PDA

View Full Version : Smart Phones

Partial
02-12-2008, 08:43 AM
What smart phones do you guys use and are you happy with it? What is the advantage of a blackberry versus say a Palm?

I cannot afford a Blackberry plan, but am switching to the 30 dollar Sprint SERO plan where you get nationwide coverage, unlimited data and unlimited text as well as night and weekends starting at 6.

Partial
02-12-2008, 02:41 PM
man, no love.

Zool
02-12-2008, 02:44 PM
No love for the king.

I use a Razr. Tons of blackberries floating around my work though. They are stable enough, and if you are in Wi-Fi radius, can hit Exchange servers easy enough.

hoosier
02-12-2008, 03:24 PM
I've found this one to be especially versatile. Don't use it in public or around small kids though, everyone will want to have a turn.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/77/039_14080~Get-Smart-Posters.jpg

Charles Woodson
02-12-2008, 04:47 PM
The pearl is what i have, and it works good. but remember that if you cant aford a blackberry plan, it wont have all the perks of it.

SkinBasket
02-12-2008, 04:54 PM
The pearl is what i have, and it works good.

We're talking phones, not vibrators. I prefer the scorpion myself.

MJZiggy
02-12-2008, 04:56 PM
My phone is pretty smart. When I dial, it calls the person. Therefore it does what I need a phone to do.

Joemailman
02-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Mine has a digital clock on the display, so if I forget my watch I still know what time it is.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-12-2008, 06:28 PM
What kind of post is this? Weren't you extolling the virtues of the Iphone just mere months ago?

SkinBasket
02-12-2008, 06:55 PM
What kind of post is this? Weren't you extolling the virtues of the Iphone just mere months ago?

He's a poor college student. He can't afford an i-Phone. Unless he spends my money on that instead of his tuition.

MJZiggy
02-12-2008, 06:59 PM

He's a poor college student. He can't afford an i-Phone. Unless he spends my money on that instead of his tuition.

Aww come on Skin, you were at the Posters weekend. Cut the kid a break. You know he didn't waste our tax dollars on an i-phone--he spent that money on the expensive Badger jersey he was wearing...

Freak Out
02-12-2008, 07:29 PM
I have a Blackberry 8700c and it works fine for what it's made to do...although the phone gives me problems in Alaska.
I bought an iphone for my wife at Christmas when ATT came back to Alaska and she loves it. I do a load of emails on my Blackberry and I feel that is it's strong point and not the iphone's so I'll stick with it for now.

Partial
02-12-2008, 09:12 PM

The iPhone is money in the bank and revolutionizing phones. I argued its a great phone, albeit it way overpriced. You were the one touting the windows mobile based HTC Touch which is not nearly as nice as an iPhone. I will give you I have warmed up to Windows Mobile slightly, but it still pals in comparison to OS X. Also, the iPhones UI is lightyears ahead. However, in both cases, I need tactile feedback and I have to dock any phone without a physical keyboard points.

I however, cannot afford it. Personally I am hoping a phone similiar to the HTC Mogul or the Palm Centro comes out with Android before June at about 150 bucks. Mobile Safari which is a variant of the same open-source mobile browser Google is using is absoutely excellent.

pacfan
02-12-2008, 09:13 PM
I have a Blackberry 8830, great phone. E-mail, web browser, GPS, texting, and its blue-tooth enabled.

Very expensive, however.

Partial
02-12-2008, 09:13 PM

Aww come on Skin, you were at the Posters weekend. Cut the kid a break. You know he didn't waste our tax dollars on an i-phone--he spent that money on the expensive Badger jersey he was wearing...

You mean that 35 dollar after discount Badger jersey I bought with a 30 dollar gift card in my cubby and 5 dollars?

SkinBasket
02-12-2008, 09:28 PM
You mean that 35 dollar after discount Badger jersey I bought with a 30 dollar gift card in my cubby and 5 dollars?

What does this mean? Is this some new term the kids are using these days? Like, "Yo! Don't get all up in my cubby bro!"

I'm serious. WTF does "in my cubby" mean?

Partial
02-12-2008, 09:39 PM
we have little cubby's at Sears. Or miniature lockers if you will.

Freak Out
02-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Like a cubbie hole. That's old school shit ya fucker.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-12-2008, 09:49 PM

The iPhone is money in the bank and revolutionizing phones. I argued its a great phone, albeit it way overpriced. You were the one touting the windows mobile based HTC Touch which is not nearly as nice as an iPhone. I will give you I have warmed up to Windows Mobile slightly, but it still pals in comparison to OS X. Also, the iPhones UI is lightyears ahead. However, in both cases, I need tactile feedback and I have to dock any phone without a physical keyboard points.

I however, cannot afford it. Personally I am hoping a phone similiar to the HTC Mogul or the Palm Centro comes out with Android before June at about 150 bucks. Mobile Safari which is a variant of the same open-source mobile browser Google is using is absoutely excellent.

Why can't you..didn't you just sell your mini laptop.

I still tout other phones. AT&T blows.

Lightyears: LOL.

Bottom line is very few corps are jumping on the iphone cause it is a security risk and getting it to sync with exchange,etc. isn't worth the hassle.

Partial
02-12-2008, 10:27 PM
I agree with that.

No, I can't afford an iPhone nor would I want to. Waste of money for what I need. Palm Centro would really be perfect but the browser sucks. Android phones should be out by summer so that will be infinitely excellent.

Want to stick with sprint for the SERO offer and ever increasing EV-DO speeds. Would prefer something I can tether as well.

LL2
02-13-2008, 08:27 AM
I just bought the Samsung Blackjack II for $100 (after $100 rebate) and I like it. I'm not sure if it's a smart phone, but I like it. I can access personal and work email. I have it set up for updated stock quotes and other stuff. I can see how people put their lives into these phones. It will do for me until more sofisticated phones like the iPhone get cheaper. I'm curious to see what the Google Android phone will be like.

Partial
02-13-2008, 10:34 AM
I just bought the Samsung Blackjack II for $100 (after $100 rebate) and I like it. I'm not sure if it's a smart phone, but I like it. I can access personal and work email. I have it set up for updated stock quotes and other stuff. I can see how people put their lives into these phones. It will do for me until more sofisticated phones like the iPhone get cheaper. I'm curious to see what the Google Android phone will be like.

Android is actually a software platform that can be used on many phones. When Google announced the "open handset alliance", they said it was about a million phones instead of one. They are making the tools and the development tools readily available to anyone interested in making an app.