PDA

View Full Version : No Brett -> Vince Young?

Harlan Huckleby
04-02-2006, 10:25 PM
It seems like Vince Young's low wonderlic took him down a notch in media buzz.

I don't hear anybody in this forum very interested in drafting the guy. Personally, I think you have to consider him whether Favre stays or goes. But for the sake of argument, lets say Favre retires, and VY is sitting there at #5, and Thompson takes a chance.

How you feeling about it? I think it would be great. I don't know if it is worth the risk, but as a fan, I'm really excited to see what happens. And VY is a great athlete, huge upside.

MJZiggy
04-02-2006, 10:28 PM
I gotta wonder how he'll do under center. There was also talk about the possibility of a team drafting him and moving him to WR which sounds interesting to me as well.

Harlan Huckleby
04-02-2006, 10:30 PM
hey, the Packers can use a WR.

I just think he is a sure-thing to be a good football player. And possibly a great QB.

Only about half the first round QB's pan-out. so what's wrong with having two of um?

esoxx
04-02-2006, 10:41 PM
To me, Young is the biggest boom or bust pick in this draft. Personally, at the top of the draft I wouldn't mind a pick where there is a huge upside (but of course risk) like Mario or Young present. It is the blue chip studs that MAKE A DIFFERENCE in this league and can take over games. Young has that type of potential. I personally would not mind if TT picks him. I don't think whether Favre comes back or not should matter either b/c Favre is playing on a short clock anyhow.

QB is a different animal than all the other positions. If there is a Franchise QB sitting there and you pass, you will rue the decision for years. Look at Detroit with Harrington. What was he, the #3 pick overall? B/c they had picked Joey that high they wanted to give him every chance and passed on a guy like Ben Rothlisberger. Same with the Ravens and Boller. How long have they been waiting on that guy?

No, at the end of the day you don't pass up potential Franchise QB's IF you think they can play in this league.

All I know is that Young devastated a jaugernaut team like USC, one with a former NFL coach and defensive mastermind at the helm. He was a one man wrecking crew and it was on the biggest stage at the college level.

The million dollar question is, can he transfer that to the NFL? Some team will either be delighted to find that he can, or chagrined that he failed. Remeber, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

packrulz
04-03-2006, 05:08 AM
Young has too many question marks IMO. His Wonderlick score, his throwing delivery, his tendancy to scramble, & the fact he played mostly shotgun in college worries me. I'd feel better if TT takes Mario, Hawk, or Davis and take Brodie Croyle later if he feels Brett isn't coming back.

hurleyfan
04-03-2006, 06:39 AM
I think there are too many questions with Young to take him as our first pick (at least @number 5). Like many folks have already mentioned, his mechanics leave alot to be desired, hasn't played under center - (PRO style offense), and even though he pretty much beat a real good USC team, tat defense gave up lots of points and yards against other opponents.

There is no doubt Young is a great athelete, but not sure if this type of QB will ever really pan out in the NFL.. There's been many great running QB's in college, all touted as the next great thing, and none have been consistant winners.. If Mike Vick can't win, what makes us think Young can win in Green Bay, playing outside in bad weather with the two tackles being the only decent players on the O-Line? :roll:

AtownPackFan
04-03-2006, 07:50 AM
I think there are too many questions with Young to take him as our first pick (at least @number 5). Like many folks have already mentioned, his mechanics leave alot to be desired, hasn't played under center - (PRO style offense), and even though he pretty much beat a real good USC team, tat defense gave up lots of points and yards against other opponents.

There is no doubt Young is a great athelete, but not sure if this type of QB will ever really pan out in the NFL.. There's been many great running QB's in college, all touted as the next great thing, and none have been consistant winners.. If Mike Vick can't win, what makes us think Young can win in Green Bay, playing outside in bad weather with the two tackles being the only decent players on the O-Line? :roll:

Just curious, what did you say about Favre the first couple of years he played?

There is a very good chance that Young turns out to be the best QB that comes out of this draft.

HarveyWallbangers
04-03-2006, 08:41 AM
For this offense, would you rather have Vince Young, Jay Cutler, or Aaron Rodgers?

hurleyfan
04-03-2006, 08:53 AM

There is a very good chance that Young turns out to be the best QB that comes out of this draft.
Atown,
You're right, there is a chance Young could turn out to be the best QB coming out of this draft, but my feelings are based on what we know about him now, his questionable mechanics, not playing under center, and his desire to run first. I won't even mention his wonderlic score.. Just my opinion..

As far as how I felt about Favre the first couple of years, I never heard of him until Wolfe traded for him, then I said, who the fvck is he? He didn't have this huge media frenzy & following touting him as the best thing since sliced bread. After seeing him play, I'm sure I felt the same as many Packer fans, if he doesn't settle down and make better decisions, get him off the field. He turned out to be pretty good, and Young may also..

Deputy Nutz
04-03-2006, 08:55 AM
I think at number 5, Thompson has to consider every option. Does that mean Vick, opps I mean Young is the best choice to run the McCarthy offense?

Has Rogers had enough time to prove his worth?
As fans every year during the draft, we get very narrow minded. We think that this group of quarterbacks, or recievers, or linebackers will be the only choices in the next 10 years. When in fact every year has a can't miss QB, or RB. Building a franchise is a process, a marathon if you will, not a 100 meter dash.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Alex Smith played out of the shut gun, while Rodgers played in a pro style west coast O, and Smith still was drafted ahead of Rodgers. Taking the ball from the center is the equivalent of a rb taking the ball from his qb on handoffs. Not hard to execute.

If Aaron Brooks and Smith can run the west coast, so can Young. Still, i would draft Michael Huff instead.

MJZiggy
04-03-2006, 10:09 AM
I think the thing everyone has to remember is that no other factor matters to TT except taking the best football player available (in HIS opinion) when he makes his pick. I'm sure he has a pretty good idea of who he wants and that's the name we'll be hearing in 26 days (and counting).

Anti-Polar Bear
04-03-2006, 10:25 AM
I think the thing everyone has to remember is that no other factor matters to TT except taking the best football player available (in HIS opinion) when he makes his pick. I'm sure he has a pretty good idea of who he wants and that's the name we'll be hearing in 26 days (and counting).

I don't think Rodgers was the best player aboard when Thompson took him. The Redskins drafted the QB from Auburn right after the Rodgers pick. They would probably still have taken that guy over Rodgers if he was still around. Logan Mankins was the player thompson should have drafted.

I think Rodgers was a personal pick, on Thompson's part. Thompson, being the person he is, sees Rodgers sitting at his table for 5 hours, and he couldnt take it anymore and drafted Rodgers out of pity. Thats my theory.

MJZiggy
04-03-2006, 10:30 AM
I don't think TT does anything out of pity...

Harlan Huckleby
04-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Well, even you guys who think Vince Young is a poor risk at #5, if TT actually made the deal, wouldn't that increase your interest in the Packers? There would be Vince Young fever, people would be so incredibly excited at seeing him play, because of possibity of greatness.

MJZiggy
04-03-2006, 10:32 AM
...and so incredibly pissed if he busts! :shock:

Anti-Polar Bear
04-03-2006, 10:33 AM
I don't think TT does anything out of pity...

Well, in addition to the Rodgers pick, Thompson did seem to sign Arturo Freeman out of pity. :shock:

FavreChild
04-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Like most, I would not be especially pleased to select VY - or any QB for that matter - in the first round.

But fact is, we *are* going to need to add at least one more QB to the roster. (Tom Arth is going to be our third stringer? Really??) Would I rather have it be Vince Young than...oh, I don't know...Paul Pinegar?

Yeah, I guess so.

Fritz
04-04-2006, 05:30 AM
Teams seem to be suddenly leary of ol' Vince, who, in the weeks after the Bowl game, was rumored to be going #2 or #4 overall. How would people like it if TT traded down, picked upa second rounder, and still nabbed the guy?

hurleyfan
04-04-2006, 05:49 AM
Welcome to the site Fritz!

I wouldn't be surprised if TT trades down for extra picks, but don't think Young is going to last very long. There are quite a few teams that would take him, I just don't think the Pack should be one of them. Regardless if TT trades down for more picks, or stays at #5, he needs to select PLAYERS that can contribute now..

HarveyWallbangers
04-04-2006, 07:37 AM
Actually, Vince seems to be back on the rise after his Pro Day. I've read scouts say that he looked better than they thought he would throwing the ball. It will be interesting to see where he goes. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tennessee or the Jets draft him.

swede
04-04-2006, 07:51 AM

Wolf was thought to be nuts the moment he gave up a first round pick for a 2nd round draft choice with a cannon arm that was thought to be an undisciplined party boy.

It was Brett that shut everybody up the moment he stepped on the felt after Majik went down. He brought excitement and character to a team that badly needed personality and attitude.

I don't like VY at #5 and I am not convinced he'll be any better than slash was at Pittsburgh.

Hawk, Davis, or trade down.

Chubbyhubby
04-04-2006, 10:21 AM
I agree. Last month in the Media TT mentioned that he "might consider" nabbing a QB with the #5 overall pick I think it was just put out there so other teams that need a QB could be lured in obtaing the #5 pick for a boat load of extra picks. TT likes to build the team around the draft instead of Free Agency so I can see muliply trades to get more picks.

VInce Young might be a franchise QB for some team but not ours. Green Bay runs an West Coast offense that Rodgers played during college.. He has spent 1 year in the system. M3 and A-Rod have a working relationship already. Young didn't play a west coast offense in college. If Favre retires the job is A-Rod's nuff said.

For the question on who the Packers should pick at #5 or in the first round pending a trade... would I go defense or offense? Hawk would be the "safe pick" Davis is intreging though.... If D'Brick is there at #5 I would take him over Hawk hands down. You don't get see many OL with his ability coming out of college that often. We need a OL to shore up a weak O-line.

hurleyfan
04-04-2006, 10:26 AM
I agree. Last month in the Media TT mentioned that he "might consider" nabbing a QB with the #5 overall pick I think it was just put out there so other teams that need a QB could be lured in obtaing the #5 pick for a boat load of extra picks. TT likes to build the team around the draft instead of Free Agency so I can see muliply trades to get more picks.

VInce Young might be a franchise QB for some team but not ours. Green Bay runs an West Coast offense that Rodgers played during college.. He has spent 1 year in the system. M3 and A-Rod have a working relationship already. Young didn't play a west coast offense in college. If Favre retires the job is A-Rod's nuff said.

For the question on who the Packers should pick at #5 or in the first round pending a trade... would I go defense or offense? Hawk would be the "safe pick" Davis is intreging though.... If D'Brick is there at #5 I would take him over Hawk hands down. You don't get see many OL with his ability coming out of college that often. We need a OL to shore up a weak O-line.
I can't see taking D'Brick (he only plays tackle far as I know)..

AtownPackFan
04-04-2006, 11:29 AM
Swede,

My point was that Brett came out of nowhere, ok maybe a bar in Atlanta, and turned this team into a contendor. He didn't do it overnight but what he did bring immediately was excitement.

Personally I think Young would bring excitement to the game as well after watching him play in the championship game.

The guy has heart, desire to win, and a get it done anyway you have to attitude. In that sense, not much different then Brett and he runs faster which could come in very handy the way our OL is shaping up.

Sparkey
04-04-2006, 12:51 PM
To me, Young is the biggest boom or bust pick in this draft. Personally, at the top of the draft I wouldn't mind a pick where there is a huge upside (but of course risk) like Mario or Young present. It is the blue chip studs that MAKE A DIFFERENCE in this league and can take over games. Young has that type of potential. I personally would not mind if TT picks him. I don't think whether Favre comes back or not should matter either b/c Favre is playing on a short clock anyhow.

QB is a different animal than all the other positions. If there is a Franchise QB sitting there and you pass, you will rue the decision for years. Look at Detroit with Harrington. What was he, the #3 pick overall? B/c they had picked Joey that high they wanted to give him every chance and passed on a guy like Ben Rothlisberger. Same with the Ravens and Boller. How long have they been waiting on that guy?

No, at the end of the day you don't pass up potential Franchise QB's IF you think they can play in this league.

All I know is that Young devastated a jaugernaut team like USC, one with a former NFL coach and defensive mastermind at the helm. He was a one man wrecking crew and it was on the biggest stage at the college level.

The million dollar question is, can he transfer that to the NFL? Some team will either be delighted to find that he can, or chagrined that he failed. Remeber, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

USC might have had a juggernaut OFFENSE, but their defense wasn't all that great. I blieve they gave up a ton of points to UCLA and Oregon, so the fact that Young went off on USC shouldn't be all that surprising.

Sparkey
04-04-2006, 12:55 PM
Swede,

My point was that Brett came out of nowhere, ok maybe a bar in Atlanta, and turned this team into a contendor. He didn't do it overnight but what he did bring immediately was excitement.

Personally I think Young would bring excitement to the game as well after watching him play in the championship game.

The guy has heart, desire to win, and a get it done anyway you have to attitude. In that sense, not much different then Brett and he runs faster which could come in very handy the way our OL is shaping up.

A #5 pick of Young by the PACK would be the worst long-term draft choice since Tony Mandarich was selected. You take a blue chip player at #5, and Young is not that.

Harlan Huckleby
04-04-2006, 01:02 PM
You take a blue chip player at #5, and Young is not that.

Note to Packer Rats Archivist: please put a special designation next to this post that it is can be easily retrieved in two years.

AtownPackFan
04-04-2006, 01:09 PM

Note to Packer Rats Archivist: please put a special designation next to this post that it is can be easily retrieved in two years.

I was thinking the same thing. There is something about Young that makes me think he is going to be a star in the NFL with someone.

While he may not fit the present Green Bay offense, that doesn't mean he would not be a great addition to the team. There are times when you take a player and design an offense around him. While Young may not be that guy, it is short sighted to say that simply because a guy doesn't fit your mold you don't take him.

Sparkey
04-04-2006, 11:11 PM

I was thinking the same thing. There is something about Young that makes me think he is going to be a star in the NFL with someone.

While he may not fit the present Green Bay offense, that doesn't mean he would not be a great addition to the team. There are times when you take a player and design an offense around him. While Young may not be that guy, it is short sighted to say that simply because a guy doesn't fit your mold you don't take him.

Answer this: Is Vince Young a quarterback who can run or is Vince Young a great athlete that can run ?

He has flawed throwing mechanics, namely the side arm delivery, and he has average at best accuracy. Can the man run and elude tacklers ? Of course. He is probably the best "athlete" to ever play Qb for a college team.

Could I be wrong ? Sure I could. But if you took away 30% of his running ability is he still a great QB prospect or not ?