot. Maybe he's the best candidate they have to be a Franchise Player and I certainly like him over Donte Stallworth in that potential role.

As we got into the playoff's it appeared to me that Randy Moss had fallen fr. grace and that had little to do with the sell , that he was being double covered and not then a suitable target. It might have moreso to do with the fact that playoff teams are simply better talent wise then what a team generally meets week to week in the regular schedule.

So it looked to me that the Pats we're saying we are so good on 'O' that we don't need Randy Moss to win - we have many options.

I will be surprized if Moss stays in NE unless he settles on money below his potential market value or that he is tagged.

SO. Randy Moss looks to me to be a good candidate as a FA.

KYPack
02-10-2008, 03:00 PM
I think the following get tagged:

Haynesworth
Moss
Allen
Smith
Trufant

AZ & Car have a lot of roster problems, so I think their guys will walk.

Haynesworth is a strange ranger, but plays well in the contract year. Tenn had cap problems from paying vet deals, but the big guy sets up their D and they have to keep him.

RIPackerFan
02-10-2008, 06:07 PM
I would love to see Moss get tagged. There is no doubt in my mind he would be severe malcontent in the locker room - he knows that he is getting up there in age and he was playing great to get that one last paycheck to set him up. If he has to wait another year, it will be a bumpy ride. We all saw what happened in Oakland when he was in a pissy mood.

Guiness
02-11-2008, 01:52 AM
I also tend to think 'Boom goes the Moss' if he is tagged.

twoseven
02-11-2008, 04:56 AM
I think the following get tagged:

Haynesworth
Moss
Allen
Smith
Trufant

AZ & Car have a lot of roster problems, so I think their guys will walk.

Haynesworth is a strange ranger, but plays well in the contract year. Tenn had cap problems from paying vet deals, but the big guy sets up their D and they have to keep him.
It seems in the last month the NYG have really enforced how important it is to have a strong front four and pass rush. If teams lke KC and TEN didn't already see how important Allen and Hayensworth were to their success the SB should have hammered that point home for them. I don't see either of these guys escaping the tag and I don't see any way TT messes around with a tagged guy. How do you give up a first and a third and then a big contract on top of that?

At this point I am hoping he'll bite the bullet and f. tag CW, as it doesn't appear a viable replacement is out there should he go. Give him the tag and let's see what Harell/Jolly/Jenkins/Muir can do, one more year should make CW's worth in this group more clear. Considering the price we'd pay to re-up CW anyway, how can you NOT slap the franchise on him, have I missed something? I can't think that TT sees so little value in him to just let him walk rather than rent him for a year at an elevated number.

the_idle_threat
02-11-2008, 07:10 AM
You can tease me, Doggie, but don't make fun of my chicken.

Only the rooster gets a better piece!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Classic!

Ballboy
02-11-2008, 09:01 AM
I had posted earlier, word in Seattle is Trufant is as good as gone. I'm not sure if it a money thing as stated in the Seattle chat rooms.

This is a guy I thought the Packers could look at. TT drafted him and he is still young....Yes, would cost a little bit of money, but of the DB's available at this point, he is maybe 3rd to 4th best.

MJZiggy
02-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Can he play bump and run?

Patler
02-11-2008, 10:18 AM
I had posted earlier, word in Seattle is Trufant is as good as gone. I'm not sure if it a money thing as stated in the Seattle chat rooms.

This is a guy I thought the Packers could look at. TT drafted him and he is still young....Yes, would cost a little bit of money, but of the DB's available at this point, he is maybe 3rd to 4th best.

Seattle is not in bad shape, cap wise, last I saw a list, and I'm not sure that they have any big FAs other than Truffant. Truffant is a local kid, having grown up in Tacoma. Unless he is way, way out of line in his expectations, I would expect a deal to be worked out to keep him in Seattle, unless there is something behind the scenes that we are unaware of.

The Leaper
02-11-2008, 10:19 AM
I can't see us signing a top tier CB...it is unlikely a top tier CB would come to GB with Woodson and Harris already here (he'd have to fight for playing time) and it would piss off Woodson and Harris.

I strongly expect our first draft choice will be a CB...and I won't be shocked if Thompson trades up to get someone he really wants.

Patler
02-11-2008, 11:02 AM
I can't see us signing a top tier CB...it is unlikely a top tier CB would come to GB with Woodson and Harris already here (he'd have to fight for playing time) and it would piss off Woodson and Harris.

I strongly expect our first draft choice will be a CB...and I won't be shocked if Thompson trades up to get someone he really wants.

I agree that it would be very unlikely for GB to sign a starting corner as a FA. It certainly isn't the same as when Carroll was the starter and Woodson was signed. Drafting a top CB makes a whole lot of sense; however.

chain_gang
02-11-2008, 11:41 AM

I agree that it would be very unlikely for GB to sign a starting corner as a FA. It certainly isn't the same as when Carroll was the starter and Woodson was signed. Drafting a top CB makes a whole lot of sense; however.

The only type of corner I could see us signing is the "Frank Walker" type. "Frank Walker" type= A corner who has skills, but seems to be just not putting it all together. Sometimes it pays of great, and the player starts living up to his potential, or sometimes they are the "Frank Walker", gets lost in the shuffle, doesn't show much, but is justified keeping to provide depth in case of injury.

As for the draft, I see a corner in Round 1, but if not I'd say it'll be addressed within the first three rounds.

DRC in '08

MJZiggy
02-11-2008, 11:49 AM
What drafting a Frank Walker does, is shows tremendous faith in your coaching staff because if he has all the tools, you leave it them to get him to put them all together. He's the kind of guy that's fascinating to watch and see where his development goes.

Patler
02-11-2008, 12:01 PM
What drafting a Frank Walker does, is shows tremendous faith in your coaching staff because if he has all the tools, you leave it them to get him to put them all together. He's the kind of guy that's fascinating to watch and see where his development goes.

You mean Schottenheimer?????? :wink:

MJZiggy
02-11-2008, 12:15 PM
I never said I had any faith in him, that's TT's (misguided) deal.

Patler
02-11-2008, 12:27 PM
I never said I had any faith in him, that's TT's (misguided) deal.

Ya, I didn't mean that you felt that way!

It does seem that any reliance on Schottenheimer to develop players is misplaced. I feel like the Packers have a lot of DBs who are not playing up to their potential, including Collins, Blackmon (although it is hard to know with the injuries), Walker (after all, he was a sometimes starter and most time #3 with the Giants) and maybe even Bush. Age might be a factor in his performance, but Harris seems to be a little less in control of himself the last two seasons. Roman was better before coming to GB, was better in GB the year Schottenheimer was gone, and still manages to be starting in SF.

Patler
02-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Ooops!

chain_gang
02-11-2008, 01:51 PM
You mean Schottenheimer?????? :wink:[/quote]

I'd slap the hell outta Kurt Schottenheimer, Marty too, hell maybe even Brian.

Ballboy
02-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Per Football Futures.com:

Marcus Trufant, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Trufant’s contract has voided based on playing time and given the team’s commitment to other players at his position, it appears that the cornerback will be looking for a starting position elsewhere. His 2004 season was easily his best, when he compiled 96 total tackles, five interceptions, and a sack. He was unable to match that type of production until this season, in which he has 77 total tackles and seven interceptions. He will be one of the top defensive targets on the market.

According to ask the commish.com Seattle is only about $10,000,000 under the cap. They also have Womack from the OL a UFA

KYPack
02-12-2008, 11:04 AM

NE WR Randy Moss
AZ LB Karlos Danby
Car OT Jordan Goss
KC DE Jared Allen
TN DT Alber Haynesworth
SEA CB Marcus Trufant

NE also has large roster bonuses due a couple players that they may choose to release rather than cough up the bucks. Donte Stallworth will get 9 mil if still on the roster Feb 29. WR Kelly Washington is due 4 million. Most observers feel both will be released.

Looks like the Ravens may tag Terrell Suggs.

If it goes down, it'll happen in the next few days.

With the Wahle and Morgan cuts, Car may sign Goss to a long term deal.

twoseven
02-12-2008, 01:01 PM

NE WR Randy Moss
AZ LB Karlos Danby
Car OT Jordan Goss
KC DE Jared Allen
TN DT Alber Haynesworth
SEA CB Marcus Trufant

Looks like the Ravens may tag Terrell Suggs.

If it goes down, it'll happen in the next few days.

With the Wahle and Morgan cuts, Car may sign Goss to a long term deal.
Yep, BALT says today Suggs will be signed or he will be tagged.

KYPack
02-16-2008, 02:47 PM

NE WR Randy Moss
AZ LB Karlos Danby
Car OT Jordan Goss
KC DE Jared Allen
TN DT Alber Haynesworth
SEA CB Marcus Trufant

Little bump on the update

OAK CB Nnamdi Asomugha many feel he will be tagged, but it's the Raiduz
CAR may use the tag on Goss or another player with the latest cuts
TN expected to tag DT Albert Haynesworth any day now.

twoseven
02-16-2008, 04:52 PM

NE WR Randy Moss
AZ LB Karlos Danby
Car OT Jordan Goss
KC DE Jared Allen
TN DT Alber Haynesworth
SEA CB Marcus Trufant

Asante Samuel, Lance Briggs, and Corey Williams as the only impact defensive players left untagged after 2/21 is my guess.

KYPack
02-18-2008, 02:12 PM

NE WR Randy Moss
AZ LB Karlos Danby
Car OT Jordan Goss
KC DE Jared Allen
TN DT Alber Haynesworth
SEA CB Marcus Trufant

CIN tagged RT Stacy Andrews. That means RDE/LDE Justin Smith will unbdoutedly walk. Before anyone gets too excited, Smith has 2 sacks last season.

Patler
02-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Just 3 more days left for teams to designate tagged players.
10 days left to the start of the FA signing period.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Just 3 more days left for teams to designate tagged players.
10 days left to the start of the FA signing period.

Will probably see like ten players get tagged within that time.

twoseven
02-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Can the same player be tagged in succesive years, or is it one and done?

Zool
02-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Walter Jones in Seattle was tagged 3 years consecutively.

twoseven
02-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Then I'm curious about your tenure in he league and if that has any effect on a team's right to tag you in succesive seasons.

Patler
02-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Walter Jones in Seattle was tagged 3 years consecutively.

That was before the most recent CBA, which now contains the informally called "Walter Jones Provision". Basically, any player designated the third time will be payed like a quarterback!

Any Club that designates a player as a Franchise Player for the third time shall, on the date the third such designation is made, be deemed to have tendered the player a one-year NFL Player Contract for the greater of: (1) the average of the five largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position (within the categories set forth in Section 7(a) below) with the highest such average; (2) 120% of the average of the five largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position (within the categories set forth in Section 7(a) below) at which the player played the most games during the prior League Year; or (3) 144% of his Prior Year Salary. By way of example, a kicker designated as a Franchise Player for the third time in the 2007 League Year would have a Required Tender equal to the greater of: (i) the average of the five largest 2006 Salaries for quarterbacks; (ii) 120% of the average of the five largest 2006 Salaries for kickers; or (iii) 144% of the player’s own 2006 Salary. If the Club designates the player as a Franchise Player for the third time, the designating Club shall be the only Club with which the player may negotiate or sign a Player Contract. In lieu of designating such a player as a Franchise Player for the third time, any Club may designate such player as a Transition Player pursuant to Section 3 below.

twoseven
02-18-2008, 03:20 PM
So basically a team has to have multiple FAs to decide upon at tag time to be losing one to FA.

Patler
02-18-2008, 03:23 PM
So basically a team has to have multiple FAs to decide upon at tag time to be losing one to FA.

If I understand what you are saying, not necessarily. Teams often do not use their franchise or transition tags, so even with only one FA they can lose him.

twoseven
02-18-2008, 03:55 PM

If I understand what you are saying, not necessarily. Teams often do not use their franchise or transition tags, so even with only one FA they can lose him.
Yeah, I understand that part, ala we just let CW walk this year.

No, I meant if multiple FAs want to test the market their current team has little that they can do with only one franchise tag. I realize they could go with the transitional, but that's hardly the deterrent that the franchise is. If three FAs want to test the market at least one will go scott free.

Question becomes how is Lance Briggs guaranteed to go free, this seems to be the consensus all last season?

I am also just wondering to myself what it will take for Jared Allen to get to FA this year, it seems KC has him for awhile if they so choose.

MJZiggy
02-18-2008, 04:00 PM
I thought with Briggs, they tagged him with the promise that they wouldn't do it again. They do that sometimes to placate a player who really doesn't want to be tagged.

twoseven
02-18-2008, 04:06 PM
I thought with Briggs, they tagged him with the promise that they wouldn't do it again. They do that sometimes to placate a player who really doesn't want to be tagged.
They promised him? Wouldn't that be funny if they tagged him tomorrow.. :lol:

The Leaper
02-18-2008, 04:12 PM
I thought with Briggs, they tagged him with the promise that they wouldn't do it again.

I think that promise was also written into the actual contract...even though the player is tagged, he still has to sign a contract. I doubt the Bears could legally tag him again...unless Briggs has a bunch of inept agents working for him.

MJZiggy
02-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Well, it IS Chicago.... :lol:

twoseven
02-18-2008, 04:25 PM
My fault, they tagged Grossman today, Briggs is free as a bird.

MJZiggy
02-18-2008, 04:33 PM
They tagged GROSSMAN??? LMAO!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: (so I guess this means Barak can stop asking to borrow Favre?)

twoseven
02-18-2008, 04:39 PM
They tagged GROSSMAN??? LMAO!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: (so I guess this means Barak can stop asking to borrow Favre?)

Well, it IS Chicago.... :lol:

Gotcha, sorry.

KYPack
02-18-2008, 05:27 PM
My fault, they tagged Grossman today, Briggs is free as a bird.

Tagged Grossman, cut Muhammed, Da Barz braintrust is hard at work! That's great for us. Those boys are dangerous when they try to think.

The poster was right, they'll be 10 or more guys tagged by next week.

Scott Campbell
02-18-2008, 05:42 PM

Who the hell was going to sign him? Some Arena team league?

da Bears

twoseven
02-18-2008, 05:50 PM
I was kidding about that hump Grossman, his own mother wouldn't tag him.

MJZiggy
02-18-2008, 05:52 PM
It's ok, the laughter was worth it... :lol: :lol: Every now and again you need a good belly laugh. Proven medical benefits and all that...

twoseven
02-18-2008, 05:52 PM

Who the hell was going to sign him? Some Arena team league?

da Bears
The Dolphins or the Falcons. So, you were right in your assumption.

Scott Campbell
02-18-2008, 08:36 PM

I think this may have been a PackerRats hoax. I can't find a confirming report.

Brando19
02-18-2008, 08:39 PM

I think this may have been a PackerRats hoax. I can't find a confirming report.

He said he was joking.

MJZiggy
02-18-2008, 08:40 PM

Done for comedic effect, Scott. And well played at that. Best laugh I had all day.

Scott Campbell
02-18-2008, 08:46 PM
I need to pay better attention.

KYPack
02-18-2008, 09:20 PM

That was a good rib, 27. It was so goofy, I figured the Bears did it.

Only 1 per season & an extra on April 1, that's the rule.

MJZiggy
02-18-2008, 09:26 PM
I don't know KY, there may be extra leeway for them being actually funny...

KYPack
02-22-2008, 03:50 PM
Player Team Designation 2008 salary

DE Jared Allen Kansas City Non-exclusive franchise $8.879 million
OT-OG Stacy Andrews Cincinnati Non-exclusive franchise $7.455 million
CB Nnamdi Asomugha Oakland Exclusive franchise At least $9.465 million
OLB Karlos Dansby Arizona Non-exclusive franchise $8.065 million
OT Jordan Gross Carolina Non-exclusive franchise $7.455 million
S Ken Hamlin Dallas Non-exclusive franchise $4.396 million
DT Albert Haynesworth Tennessee Non-exclusive franchise $7.250 million
TE L.J. Smith Philadelphia Non-exclusive franchise $4.522 million
OT Max Starks Pittsburgh Transition $6.895 million
OLB-DE Terrell Suggs Baltimore Non-exclusive franchise $8.065 million
CB Marcus Trufant Seattle Non-exclusive franchise $9.465 million
DT Corey Williams Green Bay Non-exclusive franchise $6.363 million

Scott Campbell
02-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Amazing. Look at the disparity between CB and Safety.

KYPack
02-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Amazing. Look at the disparity between CB and Safety.

Don't let yer son be a safety. Teach him his steps so he can play CB (for the Raiduz)

twoseven
02-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the Who's who of basically all the different players I was daydreaming about a month ago that TT might have had a shot at in FA should he so choose. Almost every single name I can recall wondering about is on there.

KYPack
02-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the Who's who of basically all the different players I was daydreaming about a month ago that TT might have had a shot at in FA should he so choose. Almost every single name I can recall wondering about is on there.

Yeah. Give me those defensive players & I'll give you some bad plays & stop ya cold!

twoseven
02-22-2008, 05:18 PM

Yeah. Give me those defensive players & I'll give you some bad plays & stop ya cold!
I didn't want them all, just one. Allen in place of KGB/Jenkins OR Ashomunga in place of Harris OR Dansby in place of Poppy was about it. But most of the others would be upgrades at many of our spots.

I just thought it was funny that one name after another that I thought would be a sweet individual upgrade went bye-bye.

KYPack
02-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Well, we did get one from that list.

twoseven
02-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Well, we did get one from that list.
He's not the one I was hoping for.