PDA

View Full Version : Goodell whimped out.

packinpatland
02-13-2008, 06:44 PM
JMO.... :roll:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/02/13/specter.goodell.ap/index.html

the_idle_threat
02-13-2008, 07:01 PM
I don't get why they're threatening Congressional hearings. Over what? They must need something to do.

This was a league business matter that it handled and considered over with.

If I got called into a meeting with my employer and was confronted with evidence of wrongdoing (e.g. posting at Packerrats :oops: ), my employer and I agreed upon sanctions, and then my employer detroyed said evidence of my wrongdoing, that would be their right. It is an internal business matter. Why is that wrong?

It would be different if the wrongdoing was something that is illegal, but the taping was simply against company (i.e. league) policy.

Why do outside regulators even have any reason to start sniffing around? The answer: political opportunism.

I'm with Goodell on this one.

Jimx29
02-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Goodell: 'I have nothing to hide'
NFL commish doesn't regret destroying Spygate tapes

People that have nothing to hide do not destroy things.

packinpatland
02-13-2008, 07:09 PM

Exactly.

the_idle_threat
02-13-2008, 07:12 PM
If they beleived the content of the tapes was against league policy because it gives unfair advantage, then it makes sense to destroy the tapes when the investigation is complete, so that nobody else gains unfair advantage from getting ahold of and watching the tapes.

So in short, I disagree.

Charles Woodson
02-13-2008, 07:23 PM
If they beleived the content of the tapes was against league policy because it gives unfair advantage, then it makes sense to destroy the tapes when the investigation is complete, so that nobody else gains unfair advantage from getting ahold of and watching the tapes.

So in short, I disagree.

I think that Goodell is hiding something, and is getting called on it. I feel like he doesnt want his legacy to be remembered as a big mess,

the_idle_threat
02-13-2008, 07:28 PM
If you mulch a banana peel, are you trying to hide that you ate a banana? You people are reading way too much into a routine league matter.

Charles Woodson
02-13-2008, 07:30 PM
If you mulch a banana peel, are you trying to hide that you ate a banana? You people are reading way too much into a routine league matter.

im more referring to the Super Bowl allegations.

MJZiggy
02-13-2008, 07:30 PM
You people are reading way too much into a routine league matter.

It's the off season and we don't like Belicheat. Why wouldn't we read into this?

BallHawk
02-13-2008, 07:37 PM
I think we should just go ahead and make Bud Selig the Commish in every major sports league.

SkinBasket
02-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Commissioners Cock and Balls stand ready to answer the call.

packinpatland
02-13-2008, 07:44 PM

'routine league matter' = largest fine ever levied. Something doesn't add up.

the_idle_threat
02-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Largest fine ever levied ... Salaries and revenues are higher then they've ever been. Adds up just fine in my book.

There's no dispute here that Belichick and the Pats violated league rules. That's why they were fined and were docked a draft pick. That's a plenty big penalty, so why are people still unsatisfied? If anything, it seems like too large a penalty for taping signals that are already in plain sight. Does anybody believe the Pats were the only ones doing it?

This whole story from day one is misdirected outrage, IMO. People who have an axe to grind against the Pats and Belichick are using this overblown story to channel their negative feelings. Mountain out of a molehill.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-13-2008, 08:10 PM
I don't get why they're threatening Congressional hearings. Over what? They must need something to do.

This was a league business matter that it handled and considered over with.

If I got called into a meeting with my employer and was confronted with evidence of wrongdoing (e.g. posting at Packerrats :oops: ), my employer and I agreed upon sanctions, and then my employer detroyed said evidence of my wrongdoing, that would be their right. It is an internal business matter. Why is that wrong?

It would be different if the wrongdoing was something that is illegal, but the taping was simply against company (i.e. league) policy.

Why do outside regulators even have any reason to start sniffing around? The answer: political opportunism.

I'm with Goodell on this one.

Two words...Anti trust.

packinpatland
02-13-2008, 08:20 PM
"Why do outside regulators even have any reason to start sniffing around? The answer: political opportunism. "

Guess you apply the same line of reasoning to the whole steroid use in baseball. :roll:

Bretsky
02-13-2008, 08:35 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/02/13/specter.goodell.ap/index.html

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jR4C6vmDao0&feature=related

packinpatland
02-13-2008, 08:37 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jR4C6vmDao0&feature=related

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm not that bad..........but close. :wink:

jconnor99
02-13-2008, 09:38 PM
quote]

Two words...Anti trust.[/quote]

Tyrone Bigguns has it. Congress has allowed sports teams to bypass Anti Trust laws. This means that congress has an obligation to make sure the sports business is following the rules.

mmmdk
02-14-2008, 04:42 AM

So in short, I disagree.

In short: YOU, Goddell and BB ARE NOT ABOVE THE LAW.

PackerBlues
02-14-2008, 07:25 AM
Owners of other teams have to look at how much money they lost when their teams lost to the Patriots and their cheating ways.

Management of other teams have to wonder if they made the right decisions when evaluating how their coaching staff did against the Patriots and their cheating ways.........How many people lost their coaching jobs because of the way their teams played against the Patriots??? Perhaps it wouldn't have been the #1 deciding factor, but it could have played a large role in that kind of decision.

How many players have lost their starting position because of how they played against the Patriots and their cheating ways?

I agree 100% with JH and what he said in the other post on this subject. I think its a shame that Brady should even be mentioned when people talk about the greatest QB's of all time, because if this taping has been going on since 2000, then Brady has had the benefit of knowing exactly what the other team was going to do on defense, without having to wonder about it, or worry about it, like any other QB would have to. Where as any other QB in the league would have to try to "read" the defense, Brady was simply told what the defense was going to do. Opposite of that, it is very possible that the Patriot defense was told what the opposing offense was going to do, right down to which play was going to be run..........how much easier was it for them with that kind of knowledge?????

So, how will history look back on Brady and the Patriots? As the QB and team that dominated the NFL from 2001-2008, or as a bunch of cheaters barely worth mentioning?

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=coachbio&bio=506

from the above link:

"Belichick has led the Patriots to nine or more victories in each of the last six seasons, making the Patriots the only NFL franchise to accomplish that feat.
The Patriots' four straight years of playoff advancement mark the longest such streak in the NFL and their string of four straight division crowns is a team record and is tied for the longest current streak in the league."

Well, that is something to be proud of.....but......oh yeah, they CHEATED!!!

"Belichick's accomplishments have placed him among the NFL's elite coaches. Belichick has led the Patriots to a 70-26 (.729) regular-season record since 2001, which is the best in the NFL over that period. New England's 12 playoff wins since 2001 are also a league best. Belichick owns a career playoff record of 13-3, with his .813 playoff winning percentage placing second in NFL history behind only the legendary Vince Lombardi (9-1, .900). Belichick's 13 career playoff wins rank fifth all-time."

Great, so Belichick gets to have his name right up there with Lombardi's in the record books........along with an asterisk (*) that points out that he......CHEATED!!!!!!!

"From 2003-04, Belichick directed the Patriots through the most prosperous two-year period for any team in NFL history, netting back-to-back Super Bowl victories and consecutive 17-2 campaigns. The team's 34 victories in 2003-04 mark the highest two-year win total in the NFL's 87-year history. A winning streak of 21 consecutive games - also unprecedented in NFL annals - spanned the two seasons."

"the most prosperous two-year period for any team in NFL history".......... :wow: , that is impressive........until you take into account the fact that they CHEATED!!!!!

Isn't it funny how all these years, Brady and the Patriots made the game of football look so damned easy? Do ya all think that perhaps, its because.......they CHEATED???

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/trickyblue/patriots-cheaters.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/trickyblue/cheaties.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/trickyblue/cheaties2.jpg

packinpatland
02-14-2008, 07:41 AM
PackerBlues, to be honest, I don't care much for your Wheaties boxes........
having said that. ........

It really is my opinion that the Patriots are a very good team, Brady is a very good QB, BB is a very good coach. (Yes Bretsky, I'm saying that) In all likelyhood they may still have won all the games they won.........without 'cheating'. But the facts are there. And now it'll always be in doubt. Not fair to the team, not fair to the fans, not fair to the whole NFL.

Cheesehead Craig
02-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Specter has a right to call out a shoddy investigation by a company that has an anti trust exemption. Why destroy evidence? If the police or the FBI did that, there would be a huge uproar. Same thing. Destroying evidence means you are attempting to cover up something. Simply because they received a penalty does not mean it was the correct penalty.

The NFL tries to market itself as a company for all of America. They demand public funding for stadiums. They want to be ingraned into the public fabic. They simply cannot say "this is our problem we will deal with it our way" when something of this magnitude comes along.

You can't have a reality show, then whine about privacy and then decide to not show everything when it suits you.

PackerBlues
02-14-2008, 09:43 AM
PackerBlues, to be honest, I don't care much for your Wheaties boxes........
having said that. ........

It really is my opinion that the Patriots are a very good team, Brady is a very good QB, BB is a very good coach. (Yes Bretsky, I'm saying that) In all likelyhood they may still have won all the games they won.........without 'cheating'. But the facts are there. And now it'll always be in doubt. Not fair to the team, not fair to the fans, not fair to the whole NFL.

Those are not Wheaties boxes........they are Cheaties boxes. :taunt:

As the head coach of the Browns from '91-'95, Belicheat had a 36-44 record overall, and his team went 5-11 in his last season before he was fired.
In 2000, Belicheat was hired as the head coach of the patriots and the team ended the season at 5-11. It was Belicheats last losing season........it was also the year that he started his video collection of opposing teams signals.

It's my opinion that the Patriots are a cheating team, Brady is a cheating QB, and Bill Belecheat is a cheating coach.

After this little scandal, the only way Brady could possibly redeem himself, would be to continue to have the same success.......with a different Head Coach. As for Belicheat, I doubt that he will ever live down his reputation as a cheating pric.

packinpatland
02-14-2008, 09:57 AM
As the head coach of the Browns from '91-'95, Belicheat had a 36-44 record overall, and his team went 5-11 in his last season before he was fired.
In 2000, Belicheat was hired as the head coach of the patriots and the team ended the season at 5-11. It was Belicheats last losing season........it was also the year that he started his video collection of opposing teams signals.

It's my opinion that the Patriots are a cheating team, Brady is a cheating QB, and Bill Belecheat is a cheating coach.

After this little scandal, the only way Brady could possibly redeem himself, would be to continue to have the same success.......with a different Head Coach. As for Belicheat, I doubt that he will ever live down his reputation as a cheating pric.

I agree with all of the above except, I don't think Brady is a cheating QB. He doesn't call his own plays, they're sent in. He just does his job, and he's good at.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-14-2008, 10:44 AM
quote]

Two words...Anti trust.

Tyrone Bigguns has it. Congress has allowed sports teams to bypass Anti Trust laws. This means that congress has an obligation to make sure the sports business is following the rules.[/quote]

Jconnor, you don't post often, but when you do your posts are fully of wisdom. :D

Tyrone Bigguns
02-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Specter has a right to call out a shoddy investigation by a company that has an anti trust exemption. Why destroy evidence? If the police or the FBI did that, there would be a huge uproar. Same thing. Destroying evidence means you are attempting to cover up something. Simply because they received a penalty does not mean it was the correct penalty.

The NFL tries to market itself as a company for all of America. They demand public funding for stadiums. They want to be ingraned into the public fabic. They simply cannot say "this is our problem we will deal with it our way" when something of this magnitude comes along.

You can't have a reality show, then whine about privacy and then decide to not show everything when it suits you.

Craig, destroying evidence (at least in this case) isn't illegal nor does it HAVE to mean they are covering something up. What it does do, like Roger Clemens contacting the nanny after 7 years of not talking to her, is give the impression of impropriety.

Sports have to remain above the suspicion of impropriety. As fans we need it, and VEGAS certainly needs it.

MadtownPacker
02-14-2008, 12:49 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/trickyblue/cheaties.jpg http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/trickyblue/cheaties2.jpg
Free Harrison syringe?? Hahaha!

These are sweet man!! Hadn't seen them yet.

Cheesehead Craig
02-14-2008, 02:07 PM

Craig, destroying evidence (at least in this case) isn't illegal nor does it HAVE to mean they are covering something up. What it does do, like Roger Clemens contacting the nanny after 7 years of not talking to her, is give the impression of impropriety.

Sports have to remain above the suspicion of impropriety. As fans we need it, and VEGAS certainly needs it.
I know it's not illegal, just damn suspicious and it stinks like that smell when you pass out from too much crack and wake up in your own piss and sh!t.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-14-2008, 02:46 PM
[quote="Tyrone Bigguns"][quote=Cheesehead Craig]when you pass out from too much crack and wake up in your own piss and sh!t.

Ah, good times!!!

woodbuck27
02-14-2008, 03:01 PM

Yup.

twoseven
02-14-2008, 04:01 PM
"Why do outside regulators even have any reason to start sniffing around? The answer: political opportunism. "

Guess you apply the same line of reasoning to the whole steroid use in baseball. :roll:

The government didn't really get involved with the steroids in baseball saga until Selig proved he was too afraid of Donald Fehr to impose real penalties on players that tested positive. His suggestion was initially to the tune of

first offense - 10 games
2nd offense - 30 games
3rd offense - 60 games
..5th offense - lifetime ban

This pissed off the govt and many fans as it appeared hardly a slap on the wrist, it was a joke and sent a signal to Congress that baseball had no intentions of do anything about their steroid problem. Selig and Union head Donald Fehr were taken to task by Congress and threatened with legislation and if they couldn't come up with an adequate penalty structure the govt would get involved. Here's what quickly followed:

first offense - 50 games
2nd offense - 100 games
3rd offense - lifetime ban
Also, testing for amphetamines in baseball.

Nobody wants the govt wasting tax payers money, but this is one case in which I applaud the govt for getting involved. Selig didn't have the balls to stand up to Fehr and the players. The Baseball Union is ridiculously strong and never would have complied without Uncle Sam's attention.