PDA

View Full Version : The Lawnmower hombre

MadtownPacker
02-13-2008, 07:34 PM
I am thinking of planting grass in the backyard but I dont know a damn thing about grass that isnt smoked in a zag.

What kind of seed should be used for? Durability is a major factor but I want it to look nice also so that Bermuda shit is out. I was looking at the KY Bluegrass but Im not sure if it will hold up.

Any of you know about this or can you allow you gardener to post some info?

BallHawk
02-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Irony at its finest.

MadtownPacker
02-13-2008, 07:38 PM
You got me there. I am even surprised I dont know squat about this sheeze.

SkinBasket
02-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Honestly, I just buy two or three bags of whatever seems to be popular (usually bluegrass and some other shit mixed), and cover the fucking ground in the shit, garden weasel it, then cover it again. Then I dump a shitload of fertilizer on it. I may not know what the fuck I'm doing, but a lot of very green grass comes up after a while.

You California fuckers have a different climate and all, so just go to Home Depot and buy a couple of the biggest, cheapest bags they offer. It's only grass seed, you shouldn't be paying out the ass for it.

SkinBasket
02-13-2008, 07:41 PM
What the fuck am I saying. You're in California. Give your local Home Depot parking lot Mexican 50 bucks and tell him to plant your lawn.

MadtownPacker
02-13-2008, 07:43 PM
What the fuck am I saying. You're in California. Give your local Home Depot parking lot Mexican 50 bucks and tell him to plant your lawn.If I walk up and ask them they will likely start laughing their asses off.

SkinBasket
02-13-2008, 07:45 PM
What the fuck am I saying. You're in California. Give your local Home Depot parking lot Mexican 50 bucks and tell him to plant your lawn.If I walk up and ask them they will likely start laughing their asses off.

That's when you slap them with the 50 bucks. They'll get the point.

packinpatland
02-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Don't think CA is much different than AZ.....when we lived there we planted fescue for summer, and then overseeded rye for wintertime. But then we were young......... and obviously enjoyed mowing the lawn 12 months a year. :roll:

......like your new avatar, Mad.

Freak Out
02-13-2008, 07:51 PM
This might help.

http://www.lawngrasses.com/

Tyrone Bigguns
02-13-2008, 08:24 PM
This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff. Here, I've got pounds of this.

packinpatland
02-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Don't think CA is much different than AZ.....when we lived there we planted fescue for summer, and then overseeded rye for wintertime. But then we were young......... and obviously enjoyed mowing the lawn 12 months a year. :roll:

......like your new avatar, Mad.

:oops: opps. My husband says it wasn't fescue, but Bermuda grass. I was right about the rye tho.

Harlan Huckleby
02-13-2008, 08:50 PM
I would go with a natural prairie. You plant a few native species - lazy susans, crab grass, chickweed; get a few prairie chickens to nest. Never mow a lawn again, and neighbors can't do a fricken thing about your nature preserve. Repeatedly flood low-lying corner with hose, plant some cattails and you have yourself a wetland - preservation groups will pay your property taxes.

Scott Campbell
02-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Repeatedly flood low-lying corner with hose, plant some cattails and you have yourself a wetland - preservation groups will pay your property taxes.

Good idea Harlan - thanks for the tax tip!

oregonpackfan
02-13-2008, 09:31 PM
I like the grass seed that has the green colored cellulose/fertilizer mixed in with it. Follow the directions about spreading it and be sure to water it every day for a couple of weeks.

I use this stuff every fall because my daughter's portable swimming pool makes a big circle of killed grass in early September. Using this stuff to replant the grass has been successful.

Iron Mike
02-13-2008, 10:39 PM
I am thinking of planting grass in the backyard but I dont know a damn thing about grass that isnt smoked in a zag.

What kind of seed should be used for? Durability is a major factor but I want it to look nice also so that Bermuda shit is out. I was looking at the KY Bluegrass but Im not sure if it will hold up.

Any of you know about this or can you allow you gardener to post some info?

http://cestanislaus.ucdavis.edu/newsletterfiles/Horticulture_News8007.pdf

MadtownPacker
02-13-2008, 10:50 PM
I like the grass seed that has the green colored cellulose/fertilizer mixed in with it. Follow the directions about spreading it and be sure to water it every day for a couple of weeks.Sounds like you and SB are on the same page. Since he is a stay at home mom and you are a smart guy Im leaning towards what you guys are saying.

Iron Mike, instead of the piss test in your sig you might want to get an eye test or did just miss where I said I dont want Bermuda grass?

GrnBay007
02-13-2008, 11:05 PM
I don't change flat tires, why would I plant grass seed?

:P :wink:

KYPack
02-13-2008, 11:22 PM
If you are planting on dirt, work it with a tooth rake.

lay down the fertilizer next. Get one with as high a nitrogen number as you can get. Don't buy the expensive shit, just get a high nitrogen number

If there is existing grass there, rent a slit seeder, It'll cut slits in the grass to let the seed fall in.

Get Turf Type Tall Fescue seed. Spread it according to the directions. One of those seed spreaders are like $20 -30 , but you'll get the proper coverage.

Water it when you got the seed down and keep it we for at least 3-4 weeks.

You can do the winter overseed with Rye or KY Bluegrass if you want, but I use Turf Type Tall Fescue. it's the best grass seed out now.

Iron Mike
02-13-2008, 11:56 PM
Iron Mike, instead of the piss test in your sig you might want to get an eye test or did just miss where I said I dont want Bermuda grass?

Sorry......I'm used to the coast, where there isn't any grass, but there's ice plant every where you look:

http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/beverly/bt0155.jpg